WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

degreen60 05-04-2008 12:05 PM


Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey (Post 402561)
ugh...

Tonight I painted the engine part of the battery cover black, as well as the front screen.

I also have nearly covered the plane in a matte finish. I brushed it on in a cross weave pattern, so now it looks like cloth.

RED matte finish????? LOL

FlyingMonkey 05-04-2008 12:17 PM

clear, over the existing red...

WWI Ace 05-05-2008 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did someone say red Martin? Steve

degreen60 05-05-2008 04:19 AM


Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 402910)
Did someone say red Martin? Steve

Is that red Dr1 on the ground cause my Camel is in the air?

WWI Ace 05-05-2008 07:00 PM

No Degreen!! It's just waiting till there is enough Camels in the air to make it a challenging fight!! Steve

FlyingMonkey 05-06-2008 01:44 AM

yeah, so cut that camel in half, blind the pilot, and just toss it up there, that should make it fair.... :D

WWI Ace 05-06-2008 07:10 PM

Anybody see the short article in Model Aviation about the flying characteristics if the DR1? Steve

Cookie 05-06-2008 07:51 PM

It flies just like the real thing. You have to fly it and keep your eyes on it the whole time.

WWI Ace 05-07-2008 01:11 AM

Yeah Cookie I have two DR1s!! I love flying them!! I just thought it was funny that alot of people seem to have bought the little Electrifly DR1 only to find out what its manners are like!! Yes they look cool, but you have to have some skill to fly them. Steve

degreen60 05-07-2008 02:40 AM


Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 403848)
I just thought it was funny that alot of people seem to have bought the little Electrifly DR1 only to find out what its manners are like!! Yes they look cool, but you have to have some skill to fly them. Steve

I find my Kavan Albatros is the same way, don't take your eyes off it while flying or you might not find it again. Maybe it is just those planes with the black crosses on them.

Cookie 05-07-2008 02:48 AM

When I first flew it, it bucked and jerked and did all kinds of crazy stuff. Then it dawned on me. This thing flies like the real WW1 airplanes. It's not necessarily bad characteristics. It just has to be flown and controlled, unlike so many easy to fly model airplanes.

degreen60 05-07-2008 02:57 AM


Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 403892)
When I first flew it, it bucked and jerked and did all kinds of crazy stuff. Then it dawned on me. This thing flies like the real WW1 airplanes. It's not necessarily bad characteristics. It just has to be flown and controlled, unlike so many easy to fly model airplanes.

I saw where someone got rid of the Wattage Camel cause they said it crabbed in the wind. Well wonder what he thought the real ones did. LOL. Mine crabs in the wind and turns real quick looking like the tail is swinging around the prop. I think it looks nice.

Cookie 05-07-2008 05:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I actually have two Wattage Camels, one in the traditional colors and another that I changed to look like a German plane. They both fly great. Of course I took out the weak geared brushed motor and installed brushless motors in both of them. I also added dihedral in the wings to make them more stable. Because of the design, they both fly relatively slow even with the brushless motors, but they have a lot more power and are easier to take off.

degreen60 05-07-2008 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 403958)
I actually have two Wattage Camels, one in the traditional colors and another that I changed to look like a German plane. They both fly great. Of course I took out the weak geared brushed motor and installed brushless motors in both of them. I also added dihedral in the wings to make them more stable. Because of the design, they both fly relatively slow even with the brushless motors, but they have a lot more power and are easier to take off.

I did not ever install the gearbox and motor that came with my Wattage Camel but installed a brushless to start with. I did not install the wire for a landing gear either but made one with bamboo skewers. I also added dihedral in the wings, installed brace wires on both the wings and the tail. Sence it needs so much weight in the nose I use 6 1800 Nimh cells in an upside down U over the motor under the cowl. The Wattage cowl got real beat up and I made a new one using the bottom of a large Lysol wipe container. Mine is starting to show wear and tear from my landings. I am thinking of repainting in US Navy colors. The US Navy had some, I don't know if they used them in WW1 or after the war.

