WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

WWI Ace 05-19-2008 07:04 PM

Cool plane!! Steve

matador527 05-19-2008 09:53 PM

Hi, folks! I'm SO glad I found this site, as I've very recently decided to take up modelling again, after not having built an airplane since 1952 (and never got them in the air!). But now, being retired (Air Force), and having WAY too much time on my hands, I'm getting excited about flying something that doesn't entail putting on an itchy fire-retardant bag. I'm starting out gently, learning on that ol' reliable, the venerable GWS SS, but already planning on building something a little more elegant to learn with, and couldn't find any airplane that looked like it would be more fun than a couple of WWI types, the era that I really like. There's the Fokker D-8, or course, but then I took a second, then a third, look at the Morane Saulnier "L", and fell for that one. I've found a source for plans for it, but haven't received them yet. I see where you stated YEARS ago that you have plans available for the Morane, along with the others you have. Could you tell me a little about them? I'd sure appreciate any info and help you can give me. I don't want to get in too deep too fast, for fear of getting over my head and losing interest....then having to explain to my wife why I invested so much of what could have been gas money into airplane, parts, engines, motors, etc, that is now just taking up room in my garage....

Biplane Murphy 05-19-2008 10:34 PM

Hi Matador.....welcome to wattflyer, and welcome to the WW1 obsessed forum.http://www.postsmile.com/img/emotions/88.gif

Cookie 05-19-2008 10:42 PM

matador 527, first, welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of interesting posts and some good advice from fellow modelers. Let me suggest that you find a local flying club or group that you can become associated with so that they can help you learn how to fly these things. Or, at least, find someone in your area who is experienced at flying these models and is willing to show you how it's done. On the other hand, beware of the person who is willing to show you how to fly them but seems to be flying your plane and not really teaching you anything. Those are usually the guys who show up without their own airplane to fly. There are "buddy system" transmitters that you can hook together with a cable type wire (like a computer cable) that in effect is like a pilot and co-pilot. The instructor holds a transmitter and the student holds a separate transmitter. When the instructor holds down a spring loaded button, the student is in control of the model. If the student gets in trouble, the instructor lets up on the button and has exclusive control of the model. This prevents many crashes. I would suggest a "buddy system". A lot of people try to teach themselves, crash the plane, then give up on the hobby out of frustration.
I would suggest that you get a lot of flight time in and at the same time be building the model of your choice so that it's ready when your competent to fly it. There's nothing worse than taking a long time and investing time and money into a favorite model only to have it crash because you weren't ready to fly it.

degreen60 05-19-2008 11:12 PM

Hi Matador. I started with the GWS SS F. I like the full fuselage and the WW1 looks. Being foam it is easy to glue back together after hitting fences, ground loops, landing in trees. Look on the threads and get all the hints you can find to make it a stronger and better flying model. I have now passed mine on to my neighbor who is learning to fly with it. I have a Peter Rake Morane Saulnier L that someone started and modified with ailerons that I finished but do not have flying yet. I am still learning to fly with ailerons. Remember if you get a DR1 my Camel will be looking for you.

WWI Ace 05-20-2008 12:52 AM

Welcome matador!! We'll help you all we can on this end!! The GWS SS is a good starter plane. Just take it slow and don't get frustrated when you crash. WE ALL CRASHED learning to fly these things!! When you get this plane down alot of these guys are flying the foam Eflite SE5a. It might make a good slowflying WWI plane and it looks pretty good too! Ask these guys for info on its flying characteristics. Steve

WWI Ace 05-20-2008 12:56 AM

Oh and by the way. You'll meet some of the GREATEST ladies and gentlemen you've ever met in your life in this thread!!! I feel very proud to call them all friends!! Steve

Hotch 05-20-2008 12:59 AM

Did someone say candy stripes?

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/atta...4&d=1211175635

WWI Ace 05-20-2008 01:21 AM

I like!!! Steve

jjordison 05-21-2008 06:12 PM

Thanks Steve, Martin and all of you! I have been greatly inspired by your comments and will take some more photos...

