WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

Dan Brannan 04-12-2006 05:08 AM

hello and thanks

i'm new here, and would like to introduce myself. i started in 1992 with goldbergs sophisticated lady glider and handlaunches from a hill, highstarts, then powerpod with cox .049. went from there to many years of gas powered planes. i never really had as much fun with the gas as those days of the goldberg glider though for some reason.

i was attracted to this board because i thought one of you folks may have a caleb f5b and help me locate the cg on mine. right now i fly a omega 2me w/o flaps. i recently went to lippo's and the plane seems like it has lost its pennetration.... its kinda sensitive now, but have only flown once since the new batterys.

i have flown many planes many times, but am by no means a good pilot. i just try to do whatever it takes to bring the model back home in one piece. this year i would like to fly the caleb with some kind of authority and confidence, but i cant even figure out what size prop to use with my settup so i have alot to learn about electrics.

thanks for the great site, i will be lurking around reading alot. dan

stanordave 04-12-2006 07:48 PM

Hey all, Thanks for letting me join. I started about '63 and been flying off and on ever since. Just gave away all my old (and not so old) stuff, gone full electric, and never been happier! (Except for trashing several batteries when learning about the care and feeding of Lipo's the last few months).

Flying a staudacher w/a nippy 2510, and converted a .40 Uproar to a TP3510-7. Both fly quite well - in spite of me. Well, UPS is here w/some balsa so I'm going to get busy now...

cheers,
Mike

Old Toad 04-13-2006 11:45 PM

Hello Everone!

Hello to everyone on Wattflyer. I know none of you know me but I feel as though I know you because I have been reading a guest for sometime now. I started building and flying RC about 40 years ago (yes I am old) Glow 40 size. When I got married in 1978 my wife encouraged me to get my private pilot license. Got so involved in it I quit flying RC. When we started having kids I had to quit because all time and money went to them. Then one day about 3 years ago she came home with a Great Planes yard stick. Well that did it! I now have 11 planes ready to fly anytime the fickle weather around here will let me.
I have learned alot from you guys, saved me alot of time and money. I hope you will let me join in.

firemanbill 04-13-2006 11:56 PM

Welcome Guys! If you learn half as much around here as I have you'll be three times smarter than me...:rolleyes:

This is a great place to hang around. have fun!

Don Sims 04-14-2006 03:34 AM

Welcome Dan, Mike, and Ed! It's great to see some other old fogies here!!

Sky Sharkster 04-14-2006 04:16 AM

New Guys, Hello!

To Dan, Mike + Ed, Welcome to Wattflyer! Hope you enjoy it here. Any questions, concerns, just find the appropriate Forum and post'em. Or, try General Electric Discussions.
To Dan, I don't have a Caleb but I've seen a couple fly and they are a very good glider. As far as C.G. my guess is start at 30% of the mean chord and see how it performs; If it won't penetrate upwind with a click or two of "down", move the C.G. forward a little at a time. Since you've flown thermal duration gliders you will have some experience and know what to look for in terms of stall recovery, glide angle, elevator trim, etc. Trust your judgement! Where's the C.G. on the Omega? I'll bet the Caleb C.G. is within a % point or two of being the same.
If you list your power system (motor, battery, gearing, etc) I'll take a shot at helping with a prop. We can also run it through "MotoCalc"
Good Luck!
Ron

smaug 04-15-2006 08:30 AM

Hello new to your forum, looks cool. New to RC but I have programed some pics to control servos and have a background in electronics.

Mick1of10 04-15-2006 04:01 PM

New Guy

I'm new to electric flight and helicopters. I have recently retired and my wife is tired of looking at me - I guess - anyway, she allowed me to purchase an E-Flite Blade CP. Now I have the thing, I'm not sure how to proceed. No one around here seems to fly these things (there is only one hobby shop in the area that handles RC stuff). I do have a "good" transmitter - JR 6102 and a JR 9303 (set uo for helicopters), but I don't know if these radios can be used on the Blade, and I don't know where to go here on the internet, that will help me learn to fly without spending several thousand dollars on repair costs. I would like to find a site that will help me setup the helicopter using a good radio and any upgrade parts - if there are any..

