WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26501)

Fly Time 01-17-2008 08:55 PM


Originally Posted by gfdengine204 (Post 340023)
Doug,

For the power system I am using (TowerPro 2712-12 with 12A ESC from HeadsUpRC), Jeff's tests show on 2S this particular prop pulls 6.5 amps while producing 12oz thrust and a pitch speed of 17mph. So amp-wise, I am good to go.

Jeff's a good person to buy from! Sounds like all you have to worry about is keeping the prop out of the basketball hoop net :D

gfdengine204 01-17-2008 08:57 PM


Originally Posted by D Payne (Post 340026)
Jeff's a good person to buy from! Sounds like all you have to worry about is keeping the prop out of the basketball hoop net :D

Yeah no lie.....I never did hit the basket, I panicked when I was headed for it, chopped the throttle and she flew like a brick.....(get it? brick? basketball? lol)

Fly Time 01-17-2008 09:01 PM


Originally Posted by gfdengine204 (Post 340027)
Yeah no lie.....I never did hit the basket, I panicked when I was headed for it, chopped the throttle and she flew like a brick.....(get it? brick? basketball? lol)

Hopefully the title of your next video is not "Nothing but Net!" :Q

gfdengine204 01-20-2008 02:09 PM

Well, I got her flying, and the new prop works very well. Too bad I had another encounter with a backboard, this time actually hitting it.

Tore a small chunk outta the grille, which doesn't bother me, since I am planning on replacing the cowl later (I figure it's gonna take some more damage before I get good at it). But, the real bummer is the crash loosened the cabanes that were factory mounted in the fuse. I need to cut the rigging and take the wings off to fix that.:(

Hopefully I can fix it without too much ado......Any suggestions for doing so would be greatly welcome.

Before that, I had a too-close encounter with a BladeCX2 with a CF tail. Tore a hole in my lower wing, nothing that affects it though. Also tore the rudder off the fuse, but a little CA and that is back in working order. That, and in transit the rudder was damaged, but I had that fixed woth the CA as well. :rolleyes:

Grasshopper 01-20-2008 02:56 PM


Originally Posted by gfdengine204 (Post 341434)
Well, I got her flying, and the new prop works very well. Too bad I had another encounter with a backboard, this time actually hitting it.

Tore a small chunk outta the grille, which doesn't bother me, since I am planning on replacing the cowl later (I figure it's gonna take some more damage before I get good at it). But, the real bummer is the crash loosened the cabanes that were factory mounted in the fuse. I need to cut the rigging and take the wings off to fix that.:(

Hopefully I can fix it without too much ado......Any suggestions for doing so would be greatly welcome.

Before that, I had a too-close encounter with a BladeCX2 with a CF tail. Tore a hole in my lower wing, nothing that affects it though. Also tore the rudder off the fuse, but a little CA and that is back in working order. That, and in transit the rudder was damaged, but I had that fixed woth the CA as well. :rolleyes:

That's probably the first dogfight ever between a WWI bipe and a Heli.:D

gfdengine204 01-20-2008 03:12 PM

Yeah.....I am sure....

He ended up with a broken rotor blade....popped straight up on impact, was kinda cool looking, for a brief moment.....

Then I felt bad. :(

degreen60 01-20-2008 03:52 PM


Originally Posted by gfdengine204 (Post 341434)
I need to cut the rigging and take the wings off to fix that.:(

When you put the rigging back on do not run the rigging through the holes in the fuselage or the fuselage wing supports but instead cut thin pieces of plastic(I used litter pop bottle) and lay it the bottom of the top wing and top of the bottom wing. Now run the rigging throught holes in the plastic and you will be able to remove the wings without cutting the rigging. When I did mine I put plastic on both sides of the wings and run my rigging through the wing too. If you need I can take pictures of mine and attach here.

aviatordave 01-20-2008 04:39 PM

Your putting the jenny through some quality assurance :)

