WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

WWI Ace 04-23-2006 05:02 AM

Thanks Pete for telling me. Hey Martin, you hear that? We can get the Sopwith tripe shortkit soon!!! So Martin, ya gonna build that big DVIII that you started? Wouldn't that look cool taking off from the local Wal-Mart parking lot!!!! Got part of my fuse built tonight along with the cowl. Going well so far. Must be the great help I get from you guys!!! Thanks. Steve.

Bill G 04-23-2006 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mr. Rake. I've been admiring many of your plans in FS. My LHS sells the one month old issues for $1 US. Every now in then, my conscience causes me to pay full price, since it a better value than the rest of them, to begin with. They (the free plan planes) do keep getting better. The Brisfit may just have to be built. Nice looking plane. I can see a plane a million times, and it never catces on, until I see in the right color (no U in the US)scheme. While not being the biggest fan of WWI planes, they are slowly catching on. Will have to eventually, after I build all the rest of them. Always loved the Eindecker, however.
Your definitely a record holder, Peter. The only man who has free plans published in a major mag, that aren't of some flat foam, or hovering piece of garbage. Nice stuff.
Different from my other planes, the WWI planes have to be completed to be appreciated. At least that's how it works for me. This 20" sub-micro Guillows DR1 may have just got the ball rolling. If it ever flies, it will be the first Guillows DR1 conversion, without the motor mounted 2 inches of the firewall on a stick, with no cowling. Everything including the batt is in the first 1" bay behind the firewall.

scalercflyer 04-23-2006 02:30 PM

Nice site

Gentlemen, check out this site when you get a few minutes. Martin
http://www.hrunway.com

Heiner 04-25-2006 08:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

here some photos of my ALBATROS D.V. nearly finished. Maiden made 3 weeks ago, great flyer!

Wingspan: 1,8 m = 71 inch

Heiner

Ron 04-26-2006 04:43 PM

Heiner........that is a good looking model. what power do you have in it? how much does it weigh? and did you draw the plans up yourself or are they some one else's ? I sometimes think that I might want to build that plane, because it looks so sleek with all the curved panels in the fuselage, but then I think to myself, the exaxct same things that make it look great is likely what would make it difficult to build...it almost looks like you have mica film on the fuselage. Personally I think these WW1 vintage models have more character than the newer stuff. Been off the 'puter for the last few days....out flying.

Glo4U 04-26-2006 06:15 PM

WWI Guillows plans

I have the plans for 2 WWI guillows planes the SE5a and the folker Tri plane. The SE5a is blown up to a 36" W/S and the Folker Tri Plane is a 38" W/S. I am replacing the stringers with 1/8 bass wood to give more strength. The ribs are going to be 1/16 and the formers 3/32 with a 3/32 strip to reenforce where the former halves join. The new electric out runners are perfect for these models.

Gloria

Ron 04-27-2006 12:40 AM

G4U.......just gotta be careful that when you "strengthen" things up, you don't add a whole bunch of weight to it...these guys don't like to be heavy

Rhondas 04-27-2006 01:50 AM

I noticed that most of those planes are of the stick type, anyone interested in a kit by Herr Eng of a J3 Cub complete $30. let me know [email protected]

fli48rc 04-27-2006 09:57 PM

Aviatik 30.27

Here's an AerodromeRC kit I just finished... Aviatik 30.27 Fun build. AUW 27.1oz, Just over 10oz\sq ft. MPJet Brushless, APC 10X7, Hitec 6 Rx, 4 - HS-55's, TP1200maH

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...7_sideview.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...tik_3027_2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...tik_3027_5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...tik_3027_4.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...tik_3027_1.jpg

Ron 04-27-2006 10:07 PM

Pete:
yes any information that you could pass along on the D111 or D 1V would be appreciated....I'm still in the preliminary selection stage of this project, but likely it will be one of these two next winter. Unique is good...if I can put it on the runway, and know that basically I likely won't see one of it's " brothers" for at least the rest of the season, then I'm happy.I did the smaller EV a few years back, and haven't seen another around this area yet, nor have I come across another D V1.... so I figured to do the EV again, but larger. The D111 or 1V will be just slightly larger than your normal practise, but will use basically the same technique as yours, because it makes for a fairly easy build...then once I get it flying nicely, I'll do the same as the others, and do a larger one. If it goes as planned, the smaller one will be in the air about Dec....and the larger one in the late spring.
I got the glitching problems with the EV sorted out this past evening, and should have test hops by the weekend.................FINALLY !

Heiner 04-28-2006 08:07 AM

@ Ron,

the kit I got from Hobby-Land in Germany. Fuselage made from honeycomp composit, almost in finished condition like delivered.
Wings made from CNC-cut Balsa parts.
Motor LEHNER 1930 with gearbox 6/1, 4s1p KOKAM 3200, prop 22 x 10, drawing 30A

Heiner

WWI Ace 04-28-2006 08:07 PM

Hey guys!! Charlie at www.manzanolaser.com says the Peter Rake 45"ws Sopwith triplane short kit should be available from them at the end of June. He told me that it should cost $80-90 for a short kit or $120 for the full kit. Steve.

