WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

Airhead 11-30-2008 06:38 AM

Welcome aboard Warthog,
Eds information has helped a lot of folks. even experienced folks. Check out the other stickies too. they may be helpful too...

AEAJR 11-30-2008 03:24 PM

You guys are making me blush. :o

Newbies, feel free to post questions to the sticky threads, just keep them on topic. Those who started the threads and those who have contributed will get a notice of your question and you can be confident you will get a lot of good input.

nathanthepilot 12-02-2008 01:35 AM

Good to be here!

Thanks for the site! I'm sure I'll be learning a lot from the seasoned electric flyers out there! I'm a former glow pilot now! Fun fun fun!

Rabbitcreekok 12-02-2008 06:23 AM

Hello Nathan and welcome to WattFlyer. I am glad to hear you are trading in that nasty after flight goo for nice clean electrons.:tc:

GaFlyBoy 12-02-2008 02:26 PM

Hello everyone .....GREAT SITE WITH LOADS OF INFORMATION......Thanks Stevie

firemanbill 12-02-2008 02:27 PM

Hi Stevie! Welcome to WattFlyer.:D

DB1 12-03-2008 09:12 PM

Hello all. Excellent site! Very easy to navigate and it seems like a great community. I've already picked up a bunch of great tips here.
~Dan

gfdengine204 12-03-2008 09:23 PM

Dan,

Welcome to Wattflyer. There is much to learn here, and many helpful folks with tons of knowledge ready to share!

Wilbro 12-06-2008 02:00 AM

Hello all. Just joined. I used to fly glow planes in the 80's. I had a .40 Eaglet and Great Planes sportster, and a I built a 1/4 scale Citabria kit which never flew. Hard to believe it's been about twenty years ago. I was thinking about getting a good plane to fly with my kids. Would the Parkzone Corsair be a good start? Or should I get a powered glider? I think I need some crash resistance, but it needs to be cool! Thanks in advance.

branded7k 12-06-2008 02:47 AM

Hey Wilbro;

Welcome to Wattflyer! I was into nitro more than 35 years ago and like you, am relatively new to electrics. I would recommend the GWS Slowstick. If you're familiar with the old Ugly Stiks, you'll be right at home. They're inexpensive to buy and maintain, fairly resisliant and a blast to fly. They make great trainers and you'll always find them fun flyers (I still have two that I fly on a regular basis). I've modified one of my SlowSticks with ailerons, which make it much more responsive in turns. There's quite a bit of dihedral in the wing, so I don't attempt too many barrel rolls. With a 48" wingspan, slow flight characteristics are excellent and in a slight breeze you can hover over the ground with no problem. IMHO this would be a great little plane to share with your kids!

branded7K :tc:

Wilbro 12-06-2008 03:19 AM

Thanks Branded7k. I do remember the Ugly Sticks. Just basic, fun fliers. I looked up the Slow Stick, and it does look like it would be a good starter plane. Would you recommend getting the radio and motor separately so you can use them for other planes? Thanks again. - Wilbro

branded7k 12-06-2008 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wilbro (Post 517577)
Thanks Branded7k. I do remember the Ugly Sticks. Just basic, fun fliers. I looked up the Slow Stick, and it does look like it would be a good starter plane. Would you recommend getting the radio and motor separately so you can use them for other planes? Thanks again. - Wilbro

Don't buy the entire package. Just purchase the plane. The plane will come with a motor, but the best that can be said for them is that they are "adequate". Spring for a good brushless "outrunner". A good choice for this model is the 2410-09Y available at Heads Up RC. You'll also need a brushless ESC. The one listed with this motor is good (I have 4 of them) and I've never experienced any problems with them. Here's the link to the motor and ESC on the vendor's site:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...tor/Categories

Be sure to order a couple extra props, motor shafts (you will bend them!) and prop savers. Again, here's the link to the items:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...rs-FIVE/Detail

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...for-the/Detail

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...for-3mm/Detail

I also have had good luck with this vendor's LiPo batteries. I recommend the 2250 MaH packs. They will give you between 20-30 minutes flight time on the Slow Sticks (moderate throttle). I've been flying with the same batteries for almost 2 years and they're still going strong:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2250mah/Detail

You will also need a good battery charger. Everyone has their opinions, so do your research and decided for yourself. I personally own a G.T. Power A8 and am very pleased with it. It has a balancer, but you can purchase balancers separately if you opt for a charger that doesn't have one built in.

