WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Spektrum doohickey (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39201)

Straub 09-19-2008 09:44 PM

Spektrum doohickey

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a Spektrum DX7 for my heli addiction and it came with this doohickey. What is its purpose?? I also bought a Spektrum neck strap and it came with one as well. So now I have two of these unknown thingies. What can I do with them? Attachment 78511

Lieutenant Loughead 09-19-2008 09:58 PM

It's to connect your neck strap to the transmitter. :)

constantCrash 09-19-2008 10:11 PM

I believe it is for hanging a bind plug off your controller?

groundrushesup 09-19-2008 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by constantCrash (Post 477975)

nah, its a quick-release for a neck strap as Lt. said.

Best place to store your bind plug is in the battery compartment, there's room next to the battery pack. ;-)

Lieutenant Loughead 09-19-2008 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by groundrushesup (Post 477983)
Best place to store your bind plug is in the battery compartment, there's room next to the battery pack. ;-)

Not a bad idea! I've been keeping mine here and there (I have so many of them)...

One in my field kit, one in my bench kit, one in my glove box...

gfdengine204 09-19-2008 10:41 PM

Use caution! I used to use that as a quick connect for my neck strap. Had a buddy maiden a plane, and he wasn't using my neck strap. The little doohickey got stuck in the right gimbals, and my buddy couldn't move the stick, causing the plane to go in. He cut the throttle as soon as he knew he had no control, so there wasn't much damage.....but still, if you use it, fine. If you are NOT using it, then remove it from the TX.

groundrushesup 09-19-2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead (Post 477984)
Not a bad idea! I've been keeping mine here and there (I have so many of them)...

One in my field kit, one in my bench kit, one in my glove box...

I must have a half dozen of them, but due to Murphy's Law, I can never find one when I need it... so i stash one in there. Every time I need to re-bind I pat myself on the back for being so smart lol

Straub 09-19-2008 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by constantCrash (Post 477975)

:D Thats the only thing I could come up with as well.

It's nice to know what its for, it was kinda bugging me! DOH! :silly:

I will definately put my bind plug in the battery compartment.

Thx Lieutenant Loughead & groundrushesup! :D

...and I will definately keep that in mind gfdengine204 <---interesting name whats it mean?

Attachment 78514

gfdengine204 09-19-2008 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Straub (Post 478026)
...and I will definately keep that in mind gfdengine204 <---interesting name whats it mean?

gfd = Geneva Fire Department

Engine 204 = my engine company.

The department and engine company I was on when I was a fireman. :)

Lieutenant Loughead 09-20-2008 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 (Post 477990)
Use caution! I used to use that as a quick connect for my neck strap. Had a buddy maiden a plane, and he wasn't using my neck strap. The little doohickey got stuck in the right gimbals, and my buddy couldn't move the stick, causing the plane to go in. He cut the throttle as soon as he knew he had no control, so there wasn't much damage.....but still, if you use it, fine. If you are NOT using it, then remove it from the TX.

Kev -- that's just crazy, man... I've never heard of that happening before... :o

Straub 09-20-2008 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 (Post 478034)
gfd = Geneva Fire Department

Engine 204 = my engine company.

The department and engine company I was on when I was a fireman. :)

:D oh ic, cool

rcers 09-20-2008 03:32 AM

It is NOT a neck strap release! It is FAR too small....

Per Spektrum It is to attach a bind plug!

Mike

groundrushesup 09-20-2008 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 478139)
It is NOT a neck strap release! It is FAR too small....

Per Spektrum It is to attach a bind plug!

Mike

Aha. Well, that being the case, who wants a bind plug floating around near the gimbals? Ask gfdengine204 what I mean. :p>

gfdengine204 09-20-2008 03:52 AM

Yeah.....

If that is truly what it is for......well, I can not see any good reason for it.

Sounds like someone justifying their job to invent stuff.....

rcers 09-20-2008 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by groundrushesup (Post 478160)
Aha. Well, that being the case, who wants a bind plug floating around near the gimbals? Ask gfdengine204 what I mean. :p>

Who says it needs to attach to the neckstrap area? :)

groundrushesup 09-20-2008 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 478206)
Who says it needs to attach to the neckstrap area? :)

Ahhh, the handlebar. Rgr. Sadly, I don't have any room there. That's where I keep my 5 lucky rabbit's feet and my Tiki god good luck charms.

:p>

Lieutenant Loughead 09-20-2008 06:27 AM

Interesting -- I've been using something similar (a PNY lanyard, acquired free with purchase of a flash drive) for well over three years.

I have had no problems at all. :)

rcers 09-20-2008 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead (Post 478253)
Interesting -- I've been using something similar (a PNY lanyard, acquired free with purchase of a flash drive) for well over three years.

I have had no problems at all. :)

Not worth dropping your expensive system. I actually put a bit a pressure down as I rest the base of my thumbs on the face of the TX. (I finger pinch on the sticks) So that adds weight.

Mike

Straub 09-20-2008 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lol, so are we in agreement as to what this thing was designed for?? You know, now that I think about it.....

Attachment 78596

I have two doohickey's. One came with the Spektrum neckstrap and has a metal ring to attach to the neckstrap. The other one came with my TX and has a different shape and no metal ring. I think we are actually talking about two different doohickey's :D

I wonder what that little cord is made out of....it's stronger than it looks.

Sir Raleigh 09-20-2008 08:18 PM

So, now I guess you're talking about a doohickey and a hickeydoo?

groundrushesup 09-20-2008 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh (Post 478422)
So, now I guess you're talking about a doohickey and a hickeydoo?

The technical terms are as follows: Doohickey 1 and Doohickey B

Sir Raleigh 09-21-2008 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by groundrushesup (Post 478445)
The technical terms are as follows: Doohickey 1 and Doohickey B

Darn... I knew I had my Doos and Hickies turned around upside down and backwards. Now I have to turn myself inside out to come about to the correct port of call.

Lieutenant Loughead 09-21-2008 11:22 PM

Maybe it's a doohickey and a yekcihood?

phupper 09-22-2008 12:11 AM

Couldn't they just build in a SPST micro switch with a recessed button for binding? Seems more advanced than a plug you could lose.

groundrushesup 09-22-2008 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by phupper (Post 478949)
Couldn't they just build in a SPST micro switch with a recessed button for binding? Seems more advanced than a plug you could lose.

I think they make the bind process so deliberate to avoid even the most remote possibility that it could happen without user input - like the launch key on a nuclear sub lol

Originally Posted by RTF Jeff
Dear Spekutrm,

OMG mah plain went invertid an my lippo liek totally slid up and totally hit ur bind swetch liek yoo owez me a new funjet cause I'm guna sue.

- l33t flyar