WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Covering material (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81159)

superdave62 12-12-2020 02:49 PM

Covering material

What covering material do you like to work with? I've only used TopFlte Monocote. Pros and cons of other materials would be appreciated.

Panther 12-12-2020 10:44 PM

I have been using exclusivly Hobby King film. It is one of the best and stays tight. I have several planes years old and it is still tight as a drum, however the purple on one gliders wings has faded a bit but still looks good. I really think it is the best value film.

firemanbill 12-13-2020 03:36 PM

I like ultracote, especially the park lite stuff for gliders.. I use Monokote as well.

The biggest differences I encounter is that ultracote seems to be easier for me to work around corners and such, however it does not hold up well to glow fuel if you are flying that as well. It works great on electrics though. UC does seem to wrinkle a bit and require some reheating form time to time to get it tight, more so that I find with MK.

yorcram 12-23-2020 04:07 PM

i like solartex, but my stash has run dry, not sure what I will replace that with

The Professor 08-25-2021 12:04 AM

I use easycoat

Ha, that title sounds like I know what I am talking about.

I have just made and covered my first plane. So I looked for something cheap enough for me to make mistakes with. The model shop sell rolls of seconds, so I can buy 10mtrs for less than 2mtrs of either perfect material or other brands.

It seemed quite nice once I got the temperature right. The flaws are not material flaws, but colour patching, as I painted the model, this was not a concern.

It took a while to get the shrink temp right, and my next plane will use the same covering.athough I want to create a fabric effect of the next one to match the vintage of the plane.... Will see how that goes. I shall return and post pictures of that.

AEAJR 08-25-2021 03:48 PM

I have used a variety of coverings over wood and foam. They all work. I have used Monocote and Ultracote more than the others but can't say I have a favorite.

E-Challenged 10-05-2021 11:58 PM

Ultracote Parklite, for small electric powered models. Does not curl back and stick to itself while separating from backing, easier to separate from backing than other "lite" coverings.

solentlife 10-06-2021 01:39 PM

With the demise of Solarfilm - that means Solartex is no longer ..... one of the best 'fabric' style for WW1 etc.

Looks like I'll be going back to 'nylon + dope' for wood jobs ... 'nylon + pva' for others.