WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

Walt Thyng 04-04-2006 10:27 PM

got me ron (-: I connected the ailerons using pushrods. After the first try I went back and made sure the connectors were all ninety degrees to the wing's bottom. I've checked them all for distance from the hinge line and they are all within a millimeter.
Walt

PS sorry, but I haven't sent any build photos for a while. Will try to get some soon.

dicknadine 04-04-2006 10:32 PM

howdy. has anybody done the 1932 Fokker D.XIII (Netherlands) or the D.XVII (Netherlands)? sure looks interesting. my 3 D7's coming along slowly. going in for first of the 2 catarack operations thurs, so building is put off for awhile- not the desire. dick

WWI Ace 04-04-2006 11:53 PM

Hey guys. Could it be that the angle of the pushrod changes so much between the mid and lower wings so much that travel is reduced? Do both pushrods between the three wings stay at the same angle throughout their range of motion? Just a thought as I haven't had to do a setup like this yet. My tripehound is still in the box. Steve.

kensp 04-05-2006 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 58265)
Talking to Steve, I took his advice and ordered this out runner for my foamie tripe ( which will NOT be ANY shade of RED) :D . Guys, is it my imagination or did the cost of brushless motors and controllers come down? :confused:

Here is a pic of the motor. Swings a 10X 4.7 prop. Anybody interested in some 400 motors? :D :D Martin
http://www.balsapr.com/img/bp/bp8yx.jpg
http://www.balsapr.com/

Here is a pic of this type of motor mounted in my 28 inch span Bristol scout. This motor come in several different winds and is sold under several different names. Mine is a Tower Pro 2410-12 (Star) with a KV:970 http://www.himodel.com/en/rc_hobby/electric_747.php. On two cells it draws 2.1 amps while swinging a GWS 10x4.7 at 3760 rpm. This allows a small 300-400mAh battery to be used and the resultant low weight enables a slow flying speed. Site for video http://www.kensp.com/Bristol%20Scout.mpg

Ken

scalercflyer 04-05-2006 03:05 AM

Dri

http://s96920072.onlinehome.us/Gal4/...ngs/01_100.jpg

This is for those of you who have no imagination and continue to believe that red is the only color for DRIs. :p Hope this helps Boys!!! :D Martin PS: got a guess who's plane this is?

scalercflyer 04-05-2006 03:39 AM

Cockpit coaming

Hey Ron, I just noticed the cockpit coaming on the Fokker. It looks like leather. Tell me how you did it. I'm lovin' the job you did on the rotary engine. :cool: A bit labor intensive, but well worth the effort in my book. :) I may do a rotary engine on the foamie tripe as well. :D We are all looking forward to the flight report. Keep 'em flying. Martin

Ron 04-05-2006 05:23 PM

Martin...thank you for the kind words...The motor was not really a chore...I just treated it as another model, and it's surprising how fast it went....the cockpit coaming is a " trade secret" , but I will share it with you here......it's actually automotive wiring cover...you know, the plastic ribbed type that's already split to go over the wire.... dirt cheap, and weighs practically nothing....the only drawback....it's only available in black. From a distance, it looks reasonably good, and I've found most guys
just look at the overall impression anyway, so it works..Like my daddy used to say " if you can't dazzle 'em with brains and workmanship,
baffle em with bu-----t " . looking forward to seeing your triplane when do the pictures arrive?? huh huh??

Ron 04-06-2006 09:39 PM

Anyone know where i can find information on jasta6?

WWI Ace 04-07-2006 12:40 AM

What do you need to know Ron? Both Martin and I have alot of books and he knows many websites with information. You can also go to www. aerodrome.com and click on links. You might find what you need there. Steve.

scalercflyer 04-07-2006 04:32 AM

Jasta 6

Ron what are you looking for? Let me know. Martin

Ron 04-07-2006 07:10 AM

Thanks guys......what I was looking for was EV 153/18
that's the one I have modeled ( or tried to model ) It was flown by
Richard Wenzl apparently, both he and the plane survived the war....he died in 1957 oh yes he had 12 victories to his credit. Jasta 6
I'm still poking around to see if I can find out what happened to the plane after the war.
bonus for me...when I was searching I came across pilot for my DR1...it's 147/17 flown by Ludwig Keseling......not an ace....no iron cross...no blue max......but he survived the war :-) Jasta 10

scalercflyer 04-08-2006 04:13 AM

Sander

Hey Guys, Steve and I both purchased this power sander from Harbor Freight Tools (http://www.harborfreight.com) :) It is very nice for fine work and getting those angles accurate. :cool: The table tilts too. :D It sells for $24.99. 11,000 RPMS! Well worth buying!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...3799/43749.gif

scalercflyer 04-08-2006 04:22 AM

Reference website

Try this Ron. The last one is what you want. Martin

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/
http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/wenzl.html
http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Duc.../CP/index.html