PETERRAKE 04-29-2006 08:55 AM

Ron,
Okay mate, I'll get what I have scanned and e-mail to you. Just for a change, I actually know where the info is.

Steve,
I only have to finish isolating parts, set them up for cutting and add text to the drawings, so it may be available before then. I guess it rather depends on how busy Charlie is.

Pete

watt_the?! 04-29-2006 10:40 AM

i cant wait for the tripe Pete!!!

Tim

Bill G 04-29-2006 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Glo4U (Post 66129)
I have the plans for 2 WWI guillows planes the SE5a and the folker Tri plane. The SE5a is blown up to a 36" W/S and the Folker Tri Plane is a 38" W/S. I am replacing the stringers with 1/8 bass wood to give more strength. The ribs are going to be 1/16 and the formers 3/32 with a 3/32 strip to reenforce where the former halves join. The new electric out runners are perfect for these models.

Gloria

I'd like to build the SE5a from the kit. Seen an article on a LPS conversion. I always like the proportions of the SE5a. I replace some of the stringers with stronger ones, such as the fuse "corners" on an SE5a. The CF spars and rods are the way to go, for weight. For example, I cut a small groove in the rear of the shaped wing LEs, and glue in a small dia, very light, CF rod. The wing can still flex, but is hard to break. Added to critical areas, it can be done very lightly.
The Fokker should be really nice at 38" span.

WWI Ace 04-30-2006 02:43 AM

Thanks for the update Pete!!! I Know that at least two of us have this plane on the backburner. Steve.

scalercflyer 04-30-2006 04:09 AM

Another one!

Yeah right Steve!! :D You need another one! Boy are you a sucker for anything with three wings! :eek: Good thing there were no red Sopwith triplanes!!! :eek: Ha Ha !!! Martin

scalercflyer 05-21-2006 06:31 AM

Reports

Allright Boys, what's going on? :confused: I haven't heard from any of you for a while. :mad: What are we flying, any new flight reports, builds?? :D Lay it on me! Steve, wake up!!! :D Tim, Ron, watts up? Martin

watt_the?! 05-21-2006 10:21 AM

ive updated my PR castaibert thread a couple of weeks ago and no reply from anyone?

is that a tumbleweed i see?

Ron 05-21-2006 05:32 PM

Not a lot happening on this end....still haven't maidened the D V111, but today is the day I think.The weather and the season have kept me pretty busy for the last while....just finished the second cut of hay on Fri....
Have been running back and forth getting my father's house ready to sell....lotsa stuff to dispose of..I guess you could say I'm getting his house in order :-) Been lots of family business to take care of the last while, so modeling has sorta taken a back seat.....Next weekend is the Chilliwack Fly in, so I gotta get the D V111 flying. Martin........what's happening with you / got your model finished up yet.
Watt...haven't said anything about your build, not because I am not interested, but because I haven't been able to spare the time to read the posts.what with keeping up on the farm, selling real estate, looking after two sets of elderly parents, and doing my duties as the zone rep for M.A.A.C. ( like AMA only Canada)....Man I gotta get another fire...I got too many irons in this one.

Walt Thyng 05-22-2006 01:04 AM

Been making some model money rebuilding three birds for a club member who has more money than time. Spent a bunch of time trying to get a Kyosho Flip true only to find out that it never was! Horizontal stab is out by a 1/2 inch. Battery pack in the Dr.1 self-destructed over the winter so I have to rebuild it. Sopwith Triplane is ready for final fitting and sanding. I can't make the different aileron throws all equal, but both ailerons on the same wing travel the same amount. Good enough I guess. Martin, wasn'tr I expecting some more plans from you??? Walt

scalercflyer 05-22-2006 03:26 AM

Plans

Yes Walt, it's true I owe you some plans. Haven't had much time lately to do much other than work. I even went so far as to buy an ARF since I need another bird for this flying season. I promise I will send the plans soon. BTW Guys here is the plane I won off of E-bay. What do you Guys think? Martin

http://216.180.233.134/%7Enilbee/katana30w1.jpg

Wingspan: 30 in
Wing Area: 307 sq in
Length: 29.25 in
Weight: 12-14 oz
Motor: 350 class brushless, such as Himax 2015-4100 (not included)
Battery: 3 cell 720mah-1200mah LiPo (not included)
Radio: 4 Channel and light weight receiver and servos (not included)

Walt Thyng 05-22-2006 02:34 PM

Well, it's some kind of an eindecker --- Polish maybe? Probably pre-1913 due to it's strange shape. (-: Walt

WWI Ace 05-23-2006 03:23 AM

Oh the agony!!! I'm so ashamed!! One of my best friends in the whole world has gone to "The Dark Side"..... Do do do do, do do do you are now entering, The 3D Zone!!! And that's not scale, unless your pilot is a potato chip!!! Now on to the serious stuff. Cool looking plane Marty!!! Looks like it should fly really well. If you want to use the stick mount with an outrunner www.horizonhobby.com has a great one. The part number is EFLM1915. Should work well. Also got a couple of good laser cut wood ones from www.stevensaero.com at least I think that's the correct address for Stevensaeromodel. Steve.

