WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

Doppelganger 05-24-2006 07:46 AM

I used to model N Scale a few years ago. I really got into it for a while. Actually It helped me to quit smoking. I figured If I stopped smoking, I could buy more Tractors.:) I wish I'd started with HO instead.:(

Steve

mellow2990 05-24-2006 04:56 PM

The one nice thing about N-scale is that it wont take up as much space you can put a whole layout on a card table. So what sort of planes do you have?

Steve

jhouvener 05-24-2006 05:45 PM

To Mellow-(Steve)

I too am a old f***, 80 this coming august. Built my first model in 1936, a solid balsa gee-bee. My little sister threw it out the upstairs window to see if it would fly. I have been an rc instructor for many years as well as a
CD for 20 yrs. or so.

I would suggest that you do not jump into flying the Spitfire right after your basic trainer, get a real hot shot local pilot to fly it first. Move up to an advanced trainer for your next step. Sig kits and or arf's are a good bet.
If you care to build, The sig LT-25 is one of the best for electric. Just set the servos back to make room for the battery tray and enlarge the hatch.
I have 201 flights on mine now. It has been my test bed with four different motors and all kinds of batteries. Have had my grandkids flying it.
Right now I have the old Astro 25 geared brushed motor in it, have flown it with 14-15 cell 2400 ma nicads. Now have a 4s1p 3700 polyquest lipo in it. Weight is 75 oz. with this setup, Will do all the usual aerobatics, of course no hovering. Get 10-12 min. flights easy, 12x6-8 apc electric prop, have a Medusa 50 amp controller for brushed motor, probaly a 40 amp would be o.k.

My daughter used to live in Missoula, Mt. when I visited, I flew with the big sky thunderbirds there. She now lives in McMinville, Ore. Have'nt been there yet, but they have a model field there. I figure the four NW states are Gods country--lucky. I don't care for the southern states.

Let me know how you make [email protected]

rawy 05-24-2006 06:58 PM

Hi !

Hello, got here following a link:) , nice to find a new site dedicated to electric, have a few scratch or plan built foamies mostly semiscale, sometimes find the time to go ahead on the ton of projects I got on the go:D
back to sanding again...:rolleyes:
rawy

firemanbill 05-24-2006 07:13 PM

Hey Rawy! Welcome to WF!:D

Doppelganger 05-24-2006 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by mellow2990 (Post 73581)
The one nice thing about N-scale is that it wont take up as much space you can put a whole layout on a card table. So what sort of planes do you have?

Steve

I have a .25 and a .45 size P-51, a Great Planes Combat Corsair, a Scorpio F6F Hellcat, Great Planes Super Sportser, Modified GWS E-Starter, A 3 Channel Nora that I'm tring to trade, and a few others. I love the warbirds. Believe it or not though, my favorite plane (to fly) is the
E-Starter. It is such a fun plane!

Steve

mellow2990 05-25-2006 02:35 AM

You have quite a little air force there. My friend in Hawaii want's a P51 bad. My favorite is the Spitfire. Not sure I have ever seen a Nora or an E starter. I want to go out and fly my trainer but every day this week has been windy or rain. That's the down side of liveing in Washington the weather won't get dependable until the middle of Augest

Steve

Doppelganger 05-25-2006 03:38 AM

I used to live in Hawaii. I just moved 3 months ago. Where does your friend fly? Whats his/her name?

Steve

mellow2990 05-25-2006 04:53 AM

He lives in Kallua Kona. Not sure just where he goes flying he siad it's an abandoned airfield. His name is Robbie Macgregor.

Steve

teleman55 05-25-2006 07:48 AM

Great Site

I am new to RC and like the idea of electrics.I will leave the nitro for my CL planes.-Kevin

Doppelganger 05-25-2006 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by mellow2990 (Post 73770)
He lives in Kallua Kona. Not sure just where he goes flying he siad it's an abandoned airfield. His name is Robbie Macgregor.

Steve

Ah, okay. I lived on Oahu.
Hello Kevin, welcome to Wattflyer! What are you flying, or intend to fly soon?

Steve

teleman55 05-26-2006 04:38 AM

First RC

Hi,Thanks for the welcome.I am rebuilding a Goldberg Mirage 550 that was given to my son about 10 years ago.The wing is in 2 pieces,the vertical and horizontal stabilizers are no longer attached to the fuselage but they are intact.Cowl gone.Other than that she is a beauty.The Tx,charger and batteries disappeared in the last "Great Cellar Cleanup" so at a recent local club swap meet I picked up a Futaba 7CAP Tx and an Electron 6 reciever.Both 1 year old.I gained a lot of experience rebuilding last year when I got started with CL flying,I am a Master carpenter and also repair acoustic stringed instruments.I love model building.This week I am joining the AMA,and soon my local club.I was brought in to flying with a good friend and we are having a ball.

AEAJR 05-26-2006 10:29 AM

Welcome teleman55. You will like it here!

