WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

MustangMan 08-07-2009 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by HokieFlyer (Post 630164)
One more newbie checking in!

I've been building balsa & tissue models for quite a while, but was always afraid to free fly them and destroy all my hard work. With the variety of RTFs out there, I figured I'd give elec flight a try. Been lurking for a week or two, and really like what I see here.

I'm leaning toward a Supercub LP, and I just found out that a guy at work is an instructor for the local club. From what I've read, this sounds like the makings of a good start.

Welcome to WattFlyer HokieFlyer!

I can certainly understand you're not wanting to put your delicate creations at risk!

Indeed the Supercub and an instructor should get you off to a good start. One other piece that is helpful is a flight simulator. Search around the forums for perspectives on the various ones available. Remember, if you fly, you will crash.:eek: Building and repairing is part of the hobby. Enjoy it all!;) Crashes in the simulator are the cheapest and easiest to repair, BY FAR! The simulator is never exactly like flying a real plane under real conditions but it's plenty close enough to get you through learning basic (dis)orientation issues and fundamental control usage.

one_more_flight 08-07-2009 05:27 PM

hello everyone im new to the forum and sorta new to the flying i have flown a few small weird things that can be roughly described as a plane for quite a while, but i still consider myself a novice.

mike

MustangMan 08-07-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by one_more_flight (Post 630241)
hello everyone im new to the forum and sorta new to the flying i have flown a few small weird things that can be roughly described as a plane for quite a while, but i still consider myself a novice.

mike

Welcome Mike. How about sharing some details of your strange flying machines!?

Don Sims 08-07-2009 06:14 PM

Hey Hokey and One more! Welcome!

one_more_flight 08-08-2009 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MustangMan (Post 630246)
Welcome Mike. How about sharing some details of your strange flying machines!?

the very first thing i flew was actually something that resembles an f18. tiny thing got it at radio shack for like 25 bucks. its a 2 channel foamie thats horibly underpowered. the next 1 i found somewhere (not entirely sure where i bought that from) was my xpv 2.0. thats also a 2 channel "plane" but its different, its a tiny plane with a 7.4v (650mah? dont remember now) so its quite heavy for the size so it goes like hell. the thing i like about the xpv tho is that i have crashed it alot of times at very high speed, and the front is so chewed up its made out of glue sticks, but other than a minor 5 min motor fix once i never had any electrical problems. today i got me a cessna 206t (the 5 channel version) and finaly got a flight sim cause i dont wana break it thats basicly it for my flying experience

you can almost say that im a cheap flyer:ws:
mike

SARG5 08-12-2009 12:58 AM

new to E-flite

Sarg 5
I am still fighting the old nitro stuff that has hung in the basement for many many years. Still in the trainer RC.
Yep. Sure wish I had not started back up with the old nitro stuff. Last evening I was 14 for 14 flights with DEAD STICK LANDINGS. Just cannot get the OS-40 to run.
I am sure going to change over to e-flight as soon as the pocket book will allow.
Sarg 5 :mad:

Lancifer 08-12-2009 11:34 PM

I just got the Real Flight G4.5 simulator and man its sssooo sweet. Try one of these for some realalistic flying!!! definitely worth every penny!! $249.00 !!

MustangMan 08-13-2009 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lancifer (Post 632089)
I just got the Real Flight G4.5 simulator and man its sssooo sweet. Try one of these for some realalistic flying!!! definitely worth every penny!! $249.00 !!

I fly it whenever I visit the LHS. It often attracts some non-fliers. But I spend my money on planes that aren't virtual.:rolleyes: I guess I'm an old fart that way.

Lancifer 08-13-2009 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by MustangMan (Post 632104)
I fly it whenever I visit the LHS. It often attracts some non-fliers. But I spend my money on planes that aren't virtual.:rolleyes: I guess I'm an old fart that way.

I hear you on spending cash on planes as in my fleet i have a Parkzone Corsair , PZ Trojan, Eflite Mentor , Eflite Texan is in the mail and should be here soon, and Hanger 9 Corsair and Hellcat 60 size planes and im converting them to electric!! Im what you say addicted!!

SARG5 08-13-2009 01:02 AM

I am still wanting to get a sem. to improve my flying. And keep the Rc in the air.
Sarg 5

MustangMan 08-13-2009 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by SARG 5 (Post 632120)
I am still wanting to get a sem. to improve my flying. And keep the Rc in the air.
Sarg 5

Oh I fully understand and even agree with the rationale. I've even recommended simulators to quite a few people interested in learning. I'm just so addicted to flying outside that I never quite got around to getting one.:rolleyes:

I recently had a young student who'd spent a good bit of time on a simulator. He progressed very quickly. I have little doubt that it's useful in gaining some experience and in skill building.

Airplane 08-19-2009 07:26 PM

New member intro

Hi Folks I'm new to flying, and chose EP due to its advantages over NP for the beginner. Right now, I'm flying a Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub, and recently bought a Hobbico Cessna 182 Select Scale as well, though I haven't flown it yet but I got a good deal on it so I went ahead and picked it up! There may be a nitro in my future who knows! Everyone I've met in the hobby so far seems more than willing to share their expertise and eager to have a new guy in the mix, and that's great! I'm looking forward to insight from you experienced people, and this seems to be a great forum that's growing daily. :)

MustangMan 08-19-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Airplane (Post 634097)
Hi Folks I'm new to flying, and chose EP due to its advantages over NP for the beginner. Right now, I'm flying a Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub, and recently bought a Hobbico Cessna 182 Select Scale as well, though I haven't flown it yet but I got a good deal on it so I went ahead and picked it up! There may be a nitro in my future who knows! Everyone I've met in the hobby so far seems more than willing to share their expertise and eager to have a new guy in the mix, and that's great! I'm looking forward to insight from you experienced people, and this seems to be a great forum that's growing daily. :)

Welcome to the hobby and WattFlyer! This is indeed a great place to get and give help and encouragement and you'll find plenty of both here.

