WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

Rabbitcreekok 08-23-2018 03:55 PM

Thanks for posting the photos, Eric. The model looks great. It is not easy to build, with all the ribs and stringers. I have spent way too much time down inside the fuselage of a Stearman, sanding rust off the tubing and re-priming it with chromemoly primer. Since I was the youngest person available, I got to do the contortion job.


That is a nice looking Stearman you are posing with. It looks to have the 300 Lycoming engine in it. We restored a Stearman for someone else when I had the FBO here in McAlester that had the 300 in it. Great engine for a Stearman. Most of my Dad's Stearman's had the R985, 450hp, Pratt and Whitney engines in them.


Your photos bring back old memories. Thanks again for posting them.

stearman65 08-23-2018 04:06 PM


Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok (Post 1014370)
Thanks for posting the photos, Eric. The model looks great. It is not easy to build, with all the ribs and stringers. I have spent way too much time down inside the fuselage of a Stearman, sanding rust off the tubing and re-priming it with chromemoly primer. Since I was the youngest person available, I got to do the contortion job.


That is a nice looking Stearman you are posing with. It looks to have the 300 Lycoming engine in it. We restored a Stearman for someone else when I had the FBO here in McAlester that had the 300 in it. Great engine for a Stearman. Most of my Dad's Stearman's had the R985, 450hp, Pratt and Whitney engines in them.


Your photos bring back old memories. Thanks again for posting them.

Hi Jim
The full sized Stearmann was based at Liverpool UK when I went to see it. I was offered a flight but the weather was freezing & I chickened out, always regretted it.
Done some more cogitating on my next model to start me off & I'm 99% convinced the Top Flite Stinson Reliant is the way to go. There is a kit at ready money over here & an almost completed one with servos on the UK Ebay which originally dragged me in. I would buy that one but it's covered in red Solartex which could cover a thousand sins!!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-FLITE...53.m1438.l2649

Rabbitcreekok 08-23-2018 04:22 PM

I was never fortunate enough to either fly or ride in a Gull Wing Stinson, but I really like them. The wings have a "structure" rather than just ribs and spars. That is a really big model and will require a fairly powerful electric motor to motivate it. They are out there, it is just choosing the best one to do the job.


Be sure and keep us posted on what you decide and then start a build thread so we can follow the build.


Thanks again, Eric.

stearman65 08-23-2018 04:40 PM


Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok (Post 1014372)
I was never fortunate enough to either fly or ride in a Gull Wing Stinson, but I really like them. The wings have a "structure" rather than just ribs and spars. That is a really big model and will require a fairly powerful electric motor to motivate it. They are out there, it is just choosing the best one to do the job.


Be sure and keep us posted on what you decide and then start a build thread so we can follow the build.


Thanks again, Eric.

Hi Again Jim
Re the motor, I already asked the question on the forum but as yet didn't get a response. There are quite a few on Youtube E powered but without details, but it will be quite while before I need to worry about it.
Regards Eric.

Whizzer 10-17-2018 07:50 PM

Just signed in today (10/17/2018) and looking forward to this website. Flew solo 09/28/2018 and today was second time flying w/o a buddy box to keep me company. Brought everything home in one piece but what can be expected when still trying to grasp the concept of controls.
Was involved for more than twenty years restoring John Deere lawn tractors made pre-1980 while living in New Jersey and later North Carolina but the move to Florida and much smaller house meant getting out of one hobby and finding a new one. This is it. Enjoying the chaps I meet at the airfield and various forums with so much helpful information. Looking forward to the valuable information that will make me a better pilot.

Rabbitcreekok 10-17-2018 08:32 PM

Hello Whizzer and welcome to Wattflyer.


Good job on the solo flying. It is always good when you bring them home all in one piece. Your brain will eventually learn to fly correctly when they are coming toward you, it just takes practice. A slow flyer is best to learn this on because things don't happen so fast when you move the stick the wrong way.


Remember to always learn at least three mistakes high. We like to keep them close to the ground but sometimes the ground gets there before you can correct the mistakes.