WeasFX 05-30-2006 03:46 AM

Hello

I am new to this site, but I love it already! I have been building
E-"Foamies", for a couple years, now. Am currently having problems with GWS ESC's & RX's. Anybody Else have problems ?
:confused: Talk Soon & Thanks !

dinsour 05-30-2006 06:41 AM

Hi Gang:
Been watching this forum for a couple of weeks. found it through a link.
My modeling started waaaay back just before WW2. stick and tissue then during the war Wheaties put out those paper things. enjoyed everything from gliders to rubber power on up to the juicers.
I have been interested in electric planes because there is almost nowhere to fly the gas planes. (noise ordances)
I haven't settled on a plane yet, but have some ideas. mostly park or micro birds.
I have 3 control units but no plane yet
Well enough for a now. I get long winded sometimes.
(My other hobby Writing )
73 Ron

AEAJR 05-30-2006 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by dinsour (Post 75156)
Hi Gang:

I haven't settled on a plane yet, but have some ideas. mostly park or micro birds.
I have 3 control units but no plane yet
Well enough for a now. I get long winded sometimes.
(My other hobby Writing )
73 Ron

Welcome Ron.

If you float around here enough you will see that we share the same two hobbies, flying and writing. If you think you get long, wait till you hit some of my posts. :eek:

In any case, there are lots of good planes out there for new electric flyers. Hop over to the Beginner's forum and you will find lots of good suggestions.

You will like it here.

15bert 05-30-2006 01:58 PM

Hello Chaps,

I'm new to this site, I've been all-electric (apart from some diesel free-flight) for over four years now. I've been on the eZone but I didn't know this forum existed until now (Doh!).

In the hanger at the moment are:

Limbo Dancer - AXI 2820/12 3S 4400
Formosa - 2408-10 3S 1500
Paddle - 2408-21 2S 2400
Pinto - Vortex 2830/1270 3S 2000
Sharkface - DualSky B400 3S 1500
Shockflyer - C&K 2S or 3S 340
T-IFO - Geared Himark 12mm 2S 340
Filip 600 Sport - AXI2820/10 8 X 2400 NiCads
E-Man - Hyperion 2213/20 3S 2000
Graupner Terry - 2408-21 2S 2400

I'm looking forward to lurking (and occasionally posting) on this forum,

Bert

David S. 05-30-2006 02:07 PM

Hi,

New member here, though I suspect my face may be familiar to some from other forums. I'm British, but have lived in Finland for the last 10 years (though what made me emmigrate to a colder, wetter, darker country is a mystery even to me!). Been building and flying RC for about 35 years, unlikely to stop now!

Mainly been a glow flier, but have dabbled in electrics from time to time, and likely to do more electric than glow in the future.

Currently flyable models include an electrified Sig Riser 2M (Typhoon 15 outrunner, 8x GP1100), a modified KK Outlaw (another Typhoon 15 and shares the same battery packs) and a Sig 4 Star 40 (not exactly an original choice) which I first built and flew as a glow model, then converted to electric with an Axi 4120/18 and 20 NiMH, though later flew it with 10 cells and a Flyware 350. I sold it a year ago, but the new owner was too busy to fly it so bought it back a few weeks back. Just waiting for my new battery packs to arrive (12x GP3700) and I can fly it again, still with the Flyware.

I also have a Chris Foss Wot 4 that I first flew with a 2 stroke .52, then the Axi 4120/18 on 16 cells, and now has a .70 four stroke on it, but am probably selling it this weekend. Better not mention the glow heli here, I suppose!

That's it, look forward to reading the forum and joining in when I can.

Cheers,
David S. in Kouvola, Finland

Don Sims 05-30-2006 02:11 PM

Hey folks! We appreciate your posting and Welcome!

trewheeler 05-30-2006 09:46 PM

Allow myself to introduce, er myself ...

Built a trainer 25 years ago with my Dad and watched one of his friends use it to prune a large oak tree first and only time we flew it. It gathered dust hanging from the ceiling for several years and we traded it in for a Tamiya RC car that I really got into. 25 years later, I find some RTF's on eBay and start crashing those all by myself. Then start recycling them and making things that crash even quicker. Then got a GWS Slow Stick. Learning to not fly in any wind whatsoever. Also learning part numbers by heart for fixing this plane. Now, slowly compiling everything I need for my new NES Streetfighter Corsair that is currently in the post - they say it's for novice/intermediate and (quote) "will glue right back together"! Sounds like the plane for me!

Anyway, I'm hooked. Technology has really reopened a fantastic hobby for many and I am totally fascinated by the advances we have made.

Currently, I spend about 1% of this hobby flying and am hoping to be in the air more.

mellow2990 05-30-2006 10:35 PM

I have a couple of planes stored away for the future. One is a Rip Max Spitfire and the other is a ducted fan SU-27 jet. Right now I am trying to master the Begin Air by Park Zone Those two planes are both made by a company called Art-Tech in China.

Steve

AEAJR 05-30-2006 11:55 PM

Welcome guys. You sound like new flyers so this link might be helpful:

Six Keys to Success
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

Geo420 05-31-2006 12:15 AM

Yahoo Guys, go for it both of you. soon you'll be taking them home lots less in Bin Liners!:D

Stay Chilled and remember to breeeeth..... :) If you can

Regards

George

trewheeler 05-31-2006 02:50 PM

Thanks AEAJR very much for the link and greetings.
George, say Hello to mother England for me! For all of you yanks who don't know what 'bin liners' are: 'trash bags'.

RM Stinson 06-01-2006 12:10 AM

Hiya guys. I'm a regular on RC Groups, just got turned on to this forum by EAMRC. I won't go into detail about my planes, but I have a transmitter with 20 aircraft memories in it. 18 are taken up!