One of my students just picked up an HZ mini SC. He already had a few hours of "dual" (buddy box) time on my StevensAero SQuiRT so he has done pretty well with the Cub. Sadly he's had a couple of minor equipment problems with it. The LHS, however, has been very willing to jump in and be helpful so, aside from delays in getting in parts, it seems like a fine little beginner plane. My friend's biggest problem seems to be maintaining a sense of his environment and dealing with wind drift. He's had to fish it out of trees several times now.

Don Sims 08-19-2009 11:56 PM

Welcome Airplane, we're happy to see you here!

Rabbitcreekok 08-20-2009 03:30 AM

Hello Airplane and welcome to Wattflyer.

You are correct about the hobby. Most model airplane nuts are always willing to help anyone, especially those new to the hobby. We don't want them to get discouraged and get away from flying.

pegaso21 08-20-2009 04:20 AM

Hi

A new member for the squadron.

greetings

one_more_flight 08-20-2009 05:33 AM

hey pegaso welcome to the club

cheshireflyer 08-20-2009 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MustangMan (Post 630228)
Welcome to WattFlyer HokieFlyer!

I can certainly understand you're not wanting to put your delicate creations at risk!

Indeed the Supercub and an instructor should get you off to a good start. One other piece that is helpful is a flight simulator. Search around the forums for perspectives on the various ones available. Remember, if you fly, you will crash.:eek: Building and repairing is part of the hobby. Enjoy it all!;) Crashes in the simulator are the cheapest and easiest to repair, BY FAR! The simulator is never exactly like flying a real plane under real conditions but it's plenty close enough to get you through learning basic (dis)orientation issues and fundamental control usage.

I certainly understand you. I have made models for about 45 years and been in and out of the R/C scene over that time. I have a love of vintage aircraft and have a couple just sitting around but a bit scared to fly em and smash em. My last disaster about six years agao was when my Junior 60 few off into the clouds with a lovely Saito S30 MK1 onboard.
We still have no idea why this happened . The gear was brand new and I always wonder about new equipment. Maybe I found the fault!

Well I am now paranoid of something similar happening again. I have a bumble bee, a 1950's design sitting on my shelf. This has an outrunner and 3 cells. I shall have to bite the bullet and get it into the air .

I spent quite an amount of time on the FMS simulator and am improving slowly.

lilleyen 08-28-2009 03:19 PM

Real Flight G4.5

Originally Posted by Lancifer (Post 632089)
I just got the Real Flight G4.5 simulator and man its sssooo sweet. Try one of these for some realistic flying!!! definitely worth every penny!! $249.00 !!

Mine's at the post office, picking it up tonight. Can't wait!:ws:
Any tips Lancifer?

Just wondering, I saw some planes advertised yesterday that had down loadable sim software for the G4.5, so you could practice flying them before you buy.
Are there other sources of down loadable sims for other models anywhere on the net?

I know there are add on packages sold by Real Flight, but I'm thinking of individual model additions, specifically the Parkzone Radian e-glider.
(I keep over controlling mine into terra firma.):red:

A few years back I built a 2 M glider (still hanging in my office) joined a club, started to earn my wings, (Got a few flights in), and then life got in the way.
So I'm a relative newby, both in the air and as concerns the new electronics and electrics.
Lots to learn.

kik 08-28-2009 04:19 PM

Oops didn't introduce myself.

Sorry I just spotted this thread, my flight hours aren't many, although that's not through lack of trying ;) .

So far I have the FZ Cessna 182 Skylane, the ST 182 Skylane and in the post I have the brand new J-power 182 Skylane.........hmmm addicted to the 182 are we kik???? well I started training for my pilots license in one and I have
always liked the shape, not addicted however, I just feel familiar with them, if that makes any sense.

My dad (now 67) started flying way back in the late 50's and he still can't master these bloody finicky troublesome pains in the wallet.

When he started flying his planes had wind up servo's lol.

I have had many an enjoyable time both flying and fixing planes with my father, whom I consider my best friend.

The best thing we ever done was leave nitro behind, e-planes don't stall for no apparent reason leaving you with dead stick landings in harsh terrain.

Although that being said my FZ 182 is a gutless pile of crap that refuses to fly due to being under powered and my ST has weird transmission problems hence the J-power in the post.

Waiting on manufacturers response to a replacement for my ST as it is a write off after doing really weird stuff after transmission failure.

I have posted this topic so please if anyone else has had issues with either the FZ or the ST 182's please respond as I'm curious if I got duds or dudded :)

Great site, I will be here plenty (hopefully without any crash pics) :)

Don Sims 08-28-2009 04:43 PM

LOL!! Welcome gents!! May you have few and not too bad encounters with mother earth with your planes! And Welcome to Wattflyer!

PaperAirplane 08-29-2009 02:42 AM

This may be the worst question ever but here it goes:

How do you start a thread?

Don Sims 08-29-2009 03:13 AM

Naaa there's been worse.... Go to the forum you want to start one in then click on the "New Thread" button on the left side. You should be able to take it from there.

PaperAirplane 08-29-2009 03:38 AM

self esteem boosted thanks to you

HalfaStrut 08-30-2009 03:36 AM

New To Elec

HI

Ater 35 yrs of building elec "steam" locomotives I thought it was time for a change, what else but elec aircraft. WW1 mostly . And a site devoted to elec only flight will definatly be a learning experiance for me. I need all the help I can get.

Pat