WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

das ace 06-13-2007 07:04 PM

hello i'm new to WATTFLYER I own a GP DR1 and an eindecker my dad gave me right now I'm in the process of buildinga WWI-era zepplin it will be 15' long 5' wide and 5' tall i post pics when i'm done

Ron 06-13-2007 08:12 PM

Murph:

thie windex seems to activate the sticky stuff, but I usually take an iron and make sure the edges are sealed after everything dries out.
No bubbles when you use this method either. ;-)

Biplane Murphy 06-13-2007 08:15 PM

das ace....please post build pics. I think we would all like to see a zepplin
being built!! I know I would!!

Murph

Thanks Ron......I use trim solvent alot, but if you use too much it'll eat into the color part of the film!!

Kiwi 06-13-2007 11:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found my Albatros B II photo.

Murph, you asked if the germans invaded New Zealand? Yep, but we beat then back using our secret new Panzerkampfwagen!

Franny 06-14-2007 03:18 AM

Photos from Waldo Pepper

8 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

So, I'm SURE this breaks all kinds of copyright laws, but I went ahead and captured a bunch of screen shots from the last chapter of Waldo Pepper DVD. That is one awesome chapter!! I wanted some photos of the scheme.

Enjoy!

Franny

Franny 06-14-2007 10:23 PM

and a couple more..

2 Attachment(s)
I don't know who's these are, but these are totally schweet!

f

das ace 06-15-2007 06:17 AM

zeppelin building

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 210962)
das ace....please post build pics. I think we would all like to see a zepplin
being built!! I know I would!!

Murph

Thanks Ron......I use trim solvent alot, but if you use too much it'll eat into the color part of the film!!

i've run into a bump :< my wire a ordered came to day but it was rusted :sad: which shouldn't be a problem i'll just buy wire from ace hardware next time, so far so good.... any one got any ideas on what gas to fill it with hydrogen maybe?

BradT 06-15-2007 07:12 AM

NOT hydrogen!!! That's what burned in the Hindenburg. Hydrogen is very flammable, and therefore dangerous to use in this kind of application. Helium is not flammable, and is readily available from party supply outlets, as that's what they use to inflate the latex balloons. That would make it your lift gas of choice, I think.
Brad.

Biplane Murphy 06-15-2007 07:16 AM

zepplin

das ace....Hydrogen would be perfect if you want to re-create the last flight of the Hindenberg!!:):$:<:D Helium may be safer.

Murph

P.S. Please don't forget to post pics of your build.

brnyrbbl 06-15-2007 07:34 AM

Hydrogen?? That reminds me of a story a guy told me about one of his friends. The guy would take his boat out on the lake and fill those punching bag balloons (the big ones with the rubber band you hold on to) with hydrogen, tie them closed and put a piece of toilet paper in the opening up to the knot. He would light the paper and punch the balloon and watch as it drifted away then EXPLODED sending ripples across the water. One day the wind changed direction shortly after he hit the balloon and it came back toward him. He ran to the engine controls and tried to get away but the balloon exploded and burned most of his hair and he was semi-deaf for a couple weeks.. Hahahaaa.. what a lame arse! So I agree, stick with helium;-)

Biplane Murphy 06-15-2007 08:14 AM

the last post reminds me of my 4th grade teacher. He would take a big wine bottle fill it with galvanized nails (I think) and Hydrochloric acid (I Think) put a balloon over bottle opening.It would fill with hydrogen. Tied the knot attach string. let it float to up to the ceiling and light string............BOOM!!
Ceiling had nice black marks.........HA HA HA.
This was in the '70s. Don't think it would be allowed these days!!

Murph

das ace 06-15-2007 10:56 AM

hydrogen and thermite based paint that would be a great combination... not!!! i just dowloaded plans for zeppelin from http://arizonamodels.com
they built the model fighter zeppelin from flyboys
but one problem the plans are 1/16 scale and all my planes are 1/4 any way to convert the measurements? oh and murph i think i'll take photos of it as i'm building it and when i'mm done and post them all at the same time

das ace 06-15-2007 10:57 AM

forgot this in my post how do you get signitures

brnyrbbl 06-15-2007 05:33 PM

To convert from 1/16 to 1/4, you would multiply all measuremnts by 4. So if it was 1cm @ 1/16, it would be 4cm @ 1/4 scale.

