WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

watt_the?! 12-11-2005 04:13 AM

please post your questions about your power setup in that forum- you'll get plenty of assistance there for sure....welcome to electrics...you'll NEVER go back.

n001pa 12-11-2005 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by RCBobby (Post 27879)
I am looking forward to the excitement of electric flight. I have been in the hobby over 30 years and have stimulated my interests by switching to electrics. Many of my seasoned freinds are following. My GWS A-10 never left the ground. My GWS PT 17 flys like a bird. My GWS slowfly is over a year old with no dings and I have managed to get a Polk Folkker Triplane airborne witht the help of a Hacker A-30 Motor. I am currently building a Turmoil and planning to power it with a BM2410-12Y from Quietflyer. Will this work? Is it better than the stock motor? Enough questions. I am happy to be aboard.

Boy, when you go electric you go hole hog.:D I hope you continue to enjoy electrics.

TeslaWinger 12-11-2005 06:01 AM

ADMIN- You have a winner here! I have found answers to my questions and friendly like-minded people everywhere I look on this site, without prejudice or condescension toward my (our) chosen niche.

The only problem I have not solved is how to upload pix of my projects! The Add Image box asks for a URL to the photo. Must I make a website to post my pix and link from there? MY pix are on my hard drive!

Kindest Regards,
TW

RCBobby 12-11-2005 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by watt_the?! (Post 27884)
polk fokker triplane!?

Polk Hobbies sells the DR1 in a balsa kit with solarfilm covering, I think. It flys well but ends up over 40 oz. Made in China. ARF.

BradT 12-11-2005 07:10 AM

New member checking in here. Several of my friends from RCGroups have joined here, and sent me over for a look. Looks great so far! I learned RC flying with a Goldberg Mirage 550 electric trainer (BD present from my wife :-) ) in '97, and have never owned a glow/gas rc model. I fly everything from parkflyiers to 1/4 scale, but large warbirds are my passion.
Brad.

n001pa 12-11-2005 07:12 AM

The only problem I have not solved is how to upload pix of my projects! The Add Image box asks for a URL to the photo. Must I make a website to post my pix and link from there? MY pix are on my hard drive!
If you are talking about uploading during posts. Click on manage attachments, in the pop up you will notice the first boxes are for uploading from you computer. The only problem is that the files size restrictions don't allow for very big photos.:( You can then use something like paintshop to shrink your image until it meets the size restriction.

You can use something like photo bucket and then post your photos from there. Then you can have large file sizes.

danflyrc 12-11-2005 02:05 PM

new member as well

New member checking in as well. I've flown giant scale for many years, but have been intrigued by the wide variety of electric models. This site has been great for learning more about this area. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ialwayscrash 12-12-2005 12:36 AM

Hello to All

I discovered this site when I was referred from RCU. I am glad I did. I have picked up a lot of good info and was turned on to the Hobby Lobby foamy sales(I was looking for a cheap way to get into electrics). Keep up the good work and Thanks!!!!
Alan

watt_the?! 12-12-2005 12:51 AM

everyone is more than welcome here..the more the merrier! there are so many aspects to e flying and so much to learn and discover that its good to have it all in one place.

For those who are moving on over to electrics, the parallels are surprising and what you learn is easily applied backwards to glow and will undoubt shed light on many of those mysteries as well.

Tim.

HartsoughC 12-12-2005 08:34 AM

Hi, Just joined. I am looking for help for a stable, electric helio with 6 or 8 oz of lift for cameras. I want to use it outside to shoot building surfaces "straight on." This isn't likely to be a one weekend project ;-)

n001pa 12-12-2005 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by HartsoughC (Post 28072)
Hi, Just joined. I am looking for help for a stable, electric helio with 6 or 8 oz of lift for cameras. I want to use it outside to shoot building surfaces "straight on." This isn't likely to be a one weekend project ;-)

Try over in the Heli section I'm sure someone will be able to help. I just got done flying my Dragonfly again for the first time in almost two years. I'm going to need alot of practice but I think I can do it. T least I can keeo it in the air in a 14 by 20 room.

TeslaWinger 12-13-2005 12:30 AM

Nice place you got here, Marc! Thanks for the foresight and good taste to keep it minimally commercial and maximally focused on this wonderful wrinkle of the sport- with the flyers in mind. I like the tone and the substance.

Like so many others here I enjoy helping a beginner as much as pushing my own limits and making discoveries. Thanks.
Lew in SC

SAMMYSAM 12-13-2005 02:13 AM

New to the RC Community

Hi everybody
Just browsing around, and I'm really impressed by just about every post.
Looking forward in learnig a lot from this Website....:)

Mike Parsons 12-13-2005 02:21 AM

Glad you are all with us :).

