WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Warbird Electrics (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   What Is Your All Time Favorite WW II Airplane. (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60814)

pd1 06-11-2011 09:31 PM


Originally Posted by Octavius (Post 815035)
I like this one too. I've always been confused about the black stripe on the sides. I've read they paint it black because it would be covered in exhaust/oil anyway. OK that's fine, but it's not the only plane with this exhaust configuration so why the only one with the paint. Please school me.

In the exhaust there are traces of acid.
Also the cleaners used are not good for the paint.

I've washed the color off many planes while trying to clean exhaust residue. When Fantastic and Formula 409 first came out we thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Up til then we used everything from cleaners to avgas. Fantastic could have been used as paint remover.

The paint was only there to protect the aluminum and the black gave a little extra defense.
If white started showing through, it was time for more black.

pattern14 06-12-2011 12:52 AM

During my childhood and up to my middle teens (before girls and motorcycles:D), my biggest interest was WW2 planes. I read countless books and magazines, and was almost obsessed with finding out as much as I could about them. My bedroom was adorned with plastic models, and my first flying plane was a Spitfire, then a mustang. Both were glow, balsa and control line. The main reason was that nearly everything I read stated that these planes were the ultimate, and won the air war. Then years later, with the vast amount of information available now available, it seems I was misinformed. The Hawker Hurricane shouldered the Battle of Britian, the Spitfire got the glory The Spitfire in turn was totally outclassed by the advent of the Focke- wulf 190. The P47 Thunderbolt was a much more capable and robust plane than the p51, but they too were inferior to the FW 190-D. Vastly outnumbered, and with poorly trained pilots, the odds were not in their favour. This same Focke- wulf 190 was roundly trounced by the Heinkel He 280 jet in mock combat, which was itself overlooked in favour of the Me 262. This plane was supposedly the "Wonder weapon", and caused much wonder and amazement to me as a boy, but in truth was poorly made, unreliable and killed more pilots in training accidents than the over rated p51 ever claimed. Of course, this was all stuff that I read; I wasn't there. Having to re-think my previous concepts and beliefs means I no longer have a favourite, although the Arado Ar 234 is still in the running;)

Drifter 06-12-2011 12:29 PM

There are so many fantastic planes from WW2, but my favourites would be:

1. De Haviland Mosquito. (I want a flying model of this at some point :D )
2. Avro Lancaster.
3. Supermarine Spitfire.

Lieutenant Loughead 06-12-2011 04:40 PM

Two things:

1) I've always found it interesting that people from the UK tend to choose British aircraft as their "favorite", while people from America tend to choose USA aircraft as their "favorite". (Yes, there are exceptions.) There must be a sense of patriotism in our choices...

2) Parkzone just released a micro-De Haviland Mosquito that has a decent entry fee ($120). Check it out here, and enjoy! :)

bbqflyer 06-12-2011 05:58 PM

Hey all, I think there is a sense of patriotism when we choose. These were the planes our men flew. Also it may go a step further as I really have a passion for all WWII aircraft but as since I served in the Navy, I have a tendancy towards Naval aircraft as my favorites are the F4U Corsair and any of the Grumman aircraft, especially the F6F Hellcat!

acdii 06-16-2011 10:09 PM


Originally Posted by pattern14 (Post 815238)
During my childhood and up to my middle teens (before girls and motorcycles:D), my biggest interest was WW2 planes. I read countless books and magazines, and was almost obsessed with finding out as much as I could about them. My bedroom was adorned with plastic models, and my first flying plane was a Spitfire, then a mustang. Both were glow, balsa and control line. The main reason was that nearly everything I read stated that these planes were the ultimate, and won the air war. Then years later, with the vast amount of information available now available, it seems I was misinformed. The Hawker Hurricane shouldered the Battle of Britian, the Spitfire got the glory The Spitfire in turn was totally outclassed by the advent of the Focke- wulf 190. The P47 Thunderbolt was a much more capable and robust plane than the p51, but they too were inferior to the FW 190-D. Vastly outnumbered, and with poorly trained pilots, the odds were not in their favour. This same Focke- wulf 190 was roundly trounced by the Heinkel He 280 jet in mock combat, which was itself overlooked in favour of the Me 262. This plane was supposedly the "Wonder weapon", and caused much wonder and amazement to me as a boy, but in truth was poorly made, unreliable and killed more pilots in training accidents than the over rated p51 ever claimed. Of course, this was all stuff that I read; I wasn't there. Having to re-think my previous concepts and beliefs means I no longer have a favourite, although the Arado Ar 234 is still in the running;)


