WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

BEAR-AvHistory 10-31-2010 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have an H-9 Camel almost done with EP.

IndyJones 11-01-2010 01:46 AM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 761516)
All you WWI airplane junkies LISTEN UP. I bought an old paper back book in a flea market. Flyin Aces of World War I printed 1971. I would like to send this book to someone else that would like to read it then pass it on at no cost. First person to post here saying they would like to read the book will get it. After you finish reading the book post here to pass it on to next reader.

Hey Degreen, I'd like to take a look at it. I'll PM you my address. Thanks!

scalercflyer 11-01-2010 02:24 AM

Pass the book
 

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 761516)
All you WWI airplane junkies LISTEN UP. I bought an old paper back book in a flea market. Flyin Aces of World War I printed 1971. I would like to send this book to someone else that would like to read it then pass it on at no cost. First person to post here saying they would like to read the book will get it. After you finish reading the book post here to pass it on to next reader.

D that's a great idea.:cool: I have that book already (among with my other 100+ reference books):eek:. It's a nice thought and I'm sure the Guys will appreciate it. What a great bunch of Fellow WWI nuts!:D;) Marty

79CJ 11-01-2010 12:16 PM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 761516)
All you WWI airplane junkies LISTEN UP. I bought an old paper back book in a flea market. Flyin Aces of World War I printed 1971. I would like to send this book to someone else that would like to read it then pass it on at no cost. First person to post here saying they would like to read the book will get it. After you finish reading the book post here to pass it on to next reader.

I did a book report on that book in about 3rd-4th grade. My dad made copies of SE5's and Fokkers from a coloring book I had, and shrunk them down to differnet sizes on a copy machine. Then I colored them, cut them out, and put them all over a posterboard so they looked like they were in a dog-fight. Then I made a little (probably 1/72 scale) SE5 model that hung over the front of the display from a coat hanger and string. I was pretty proud of that display, no one else had a model on theirs!

degreen60 11-01-2010 06:04 PM


Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 761463)
Go figure...broke my record flying my little micro. I got 12 mins on the battery today, a little breeze and tried to keep her at 3/4 throttle. 130mah lipo usually gives me about 8 maybe 9 mins. I didnt even crash today...!! Hope everyone else had great patrols. BTW: This thing is way to much fun to fly. Gonna try to fly through the front door and out the back one of these days:eek:

Is that one of the pilots I sent you? If not you need to send the pilot to me to be hexed, oops, blessed. I need one of these planes to take on trips to fly in parking lots.

TM4197 11-01-2010 08:00 PM

DeGreen: The pilot came with the plane (voodoo clean)!!!! I have another plane I am going to put your pilots in. I'll let ya know if they crash!! BTW:

Do you want a fuse to a Bristol scout? I need to keep the wings. I have a modified cowling and gear for it. Tailfeathers are good.

The D.III is perfect for keeping in your car, the carrying case holds everything snug. Sure do not need much room to fly her.:D

degreen60 11-01-2010 09:33 PM


Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 761719)
DeGreen:
Do you want a fuse to a Bristol scout? I need to keep the wings. I have a modified cowling and gear for it. Tailfeathers are good.

Sure I will take the Bristol Scout. Can you draw me a pattern around the wings? What are you going to use the wings on? Now I need to look for a paint scheme for it. I heard my Mom tell someone a long time ago that I made the nicest looking planes and painted them terrible colors. I was making WWII planes at the time so now I look for bright paint schemes for my planes.

TM4197 11-02-2010 03:20 AM

bristol
 
I actually have a wing (1) I can send you. They are identical wings, so you will only need to make one. The wings I have on there now have been modified, I want to use them on a foam scratch Iam going to build this winter. As soon as get back to Delaware, I'll pack her up![popcorn]

Ryan Flyer 11-02-2010 05:35 PM

Crashed Nieuport XI
 
So yesterday I crashed my Great Planes Nieuport 11 (sorry De I am rebuilding it myself) and for my rebuild I need to take the ailerons off. How can I get those CA hinges out? The one good thing about having to recove it is I can change the color!
Pat

degreen60 11-02-2010 05:54 PM


Originally Posted by Ryan Flyer (Post 762048)
So yesterday I crashed my Great Planes Nieuport 11 (sorry De I am rebuilding it myself) and for my rebuild I need to take the ailerons off. How can I get those CA hinges out? The one good thing about having to recove it is I can change the color!
Pat

First thing I do is cut the hinges in two so I can remove the aileron. Then I use a modeling knife and slide it all the way around the hinge to try to cut it loose. Then pull hard. You may have to make a larger hole around the hinge then refill the hole with a balsa block. I bought one plane in a yard sale that the hinges had been installed with so much glue they were solid. They were hinges with pin pivots. I had to use my demeral with a sanding disk to cut everything apart.

You going to make it a Flying Fish?