-Mike

admin 12-13-2005 03:46 AM

Welcome aboard to wattflyer fellas. We are delighted to have each of you here.

Also thanks for the kind words and compliments above. If you ever have suggestions on how to improve things just shoot me a PM or email (or post in our suggestion forum). I get back to everyone.

marc

admin 12-13-2005 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by TeslaWinger (Post 27894)
ADMIN- You have a winner here! I have found answers to my questions and friendly like-minded people everywhere I look on this site, without prejudice or condescension toward my (our) chosen niche.

Kindest Regards,
TW

You can just click the reply on anyones post or the advanced posting button and upload your images right to our server. No need to create a website to host them. We do it for you and have plenty of disk space!

You do need to resize them to 1024 pixels or lower before uploading right now though at least until we get the (now long awaited!) auto image resize code in place. Once I get this code modification in you will be able to upload large images and we'll resize for you. In the meantime free programs like picasa.com and irfanview.com and some free windows tools can all resize images before uploading.
If you need more help on this just ask in our support forum at the bottom of the homepage.

Pushrod 12-13-2005 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by watt_the?! (Post 28013)
...there are so many aspects to e flying and so much to learn and discover that its good to have it all in one place...
Tim.

Can't argue with that statement. I've been doing the R/C thing and chasing electrons for a living for ~30 years and never had much interest in electric anything outside of work. :rolleyes:I was cruising around RCU one day and clicked the wrong forum and there it was, a swing wing F-14! :eek:Great, now I'm going to have to figure out how to get more boxes past my better half but at least they'll be smaller than the giant scales (and cheaper) I do now.
I've been hanging around RCU for over 3 years and that's because it's a great site. Yeah people get a little over zealous once in awhile but that's usually because of their passion for the hobby. Marc and the Mods do a fantastic job of keeping things under control there and It's a real class act. What little I've surfed around here it looks to be every bit as good, maybe even a little more laid back. ??Maybe it's the lack of exhaust fumes...

Tore Loodin 12-13-2005 04:09 PM

Excuse me! Some lack of time having not used Wattflyer, which indeed ia an excellent chat place! Just now I will try to export an picture to you if I am able to manage your picture system. I use Picssa. Is it possible to export the pics diredt to you in this program or will I take out the picture from this program and send it? Yes, Now I see how it works. But the program sez that the picture is still to big (640kb) How to transform it to 97?:eek:

Mike Parsons 12-13-2005 04:21 PM

Tore,
Picassa should have an export and resize option. I usually set it to 800x600 and it has good quality and keeps it under 97k.

Another excellent choice is if you are using windows, install the microsoft resizer http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe.

You simply right click on the photo in the folder and choose resize from the menu (small, medium or large). I use this for my quick photo uploads :)

thedonald 12-14-2005 01:39 AM

I just joined up. I've been flying my slowstick for several years now and just added a totally flat wing and ailerons. After getting the CG right its quite responsive.

desmobob 12-14-2005 02:12 AM

Good luck with the new site!

I followed Red S's link in from the rec.models.rc.air newsgroup.

I'm hoping to learn the electric thing....

Good flying,
desmobob

n001pa 12-14-2005 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by desmobob (Post 28519)
Good luck with the new site!

I followed Red S's link in from the rec.models.rc.air newsgroup.

I'm hoping to learn the electric thing....

Good flying,
desmobob

You have come to the right place.:)

davidsons 12-14-2005 03:46 PM

Just signed up. Hello to all!

Steve

Mike Parsons 12-14-2005 03:58 PM

Howdy Steve :)

riph 12-14-2005 05:24 PM

Just signed up today. Nice site.

Manish Borikar 12-14-2005 05:27 PM

Please help.

Hi Everybody,
I am new for electrics but not for aeromodelling.
Can anybody please mail me were we got these electronic hardware.
1) Motors: Plettenberg HP220/20 A3 SP6 (30 amperes each motor)
2) Ducted fans: Schubeler DS 51 PH
3) Controllers: Schulze future 18.46 K .gra
I am decided to prepare Airbus 600 of wing span-2.15m length-2.43m. Please mail me were we get all these hardware.:confused:
Manish Borikar,
India.
[email protected]

Mike Parsons 12-14-2005 08:19 PM

Welcome riph and Manish :)

Manish,
I had some links to that equipment that could be located across the pond. I will see if I can dig them up.