I do appreciate the advice on motors, but want to be sure I am investing wisely... I am considering an Axi 5345/18 at $220 plus, versus a Himax HC6332-230 for roughly half that. The Himax lists 2200watts, per your comment Steve. Don't know what the Axi motor will put out but Hobby Lobby suggests is good for "giant scale planes to 26 pounds." I figure my auw will be 22-23 pounds. Not to be picky, but money is an issue when adding the controller and LiPo's, so I would appreciate anyone insights. Thanks, Jordy

Btw, beautioful job on the DVII!!!

degreen60 05-21-2008 08:38 PM

Go take a look at this. Who is going to be the first to build this and put it in a WW1 model RC plane.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_-HhEfH1XQ[/media]

Cookie 05-21-2008 10:23 PM

I'll do it. I'll get started on it tomorrow. Just send your money and I'll get started on it :Q

scalercflyer 05-22-2008 01:43 AM

Welcome!

Let me echo the thoughts and good wishes of my fellow WWI enthusiasts and extend a hearty welcome to you matador :) ! Welcome back to the greatest hobby man ever concieved. ;) You will find many new friends and like minded individuals here. :D As for plans, I posted many threads ago, some of the plans I have available to any and all here at WattFlyers WWI post. You have but to ask and I will see if I have the plans for the WWI plane you are interested in scratch building. I do not sell any of them. I simply ask that you pay for copying and postage if you wish a copy of any set of plans. My collection is quite large and I probably have what you want. I am, however, partial to German fighters and I HATE RED airplanes :mad: (you'll learn it's an inside joke)! All the Best, Martin

Biplane Murphy 05-22-2008 02:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's my latest progress on my tripe painting project....Streaked camo paint on the fuselage...

Biplane Murphy 05-22-2008 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 410725)
Go take a look at this. Who is going to be the first to build this and put it in a WW1 model RC plane.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_-HhEfH1XQ[/media]

OK....I want one of those now.

WWI Ace 05-22-2008 07:00 PM

I don't think they make that engine small enough to fit into your Udet tripe!! Steve

scalercflyer 05-23-2008 01:08 AM

Sweet

Man Murph!!! That tripe looks sweet!;-) :D Great job! :):D;) I can't wait to see pics of her when she's done. :D Keep up the good work. Martin

Biplane Murphy 05-23-2008 01:26 AM

Thanks Marty...

I am just about to paint the streaked camo on the top of the lower wing...got it all taped up...

Biplane Murphy 05-23-2008 04:48 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Well...Painted the top of the lower wing for the tripe...

matador527 05-23-2008 05:09 AM

I appreciate the nice welcome, SCALERCFLYER. I'm still trying to find plans for a Morane Type "L" and/or Fokker D-8, which I can use for trainers. Saw a cute idea for simulating warped wings by sort of hiding ailerons I want to try out.
I realize that what I am considering clever ideas are probably very old hat to you long-time builder/flyers, but it's so new to me it's all very fascinating.
If there are plans for these airplanes is a drawer somewhere, I'd sure be appreciative of knowing about them, and possibly talking you out of copies, which I'd be glad to pay for, along with packaging and shipping, of course! Thanks again!!!
(An interesting thing I noticed some time ago...back in the day when my dad was building warplanes for WWII, folks commonly refered to airplanes as "Ships" or "Planes"...but when I got into Air Force flying, they were ALWAYS refered to as "Airplanes"...anybody else take note of that?)

Biplane Murphy 05-23-2008 05:58 AM

Hi Matador.....

These guys have lots of plans and kits for endless WW1 planes...
Just scroll down the left side of the page...