I still believe the Corsair can woop a P51. The F4U is faster. The Brits flew the Corsair too, before dumping them into the ocean because they didnt want to pay for them. :censor:

mclarkson 06-17-2011 12:04 AM

Every time I read this thread and someone mentions plane X, I think, "Yeah. That one."

I don't think I could really have a favorite. I love the Mosquito, the Corsair, the B-25, the Spit, the Jug ... I can't decide.

earthsciteach 06-19-2011 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My favorite warbird came for a visit to my local airport this weekend! Man, that B-25 is a pretty bird!:$

Lieutenant Loughead 06-20-2011 02:41 AM


Originally Posted by earthsciteach (Post 817227)
My favorite warbird came for a visit to my local airport this weekend! Man, that B-25 is a pretty bird!:$

Agreed -- the B-25 is a bomber that could be flown like a fighter (very much like the Mosquito or P-38). She even launched from an aircraft carrier -- what amazing history!

Arkitexas 07-09-2011 12:19 AM

My favorite is the P-51D Mustang, but then I'm very biased as you can see in my Avatar... that's my dad in India/Burma 1944/45. The plane is the TEXAS KITTEN.

The following is a letter I found in my dad's files. It was sent to him by another WWII P-51 pilot. I previously posted it in another forum but thought others here might find it as stirring as I did.


A P-51 Story

It was noon on a Sunday as I recall, the day a Mustang P-51 was to take to the air. They said it had flown in during the night from some US airport, the pilot had been tired.

I marveled at the size of the plane dwarfing the Pipers and Canucks tied down by her, it was much larger than in the movies. She glistened in the sun like a bulwark of security from days gone by.

The pilot arrived by cab paid the driver then stepped into the flight lounge. He was an older man, his wavy hair was grey and tossed .. looked like it might have been combed, ... say, around the turn of the century. His bomber jacket was checked, creased, and worn, it smelled old and genuine. Old Glory was prominently sewn to its shoulders. He projected a quiet air of proficiency and pride devoid of arrogance. He filed a quick flight plan to Montreal (Expo-67, Air Show) then walked across the tarmac.

After taking several minutes to perform his walk-around check the pilot returned to the flight lounge to ask if anyone would be available to stand by with fire extinguishers while he "flashed the old bird up .. just to be safe." Though only 12 at the time I was allowed to stand by with an extinguisher after brief instruction on its use --"If you see a fire point then pull this lever!" I later became a firefighter, but that's another story.

The air around the exhaust manifolds shimmered like a mirror from fuel fumes as the huge prop started to rotate. One manifold, then another, and yet another barked --I stepped back with the others. In moments the Packard-built Merlin engine came to life with a thunderous roar, blue flames knifed from her manifolds. I looked at the others' faces, there was no concern. I lowered the bell of my extinguisher. One of the guys signaled to walk back to the lounge, we did.

Several minutes later we could hear the pilot doing his pre flight run-up. He'd taxied to the end of runway 19, out of sight. All went quiet for several seconds, we raced from the lounge to the second story deck to see if we could catch a glimpse of the P-51 as she started down the runway, we could not. There we stood, eyes fixed to a spot half way down 19. Then a roar ripped across the field, much louder than before, like a furious hell spawn set loose --something mighty this way was coming.

"Listen to that thing!" Said the controller. In seconds the Mustang burst into our line of sight. Its tail was already off and it was moving faster than anything I'd ever seen by that point on 19. Two thirds the way down 19 the Mustang was airborne with her gear going up. The prop tips were supersonic; we clasped our ears as the Mustang climbed hellish fast into the circuit to be eaten up by the dog-day haze.