Ron 04-08-2006 06:11 AM

YUP...that's the guy.....the model in the picture has incorrect colours for lozenge though. :rolleyes: ( at least according to my sources ) looking at all the pictures, and I think I have my next Fokker picked out...I already have the E1...E111...D V1...EV....and DR1...guess which is next??? I can gaurantee it will be one with lozenge all over it though :D It definitely won't be the dreaded dare I say it??? R-- colour. I had thought to do some other silly thing like a Pup, but I need a few more Fokkers to complete my " jasta" , and they go together so easily compared to the other models, and they fly really well. And I just plain like 'em.
Besides that...I'm partial to the big round cowl :p ..added to that the fact that I already have the tail feathers drawn up, I just need to draw the rest of the model to the right scale to fit the tail group......Nothing lazy about me eh? :D :p And...I can build all the feathers, guns, wheels,
dummy motor etc. before the drawings are finished too. So technically, I could start building it this weekend :eek: don't think it's gonna happen though...flying season is here, and I need to practise my " routine" we have an event on the 22nd of this month, and I don't want to embarrass myself too much. EV will do test frights by the end of April at the latest
I'm just trying to figger out how to weather it some, and get some oil streaks down the side and on the cowl....numbers go on after that, then it will be time to commit aviation with it.

Ron 04-08-2006 06:19 AM

Neat lookin' sander......24.95 is a great price too ! ( even if it is US dollars ) But you guys are getting entirely too technical for me....you would laugh if you saw my " shop" ........razor blades, zona saw...razor plane ( home made) couple olfa knives, home made balsa stripper, dremel. and a handful of sand paper. Oh yeah and a couple of paint brushes. Somewhere is an airbrush that I got for 5 bucks at a swap meet, but I've never used it because I have no air supply. That sander sure is tempting though....
when I grow up, I'm going to get all the tools, THEN I will be able to build some really neat stuff....I'm not pokin fun at you guys.......I mean it.

ENUT 04-08-2006 12:58 PM

Ron do some looking around on this web site,http://www.theaerodrome.com/ It is the MECCA of W.W.I;) Also look for post by Dan San Abbot (spelling maybe off) he is one of the worlds leading authoreties on W.W.I. aircraft.He should be abell to help with your color scheme.
ENUT;)

WWI Ace 04-08-2006 03:48 PM

Hey Ron!! I'm not skilled enough to build like you without "cheater" tools. By the way Martin, used the disc sander the other day. It works great!!! You're gonna like it!!! Steve.

Ron 04-08-2006 03:53 PM

Thanks ENUT...I have the scheme already, I verified it a couple years ago when I built the " little" EV.....I was looking for the pilot's name ...and Martin and Steve put me onto some sites that were pretty good...I will look for Dan as I " cruise the net" I am starting to look for information on the next project, and everything helps. It sometimes takes a while to get information together, so I like to start at the beginning. That way when I'm to the part regarding colour etc, I'm ready to go.

Ron 04-08-2006 04:10 PM

Steve...they're not cheater tools ..they just make things easier and faster to do. As you well know, if you can't build already, they won't help you at all...
( except to make a mess faster ) . I'm all for helper tools, I just never seem to have the opportunity to buy one, and learned to build with a minimum of tools, because when I was a kid, I wanted to spend money on models not tools....I did some pretty tough ( bad) looking models in my past, but as I progressed they got slowly a little better each time.
It also made me a little more resourceful when it comes to figuring things out....... 24.95 is a great price but we here in the great white north are faced with duty 35% GST 7%.... local tax 71/2%.....exchange....15%....shipping.....25.dollars. ......looks like close to a hundred dollars here in the middle of nowhere........ratz.....you guys get all the good buys. :-)

WWI Ace 04-09-2006 12:03 AM

Yeah Ron I know what you mean. I'm all about easier. I have limited time for projects so any time that I can save is to my benefit. Anyway, my wife bought the sander for me so actually it didn't cost me anything!!! Cool huh? Steve

scalercflyer 04-09-2006 01:22 AM

Sander

It's a shame Ron. :( All those taxes, etc. :mad: How's a Guy to have fun building? Well anyway.... What is your next Fokker? I have some scathingly brilliant ideas for you..... Martin :D :D Oh, by the way, you could always move south... we could always use another good scale flyer/builder...

Ron 04-09-2006 06:24 AM

Steve:....now you owe her big time !! :eek:

Martin....I don't mind doing things the old slow way....I do everything the hard way....just ask my wife.......we have three kids....and in answer to your next question....standing in a hammock old boy :D

I haven't made the final decision on the next Fokker....I would , under normal circumstances, probably build a D V11 next.. I think it's a very cool model, but My good friend Brad T
whom I go to the odd event with, and fly with when we can line up schedules, built one a few years back, and I wouldn't want to be labled as a copy cat...