Arizona Model Aircrafters
http://www.arizonamodels.com/index.php
Here's a Fokker DVIII
http://www.arizonamodels.com/product...roducts_id/158

These guys (AerodromeRC)have a Morane type L in 36" and 72"
http://www.aerodromerc.com/

degreen60 05-23-2008 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by matador527 (Post 411443)
(An interesting thing I noticed some time ago...back in the day when my dad was building warplanes for WWII, folks commonly refered to airplanes as "Ships" or "Planes"...but when I got into Air Force flying, they were ALWAYS refered to as "Airplanes"...anybody else take note of that?)

I was in Naval Air and we called them "birds"

scalercflyer 05-24-2008 01:57 AM

Plans

Matador, I have plans for both airplanes you mentioned. :D:) The Morane "L" is a Peter Rake plan with a 30" wingspan. The FOKKER DVIII comes in 2 sizes.... a 40" WS or a 68" WS! :eek: The larger DVIII is quite impressive. The wheels alone are 6 1/2" in diameter! Scale is 2 1/2" to 1 foot scale. You have but to say which one (or both) you want. I suspect, judging from the plans, the Morane would be easiest to build. Your call. :D Martin

WWI Ace 05-24-2008 03:53 AM

I know a guy that started a big one. I sure wish he'd finish it so I could see it!! Hint hint. Steve

WWI Ace 05-24-2008 03:56 AM

Hey Matador!! You might also try www.manzanolaser.com for plans and short kits. They do ALOT of Peter Rake stuff!! They are a husband and wife company and VERY nice people!! Steve

WWI Ace 05-24-2008 08:03 PM

I flew my 23"ws green Fokker tripe early this morning and i didn't see a single Camel!! Guess they were all scared!! Fear Me!! For I am the triplane flying Texican!!! Ha ha!! Steve

degreen60 05-24-2008 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 412203)
I flew my 23"ws green Fokker tripe early this morning and i didn't see a single Camel!! Guess they were all scared!! Fear Me!! For I am the triplane flying Texican!!! Ha ha!! Steve

Green Fokker flying close to ground, hiding amoung the trees. No wonder you didn't see a Camel. HAHA

Bub Steve 05-24-2008 11:24 PM

Fokker bub's

1 Attachment(s)
Fokker bub's::I had Fokkers chase'in me all over the field Friday, Fokkers everywhere!!Steve and Murph would've been in heaven!! Most of the fokkers were fly'in spads and camels!! your bub,steve

WWI Ace 05-25-2008 12:09 AM

Good one Cooper!! Degreen, I couldn't fly low in the trees because there aren't any. Nothing but bomb craters at the front lines!! Were those Camels hiding in one of those? Steve

degreen60 05-25-2008 04:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I crashed the plane I am using to learn to fly with ailerons into trees on the far side of my hay field. When I went to look for the plane I scared a deer away. When I looked down I was standing between these two. Made crashing the plane worth while.

Bub Steve 05-25-2008 04:28 AM

AuWWWWWWW!! Fawns!!There so cute, They stand around watch'in me from the tree-line alot ,your bub, steve

Biplane Murphy 05-25-2008 04:29 AM

Nice photos Degreen....:)

WWI Ace 05-25-2008 02:41 PM

Here you could be standing between fawns, coyotes, jackrabbits, or rattlesnakes!! Fixing to load up the wife and two youngest boys to drive 2 1/2 hours to a warbird fun fly. I was going to fly but I had an accident with my bigger tripe so I guess I'll just watch. I was hoping some more guys from the club would go but I guess not. Catch ya'll later!!! Steve

WWI Ace 05-25-2008 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the one I was gonna fly.

FlyingMonkey 05-25-2008 02:47 PM

isn't such a pretty color....

WWI Ace 05-25-2008 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Martin LOVES that one!!! Ha ha!! How about this one? Steve

FlyingMonkey 05-25-2008 03:11 PM

but where's the red?

WWI Ace 05-25-2008 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't put red on this one or he might not be my friend anymore!! Ha ha!! Steve

FlyingMonkey 05-25-2008 05:31 PM

put some on the inside, I won't tell...

degreen60 05-26-2008 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey (Post 412611)
put some on the inside, I won't tell...

Paint red streaks going down from the cockpit.