You will find that there are a lot of really nice, helpful folks in RC flying. They are willing to share parts and knowledge. They have all been where you are now and want to see you keep in the hobby.


By the way, can John Deere lawn tractors fly?;-):tc:

stearman65 10-17-2018 10:03 PM

Electric Top Flite Stinson Reliant
 

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok (Post 1014372)
I was never fortunate enough to either fly or ride in a Gull Wing Stinson, but I really like them. The wings have a "structure" rather than just ribs and spars. That is a really big model and will require a fairly powerful electric motor to motivate it. They are out there, it is just choosing the best one to do the job.


Be sure and keep us posted on what you decide and then start a build thread so we can follow the build.


Thanks again, Eric.

Hi Jim
I have started the build & the thread is on 3 other sites including RC Groups & 2 others. I thought it was gilding the lily to put it on here as well. Thanks for the interest.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ant-SR9-to-SR6

mclarkson 10-18-2018 12:02 AM

Welcome!

Don Sims 10-18-2018 12:46 AM

Welcome to WF!

jeholliday 10-18-2018 08:56 PM

Will be watching this on other forum. Not too many people with the talent or patience to build now a days.

stearman65 10-18-2018 11:45 PM


Originally Posted by jeholliday (Post 1015002)
Will be watching this on other forum. Not too many people with the talent or patience to build now a days.

I was in my late twenties when I bought the following Top Flite kits as they were introduced, The Mustang razor or bubble, Warhawk & the Aircobra all for 10cc engines, if my Stinson is a sample of today's quality, they sure need to improve. Thanks for your interest.

Stick Dude 10-19-2018 04:20 AM

New here also. Working on an Electric stick, motor on order. Soggy weather is keeping a lot of Texans from enjoying the outdoors...

Rabbitcreekok 10-19-2018 06:43 AM


Originally Posted by Stick Dude (Post 1015007)
New here also. Working on an Electric stick, motor on order. Soggy weather is keeping a lot of Texans from enjoying the outdoors...


Glad to have you, Stick Dude. Welcome to Wattflyer. We are getting the same stinking weather north of you in Oklahoma. Sometimes I feel like I am living in Seattle, where it rains a lot.

Stick Dude 10-20-2018 12:40 PM

Yes, very strange weather? A little rain is ok, but I think the water table should be good by now.

JESMOND 01-25-2019 03:13 PM

tks for get me on board..Hello to all of you guys!!!.

AEAJR 01-25-2019 03:31 PM

Jesmond,

Welcome to Wattflyer. Feel free to star a new discussion for any questions you have.

Don Sims 01-25-2019 11:50 PM

Welcome Jesmond.

JESMOND 01-26-2019 04:16 AM


Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 1017367)
Welcome Jesmond.

Tks Don Sims ...really i don't know how I can post in forum .... but I need to know if can I ask on ic power ??...tks.

juanroestel 02-17-2019 12:22 PM

I am glad to join the group ! excellent electric discussion site

AEAJR 02-17-2019 12:55 PM

juanroestel,

Welcome to Wattflyer!

Citabria32Yankee 02-17-2019 03:28 PM


Originally Posted by juanroestel (Post 1017750)
I am glad to join the group ! excellent electric discussion site

Thanks. Once I sank my teeth on Electric Power, I forgot all about nitro/gas.

Citabria32Yankee 02-17-2019 03:29 PM


Originally Posted by AEAJR (Post 1017751)
juanroestel,

Welcome to Wattflyer!

Thanks. GREAT site!!!

Citabria32Yankee 02-17-2019 03:31 PM


Originally Posted by AEAJR (Post 1017751)
juanroestel,

Welcome to Wattflyer!

Thanks, GREAT site!!!

Don Sims 02-19-2019 12:59 AM

welcome to WF!

speedamigo 03-06-2019 01:25 PM

Thanks for accepting me - i already found some cool information here.
To show you a bit what i do - here's a video of a friends e-flite timber i shot a week ago on the Lake Geneva shore.
another one of my own catalina will follow soon



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:49 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.08841 seconds with 9 queries