Actually next model to be finished is one you likely don't have information on....it's a Boeing Totem.......The one I'm going to " represent" is one that was built right here in Vancouver Canada for the mail run up and down the west coast of Canada during the thirties. R.C.M.P. borrowed it occasionally when their plane was inoperable ( which apparently was more often than not ).....my father was RCMP on the coast....he flew in it, so I thought...it's a very obscure plane... and when an aquaintance of mine who is getting out of the hobby, offered me all the specs, pictures, drawings, and advertising brochures from Boeing, along with all the pieces he has built and collected, I figured it's a sign from above, I HAVE to finish this model. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing one before. man this is nuts...I haven't finished up the EV yet, and I'm already planning my next winter's project.
The Totem will be done by Aug at the latest, so I can fly it at our fall event which takes place partly at our float pond.
I would be interested in hearing any suggestions you fellows have on a model.... Martin...remember..the more obscure the better...it has to be a Fokker and it has to be WW1 preferably with a round cowl , and not rrrrrrrrrrrrrreddddddddd ;) Steve...I just said that about the colour to keep him calm :rolleyes: ...The D VI was practically unheard of when I built it a few years ago. How are your models coming along? shouldn't be too too long till they're done .....Martin,I just noticed you are from Jersey...I have a good friend who lives in New Jersey...he plays lead trumpet for the Metropolitan Opera....small world eh? He grew up here in Vancouver/Richmond B.C. area....I have one of his old cars stored in one of my barns for the last 6 or 8 years :rolleyes: gonna have to get him to come get it...it's taking up valuable airplane storage space :mad:

scalercflyer 04-09-2006 01:04 PM

Thanks

Thanks Ron! I really needed you to mention that color again! :eek: Well Buddy, I just happen to have a book called Fokker Aircraft of WWI. :) If I can't find you an obscure plane out of that book, I'll eat it. :eek: I'll bet one of those barns would make a nice workshop if converted properly! :D Tell us a little more about the meet you have each year. Sounds kinda cool. Texas has some weird events or so I am told. Something about rattle snakes... punching bulls.... throwing live rattlers at each other.... you know real family fun! :D All I can tell you is we don't have that kind of excitement here in NJ. Hmmmm.... maybe I should move South..... NOT! Martin

Ron 04-09-2006 05:33 PM

It's just a few of us from all over get together on Memorial Day Week end.

If the weather is good that weekend, we can expect any where from 40 to 60 pilots to show up.... since everyone brings pretty much at least 2 models each, there's lots to look at. people come from all over.....Washing ton State is our biggest attenders, but we have had fliers from Texas, Florida, Mexico, Japan, Germany, the East Coast of Canada and the eastern USA. we even get the odd one from locally :-) I have been hosting this event for the last dozen or so years.....officially it's supposed to be called the Chilliwack Memorial Day Electric Fly In, but the "regulars" just call it Ron's Fly in . it's very laid back, no competition, No real vendor participation, as I encourage them to kinda remain incognito. this allows them to come and enjoy themselves too...they get a fly in where they can just relax fly and have fun...people are surprised when they find out later that so and so from a certain company was here, for the weekend, and was just one of the regular guys having fun with everyone else. I don't tell vendors they're not welcome to set up shop, ( they are )...but once they see this is one where they can just relax and have fun, they mostly don't bother. Sometimes if everyone's schedule lines up, and the weather is really good, we can get over 100 pilots. We had 105 once....But the norm is 40 ish. We encourage everyone to come a day or two early, and stay a day or two after, so it is a week of fun...flying goes on from dawn til well after dark, with some of the heli pilots also doing night time routines for the enjoyment of all...Many camp on the field , which is encouraged, and they use it as a base for the family to go sight seeing for a few days while the fly in is on.....This is one of my favourite events, because of all the great people who make it happen...I supply the field, the date, and the camping...from there the participants have made it into a great weekend, and I have made some great friendships that I'm sure will last my whole life. If you ever can attend, we would be most happy to have you here for it.

Ron 04-09-2006 05:47 PM

Martin....forgot to mention that we have a trip to our private float pond Sat morning, and Sunday Morning for those who have float planes....it's far enough from the field, that we need not worry about frequency conflicts. There is always a thread on the other board about the fly in with lots and lots of pictures for all to see. couple years ago the "theme" was World War one models.....we did have a complete Jasta that year.Fokkers, Halberstadts, Junkers, tin donkey .....there were a couple of the obligatory SE5A models, a scout and a camel, but they were badly out numbered, and avoided dogfight situations....