WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

7car7 01-05-2009 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey (Post 537545)
did you rig your jenny up with pull pull, or direct drive?

I did pull pull. Single servo, mounted in lower wing.

Control horn only in the top of aileron, pulling forward, for up direction, and the idler is attached to the bottom of the horn, pulling straight down. This gives about 3/8 inch up, and almost no down. Maybe about 1/8 inch.

I'm actually shocked at how well it worked. No regrets. I tried ailerons on a Tiger Moth once, it was a mistake. But you never know, I've learned a lot in a years time, perhaps it can be done with huge differential like the Jenny has.

FlyingMonkey 01-05-2009 04:41 PM

ok, we want pictures...

7car7 01-05-2009 04:50 PM

Well, I'll have to do something about that!

Just realized I hadn't updated in the Jenny thread about this.

I'll get pics ASAP.

FlyingMonkey 01-05-2009 05:09 PM

get on it! NOW!!!

:D

degreen60 01-05-2009 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 7car7 (Post 537546)
Oh, forgot to mention. Last week was the first time I've ever flown in snow. It was really fun. The Tiger Moth was a hand launch only deal, and a slight nose over at the very last of the touchdown, but the GP SE5a did great, take off and landing. It looked really cool making tracks in the snow. It was about 1.5 inches or so :tc:.

I made a set of skies for my TM. Used a meat tray and let the rim be the front of the ski. Have a piece of foam with thin plywood on each side for the axle to go throw. Put pins through the foam and plywood on each side of the gear leg to keep skies flat. Worked good then my son took the TM to Baton Rouge, don't need the skies there.

7car7 01-05-2009 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 537696)
I made a set of skies for my TM. Used a meat tray and let the rim be the front of the ski. Have a piece of foam with thin plywood on each side for the axle to go throw. Put pins through the foam and plywood on each side of the gear leg to keep skies flat. Worked good then my son took the TM to Baton Rouge, don't need the skies there.

I might be doing some skis! We've had more snow in the NW than in recent years, I bet we'll be getting more. Sounds fun.

7car7 01-06-2009 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey (Post 537550)
ok, we want pictures...

Welll, here ya go! Don't want to post too many pics twice, so I'll give ya a link...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...&postcount=316

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...C/07835e85.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...C/9a6b7d25.jpg

rhino 01-06-2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 535776)
Any particular flavor rhino? SE5a, Albatros, DRI? Any money limit? Martin

No particular flavor, though I would prefer to add a German bird to my collection. As long as the dollar amount stays around twenty to thirty bucks (is that possible for one of those kits), then I don't need to get any clearance from my XO.

BTW, nice Jenny, 7c7.

Bobby M. 01-06-2009 08:53 PM

Wow.... more pics of the servo setup please..... NM I just saw the link.

FlyingMonkey 01-06-2009 11:58 PM

awesome work 7, as usual!

7car7 01-07-2009 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey (Post 538654)
awesome work 7, as usual!

Thanks so much!

degreen60 01-11-2009 08:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the build of a Comet Superstars Fokker DR1. The stringered part of the fuselage and wings are covered with kitchen cling wrap. The open bays on the front bottom of the fuselage with be covered with 2 doors. The back door will have the elevator servo under it and the front door will have battery as close to firewall as possible.

Cookie 01-11-2009 08:51 PM

degreen60, looks good. I see you solved that cabane strut problem. Good idea.

degreen60 01-11-2009 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 542206)
degreen60, looks good. I see you solved that cabane strut problem. Good idea.

I have several CF arrows given to me and that is what I used. I will use them for landing gear too. I am not going to use what Comet supplied for the outer struts but will use pop cycle stick.

rhino 01-11-2009 10:34 PM

Will popsicle sticks be long enough, Degreen? I used them on the N-11, but they just barely reached. I guess probably a splice in the middle or one each beween wings for a total of four?

I've seen a few guys build with cross ribs like that for lightness, is that how the comet plans detail the wings?

degreen60 01-11-2009 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by rhino (Post 542323)
Will popsicle sticks be long enough, Degreen? I used them on the N-11, but they just barely reached. I guess probably a splice in the middle or one each beween wings for a total of four?

I've seen a few guys build with cross ribs like that for lightness, is that how the comet plans detail the wings?

The wings on the Comet Superstars use cross ribs. It also uses four pieces to make the wing braces. They do not go through the wing but attach on the top and bottom of the wings. I thought about making a long brace but did not want to cut the wing spar. If I had thought about it I could have built the wings with a slot in the middle wing and pockets in the upper and lower wings for the brace. I think the Comet plan is poor here.

**neons** 01-12-2009 03:50 AM

7Car7, Degreen,
Stopped by to see what's a building here. As usual, great models are being constructed. Your planes are both very nice. Have some good ideas incorporated in the builds. Keep up your great works.
In the meantime I am surveying a website loaded with pictures of finished plastics and some wood construction for my next model. Not to many wood in here though. Still just to look at color schemes and unknowns is nice. The planes are so beautiful. I am sure many of you have been in this site though. Take a look at a few pics of this builder of a static planes. They are marvelous to look at. I like the Dr-1 in here:
http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Foran/index.html
After you look click on the Gallery Pages on the bottom for thousands more. I just thought this was a great diversion in between building. It helped me pick a future build. Happy New Year All
**Neons** Bob

50+AirYears 01-12-2009 02:39 PM

Now, that's a Master Model Builder!! In about 60 years in this hobby-sport, I think I've only met maybe 2 or 3 people that good.

Bub Steve 01-12-2009 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 50+AirYears (Post 542693)
Now, that's a Master Model Builder!! In about 60 years in this hobby-sport, I think I've only met maybe 2 or 3 people that good.

Great craftmanship for sure;-)!!! 50+ bub,, When did we meet? HaHaaa:Q! your bub, steve PS heres some of my classic works of art!! :ws:

degreen60 01-12-2009 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some of my work. I like to build so I made my GP ARF into a kit.

Biplane Murphy 01-12-2009 09:10 PM

Dang, Degreen.......Bummer!!

degreen60 01-12-2009 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 542865)
Dang, Degreen.......Bummer!!

Shouldn't take too long to get back into flying shape. At least none of the plane is still in the tree I hit. Now I have 3 planes to work on, the new DR1, build new top wing for DVII(part of old wing is still in tree), or rebuild SE5A. I need more flyers here to feed the hungry trees so they will leave my planes alone. HAHA

rhino 01-12-2009 10:20 PM

Well at least you didn't get your sense of humor hung up in the branches.

Sorry to hear about the wreck still the same.

7car7 01-12-2009 10:55 PM

Ouch my friend, sorry to hear of the crash. Sure feel bad for you. And I really liked your custom scheme on that one too.

I was flying my SE5a in a bit too much breeze on Saturday morning. Did get it down OK, but had some VERY close calls with disorientation. Just about lost it a couple times. I also fly in pretty small areas, and the trees are an ever looming threat.

WWI Ace 01-12-2009 11:27 PM

Degreen will bounce back!! He always does!! I flew my Polks Fokker tripe the other day for some visitors at the flying field and they loved it!! They kept saying, "It's the Snoopy plane!!!" I didn't have the heart to tell 'em Snoopy flies a Sopwith Camel!!! Steve