WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scale E-Powered Aircraft (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   e-flite taylorcraft (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27997)

xtreme2424 12-16-2007 06:30 PM

e-flite taylorcraft

I got the taylor craft done a nd have flown it 4 times. Just wanted to let you guys know that this is one sweet little bird and very easy mellow flyer. I put the 480 in mine and it has good power vertical and pretty good at basic stunts...http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...5/IMG_3769.jpg

aviatordave 12-16-2007 06:48 PM

looks good!

Thank God I dont live in a pink state.

BuzzardBait 12-16-2007 07:20 PM

THis is SUCH a beautiful plane that i might actually have to put a wood propeller on it, if only for show when its hanging!!

Bub Steve 12-16-2007 07:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
BuzzardBait::Wood props work fine(just not great) they'll fly it(just not as zippy) she's scale after all and when flown scale she's not "zippie" anyway, bub, steve PS how bout a wood prop on a Slow-Stick?

bgfireman 12-22-2007 02:06 AM

Wood Prop

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BuzzardBait (Post 321419)
THis is SUCH a beautiful plane that i might actually have to put a wood propeller on it, if only for show when its hanging!!

Mine has a 10 X 7 Power Point Prop on it. It flies great.

herk_1 12-29-2007 12:30 AM

"Student Pilot Barbie"...comes complete with flyable model airplane!

simibill 12-29-2007 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by aviatordave (Post 321395)
looks good!

Thank God I dont live in a pink state.

What ya got against pink?

E-Challenged 12-29-2007 05:15 AM

I've been admiring them for a while and got to fly my buddy Jose's with 480. It axial rolls like crazy, looks like a clip wing version. Does everything well and is light for an ARF.

xtreme2424 12-29-2007 03:53 PM

I had it out yesterday and threw a 11x5.5 prop on it wow can this bird fly slow. You can make it crawl if you want. this is for sure 1 of my favorite planes right now in my hanger!

Piperfan 01-01-2008 07:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 71097

Attachment 71098

Attachment 71099Just about finished with mine. Put a 480 on the nose spinning a Zoar 10X5 electric wood prop with a 40amp E-Flite esc, Hitec HS65HB for servos all around (left overs from a heli) with a JR 6 ch micro receiver. Undecided on a pilot yet. I had the 1/4 scale clipped wing Taylorcraft from H9 and it was a stunning aircraft in flight or on the ground. Always received lots of compliments. Hopefully this will fly equally as well. photos soon. Added two pilots. Both from Hobby Lobby. I think there Tony and Pete. Both are different sizes so it looks like father and son out for an afternoon flight. Gussied up the cocpit with control yokes and a nice Jtec instrument panel.

KIMBERWHIP 01-18-2008 10:25 AM

anyone use the 450 motor? how does it do?

Radar O'Riely 01-27-2008 07:08 AM

Just got my Taylorcraft 450. Just a had a quick look in the box. Just a heads up. Have a good look on the floor boards ( painted grey ) where the seats mount. I found a few cracks. Other than that it is a great looking kit. The construction sure looks light. Anyone have any hard landings with it?

Going to put a pilot on board and a TOP FLITE 11x7 Power Point wooden prop on it to add to the scale look. Maybe even nav lights.

Will post pics when complete.

Alpea42 01-30-2008 04:00 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Here's a Taylor Craft flying with an old Top Flight wood prop 11/7 .I think it was a 480 motor.

Henry Sistrunk 02-03-2008 03:48 PM

e-flite taylorcraft

I have a 450 in mine and it flies great.

fiddyzen 02-24-2008 08:21 AM

that is a sweet looking plane for sure- I am having a hard time deciding between this and the E-flite J3 Cub. how are these planes at handling wind- I am assuming the cub being larger would be better for that? also does anyone know where I can get the Taylorcraft? - everywhere I looked has it on back order till late march:{

Henry Sistrunk 02-24-2008 04:40 PM

Taylorcraft is a dream to fly.

I have both and fly them almost everyday. All in all I believe I like the Tayloycraft better. It seems to take wind better and lands like a dream.

deckert 02-27-2008 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by fiddyzen (Post 363731)
that is a sweet looking plane for sure- I am having a hard time deciding between this and the E-flite J3 Cub. how are these planes at handling wind- I am assuming the cub being larger would be better for that? also does anyone know where I can get the Taylorcraft? - everywhere I looked has it on back order till late march:{

I have both the E-Flite Cub 25 & the the Taylorcraft. Cub is running the Power 25 but never maidened due to weather.