Can anyone direct me to a place that deals with upgrading the Blade CP and starting the learning process? I have flown fixed wing model aircraft, so I'm not totally without experience - someone told me that prior airplane flight is actually a hinderance when learning a helicopter!!!

I would appreciate any help that I might receive.

I am a disabled veteran, just lost my left leg over 35 years after fighting to keep it after Vietnam, but I am somewhat mobile (I'm learning to walk again) so I can follow the aircrafy around.

Thanks,
Mike

Sky Sharkster 04-15-2006 04:20 PM

New To Wattflyer

Hi, Mike and Smaug, Welcome to Wattflyer! Mike, sounds like you have some pretty good eqiupment. You might want to post the questions about the "Blade CP" on the Heli Forum, I'm sure someone there can help. Thanks for joining, guys, and enjoy your electric flying!
Ron

jhouvener 04-15-2006 10:23 PM

watts in for electric flight

In my previous thread I gave a table for watts in for various types of electric air craft.

A member wrote in reminding me that watts in as measured between the power battery and the controller might not be enough if using one of the cheaper ferrite motors. He is correct in this case as the ferrite motors only run 45-60 % eff. The real story is what you need prop watts out for lb. of airplane. There is a chart of prop watts in Astro Bob's book on electrics. This shows the prop size at what RPM =prop watts.

Now I have charts and formulas, mostly from Ken Myers of the EFO and ampeer news letter. It is too lenghty to give you all these formulas such as desired and max wing loadings, weights, prop size, etc. However I will give you one formula to convert prop watts out to watts in according to the effiency of your motor.

1. High performence aerobatic planes- you want 55 watts per lb. out
2. Trainer and light models------------" " 45 " " "
3. Sailplanes, old timers --------------" " 35 " " "
4. Biplanes---------------------------" " 50 " " "

So, how do you know how many watts do you want in, as read by your
watt meter. Divide the watts out needed by the eff % of whichever motor you have. In this case- ferrite motors-55 %. Cobalt motors, such as the Astros-75 %, brushless motors-85 %. These are ballpark figures, I have seen brushless motor setups as high as 94 percent, cobalt motors as high as 85 percent, mayby ferrite to 60 percent.

Lets give an example. You have a full aerobatic model which will come in a 4 lbs. watts out needed is 4 times 55=220 watts out. You are going to try to use a cheap ferrite motor at only 55 percent eff. 220 divide by .55
is 400 watts in needed. ( a bunch ) so much for lousy eff.

A good cobalt- 220 divide by .75 ==293.33 watts in.-big diff. hey what.

A good brushless-220 divide by .85= 258.8. The less watts in the longer your flight time.

I consider the above to be minimum for good flight performance.

Now, the outrunner motors, though very popular, do not have quite the effiency of the better inrunner motors. Mayby figure .80 percent.

jhouvener

Boh6368 04-16-2006 02:33 PM

Hello

I just want to say hi to everyone and i look forward to chtting about electric rc here with you guys and gails..

Don Sims 04-16-2006 02:48 PM

Hey smaug, boah, and mick! Appreciate you joining!

AEAJR 04-17-2006 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Brannan (Post 61122)
i'm new here, and would like to introduce myself. i started in 1992 with goldbergs sophisticated lady glider and handlaunches from a hill, highstarts, then powerpod with cox .049. went from there to many years of gas powered planes. i never really had as much fun with the gas as those days of the goldberg glider though for some reason.

i was attracted to this board because i thought one of you folks may have a caleb f5b and help me locate the cg on mine. right now i fly a omega 2me w/o flaps. i recently went to lippo's and the plane seems like it has lost its pennetration.... its kinda sensitive now, but have only flown once since the new batterys.

i have flown many planes many times, but am by no means a good pilot. i just try to do whatever it takes to bring the model back home in one piece. this year i would like to fly the caleb with some kind of authority and confidence, but i cant even figure out what size prop to use with my settup so i have alot to learn about electrics.

thanks for the great site, i will be lurking around reading alot. dan

Welcome to Wattflyer!

