WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Ducted Fan Jets (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Phase 3 F-16 build thread. (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41107)

SmoothCruizer 11-23-2008 08:44 PM

pretty kool dude :) wow she looks ready to ring out some turns hehe.... if you get a diving feel to your maiden, after about 4-5 flights with mine i used 1 nickel in each taileron to balance.... after that i have a neutral feel when straight and level.... i unhooked the linkage and floated the nickel on top, marked it when balanced (u probably noticed it goes backwards unhooked) dremeled and shoved the nickel in and hot glued it. let me know if u do it later --- Scott:D

Angler-Hi 11-23-2008 09:33 PM

Thanks Scott. I've never balanced tailerons before...never had to, and I hope I don't have to. I'm getting used to the idea that I'm finally done with the build:p>. If I'm lucky I'll be able to maiden her tomorrow. We'll see.

newjak 11-23-2008 10:00 PM

Mike,
Nice looking paint job!! Now you're making mine look bad. I need to touch up a few spots on mine. It went in aftera taileron link worked its way loose. Pay close attention to the amount of throw on yours. Too much and it will pop the ball link right off. This is what happend to mine after that episode.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...h_P8040015.jpg

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 12:07 AM

Thanks Newjak, I'll definitely keep that in mind when I set my throws. Sorry to see that man.

newjak 11-24-2008 01:18 AM

She's all repaired and has been flown since then. I just put in a wicked extreme motor and I hope to try it out soon. Maybe next week.

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by newjak (Post 510195)
She's all repaired and has been flown since then. I just put in a wicked extreme motor and I hope to try it out soon. Maybe next week.

Did you have your throws set to the manual's recommendations? I might go with 70% D/R for the elevator and 75-80% D/R for the ailerons.

Did you give her any up elevator trim for before you launched her...also what did you set your CG at!? Thanks.

Mike

profilefan 11-24-2008 01:35 PM

Looks awesome Mike, can't wait to hear about the maiden!

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by profilefan (Post 510462)
Looks awesome Mike, can't wait to hear about the maiden!

Thanks bud. I just have to get her balanced at the CG and program some D/R and she'll be ready for maiden. I'll get video (good or bad) and post it here.

profilefan 11-24-2008 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi (Post 510466)
Thanks bud. I just have to get her balanced at the CG and program some D/R and she'll be ready for maiden. I'll get video (good or bad) and post it here.

Look foward to it. What lipos are you going to be using? I read you position the edf 1 &1/2" from the lip which means you are planning to use lipos weighing 160-170 grams correct?

After you painted did you coat with mimwax to protect that beautiful paint job? :)

You have inspired me to complete my phase3!

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by profilefan (Post 510470)
Look foward to it. What lipos are you going to be using? I read you position the edf 1 &1/2" from the lip which means you are planning to use lipos weighing 160-170 grams correct?

After you painted did you coat with mimwax to protect that beautiful paint job? :)

You have inspired me to complete my phase3!

Thanks Profile. I'm using 3s 2200mah li-pos in this plane. They weigh on average of about 170g.

As for the Minwax, yes I will be coating her with the spraycan rather than the foam brush. I still need to go back and give the stripes another coat to help fill in the color. Once that's done I'll coat her with the minwax.

Good luck on your build friend. I love the way she came out for me. I wanted to maiden today, but the winds are quite gustly today:(. Soon though:ws:.

Mike

crxmanpat 11-24-2008 06:54 PM

Wow Mike,

I go away for 3 days and you've already got it done! I just spent 3 days at the AZ Jet Rally, and got maybe 12 sorties with the F-16. I even flew at times when some of the big guy turbines were up, and the F-16 was no slouch!

Good luck on your maiden!

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 510548)
Wow Mike,

I go away for 3 days and you've already got it done! I just spent 3 days at the AZ Jet Rally, and got maybe 12 sorties with the F-16. I even flew at times when some of the big guy turbines were up, and the F-16 was no slouch!

Good luck on your maiden!

Thanks friend! I was looking over the paint scheme and kept thinking that something was missing...SO, I gave the tiger stripes a chrome highlight:

crxmanpat 11-24-2008 09:41 PM

I like it! Adds a little flair.

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 510590)
I like it! Adds a little flair.

Well there definitely won't be a loss of orientation in the air:ws:

Fly Time 11-24-2008 09:51 PM

Mike, that little jet is looking better all the time! The only thing that would improve it at this point is a picture of it in the air. Hopefully that is coming soon!

crxmanpat 11-24-2008 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not to hijack, but check this one out. It was at the Vegas SuperFly last month. He covered the entire plane in vinyl (like the window graphics kind). All of it hand cut. Beautiful plane and a speed demon in the air! He did 150+ easy.

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 10:21 PM

Thanks Doug. Pics and video are coming soon friend...as soon as the wind dies down.

crxmanpat, that's a nice looking bird. Is it covered with vinyl or monokote, Etc? I see where the gray overlaps the orange. The same with the tiger stripes. I would love to know how to cover a foam plane with monokote or vinyl.

crxmanpat 11-24-2008 10:25 PM

He did it all in vinyl. Not sure how he managed the overlaps. It looks like the grey vinyl was somewhat translucent.

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 510622)
He did it all in vinyl. Not sure how he managed the overlaps. It looks like the grey vinyl was somewhat translucent.

How does he apply it to the foam? Does he use an adhesive or just a heat gun?

alienx 11-24-2008 10:53 PM

That's a really nice looking bird. I think the animal prints look cool on warbirds!! Good work.

crxmanpat 11-24-2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi (Post 510627)
How does he apply it to the foam? Does he use an adhesive or just a heat gun?

I think he did just peel and stick, with a little heat around the more compound curves. He said it was real easy to do.

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 11:03 PM

Thanks Andy!

crxmanpat, that sounds like it would be easy to do...any idea on where he got the vinyl? Sorry about all the questions, but if the maiden goes well, I'm going to pick up two more of these kits!

Mike

crxmanpat 11-24-2008 11:04 PM

Not sure. I think he lives in Vegas. I think any sign shop may have some, or can point you in the right direction.

Angler-Hi 11-24-2008 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 510684)
Not sure. I think he lives in Vegas. I think any sign shop may have some, or can point you in the right direction.

I'll check into that, thanks.

Angler-Hi 11-25-2008 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know I've already posted so many pics, but here she is with the stripes on their second and final coat of paint, with a chrome accent and a final coat of WBP.