To edit/add a signature, look up at the top ^^. Click on User CP and then look on the left side for "edit signature".

das ace 06-15-2007 06:55 PM

now i shall tell the tragic history of my planes, i have three camels and four DR.1's. i would have three E-III 5 tiger moths and one gotha but tragicly all of the planes i just listed are down and out the first E-III was being flown when i swooped down low and my friend (who apparently enjoy destroying my hard work) was hiding a bush with a lighter and a can of OFF bye-bye eindecker #1 the others wer destroyed when my friend figured out how to modify his RC sherman tank to fire .22 bullets and when this was over with i stopped using gas

brnyrbbl 06-15-2007 07:15 PM

OMG! that is toooo funny.. well not for you I'm sure.

das ace 06-15-2007 07:23 PM

well... when he first shot down a tiger moth he missed and blew the head of the G.I. joe i had in the cockpit then he hit the engine i had gas powered planes then so guess what? BOOOOOM!!!!!!

das ace 06-15-2007 07:28 PM

hey i got a signature

das ace 06-15-2007 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by dicknadine (Post 210406)
whats the best place to get the Maltese Cross decals for my 43" D7's ? dick

http://towerhobbies.com has some

brnyrbbl 06-15-2007 07:43 PM

Nice signature Das Ace!

das ace 06-15-2007 07:50 PM

thx :>

CarreraGTSCS 06-15-2007 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by das ace (Post 212023)
now i shall tell the tragic history of my planes, i have three camels and four DR.1's. i would have three E-III 5 tiger moths and one gotha but tragicly all of the planes i just listed are down and out the first E-III was being flown when i swooped down low and my friend (who apparently enjoy destroying my hard work) was hiding a bush with a lighter and a can of OFF bye-bye eindecker #1 the others wer destroyed when my friend figured out how to modify his RC sherman tank to fire .22 bullets and when this was over with i stopped using gas

You need a new friend. This one sounds like a d**k and dangerous too. Have any pictures of the flaming mess?

das ace 06-15-2007 09:48 PM

well, we just mess around. the gotha i mentioned wasn't shot down i landed it next to his tank (with an m80 in the cockpit) and blew it up bye bye sherman. now the air field has a rule no ground-to-air or air-to-ground combat the same for water combat on the pond so, my fokkers are safe to hunt his nieuports my tigers can kill his shermans without fear of air rade and my u-boats can kill his battleships. oh, i forgot to tell you we figured out how to make the guns shoot airsoft BB's and we figured out how to sequence the propeller to fire with out blowing off the propeller and im trying to fire .22 bullets. (lucky for us its a private air field) nieuports beware! well with the L-10 zapplin air plans firing .22 bullets might be a problem. no pics sry :<

degreen60 06-16-2007 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by das ace (Post 211899)
hydrogen and thermite based paint that would be a great combination... not!!! i just dowloaded plans for zeppelin from http://arizonamodels.com
they built the model fighter zeppelin from flyboys
but one problem the plans are 1/16 scale and all my planes are 1/4 any way to convert the measurements? oh and murph i think i'll take photos of it as i'm building it and when i'mm done and post them all at the same time

Use a graphics program to enlarge the plans to the size you want. Page print them and tape back together.

Biplane Murphy 06-17-2007 05:19 AM

Decals and a really big tree

3 Attachment(s)
Hi dicknadine....Came across an ad for military decals....
Northeast Screen Graphics (413) 525-7465 majordecals.com

Hey guys.......hope you don't do this..........Electric bipe stuck in the very top of a really really tall cyprus tree. Over 100 feet up.:<
Tree is next door at my friend's.
It's not a ww1 plane. It's my GP Ultimate Biplane ep. but I figured I would share anyway. Tallest tree in pic is the culprit.

Murphy

P.S. das ace.....you and your friend are truly maniacs.:)