We stood for a few moments in stunned silence trying to digest what we'd just seen. The radio controller rushed by me to the radio. "Kingston radio calling Mustang?" He looked back to us as he waited for an acknowledgment. The radio crackled, "Kingston radio, go ahead." "Roger Mustang. Kingston radio would like to advise the circuit is clear for a low level pass." I stood in shock because the controller had, more or less, just asked the pilot to return for an impromptu air show!

The controller looked at us. "What?" He asked. "I can't let that guy go without asking ... I couldn't forgive myself!" The radio crackled once again, "Kingston radio, do I have permission for a low level pass, east to west, across the field?" "Roger Mustang, the circuit is clear for an east to west pass." "Roger, Kingston radio, we're coming out of 3000 feet, stand by." We rushed back onto the second-story deck, eyes fixed toward the eastern haze.

The sound was subtle at first, a high-pitched whine, a muffled screech, a distant scream. Moments later the P-51 burst through the haze .. her airframe straining against positive Gs and gravity, wing tips spilling contrails of condensed air, prop-tips again supersonic as the burnished bird blasted across the eastern margin of the field shredding and tearing the air.

At about 400 Mph and 150 yards from where we stood she passed with an old American pilot saluting ... imagine ... a salute. I felt like laughing, I felt like crying, she glistened, she screamed, the building shook, my heart pounded ... then the old pilot pulled her up ... and rolled, and rolled, and rolled out of sight into the broken clouds and indelibly into my memory.

I've never wanted to be an American more than on that day. It was a time when many nations in the world looked to America as their big brother, a steady and even-handed beacon of security who navigated difficult political water with grace and style; not unlike the pilot who'd just flown into my memory. He was proud, not arrogant, humble, not a braggart, old and honest projecting an aura of America at its best. That America will return one day, I know it will.

Until that time, I'll just send off a story; call it a reciprocal salute, to the old American pilot who wove a memory for a young Canadian that's stayed a lifetime.

Lieutenant Loughead 07-09-2011 05:48 AM

Awesome story -- just awesome.

smooth operator 07-09-2011 06:29 AM

i LOVE airplanes of the World War II, but my favorite has to be the B-17. it's been my favorite ever since i saw the movie Memphis Belle when i was a little kid. i saw one flying in formation with a B-24 down the shore a few summers ago. i am huge on World War II aircraft, it's probably the biggest reason why i got into r/c. could probably tell you every single fighter/bomber/ground attack/recon/transport of every major nation in World War II :)

Octavius 07-09-2011 06:57 AM

I never really took it seriously but now that I have one really starting to fall in love with the P-47 (bubbletop).

FlyWheel 07-10-2011 02:15 AM


Originally Posted by Arkitexas
My favorite is the P-51D Mustang, but then I'm very biased as you can see in my Avatar... that's my dad in India/Burma 1944/45. The plane is the TEXAS KITTEN.

The following is a letter I found in my dad's files. It was sent to him by another WWII P-51 pilot. I previously posted it in another forum but thought others here might find it as stirring as I did.

A P-51 Story

It was noon on a Sunday as I recall, the day a Mustang P-51 was to take to the air. They said it had flown in during the night from some US airport, the pilot had been tired.

I marveled at the size of the plane dwarfing the Pipers and Canucks tied down by her, it was much larger than in the movies. She glistened in the sun like a bulwark of security from days gone by.
The pilot arrived by cab paid the driver then stepped into the flight lounge. He was an older man, his wavy hair was grey and tossed .. looked like it might have been combed, ... say, around the turn of the century. His bomber jacket was checked, creased, and worn, it smelled old and genuine. Old Glory was prominently sewn to its shoulders. He projected a quiet air of proficiency and pride devoid of arrogance. He filed a quick flight plan to Montreal (Expo-67, Air Show) then walked across the tarmac.

After taking several minutes to perform his walk-around check the pilot returned to the flight lounge to ask if anyone would be available to stand by with fire extinguishers while he "flashed the old bird up .. just to be safe." Though only 12 at the time I was allowed to stand by with an extinguisher after brief instruction on its use --"If you see a fire point then pull this lever!" I later became a firefighter, but that's another story.

