WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

ESCapist 03-23-2007 01:13 PM

Another Thread of Useful Resourses

I am an E Power new comer. This is a link I have always found helpful for every other type of modelling.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong/

I have been building flying models since I was six. I started then anyway. By age 11 I had them flying with little help other than hand me down model mags which I learned to read with I was so keen. Building , glow and gas are second nature. I've done it so long I can't imagine how much there is to know. 40+ years

Electric power has been a humbling experience for me. Not the lighter building so much but the concept of configuring power systems with what I see as no clear equivalents to the combustion sources I am replacing with electrics. Once I have learned it all the hard way and have the fundamentals figured out, as I have no personal mentors, I will likely defer to Moto-Calc for help.

Partial to Hobby Lobby products I find E-Flite to have a well thought out and understandable product lineup.

While I cannot see ever trying to replace my 3WB2 stuff with electrics look out 1/2A. Actually I love my 1/2A but micro indoor electics is the new frontier for for me. A 14" RC electric scale Waco or Stearman. How cool is that?

I resisted E Power for a long time. The products and prices are at a point where there is longer any reason to think as an avid flying modler that I have no need for electrics.

Rabbitcreekok 03-23-2007 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hemphogg (Post 169487)
So my first question is: Is there a good website or Book on building wood planes?.. I am interested in building my first plane but I'm not really sure where to start.. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks Very Much Jamie (Hemphogg)

Jamie,

I would suggest that you decide what size plane you wish to build and then purchase a kit that appeals to you. Building from scratch is difficult for a first time builder. The kits that are generally available are usually laser cut kits that are designed to go together correctly so you don't build warped wings and fuselages that resemble bananas.

Stevens Aero has some really nice kits

http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/home.php?cat=248

as does SR batteries

http://www.srbatteries.com/kits.htm

Be sure to purchase a kit that is at your level of flying ability. If you are just learning to fly, get a trainer or something very stable and slow.

Don Sims 03-23-2007 04:25 PM

Welcome ESC! Glad you're converting to the dark side!

Rabbitcreekok 03-23-2007 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 170714)

Pssssst, Hey, over here, here I am, in this dark corner. Anybody want to buy a gallon of unopened glow fuel. It's good stuff. You'll like it. It will get you high, if you like slime.

Dynamite27 03-23-2007 05:54 PM

Hi Guy's new to forum I will be building my first scratch built plane soon and I am looking forward to it and I am making a Post in the jets EDF section of the forum and I have built a 49" boat and a Flair AT6 Texan from Kits,but never got round to completing them due to a back problem I have had for the last 7yrs but I hope to finish them of soon and I have had this plan of a He 162 A2 Salamander for abit now and always wanted to build it.

And now I have a A4 printer I have been able to print it off to 1/7th scale but in sections and have taped each section together to get the complete fuselage and wing section and other parts of the plane.

So I will be asking more question when I start building it but hopefully mostly for advice and not with problems I hope.

Steven

ESCapist 03-23-2007 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 170714)

Thanks Don,

Right neibourly of you. There's a good bunch of guys here. Glad I joined.

Cheers, Bill

Don Sims 03-23-2007 10:53 PM

LOL Bill and Jim! Jim that slimer stuff is poisonous and soils the hands, KEEP AWAY from the stuff!! :eek:

Bill, I'm a certified lectricfanatic. No slime for me! ;)

Welcome Steven, get on with those builds! There's a few folks from across the pond who hang out hereabouts!

ElectricFlyGuy 03-23-2007 11:50 PM

Endless information!!!!

Ron:
Thanks for all that information! I will enjoy and spend hours on end reading that flight information. I didn't realize how much I DIDN'T know about the ALL the different technics needed to make an aircraft fly better. This is worth a gold mine to me. I can't thank you enough for this great knowledge I will now gain to make a better plane. The better you make your plane, the easier and more enjoyable it will be to fly! Time for me to get ta readin'. Sincere Thanks! Scott.;)

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster (Post 170624)
Hello Jamie, Welcome to Wattflyer!
There are several books and videos on different aspects of model building. A good online "primer" for the basics of setting up a building area and general introduction with lots of click-on details is here;
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...urce/index.htm
For books and videos, go here; http://www.hrunway.com/ (Mostly Free Flight but great info) And here; http://www.peck-polymers.com/html/books/miscbooks.htm.
Also, on the "Builders Links" there's some "Videos + DVDs" that are helpful; http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14117
Hope this helps!
Ron

Sky Sharkster 03-24-2007 02:03 AM

Info Overload?

Hello Scott, glad you found the links useful...I like to have a lot of resources available and whenever I find a good one I add it to the "Builders Links". Now I've created a monster!
Hope it helps, keep'em flying!
Ron

DavidWent 03-24-2007 06:16 PM

Hi People

I'm new to this forum. It looks great! I'm working on my first build...Tyro 100.

