WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

mclarkson 11-24-2015 10:50 PM

Welcome, guys!

Don Sims 11-25-2015 10:34 AM

Welcome to Wattflyer!
Enjoy the site and share your knowledge.

Vertigo2 11-25-2015 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 983959)
Vertigo/Tord,

Is there a difference between 'classic' pattern and 'senior' pattern ?

You could probably start a whole category on pattern here.

Cheers,

Hawk

Hawk,
They are both classic pattern. Classic pattern is what is know as "Non-Turnaround" pattern, I. E. where one maneuver is flown per pass, VS Turnaround where the maneuvers are strung together in a a "sequence", and flown in an arbitrary "box". Turnaround is the way contemporary pattern is flown.

The difference is "Senior" (SPA or Senior Pattern Association) pattern is a group that restricts that airframes to having design date prior to Jan. 1, 1975. In addition, the group does not allow retractable landing gear or tuned exhausts, which became prevalent in the latter part of the classic era. The intent of this is to keep the aircraft simple and affordable.

On the other hand, the Classic Pattern Association has no airframe or equipment restrictions. While the older classic designs are honored, they are not absolutely mandatory. The focus tends to be more on the non-turnaround style of flying the pattern. The older designs tend to excel at this task, as that is what they are designed to do.

Most classic enthusiasts are in it for the planes, because they are so dang cool. As with most interest groups, only a minority is concerned with competition. That works well for classic pattern, and out west, we have at least one classic pattern "Fly-In" type of events annually, where pilots can get out their classic airplanes and just have a fun day flying them in a no pressure environment.

I am new to this site, if there is no dedicated Classic Pattern forum here, maybe one could be started. Many newcomers to classic pattern are electric flyers, and want nothing to do with glow engines. Electric is key to growth in classic pattern, and there are some folks out there doing it right.

Robert

Robert

grant22 01-04-2016 04:55 AM

Hi everyone,

New guy here from Lake Havasu, AZ. I'm getting back into RC pLanes after a few years off. My past planes were the easystar, twin star, eflite pulse, funtanaX, and an Edge, I believe.

Back into it because I have step sons now, and one is interested in a career in aviation.

Naturally, I bought him an easystar setup and now we're both hooked (again, for me)

Next on the list is to build my new in box easyglider electric, and then maybe buy a Carbon-Z cub. Maybe we'll add floats.

Anyway, I look forward to bugging you all with questions :)

Thanks for your time

mclarkson 01-04-2016 07:27 AM

Welcome back, sir!

Don Sims 01-04-2016 10:01 AM

Howdy Grant, welcome!

SARG5 01-04-2016 02:25 PM

Love my Easystar; My first elect. RC

ooOoo 01-05-2016 12:22 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and to RC planes. I've got about 10 electric planes including the foam board delta I'm building. I also have two older planes that I think have been discontinued, a Great Planes Big Stick 20 and a Magic. The Stick has a glow motor on it and the Magic is new, unflown. Originally I was going to convert the glow planes to electric, but have since decided I have enough electric planes and I'm going to keep them as glow powered planes. Of all my planes I have, my Champ is the only one I've flown so far.

mclarkson 01-05-2016 01:41 AM

Welcome! The Champ is a great starter plane if you have enough calm to fly it in.

FoxProGT 01-05-2016 09:51 AM

Sup peeps...

Im new to this forum but have been into rc for awhile (rc cars & boats) I use to be into planes many many years ago but wasn't very good at it. Im getting back into planes and picked up a PZ Sport Cub S2 as my trainer. Iv had 6 flights with it so far and im very happy with the way this bird flys and am gaining more confidence with each flight. :D

The only downer for me at the moment is this AMA, FAA and lack of flying fields or parks that allow rc recreation. :(

mclarkson 01-05-2016 10:21 PM

Welcome back, sir.

firemanbill 01-05-2016 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ooOoo (Post 987094)
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and to RC planes. I've got about 10 electric planes including the foam board delta I'm building. I also have two older planes that I think have been discontinued, a Great Planes Big Stick 20 and a Magic. The Stick has a glow motor on it and the Magic is new, unflown. Originally I was going to convert the glow planes to electric, but have since decided I have enough electric planes and I'm going to keep them as glow powered planes. Of all my planes I have, my Champ is the only one I've flown so far.