-Mike

thedonald 12-14-2005 08:39 PM

I just signed up. I've been flying my slow stick for a few years--the last 6 months with a brushless engine. I built a flat wing and found it would only turn left! Now I've added aileron's to the flat wing and am just starting to get the hang on the new beast.

n001pa 12-14-2005 09:01 PM

Quite a few signing up today.:) Welcome everybody.

thedonald

What motor are you running on you SS?

thedonald 12-14-2005 09:58 PM

brushless motor on my slowstick

My slowstick has a HiMaxx HC 2812-0850 brushless motor with a Phoenix 25 esc and three cell lithium 1320 battery. Its a total kick, climbs straight up and flys for over 30 minutes.

qban_flyer 12-15-2005 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by thedonald (Post 28875)
I just signed up. I've been flying my slow stick for a few years--the last 6 months with a brushless engine. I built a flat wing and found it would only turn left! Now I've added aileron's to the flat wing and am just starting to get the hang on the new beast.

Welcome aboard!!! :)

Having fun with your B/L powered Slow Stick yet? :D

There are many threads here on that particular subject as well as many other modifications to it. You've definitely come to right place for electric flight and Slow Sticks in particular. I am partial to them as mine has over 500 flights under its original wing! :)

An incredible model, one that lends itself to many modifications, and one that will take all the abuse we can dish out and still come back for more. :D

jerryb 12-15-2005 04:33 AM

great site......i'm in!

zappedalaskan 12-15-2005 05:05 AM

Welcome to Wattflyer

Hi Jerry,
Welcome to Wattflyer We are glad to have you and all the new members here. Please take care and enjoy your visit!
Regards,
Jay

ablaker2 12-15-2005 04:48 PM

New to Electric

Hi Folks,
Blake Walston here.
Although I have been in to model aircraft since 1948, I am new to electric, so I need all the help I can get. I can help with building techniques or short cuts . I have learned a lot in my years and don't mind sharing what limited knowledge I have.

I am happy to become a member of this Distinguished group of folks

Thanks for letting me in the door.

Blake Walston
http://www.walston-engin-new-ity.net

Remember arrogance and ignorance at low altitudes is bound to produce spectacular results.!!!

qban_flyer 12-15-2005 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ablaker2 (Post 29087)
Hi Folks,
Blake Walston here.
Although I have been in to model aircraft since 1948, I am new to electric, so I need all the help I can get. I can help with building techniques or short cuts . I have learned a lot in my years and don't mind sharing what limited knowledge I have.

I am happy to become a member of this Distinguished group of folks

Thanks for letting me in the door.

Blake Walston
http://www.walston-engin-new-ity.net

Remember arrogance and ignorance at low altitudes is bound to produce spectacular results.!!!

Hi Blake,

Welcome aboard.

Been at it since '51 myself and still learning! I guess one never ends in this aeromodeling learning curve. :D

Glad to have your expertise here. We are doubly glad to be able pick your brain for advice once in a while too. :)

PS: Love that quote at the end of your message. Ain't that the truth? You may wish to use it in your sig! ;)

BingoFlyer 12-15-2005 11:23 PM

New to electric. Have not given up on my glow but have a field that allows electric only right in the comunity that I live in so will be building an electric.

I'm thinking about SR Battery's ACRO PRO but think I will want to use Li-Po battery pack for longer flight times and less weight.

unionflyer 12-16-2005 01:30 AM

Hello

Hi All,
I've been a part of this site from the beginning and just havent posted anything so tonight im going change that. "HELLO ALL" there i feel much better :D This is a great site and I hope as I learn e-flight more I can help others as much as the people here have helped me!!! Keep the great info coming because it has helped a ton! Till my next post,
Take care all
Randy

Don Sims 12-16-2005 01:50 AM

Welcome Randy! Thanks for coming out of the shadows!!

Highlander 12-16-2005 06:39 AM

Hi, Guys!!!

What a great site! I'm completely electric after getting back in the hobby 3 years ago. Man have things changed in that short time!!! I'm looking forward to all the great advances in e-flight in the future. What a hobby and what great fun!!!

Glad to be here!:)

DLSmith2 12-17-2005 07:57 PM

Greetings from sunny Deep East Texas!

Howdy!

Great idea Marc! I discovered this site while in the glow forum, and have learned a bunch today! You are demystifying the realm of electrics so even I can understand it... well, almost;)

While I was at the LHS last night trying to decipher what to get for my newest Graupner foamie, the owner said I would have to surf the net to get info on electrics, since it is so new and booming. I think I found that source of info here!

Blue skies,

DL