Ryan Flyer 11-02-2010 11:25 PM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 762057)
First thing I do is cut the hinges in two so I can remove the aileron. Then I use a modeling knife and slide it all the way around the hinge to try to cut it loose. Then pull hard. You may have to make a larger hole around the hinge then refill the hole with a balsa block. I bought one plane in a yard sale that the hinges had been installed with so much glue they were solid. They were hinges with pin pivots. I had to use my demeral with a sanding disk to cut everything apart.

You going to make it a Flying Fish?

Thanks for the input Degreen, I will do that. About the flying fish, it only broke the wings so I am only changing their color to white/cream. I did not like the silver it looks to modern. I might change the elevator to white also.

Ryan Flyer 11-03-2010 02:55 PM

another thing, Has anybody done a mod on the landing gear of any of the great planes WW1 birds? I would like to add some shock absorbing. Any Ideas?
Patrick

degreen60 11-03-2010 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ryan Flyer (Post 762271)
another thing, Has anybody done a mod on the landing gear of any of the great planes WW1 birds? I would like to add some shock absorbing. Any Ideas?
Patrick

Here is the shock absorbing landing gear on my GP SE5A. First time I made it I used V plywood pieces but discovered needed axle stops or the gear legs would hit and break the landing gear. The axle is a CF arrow shaft.

IndyJones 11-04-2010 04:06 AM

Thanks Degreen, got the book today... nice info/pics and a quick read. Who wants to be next? PM me your mailing address please!

7car7 11-04-2010 07:47 PM

13 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ryan Flyer (Post 762271)
another thing, Has anybody done a mod on the landing gear of any of the great planes WW1 birds? I would like to add some shock absorbing. Any Ideas?
Patrick

I've done 2 styles. One is somewhat simple, using the original legs. I added balsa to the originals. Machined out a slot in the lower leg, for an axle to slide up and down in. The added balsa makes it look real, but really is there to hold pegs made of carbon - pegs hold the Rubber bands.

The second set is a fully custom landing gear, made of spruce. I did not use the rubber band and a floating axle on this one, I made a FLEXIBLE axle out of thick wire. It is held in position by about the inner 3rd of the span of the axle, and the outer left and right "3rd" are allowed to flex up when a load is put to the wheels.

First method is more authentic I suppose, but the second one is a lot lighter, and overall, looks much better. And, doesn't have the rotten rubber bands to change out once a year or so.

Any questions, just ask.

7car7 11-04-2010 07:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is another one for ideas, but it's not a Great Planes. Completely scratch built landing gear.

Ryan Flyer 11-06-2010 03:25 PM

Thanks so much for those pictures 7car7! They give me a lot of ideas. I think I will do something like your first one, using the old landing gear.
Patrick

7car7 11-07-2010 03:00 AM


Originally Posted by Ryan Flyer (Post 763001)
Thanks so much for those pictures 7car7! They give me a lot of ideas. I think I will do something like your first one, using the old landing gear.
Patrick

Wanted to be sure you saw degreen's post, right above mine. Don has an equally cool and effective design.

ps. The spruce design is MUCH lighter if you care, and are adding up grams.
Guessing Don's is hardly more than stock.

degreen60 11-07-2010 03:40 AM


Originally Posted by 7car7 (Post 763152)
Wanted to be sure you saw degreen's post, right above mine. Don has an equally cool and effective design.

ps. The spruce design is MUCH lighter if you care, and are adding up grams.
Guessing Don's is hardly more than stock.

One of my back legs broke so I cut both of the back legs off even then glued the piece of plywood to the metal legs. Fast and easy.

Ryan Flyer 11-08-2010 05:35 PM

Sorry De I forgot to thank you to! I got to look at the full scale landing gear yesterday and I think I am going to do something like degreens or 7car7s first one. The landing gear legs were not to damaged in the crash so I am planing to use them.

http://<a href="http://www.oldrhineb...&Itemid=87</a>

TM4197 11-16-2010 02:57 AM

Reverse
 
Ok, I know there is a first gear or second?? Dag-on thing stuck in reverse!:eek:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgNncb9vW4c[/media]

dbcisco 11-16-2010 03:03 AM

I love it! Never seen that before!
How did you get it to do that?
TM, Isn't that little Albatros a hoot? I love mine.
Thanks for lightening my mood!

TM4197 11-16-2010 03:10 AM

Way to funny....I landed the little guy on the street and of course, it did its typical WW1 classic Nose to earth, there was so much wind blowing it started going backwards, my brother was fast to get the cellphone cam on it before a car was coming. It actually blew backwards about 30 yards just as straight as could be. This thing is so much fun to fly. And very stable. I was flying it in 8 kts. I really hope they make some more WW1 planes.

degreen60 11-16-2010 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 765087)
Way to funny....I landed the little guy on the street and of course, it did its typical WW1 classic Nose to earth, there was so much wind blowing it started going backwards, my brother was fast to get the cellphone cam on it before a car was coming. It actually blew backwards about 30 yards just as straight as could be. This thing is so much fun to fly. And very stable. I was flying it in 8 kts. I really hope they make some more WW1 planes.