If you want a more durable bipe the same size, try the pico tiger moth. The wings are more robust and the plane will take more of a beating. The downside of the jenny is that it is so fragile.

gfdengine204 01-20-2008 05:38 PM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 341488)
When you put the rigging back on do not run the rigging through the holes in the fuselage or the fuselage wing supports but instead cut thin pieces of plastic(I used litter pop bottle) and lay it the bottom of the top wing and top of the bottom wing. Now run the rigging throught holes in the plastic and you will be able to remove the wings without cutting the rigging. When I did mine I put plastic on both sides of the wings and run my rigging through the wing too. If you need I can take pictures of mine and attach here.

If you could, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks; the idea sounds like a winner!

Originally Posted by aviatordave (Post 341510)
Your putting the jenny through some quality assurance :)

If you want a more durable bipe the same size, try the pico tiger moth. The wings are more robust and the plane will take more of a beating. The downside of the jenny is that it is so fragile.

A big part of my problem is my lack of experience; my buddy flew it fine, but he has been flying for years; me, I've only been doing it for a year. If I had more space I would be fine, but I am really restricted in the gym we have to use.

If we could get just a little warmer and no wind, I would take it out and fly it at the park.....

Do you think the Pico Moth would take whacking a backboard, then falling to the gym floor like a brick? :<: (It sucks, really, it's embarrassing.....the guys tell me it's all part of learning, but this particular part sucks.....)

degreen60 01-21-2008 01:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of how I put plastic on mine. The idea is not mine but the way I did it is differant from where I found the idea.

gfdengine204 01-21-2008 02:29 AM

Thanks degreen60. Good idea!

BradT 01-21-2008 04:36 AM

I took mine to the field today for it's maiden, but it was much too windy to try something that light, and expect it to survive! I took my MM MiniFlash up, and it got blown around pretty badly, so I figured the Jenny wouldn't stand a chance. Oh well, maybe next weekend.
Brad.

billintn 01-24-2008 02:57 PM

JN4
 
HI Guy's Question on the Jenny re: dihedral. Can't find reference in the manual. Mine has almost none, looked through the thread, but what would you advise for stability and smooth turns? BTW the formation video was awesome! Jenny races anyone!?
thanks, Bill

Fly Time 01-24-2008 03:31 PM


Originally Posted by billintn (Post 343701)
HI Guy's Question on the Jenny re: dihedral. Can't find reference in the manual. Mine has almost none, looked through the thread, but what would you advise for stability and smooth turns? BTW the formation video was awesome! Jenny races anyone!?
thanks, Bill

The E-Flite Jenny doesn't have a lot of dihedral, but as you point out it does need some. Any 3-channel (rudder turning) plane needs it to bank in turns.

Sitting on the ground, measuring from the leading edge, my Jenny measures 3" ground to lower wing at the fuselage, and 4" ground to wing at the tip. It flies great that way. Hope that helps.

billintn 01-24-2008 05:06 PM

Thanks DPayne, I'll set mine up that way. I thought needed some.
Thanks again, Bill

aviatordave 01-24-2008 06:14 PM

Hey Bill...

I got your PM, I didnt put any in either but wish I had. Another guy I fly with used the flying wires to put dihedral into the wing - with some pull they will bring the bottom wing up.

The other bipe (SE5a) has enough dihedral in it and turns a lot better than the jenny does.

billintn 01-24-2008 07:18 PM

Well, I took D Payne's advice. Set mine up with appx. 3/4 " each side. Pulled it up with rigging wires so upper and lower wings same. So now just waiting for wind to die down. Thanks for the advice guy's.
Bill

aviatordave 01-24-2008 08:56 PM

well good luck!