Cookie 05-07-2008 03:57 PM

I don't think the U S Navy used them during WW1. They may have used a few after the war, but I think they used the Jenny's more than anything else for training. The cowls are very thin. I reinforced mine with fiberglass and epoxy which also added some necessary nose weight. The landing gear wire is real weak, so I made landing gear out of heavier wire and installed it in an added piece of wood glued into the fuselage. Both planes are now up in my higher storage area in "mothballs" but I keep them in case I want another slow flyer.

7car7 05-07-2008 04:13 PM

Ground effect wing
 
What exactly does the ground effect wing do?

(other than look cool:tc:)

WWI Ace 05-07-2008 07:12 PM

If you are talking about the wing between the wheels it actually helped to provide more lift. Steve

7car7 05-07-2008 07:30 PM

So does it sort of soften the landing?
I wonder if it does anything for a model?

50+AirYears 05-07-2008 07:34 PM

Probably only if you get the incedence wrong. But then, the plane won't look right if you leave it off.

Biplane Murphy 05-07-2008 08:51 PM

I have the GP Fokker DVII......

after many hard landings, the incidence of the sub-wing was off a bit....I just couldn't seem to get it back to where it should be...So I removed it.....

I noticed a small decrease in lift after it was removed....it definately was doing it's job.:)

Biplane Murphy 05-07-2008 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also.....I have recovered a GP DR1 in white, and am getting ready to start painting her in this color scheme tonight.

Attachment 65159

However....I am wondering if anyone has a bottom view of this color scheme, or a similar color scheme?

details 05-07-2008 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 404220)
Also.....I have recovered a GP DR1 in white, and am getting ready to start painting her in this color scheme tonight.

Attachment 65159

However....I am wondering if anyone has a bottom view of this color scheme, or a similar color scheme?

Biplane Murphy,

Do you mean photos like these?

Dave:tc:

Biplane Murphy 05-07-2008 10:55 PM

Thanks Details.:)

In the photo I attached, it looks like the white and black bands/stripes wrap around the underside of the fuselage. The sky blue on the bottom of the fuse looks like it ends just past or at the rear of the cockpit.

So I am wondering if that is really the case.

The photo you provided shows the blue extending to the tail.

details 05-07-2008 11:30 PM


Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 404292)
Thanks Details.:)

In the photo I attached, it looks like the white and black bands/stripes wrap around the underside of the fuselage. The sky blue on the bottom of the fuse looks like it ends just past or at the rear of the cockpit.

So I am wondering if that is really the case.

The photo you provided shows the blue extending to the tail.

Biplane Murphy,

I don't have any other info re. this paint scheme. I just remembered that I had a photo of one of the many Dr.1s at Omaka, OZ. Maybe you can find out more if you find their website. Oh, just found it! Go to: http://classicfighters.co.nz/

Good Luck!

Dave

Biplane Murphy 05-07-2008 11:43 PM


Originally Posted by details (Post 404303)
Biplane Murphy,

I don't have any other info re. this paint scheme. I just remembered that I had a photo of one of the many Dr.1s at Omaka, OZ. Maybe you can find out more if you find their website. Oh, just found it! Go to: http://classicfighters.co.nz/

Good Luck!

Dave

Thanks Details.....I gotta get back to work...so I suppose I will be looking through that link later.:)

WWI Ace 05-08-2008 12:20 AM

Good to see you back on the tripe Murph!! Does it really matter whether you stripe the bottom or not? Everything I've read though shows the top wing stripes and horizontal stab stripes carrying over to the bottom. As far as I know the fuselage stripes did not. Some people say the bottoms of the wings and fuselage were always sky blue. They were when they were new planes but as the dope got exposed to the elements it began to yellow and turned the sky blue almost a turquoise green color. Help us out Martin!! Steve

Biplane Murphy 05-08-2008 02:57 AM

Hi Steve....I figured I had procrastinated long enough...LOL...