As far as radios go, I would recommend a 6-channel. Most 72 Mhz radios can be had for a Franklin. I personally prefer the feel of the Futabas, but do own a 2.4 GHz Spektrum DX6i and find it to be a fine radio. BTW, Spektrum is now offering the 2.4 GHz DX5e for $99! My only caveat when buying radios is to stay away from transmitters that run on "AA" batteries! Stick with the NiCD or NiMH TXs.

Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions!

branded7K ;)

Wilbro 12-06-2008 05:09 AM

branded7k - Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like a plan!
By the way, I'm new to discusion forums. Is there a way to tell if someone replied to you while you're clicking around different threads?

branded7k 12-06-2008 05:56 AM

To be honest, I'm new to forum discussion also. I do know you can edit your profile and request instant email notification whenever anyone replies to your thread. Maybe one of the other members could answer that question for us. Would be nice to have some type of notice within the forum when someone responds.

Rabbitcreekok 12-06-2008 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by branded7k (Post 517840)
To be honest, I'm new to forum discussion also. I do know you can edit your profile and request instant email notification whenever anyone replies to your thread. Maybe one of the other members could answer that question for us. Would be nice to have some type of notice within the forum when someone responds.

Hello Branded. If you will click on My Wattflyer in the left end of the lower blue band in the header, you can edit any and all the things that pertain you you on the forum.

branded7k 12-06-2008 05:54 PM

Thanks for the info and I have checked out all the settings. Is there any way of receiving some kind of notification (other than email) when someone responds to one of your posts while your viewing other topics within the forum?

gfdengine204 12-06-2008 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by branded7k (Post 517980)
Thanks for the info and I have checked out all the settings. Is there any way of receiving some kind of notification (other than email) when someone responds to one of your posts while your viewing other topics within the forum?

Branded,

Welcome to Wattflyer! The only notification available here is by email; you have the option of instant, daily, weekly, or no email notification for any threads you wish to subscribe to. By posting in a thread, you are automatically subscribed to it.

Rabbitcreekok 12-06-2008 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by branded7k (Post 517980)

If you will click on the RealTime Post Spy in the header, you will open a window that shows instantly any post made on the forum or you can limit it to your subscribed threads only. I keep two of these open most of the time.

ampmaker 12-14-2008 11:00 PM

Just joined today. Have been reading some of the posts for a couple of days and found the information very useful. I am a retired electrical engineer from a large aerospace company and electric flight seems the logical way to go. I am a real newbee to flying so I have a lot to learn. THIS SEEMS LIKE THE APPROPRIATE SITE TO GET THAT HELP. I am glad you are here.

Don Sims 12-15-2008 02:17 AM

Welcome gents! Amp, there's a lot of helpful folks who hang out in the forums.

AEAJR 12-15-2008 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by ampmaker (Post 523653)
Just joined today. Have been reading some of the posts for a couple of days and found the information very useful. I am a retired electrical engineer from a large aerospace company and electric flight seems the logical way to go. I am a real newbee to flying so I have a lot to learn. THIS SEEMS LIKE THE APPROPRIATE SITE TO GET THAT HELP. I am glad you are here.

Welclome to Wattflyer.

This is absolutely the best place for a new electric flyer to get help. Be sure to read all the sticky threads in the Beginner forum.

mauriban 12-15-2008 05:04 PM

Hi to all

Hi to all,
I just found about this forum while searching the net for a good rc brushless motor. Most of my RC Models are electric since I do not trust much IC engines. I also started a blog on RC Model aircraft.
Thanks to all and hope to learn more from you people

Maurizio Banavage:D

Rabbitcreekok 12-15-2008 06:03 PM

Hello Maurizio and welcome to WattFlyer. You will find a lot of friends and good discussion here.

Huffy01 12-17-2008 05:23 PM

Hello WattFlyer's, just registered a few hour's ago .It's been fun and informative.
Got my first elec-assist sailplane today !!!!!

firemanbill 12-17-2008 05:28 PM

Hi Huffy! Welcome to WattFlyer! Glad to have you aboard.:D