Did you beef up the rudder horn area?

or the wheels?

billintn 01-24-2008 09:20 PM

JN4
 
1 Attachment(s)
Dave, Yes I made quite a few mods. Some from this forum and some from old fuel days. Reinforced the rudder w/ 1/32 ply, Rebuilt the firewall to mount my motor, added 1/16 ply to reinforce gear mount. Used plastic tabs to mount rigging wires so can remove wings if needed. Added plastic sheet buttons to support screws mounting wing. Can't wait for wind to die down. Don' have an indoor place around here.
thx, Bill

BTW- Wife loves to buy my shirts, so I save all the clear plastic pices around the collar, and the round head pins. Always handy for windsheilds, reinforcement for screws thru foam,, etc. Little thicker than soda bottle. Also save those "you are pre-approved" credit cards to cut up for control horns etc.

BradT 01-28-2008 06:18 AM

I finally got to maiden my Jenny this afternoon. The day started out with a late season snowfall, about 6", very rare for this late in the winter around here, but by late afternoon, the skies cleared, and the air was dead calm. It was too late to drive the 20Km. to the club field, so I went to the elementary school a few blocks away for the flight. Hand launch, of course, since the snow was 4 times deeper than the wheels ::o, and she climbed out steeply at full power. I throttled back to 1/2, and still climbed, so trimmed in some down el., followed with enough rudder trim to stop the gentle left turn she insisted on following. Once trimmed out, I flew about 5 min. of slow circuits to admire her in the sky, then got a little altitude, to try a loop, which went very smoothly, then several attempts at a rudder roll, which were mostly very ugly! I finally got a roll out of her, but won't try that very often:red:. Several more loops, all pretty decent, then a few low, slow passes to judge landing setup, and finally a gentle plop into the snow at my feet. In all, about 12 - 14 min. of flight. Once back at home, the 800mah 2S went on the charger, and took 551mah to fully top up. I'm very pleased with the overall flight envelope, and look forward to try r.o.g. and touch 'n' goes on dry ground. I didn't try any yank'n'bank turns, so didn't really get a feel for how small a space I could fly her in, but a few more flights should give me a clue on that.

A great little model that does just what I expected.:tc:

Brad.

billintn 01-28-2008 11:06 AM

Brad, Congratulations on the successful maiden. Makes me really look forward to getting mine out. Bill

gfdengine204 01-28-2008 01:10 PM

Brad,

Sounds great! Yesterday woulda been good for me, but 1) I was working, and 2) Jenny needed some fixin'. Oh well.

Glad to hear you had good flights!

BradT 01-29-2008 05:26 AM

The only negative I found from the 1st flight was that the rigging was slack after landing. A few hours later, back in the warm shop, it was taut once again. I guess that the freezing temp. during the flight allowed a little stretching, which tightened up again in the warmth of the house.

Doug, Bill, regarding dihedral, mine measures 3" at the lower wing l.e. at the fus., and 3.75" at the l.e. tips. The upper wing is similar, 9" inboard, and 9.75 at the tips. It probably could use a little more, then it might roll with some authority, instead of dropping dramatically, while almost not coming around from inverted, when I tried rolling. Stall turns seemed fine, though; looks like the rudder has enough bite.

Brad

BradT 02-04-2008 04:45 AM

Got a couple more flights in this afternoon, and find the flight envelope to be better than I expected. Most flying is at less than 1/2 throttle input, and the model really jumps when the stick is shoved to full. I did manage a few decent rudder rolls, and got a handle on flying it low and close. The second flight, I tried a t 'n' g off the frozen crust on the snow, and was so pleased with how it looked, I continued doing them till the LVC pulsed the throttle! Fortunately, the pack still read about 7.2V, and took 699 mah to fully charge, so the LVC seems to be set high enough to protect the pack from forgetful old guys like me. I like this model more every time I fly it. :-)
Brad.

gfdengine204 02-04-2008 01:29 PM

Sounds great Brad! I am waiting for some calm winds (and an open schedule) to take my Jenny outside and give her some room to stretch her wings.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:49 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.05042 seconds with 7 queries