I also wish Marty would turn up....I bet he knows about the bottom of the fuselage.;-)

degreen60 05-08-2008 05:04 AM


Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 404394)
Hi Steve....I figured I had procrastinated long enough...LOL...

I also wish Marty would turn up....I bet he knows about the bottom of the fuselage.;-)

He would probably say paint it red. LOL

Biplane Murphy 05-08-2008 05:05 AM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 404470)
He would probably say paint it red. LOL

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA

Biplane Murphy 05-08-2008 05:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
OK....Look what I found.:)

After 3 hours of google searching......:o

Check out the last photo on the bottom of the fuse.

I'm going to go with that....Not sure about the red "LO" yet though.

G_eronimo 05-08-2008 07:02 AM


Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 404473)
OK....Look what I found.:)

After 3 hours of google searching......:o

Check out the last photo on the bottom of the fuse.

I'm going to go with that....Not sure about the red "LO" yet though.

Looks like a plane flown by Ernst Udet.

LO was a nickname or so for his girlfriend/fiancee or whatever.

[media]http://www.wargamer.com/Hosted/CloseCombatFuture/rosssmodels/udet.jpg[/media]

Just google pictures for Udet.

Uli

Biplane Murphy 05-08-2008 08:02 AM


Originally Posted by G_eronimo (Post 404496)
Looks like a plane flown by Ernst Udet.

LO was a nickname or so for his girlfriend/fiancee or whatever.

[media]http://www.wargamer.com/Hosted/CloseCombatFuture/rosssmodels/udet.jpg[/media]
Just google pictures for Udet.

Uli

Yep.....I think I read "LO" was her initials?

And Hans Kirchstein flew it too.

degreen60 05-08-2008 08:18 PM


Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 404473)
Not sure about the red "LO" yet though.


Its a Foker DR1, it needs red on it. HAHA

Biplane Murphy 05-08-2008 08:44 PM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 404644)
Its a Foker DR1, it needs red on it. HAHA

I figured the "red" would be from the blood of my enemies......:Q:D:Q

Bub Steve 05-08-2008 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Biplane Murphy::Or a "bulls-eye" for Micky < bub,steve

jjordison 05-08-2008 09:19 PM

Forgive me if there is advice out there in a thread already, but I need help selecting a suitable motor for a 1/4 scale, 24 pound, 89 inch ws Proctor Albatros DVa...thanks, Jordy

carlosponti 05-08-2008 09:27 PM


Originally Posted by 7car7 (Post 404170)
So does it sort of soften the landing?
I wonder if it does anything for a model?

it did add lift in the real deal and on the model however did nothing for the landings. the landings were softened in the real thing by a axel running through a hollow section in the lower winglet that was tied off with bungie cords to act as a suspension. some large scale models have this feature as well.

Bub Steve 05-08-2008 09:57 PM


Originally Posted by jjordison (Post 404658)
Forgive me if there is advice out there in a thread already, but I need help selecting a suitable motor for a 1/4 scale, 24 pound, 89 inch ws Proctor Albatros DVa...thanks, Jordy

jjordison::Let me poke around an get back to you, There are set-ups for such planes but I know there out there, Let's hope some bub's around here will chime in, your bub steve PS Welcome to wattflyer the coolist site on the web!!

http://scalemodel.net/pictures/AlbatrosDVa_front1.jpg

Biplane Murphy 05-09-2008 12:11 AM


Originally Posted by stevecooper (Post 404655)
Biplane Murphy::Or a "bulls-eye" for Micky < bub,steve

SHHHHhhhhhhhhh.....Don't tell anyone, but my scale pilot will be 1/2 of a Darth Vader Action Figure that my girlfriend bought me for Easter....:D:Q:D

WWI Ace 05-09-2008 12:17 AM

Jordy the most common rule is 75-100 watts per pound of plane for sports performance. Steve


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09051 seconds with 7 queries