Hurry up and crash that, I need one. LOL

degreen60 11-16-2010 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did not like the open empty bottom on my Fokker DVIII so I made some paper cyclinders and attached them to the motor bell.

TM4197 11-17-2010 07:25 PM

Nice job!!!!!!!!! they look great!! Should have that Bristol coming your way soon! Don't want to overload your aircraft factory![popcorn]

7car7 11-25-2010 06:34 PM

Nice job d! Love the engine.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hope its a great one.

scalercflyer 11-25-2010 06:34 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Happy Thanksgiving to all of my dear Friends here at the WWI Thread and elsewhere. My the Good LORD continue to bless you and your families. Enjoy your holiday! I intend to over eat several times today! Marty

TM4197 11-25-2010 06:50 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all you goggle/helmet leather jacket wearing aviators.
Remember, you gotta be able to get back in the cockpit. Eat well!

degreen60 11-25-2010 07:29 PM

Happy turkey day, but I don't think the turkey is very happy.

I need help, I need to find a colorful paint scheme for a Bristol Scout. All I can find are just a cream plane with British flag or roundles on it.

TM4197 11-25-2010 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would use Major Hawkers scheme. Bristols as far as I have read were plain cream silk, no big splash colors were ever used. If you match the color on the fuse I am sending to your wings, and copy the tail fin colors, you will have a good match for Maj. Hawkers scout. Including his side mounted machine gun, his design...and I sent that as well.:D

scalercflyer 11-26-2010 01:14 AM

Color scheme
 
I'm like'ing it TM. Maybe D will bite! Marty

dbcisco 11-26-2010 01:43 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

degreen60 11-26-2010 02:38 AM


Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 767393)
I'm like'ing it TM. Maybe D will bite! Marty

Is there a big hook hanging under the picture?

That plane has about as much color as any Bristol I have found. It seem the differance is where the numbers are located, fuselage roundle or british flag, rudder painted or not. I found one that has differant roundles on the wings, early ones I think. Large white circle with narrow red band around it. But the rudder is plain. I found one that was in the US I like, it has kind of fancy block lettering on the rudder. I do want to make it differant than what it comes as ARF. Greese had some but then the plane would only be 2 colors. Cream with blue markings.

7car7 11-26-2010 08:07 AM

Any chance you could do an American trainer scheme with orange-yellow wings? Probably not authentic, but would be visible.

degreen60 11-26-2010 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the only US plane I found. I do like the tail markings but as you can see the plane is all one color. I think I like the scheme TM showed with the gun on the side.

TM4197 12-01-2010 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW...Degreen

The Bristol was put on a slow moving ship to your hanger! Now if it will get through TSA "pat down" you'll have your Scout!:D

HAd to send my Flyzone Albatros back to the factory, the control rod to the elev came off the servo in flight. Talk about a stick and rudder landing. No elev, just throttle and rudder...was like flying the old Magneto switch all the way in! I wasnt about to take that one apart, shouldnt have never happened in the first place...but TOWER HOBBY is always fantastic helping out!

here she is in Observation Mode with camera.

degreen60 12-01-2010 03:19 AM


Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 768497)
BTW...Degreen

The Bristol was put on a slow moving ship to your hanger! Now if it will get through TSA "pat down" you'll have your Scout!:D
here she is in Observation Mode with camera.

If you shipped the gun with it, it will probably be pulled from the line and blown up. Now if the pilot is with it he maybe grinning from ear to ear after the "pat down".

degreen60 12-02-2010 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
TM4197 has sent me another treasure. I think UPS helped by adding damage during shipping. The box looked like it had been at the bottom of a pile of very heavy boxes. The fuselage is twisted at the cockpit which I suppect happened during shipment. Should not be too much trouble to have it flying again. I like the way the gun is angled so the bullits miss the prop when fired. I wonder if anyone ever hit anything with guns mounted this way except by luck.

TM4197 12-06-2010 04:47 AM

Good grief..I could have done that myself, and put it all in a smaller box. GEEES...Well, no more UPS!!!! Thats terrible.:mad:

The pilot that designed the sidemout for the machine gun actually scored some kills with that method. I think the oposeing pilot thought he was safe with the trailing Bristol to his right rear. NOT!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine looking over your right shoulder and see a machine gun firing right at ya!!:<:

Sorry it got beat up so bad. I know you'll do fine with it.

AND WOW>>>>I finally got back on WATTFLYER....thought I maybe forgot to pay my dues![popcorn]


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11320 seconds with 7 queries