Originally Posted by FoxProGT (Post 987131)
Sup peeps...

Im new to this forum but have been into rc for awhile (rc cars & boats) I use to be into planes many many years ago but wasn't very good at it. Im getting back into planes and picked up a PZ Sport Cub S2 as my trainer. Iv had 6 flights with it so far and im very happy with the way this bird flys and am gaining more confidence with each flight. :D

The only downer for me at the moment is this AMA, FAA and lack of flying fields or parks that allow rc recreation. :(

Welcome aboard guys!:)

hanslanda 01-08-2016 01:24 AM

Hello all! I am new to Wattflyer! You can thank rcgroups for their repeated online miss-conduct for that.

I had a wonderful idea, as a new builder, and was immediately bashed by a member on their board. Who later was reported. But also was a friend of the many Jims's. Moments later all of my posts were reported as trolling. In my own thread...

So here i am! I can't wait to share in my project with both knowledge and kindness to a group without being bully'd for no apparent reason. It's great to be here :)

Don Sims 01-08-2016 10:20 AM

Welcome!

hanslanda 01-08-2016 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 987384)
Welcome!

Thanks Don!

Charles2427 02-15-2016 11:08 PM

Newbie just dropping in to say hi.

Don Sims 02-16-2016 12:27 AM

Hey Charles, welcome!

PappyJ 02-16-2016 12:48 AM

Welcome Aboard!

Charles.....I'm a relative newbie but gaining knowledge with every post I read here! Why don't you tell us a bit about what type of r/c you are into?

Cheers!
Lyle

Rabbitcreekok 02-16-2016 04:46 AM

Welcome, Charles. We have some other folks here from your part of the world.

Charles2427 02-16-2016 10:23 PM

Many thanks for your welcome I only fly electric and very much a novice but I am here to learn as much as possible about my new hobby and I am very much a late starter as I am 67.

GTiR1080 03-06-2016 03:00 AM

Hi all. Newby from regional Western Australia here. Been flying for a couple of years now all electric so far. Although I do have a large gasser extra 330 as well. My electric planes though are a HK flybeam, Eflite Night Visionaire and UMX beast, and then a Freewing FA18. Not a member of any clubs though as I live on a farm so have all the room I need to fly :tc:. Also have a Phantom 2 Vision quadcopter.

birdDog 03-06-2016 03:16 AM

Welcome Aboard! Always room for more.

solentlife 03-06-2016 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by hanslanda (Post 987375)
Hello all! I am new to Wattflyer! You can thank rcgroups for their repeated online miss-conduct for that.

I had a wonderful idea, as a new builder, and was immediately bashed by a member on their board. Who later was reported. But also was a friend of the many Jims's. Moments later all of my posts were reported as trolling. In my own thread...

So here i am! I can't wait to share in my project with both knowledge and kindness to a group without being bully'd for no apparent reason. It's great to be here :)

You are not the first and definitely not the last to cross the divide !

RCG is of course probably the worlds largest Rc Forum - but therein lies it Achilles heel. With such numbers there will be the '*******' who think they rule the roost.

Welcome to what is most probably the most friendly and well mannered forum you'll ever find.
Of course we do have our odd moments - but we all muck in and very rare does it get out of hand. Gentle prods from Mods sees to that.

You will find here that there is a large emphasis on scratchbuild and ways to solve various. We have some of the best guys who really know their stuff ...

Welcome and we look forward to all posts from you and the others who have found heaven in a Forum !!

Cheers
Nigel

Don Sims 03-06-2016 10:11 AM

Welcome GT!

road king 97 03-06-2016 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by GTiR1080 (Post 991185)
Hi all. Newby from regional Western Australia here. Been flying for a couple of years now all electric so far. Although I do have a large gasser extra 330 as well. My electric planes though are a HK flybeam, Eflite Night Visionaire and UMX beast, and then a Freewing FA18. Not a member of any clubs though as I live on a farm so have all the room I need to fly :tc:. Also have a Phantom 2 Vision quadcopter.

Welcome GT . :D joe