The air around the exhaust manifolds shimmered like a mirror from fuel fumes as the huge prop started to rotate. One manifold, then another, and yet another barked --I stepped back with the others. In moments the Packard-built Merlin engine came to life with a thunderous roar, blue flames knifed from her manifolds. I looked at the others' faces, there was no concern. I lowered the bell of my extinguisher. One of the guys signaled to walk back to the lounge, we did.

Several minutes later we could hear the pilot doing his pre flight run-up. He'd taxied to the end of runway 19, out of sight. All went quiet for several seconds, we raced from the lounge to the second story deck to see if we could catch a glimpse of the P-51 as she started down the runway, we could not. There we stood, eyes fixed to a spot half way down 19. Then a roar ripped across the field, much louder than before, like a furious hell spawn set loose --something mighty this way was coming.
"Listen to that thing!" Said the controller. In seconds the Mustang burst into our line of sight. Its tail was already off and it was moving faster than anything I'd ever seen by that point on 19. Two thirds the way down 19 the Mustang was airborne with her gear going up. The prop tips were supersonic; we clasped our ears as the Mustang climbed hellish fast into the circuit to be eaten up by the dog-day haze.

We stood for a few moments in stunned silence trying to digest what we'd just seen. The radio controller rushed by me to the radio. "Kingston radio calling Mustang?" He looked back to us as he waited for an acknowledgment. The radio crackled, "Kingston radio, go ahead." "Roger Mustang. Kingston radio would like to advise the circuit is clear for a low level pass." I stood in shock because the controller had, more or less, just asked the pilot to return for an impromptu air show!

The controller looked at us. "What?" He asked. "I can't let that guy go without asking ... I couldn't forgive myself!" The radio crackled once again, "Kingston radio, do I have permission for a low level pass, east to west, across the field?" "Roger Mustang, the circuit is clear for an east to west pass." "Roger, Kingston radio, we're coming out of 3000 feet, stand by." We rushed back onto the second-story deck, eyes fixed toward the eastern haze.

The sound was subtle at first, a high-pitched whine, a muffled screech, a distant scream. Moments later the P-51 burst through the haze .. her airframe straining against positive Gs and gravity, wing tips spilling contrails of condensed air, prop-tips again supersonic as the burnished bird blasted across the eastern margin of the field shredding and tearing the air.

At about 400 Mph and 150 yards from where we stood she passed with an old American pilot saluting ... imagine ... a salute. I felt like laughing, I felt like crying, she glistened, she screamed, the building shook, my heart pounded ... then the old pilot pulled her up ... and rolled, and rolled, and rolled out of sight into the broken clouds and indelibly into my memory.

I've never wanted to be an American more than on that day. It was a time when many nations in the world looked to America as their big brother, a steady and even-handed beacon of security who navigated difficult political water with grace and style; not unlike the pilot who'd just flown into my memory. He was proud, not arrogant, humble, not a braggart, old and honest projecting an aura of America at its best. That America will return one day, I know it will.

Until that time, I'll just send off a story; call it a reciprocal salute, to the old American pilot who wove a memory for a young Canadian that's stayed a lifetime.

OK, I had to stop and wipe my eyes after that one. :)

xmech2k 07-10-2011 03:32 AM

It's making me want to throw in my One Six Right DVD and crank up the volume!

tenacious101010 07-14-2011 04:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
At this moment I would say a Vultee BT-13, but then maybe thats because I just finished 2 years of building time to complete mine. the funny thing is, I have another BT-13 I am going to start on very soon! Well, my wife probably doesnt think it funny.

kenchiroalpha 07-14-2011 04:40 PM


Originally Posted by tenacious101010 (Post 822831)
At this moment I would say a Vultee BT-13, but then maybe thats because I just finished 2 years of building time to complete mine. the funny thing is, I have another BT-13 I am going to start on very soon! Well, my wife probably doesnt think it funny.

Hi
Outstanding
Shes a beauty:$:tc: Very nice
Thanks ever so much for sharing her with us
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Octavius 07-14-2011 06:54 PM

I want to say the Sea Fury but some people will correctly point out the Fury made it into WWII but the Sea Fury didn't. My knowledge of the exact dates is very thin, but I'm going to say Sear Fury anyway since it fits the very high end of this era of planes.