WWI Ace 05-23-2006 03:24 AM

Oh the agony!!! I'm so ashamed!! One of my best friends in the whole world has gone to "The Dark Side"..... Do do do do, do do do you are now entering, The 3D Zone!!! And that's not scale, unless your pilot is a potato chip!!! Now on to the serious stuff. Cool looking plane Marty!!! Looks like it should fly really well. If you want to use the stick mount with an outrunner www.horizonhobby.com has a great one. The part number is EFLM1915. Should work well. Also got a couple of good laser cut wood ones from www.stevensaero.com at least I think that's the correct address for Stevensaeromodel. Steve.

WWI Ace 05-23-2006 03:25 AM

See Marty, you even have me stuttering on the computer!!! Steve.

Heiner 05-23-2006 07:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here some photos of my Albatros .......

Heiner

watt_the?! 05-23-2006 08:54 AM

just gorgeous Heiner!!

WWI Ace 05-23-2006 06:56 PM

That's a nice plane!!!! Tell us about it. Steve.

scalercflyer 05-24-2006 05:26 AM

DVa

Stunning, absolutely stunning!:cool: Great job Heiner! Martin

scalercflyer 05-24-2006 05:35 AM

Accel Katana

At least the Katana is not another red triplane Steve!!! :D Walt, you're killing me! But come to think of it, if I added some Iron crosses, a machine gun and some flying wires, it might pass for an Eindecker....... Martin

watt_the?! 05-24-2006 08:26 AM

im thinking of deleting the katana post...(782)

guys?

Walt Thyng 05-24-2006 01:07 PM

Hey Moderator: lighten up! Even WWI guys like to have a laugh now and then. Walt

dicknadine 05-24-2006 02:52 PM

what material are you useing for the covering? all of my sources of Coverite have dried up. have tried thin fabric(dress material) from Walmart and it does not go on good with dope. need help. dick

watt_the?! 05-24-2006 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Walt Thyng (Post 73518)
Hey Moderator: lighten up! Even WWI guys like to have a laugh now and then. Walt

i was joking...:D

ps guys dont think of mods here as mods...we are flyboys too and want to be involved...the only added bit we have to do is watch out for nasties from time to time...

this is what again makes WF unique i think.

WWI Ace 05-25-2006 01:23 AM

We appreciate you guys keeping the "potty mouths" at bay!!!!! Steve.

Walt Thyng 05-25-2006 01:55 AM

Dick, I've used walmart amd Hobby Lobby Craft Stores polyester dress lining on a couple of planes. Had very good luck (in fact my avatar is covered with it. Did you seal it with nitrate dope first? It bags, but you re-shrink it with a heat gun before the next coat. By coat three it's stable, then on goes the aero gloss or sig. I used Fabric Balsarite for initial adhesion. Walt

kensp 06-06-2006 06:25 PM

Bristol Scout with GWS 2208-18T and 2 Cells

1 Attachment(s)
I have now fitted one of the New GWS 2208-18T outrunners to my 28 inch span Depron Bristol Scout. My first test flight was with a GWS 9 x 5 HD propeller and a 2 cell battery but this propeller gave too much thrust and speed. I changed to an 8 x 4 DD for the second flight but this propeller was a little slow on speed in the later part of the battery charge. Like in the Goldilocks story the 8 x 4.3 RS proved to be just right.

I have bench tested the 2208-18, using two cells, on propellers ranging from a 9 x 4.7 to an 11 x 7. The thrusts ranged from 11-13 oz and the pitch speeds from 21-30 MPH. Static current draws ranged from 5.5 - 7.5 amps so large batteries are not needed. I plan to remove the motor and bench test 8 inch propelles and expect to get about 9-10 oz of thrust at 5 amps.

These current draw figures figures when combined with the latest 20 C battery packs make for light aeroplanes. My Bristol Scout now weighs 220 grams with a 300 mAh 20 C battery pack and draws about 3 amps when on reduced throttle. Light aeroplanes mean that the slow speed typical of the originals is possible.

A bonus is a lightweight brushless motor and ESC suitable for small WWI aeroplanes at US$35-40, depending on your suplier.

Ken

jhouvener 06-08-2006 10:02 PM

To Jan/Marty;
I have to answer you through this watt flyer post. you did not give me your E- mail address.

Yes, I live in Midland, Mich.-I am interested in WW1 plans- do they have the patterns for parts with them on the plans? I am interested in only mid sizes 43" -60" only. [email protected]

scalercflyer 06-09-2006 01:55 AM

Out of the Sun

Oh no! Oh no! :eek: There's a German fighter on my tail! :eek: Why it looks just like a "Flying Razor"! :cool: And LOOK! There's an ugly Texican flying it! :D God help us all! Gee, I wonder where WWI Ace could be .....????? Go ahead Steve, tell the Boys. Martin