Always good to meet another glider guider.

I don't fly electric gliders. I fly pure gliders, and I fly small electrics/parkflyers.

If you switched to Lithiums and did not have to replace the weight with ballast, that is probably why you feel you lost penetration. Your plane is retaining less energy now so ti does not have the same penetration.

In any case, there is a section on electric sailplanes. Perhaps someone there can help you.

AEAJR 04-17-2006 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wingnut (Post 58281)
After many years of not flying, I recently decided to get back into it. I decided to go electric this time. I purchased a Parkzone Typhoon which comes with a brushless motor and NIMH battery. I am interested in going into the LIPO battery and chargers. I have looked at the FMA Direct Handbook and found it to be quite complicated and more technical than I was interested in. I am interested in hearing from the users as to what brands of batteries and chargers people like. I would also like feedback on things/features that I should look for or avoid in each. Thanks....

Welcome!

Wander over to the forum on 3D flying. There will probably be many Typhoon flyers there.

Also hit the forum on batteries/chargers for more focused comments on these.

I think you will find people are friendly and helpful. But just like any group, some know more than others and most will respond based on their experience so you have to sample input from many people to get the answers that work for you.

aeroncachamp 04-18-2006 08:59 PM

new member intro

Hi,

I'm new to this group. A friend has re-sparked my interest in flight and electric RC in particular.

I grew up around "real" planes, and am a pilot (single engine simple) though I'm inactive for now. Built and flew many nitro/control line planes as a youngster. Briefly dabbled in RC (I got one of those COX RC starters) then the kids came along and other priorities took over.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find out how much this hobby has matured, and that elecrtic RC is reality! I never really liked the ear-splitting noise and the gooey sloppy mess that the nitro powered planes become after a few flights.

I've got a HobbyShack Cessna 150 molded foam kit that I'd bought years ago, that I'd like to convert to electric and am hoping to find information and advice from this group.

AeroncaChamp

Geo420 04-18-2006 10:21 PM

yo dudes and dudettes!
Whats up?
I'll be needing help from you guys so get ready for some questions.
Have a good one!
Geo.

firemanbill 04-18-2006 10:31 PM

Hey Geo, and AeroncaChamp fire away with your questions!!! Welcome to WattFlyer:)

Geo420 04-18-2006 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by firemanbill (Post 63357)
Hey Geo, and AeroncaChamp fire away with your questions!!! Welcome to WattFlyer:)

Ok thanks Fireman! How so you tighten the nut on a wemotech minifan on a brushless motor?
I cant stop it spinning the motor... or do you just leav it?
Geo.:confused:

firemanbill 04-19-2006 12:19 AM

Well one of the many things I am clueless on... sorry I cant help ya there but I'm sure someone will pipe in.

Rugar 04-19-2006 12:33 AM

Welcome to WattFlyer aeroncachamp and Geo420!

Geo420, asked your question in the EDF forum and Im sure it can be answered there. Just click on the link. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Geo420 04-19-2006 10:47 PM

thanks guys, I'm on it now. :)
:D
Geo.

*Sparky* 04-22-2006 08:50 AM

Hey all.

I've seen this group for a while and finally joined.
I got back into the hobby again after a 20 year break. Boy have things changed. Nitro engines scared the :eek: out of me. Electrics have so far. I got back into it with a Slow Stick and am about to build my first Stryker. I also have a Blade CP. Have not flown it outside yet (fear factor :rolleyes: ) but am able to keep the tail straight when winding up and down.

I am looking for ward to reading your posts.

Thanks to the admins for making this group available.

Don Sims 04-22-2006 12:08 PM

Hey folks! Sparky welcome back to the hobby!