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargra...FB11_1_500.jpg

kenchiroalpha 07-14-2011 08:37 PM


Originally Posted by Octavius (Post 822864)
I want to say the Sea Fury but some people will correctly point out the Fury made it into WWII but the Sea Fury didn't. My knowledge of the exact dates is very thin, but I'm going to say Sear Fury anyway since it fits the very high end of this era of planes.

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargra...FB11_1_500.jpg

Hi
Very cool plane
Heres mine
Do enjoy
Take care
Yours Hank

Octavius 07-14-2011 09:20 PM


Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha (Post 822887)
Hi
Very cool plane
Heres mine
Do enjoy
Take care
Yours Hank

Very nice? What manufacture is that? My grand plan for life involves building the Top Flight Sea Fury?

kenchiroalpha 07-14-2011 09:24 PM


Originally Posted by Octavius (Post 822895)
Very nice? What manufacture is that? My grand plan for life involves building the Top Flight Sea Fury?

Hi
Thanks:D
Shes a Thunder Tiger:$:tc::ws:
http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/4576.html
Take care
Yours Hank

pattern14 07-15-2011 01:28 AM


Originally Posted by Octavius (Post 822895)
Very nice? What manufacture is that? My grand plan for life involves building the Top Flight Sea Fury?

It's worth a try, but S&B Warbirds in Australia had a Sea Fury in their line up a couple of years back, just before a cyclone destroyed their factory:eek:. They are getting production going again now, and may have one as old stock. Their EPP models are as tough as they come; ask me how I know:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

quorneng 07-15-2011 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Sea Fury did probably represent the peak of single engine fighters, the deep rumble of the big sleeve valve Bristol Centaurus is beautiful, but my favourite has got to be the DH Hornet/Sea Hornet.
Attachment 150796
Superb streamlining, 4000hp, one seat and the majority of the airframe still made of wood!
Apparently its party piece was a low pass at speed with both engines feathered, pull up, restart and land.
You need some confidence in both the airframe and engines to do that.
It is a great shame only just a few random bits have survived.

dahawk 08-24-2011 12:36 AM

I'm a B-24 Liberator fan but I'm biased because my Dad was a crew chief on one. There were far more B-24's built than B-17's during the war and the only reason they did not get as publicity was that the B-17 bases were mainly around London and the B-24 bases were further north. The reporters didn't want to travel that far. Plus, the entertainment industry insisted that Clark Cable be assigned to a B-17 versus the B24 because it was easier to fly. Jimmie Stewart on the other hand, went for the B-24 because he considered it a "pilot's" airplane.

Wish the Chinese EPO foam builders like ParkZone or Airfield would come out with a Lib. I would be first in line to buy one. There's been a few scale, balsa nitro versions along the way but that's way over my head both technically and cost wise.

I'll keep the dream going...

road king 97 08-24-2011 01:03 AM


Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 830494)
I'm a B-24 Liberator fan but I'm biased because my Dad was a crew chief on one. There were far more B-24's built than B-17's during the war and the only reason they did not get as publicity was that the B-17 bases were mainly around London and the B-24 bases were further north. The reporters didn't want to travel that far. Plus, the entertainment industry insisted that Clark Cable be assigned to a B-17 versus the B24 because it was easier to fly. Jimmie Stewart on the other hand, went for the B-24 because he considered it a "pilot's" airplane.

Wish the Chinese EPO foam builders like ParkZone or Airfield would come out with a Lib. I would be first in line to buy one. There's been a few scale, balsa nitro versions along the way but that's way over my head both technically and cost wise.

I'll keep the dream going...

I had a b-24 that i picked up in a trade for a bunch of stuff . The fuse was almost done with working bomb doors and moving turrets . I was telling a old guy in my club about it and he asked if the box was notched out to hold the fuse, i said yes .Him and his son had started it 10 years ago and he said he kinda missed it . Iam not building warbirds anymore so i told him that he and his grown up son now, could come get the two boxes of parts and finish it. lol He stoped over very fast to pick his long lost b-24 up . Small world dont you think. joe


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:08 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.07210 seconds with 7 queries