WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight - View Single Post - How Do I Mount My Outrunner Motor ?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

I stumbled on to this thread as I am just in the early thought processes of scratch building a twin this winter...more on that later. A great collection of mounts, Chellie, and inspired others to chime in..., Enter moi.
I work mostly around boats, repair, inspection etc so most of my engineering and thinking wraps around the materials we use and see on a regular basis. alot of hitech materials used in rc flying we see in ultra light boat construction. found this in a local marine wholesalers show room and had to try it. Its Coosa board, high density foam re-enforced with two layers of glass near each surface. Density is the same as balsa (average) at 15 lbs/cu.ft. Machines well, can be drilled and tapped for machine screws 4-40 etc and plan on screwing motor cowl into sides ahead of firewall. Structurally it replaces plywood in boat construction so its STRONG. This mount is for my 3 lb 109. and only had 1/2" on my shelf. Would have used 1/4" and drilled smaller lightning holes. In its bench configuration I stood on it and it didn't even wimper..tried to take a picture of that but ...you get the picture LOL.
CC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ME 109 MOTOR MOUNT 001.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	103217   Click image for larger version

Name:	me 109 motor mount 005.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	103218   Click image for larger version

Name:	me 109 motor mount 006.jpg
Views:	904