AEAJR 04-22-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by *Sparky* (Post 65015)
Hey all.

I've seen this group for a while and finally joined.
I got back into the hobby again after a 20 year break. Boy have things changed. Nitro engines scared the :eek: out of me. Electrics have so far. I got back into it with a Slow Stick and am about to build my first Stryker. I also have a Blade CP. Have not flown it outside yet (fear factor :rolleyes: ) but am able to keep the tail straight when winding up and down.

I am looking for ward to reading your posts.

Thanks to the admins for making this group available.

Welcome to electron based flying. We are very happy to have you with us.

You speak of the fear factor. May you never completely lose that fear factor. It is your brain telling your body that you aren't ready. That can be a good thing, but don't let it paralyze you.

Take small steps, there is no need to run, unless you are trying to jog with your slow stick flying next to you.

Is that a ParkZone Stryker? Not a lot of build but a bundle of fun. You are going to love that plane!

Welcome!

*Sparky* 04-23-2006 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by AEAJR (Post 65034)
Welcome to electron based flying. We are very happy to have you with us.

You speak of the fear factor. May you never completely lose that fear factor. It is your brain telling your body that you aren't ready. That can be a good thing, but don't let it paralyze you.

Take small steps, there is no need to run, unless you are trying to jog with your slow stick flying next to you.

Is that a ParkZone Stryker? Not a lot of build but a bundle of fun. You are going to love that plane!

Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The hobby is coming back to me quickly and a background in Aviation and Aeronautics helps too. But you are right the fear factor keeps me from doing things I probably should not.

If anyone is looking for a good starter plane I strongly suggest the Slow Stick. It flys right out of the box and has potential for mods, some of which are probably posted on this site.

I am really looking forward to flying the PZ Stryker. It looks like a complete blast. I am going to start off stock (to save $ :rolleyes: ) and later when I get used to its style and feel the need for more speed it is going to get a lipo and a brushless.

Can you suggest some good threads for the Stryker and the Slow Stick?

Again many thanks for the warm welcome.

NumbSkull 04-24-2006 07:14 PM

Howdy all...

firemanbill 04-24-2006 07:21 PM

Howdy Numbskull...

Just out of curiosity how'd you come up with that name:eek: or do I not want to know???

Anyway welcome to WF

NumbSkull 04-24-2006 07:34 PM

NumbSkull, eehh...???

Woop Woop....

Come on... Haven't ya seen the 3 stooges?? I hope I'm not showing my age, cause I'm not really that old... :D:D:D

firemanbill 04-24-2006 08:03 PM

gotcha!:D I love the Stooges. got a whole collection of 'em on DVD. Grew up with the stooges

So what are you flying?

NumbSkull 04-24-2006 08:46 PM

Stooges Rock!!

I've got a handfull of birds, but I've been sticking to a few.

Katana Mini - #1 flyer right now
Hyperion Cap 232 - In for repairs
Hyperion YAK - Waiting for powersystem
Mini Funtana
Ultrafly Ultimate
Herr Little Extra - E-powered
Cleaverboy
Homebrew FFF Ugly Stick
Original Ugly Stick (still wet powered, but I don't think for long :D)
Slow Stick
2 areo aces
and a handfull of other homebrew FFF flyers.

And you??

firemanbill 04-24-2006 08:52 PM

I have a Mini Funtana. Ready to go this weekend. With a Himax 2015-4166. Have had to hold off for a while... getting somewhat back to normal now:D

Mostly GWS stuff but am branching out now. Brushless Slowstick, Beaver, Mustang, and son has a Pico Cub. Have been thinking of the Ultimate Bipe, have a b-day coming up:D Also have an E-flite Cessna, wouldn't recommend it...

crxmanpat 04-24-2006 09:46 PM

Bill,

I noticed your comment about the Cessna. Are you having problems with it? It has actually turned out to be the most acrobatic member of my squadron right now (it even out-performs my P-51)! I've been throwing that thing all over the sky the last few weeks (twisting the battery wires has eliminated my glitching problems BTW) doing all the standard manuevers. With the 400XT outrunner in it, this thing really cooks.