David

firemanbill 03-24-2007 06:36 PM

Hey David! Welcome to WF!:D Glad to have you aboard. A great bunch around here... pull up a chair and sit a spell!:)

Don Sims 03-25-2007 01:13 AM

Yo David! Glad you're posting!

mongoose 03-26-2007 06:06 AM

Gday to you all ,im just new here and reading and learning lots from this site keep up the good work and keep it in the sky .

Rabbitcreekok 03-26-2007 03:16 PM

Hello mongoose and welcome to WattFler. Be sure and let us know what is happening down under.

pablo27 03-27-2007 01:59 AM

Hi there,

I have just joined the forum and am totally new to RC flying. I have always wanted to try and have just bought a Wing Dragon Sporter 4ch. I haven't found the courage to fly her yet though as I am trying to learn as much as I can before hand.
I shall be reading up as much as I can here over the next few days and then I will be hoping on some decent weather later in the week, with little or no wind hopefully!

I used to watch my father fly RC's when I was a boy and I guess this is why I have always held an interest in flying. I am off to soak up some more info now, happy flying !

Paul.

Don Sims 03-27-2007 02:00 AM

Hey goose! Welcome to WF!

firemanbill 03-27-2007 02:14 AM

Hey Pual welcome to Wattflyer... I remember that excitement of just starting out like it was yesterday... Compared to some of the folks around here it was yesterday...:rolleyes:

Anyway, Welcome! Take a deep breath and go for it! Don't forget to breathe on your first flight. You'll know what I'm talking about after you do it.;)

Best of luck to ya!:D

bigleague 03-27-2007 02:21 AM

Hi mongoose,
And to everyone. Mongoose you are in Wollongong I'm in Liechhardt where do you fly? I am into building but not so good at flying. Desgining foam electric planes of all sorts.

Bigleague

worldraft 03-27-2007 03:27 AM

New from Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada

Hi out there Well, as new realise I'm new to this forum :) and to the hobby. Last year I purchase an 84" wing fly Baby to learn how to fly. This year I will take off and land this airplane and keep practicing on it.
I just about finished building my shop and I'm working on making the plans for a P40 E. The reason it's taking time for the drawing is that i'm doing it from the real 1939 - 40 plans and I don't have them all yet. I got some from the smithsonian but that was not enought because I don't want to pay the $1500.00 they want for the complete set:( , as they are on microfilm. Anyway that about me so I'll be talking with you guys more as time goes by.
CFN (Chow For Now)
Jean Forgues

Bub Steve 03-27-2007 03:40 AM

84" wing fly Baby

1 Attachment(s)
thats a BIG plane! drawn up in the 60's I believe, 14-15lbs, Cool, your bub, stevecooper

worldraft 03-27-2007 03:52 AM

It flys teriffic

Airhead 03-27-2007 03:52 AM

Gday to ya'll,
Mongoose, Bigleague and Worldraft, Welcome to Wattflyer:) Lot of stuff to share and learn here..

pablo27 03-27-2007 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by firemanbill (Post 172161)
Hey Pual welcome to Wattflyer... I remember that excitement of just starting out like it was yesterday... Compared to some of the folks around here it was yesterday...:rolleyes:

Anyway, Welcome! Take a deep breath and go for it! Don't forget to breathe on your first flight. You'll know what I'm talking about after you do it.;)

Best of luck to ya!:D

Thanks for the encouragment, I am going to start off gently by just trying a few low launch flights, hopefully in a straightish line! Once I become used to that and landing, I will fly higher and introduce some turns. Breathing isn't an option!

ElectricFlyGuy 03-28-2007 01:33 AM

Hi Jean:

Hi Jean F.:::

Welcome to 'the forum of friends', very nice plane you have there. Hope you gain all the knowledge you need here in Wattflyers. I have found an endless and valuable supply of brain building info here.:D Keep in touch and let us know how your next fly day goes.;) Good luck to you my friend, Scott.

Originally Posted by worldraft (Post 172203)
Hi out there Well, as new realise I'm new to this forum :) and to the hobby. Last year I purchase an 84" wing fly Baby to learn how to fly. This year I will take off and land this airplane and keep practicing on it.
I just about finished building my shop and I'm working on making the plans for a P40 E. The reason it's taking time for the drawing is that i'm doing it from the real 1939 - 40 plans and I don't have them all yet. I got some from the smithsonian but that was not enought because I don't want to pay the $1500.00 they want for the complete set:( , as they are on microfilm. Anyway that about me so I'll be talking with you guys more as time goes by.
CFN (Chow For Now)
Jean Forgues

Airhead 03-29-2007 08:43 AM

Greetings Baldeagle and Smokefan,
Welcome to Wattflyer..:)
We're glad your joining us....;)