The TC I fly regularly with the 450 in it. Very scale like with respect to power, or lack of. I did put wider wheels on it because the asphalt was eating up the factory foam wheels. Flies great with a 10x8 wood prop, drawing 118 watts from a 2170Mah lipo @ WOT. 1/2 throttle is 46 watts. A 10x7E prop is running @ 96 watts @ WOT. 1/2 throttle drops to about 38 watts.

Dan

donjiskra 03-02-2008 11:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Guys,
I used APC-E props and MAS "Electric" wood props on my E-Flite J3 with great results. I plan on using a Zinger non-electric wood prop on my E-Flite Taylorcraft. I think the wood prop look is much more realistic. The old belief that we needed to use "electric" props because they were lighter may have been valid when we used brushed motors, but with todays more powerful outunner motors that principle no longer applies.

I've installed an Electrifly Rimfire 2830 1450KV outrunner in my Taylorcraft.
A Zinger 8x6 wood prop, an ElectriFly 3s 1500mah lipo, with an ElectriFly 25amp ESC.

The Astro Wattmeter indicates: 22 amps and 197 watts
Ecalc2 indicates 101 watts per pound

My E-Flite J3 cub had an Axi 2820/10 with a 12x6 APC-E "electric prop it produced 79 watts/lb and flew very quick (not slow scale for my taste).

The Taylorcraft is much lighter, consequently the difference in Watts/lb is significant. The point I'm trying to make......
The Zinger is NOT an "electric" prop, but will perform very well and provide the realistic look I want.

Happy Flying,
Don

donjiskra 03-10-2008 01:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
All set for "Good to Go" from the Tower.
Pilot and Passenger are from the Fisher-Price "Loving Family", thanks to a posting by Dora Nine.

The prop is a 8x6 wood Zinger, tips painted red.

This is a beautiful model, a quality ARF, Thank You E-Flite!!!!

Don

haze_b 03-10-2008 07:28 PM

Beautiful plane!!

I love the stylings of the classic aircraft. Lots of personality. :cool:

beavenx5 06-04-2008 09:39 PM

Has anyone installed floats on their Taylorcraft?

The GWS floats I have on my PZ supercub would probably be a little small for it (21in) and the E-flite 25e (28in) or GP 20 size kit (27in) looks a little big. What size would you install?

I am still debating between the Taylorcraft and the new e-flite Beaver as my new float plane. The Taylorcraft is much smaller and would not handle wind as well as the Beaver but its size would allow me to use my many 3s 2100mAh batteries I already have. The Beaver would be a much more expensive project.

beavenx5 06-06-2008 07:18 PM

I ordered a Talorcraft

Well my choice is made, I just ordered the Taylorcraft as my next float plane. Unfortunately both my LHS and horizon website has them on backorder until the end of July :{. Any good lead on where to get them?

According to Charley (he is present both here and on RCU) the perfect floats for the T-Craft are from seaplanesupply.com :
http://seaplanesupply.com/floats.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...tm.htm#7523578

The floats are 24" long and are made of CNC cut foam cores. You can either put a light coat of waterbase paint on them or lay a thin balsa on the bottom and cover them with heat shrink covering for a nice finish and light weight. I have exchanged a couple of e-mails with Mark at seaplanesupply.com and he seems to be a very nice and helpful guy.

As for the electronics, i will use my park480 910Kv motor, E-Flite 25A ESC and Spectrum AR7000 receiver from my beat-up PZ T-28 Trojan. The T-28, although still flying, has had a rough life. I will semi-retire it and might bring it back out next winter swapping the electronic again.

mossman 07-16-2008 01:19 PM

I want a taylorcarft 450 but every model shop in Australia is Sold out. No stock until Nov anyone out there got one in oz for sale. Let me know [email protected] im off to China to work in two weeks part of the resources boom we havent got the labour here to finish all these steel mining projects so we can build these millions of brushless motors

gene465 07-21-2008 04:32 AM

Very nice aircraft wish mine would get here! Been on backorder for 2 mos now and according to Horizon backorder pushed back to Aug!

dk_aero 07-21-2008 05:45 AM

I just picked one up off E-bay - $98 ($111 with shipping). Should be here by the end of the week... Don't have a motor yet, but been thinking about the 2836-09 outrunner from Heads Up RC. I'll be using my DX6i for electronics. I like the idea of a wood prop (that 8 x 6 Zinger looks pretty good!).