firemanbill 04-24-2006 09:53 PM

Yeah I am Pat,

Maybe I got it overpowered with that Park 400 in it. I think I'm going to put a 400 xt in it and see if it makes a diff. It is just real squirelly. you know, tight in, lose off... that sort of thing. Those dang wing struts won't stay on mine, keep popping off in flight. Maybe I can screw em in place. And lastly I could never get the main wing to line up right. one side higher than the other, had to trim on of the struts to even things out. and the wheel pants are a pain as well...

I don't know, If i keep fighting with it long enough I'll get it right...

Of course last saturdays venture into the woods with it didn't help much either...:o

crxmanpat 04-24-2006 11:26 PM

LOL. I'll try to take some pics tonight of the "battle scars" on mine. This thing has had the wing broken in half (two separate pieces), the entire tail assembly ripped off, cowling is cracked in several places with pieces missing, nose wheel pant is gone, pants on mains are all busted up, packing tape everywhere, you get the idea. Still flies like a champ though, and looks very scale on slow flybys. Flares nice on landings too.

firemanbill 04-25-2006 03:05 AM

Hah! I can take my cowl off without removing the prop! I broke the tail on mine as well, still have the main wheel pants in tact. The whole gear came out on that little forray into the woods last weekend. have lost the windshied twice in flight, (it will not come off again:eek: , made sure of that)

I can say I haven't ripped my wing in half yet though... probably shouldn't have said that though as it will happen this weekend now:(

crxmanpat 04-25-2006 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by firemanbill (Post 65648)
I can say I haven't ripped my wing in half yet though... probably shouldn't have said that htougha s it will happen this weekend now:(

Going in nose first from 30' onto hard packed dirt will take care of that in a jiffy. Don't ask me how I know ;)

Sorry, club business kept me from taking any pics tonight. Maybe later this week, or perhaps tomorrow before work when I'm flying. :D

flyin-w 04-25-2006 05:54 AM

Wanted: Weather/Rain Shield for MPX Spacebox TX Tray

Nice site and hello to all,
I'm putting a Cap 232 together with an e-motor and looking forward to flying an electric aircraft for the first time soon.

Also:

I'm looking to buy one or two MPX weather/rain shields if the price is less or better than below.

I have the MPX Spacebox TX Tray,

I would like to buy two (2) weather/rain shields (one as a back-up). No distributors carry this shield in the USA.
In the UK, Modelspot UK has them for about $100.00 USD each with shipping. I would like to find someone, in or out of the US, that would be willing to sell me theirs (in good condition) or to buy and send me the shield(s) if they were less expensive, I will pay a US Money Order or Certified Check in advance, preferably COD.

Can you or do you know someone that could help me ?

Please send your information only to: < [email protected] >

Thanks in advance and happy flying

Sincerely,

Jim Wilkins

miljnor 04-27-2006 12:40 AM

Hi!

Boy technology has sure been great to this field I haven't flown in 25 years, and I am just amazed at how cheap and how far everything has come since I flew 2 channel gliders when I was a kid.

Can't wait to get my wings back under me!

AEAJR 04-27-2006 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by miljnor (Post 66213)
Hi!

Boy technology has sure been great to this field I haven't flown in 25 years, and I am just amazed at how cheap and how far everything has come since I flew 2 channel gliders when I was a kid.

Can't wait to get my wings back under me!

Welcome to the party. I hope you will spend a lot of time with us, and even more flying.

BTW, I love flying 2 and 3 channel gliders. They are great!

Gentle Lady?
Spirit?

Remember these?

miljnor 04-27-2006 04:45 AM

Gentle Lady?
Spirit?
Are these part of your signature, or are they directed at me?

If your asking, Male thru and thru, and I hope to be a spirt someday! and Gentle??? Almost Never ;)

Easy going? yep