WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - Gens Ace LiPo versus A123's
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
A the A123 looks pretty good in that test but to make it fair it would be interesting to 'normalise' the graph on a discharge per ounce basis, or simply test the A123 against liPo's of the same weight (a 3s 3600mAh would be about right). I'm sure that the comparison would look a lot more LiPo favourable if done that way.

Also cost being taken into account would be interesting, though I do appreciate that a simple 'cost new' comparison could be misleading as A123 should have longer life.

It's interesting that the Gens Ace falls well short of it's claimed capacity, maybe few cycles on the LiPo may also improve it slightly, as you say. I take it that it was charged fully to 4.2v per cell?

Steve
The LiPo battery was topped off at 4.2 Volts DC per cell on my Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger.

The A123 pack does look pretty good in that test. But, they would add some 4 ounces of weight, and their much larger physical size limits use in a foamie airplane. They simply won't fit.

The bottom line, IMHO, these A123 cells are more suitable for the larger models, perhaps 1KW in size or larger.

I paid $9.00 each for $36 for the four A123 cells from www.voltmanbatteries.com, versus $20 for the 3S1P Gens Ace 2200 Mah battery.

Note that even the A123 cells never match their claimed 2300 Mah rating. Just about every one I've tested comes out at about 2100 Mah at currents of 30 Amps or so.

Page generated in 0.05238 seconds with 10 queries