WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

scalercflyer 10-14-2007 04:29 AM

Look!

Look what I just won Boys!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSJ7&P=7

I must be sick!! Too many airplanes!:D Hmmmm..... with a couple of German crosses and machine guns.......Martin

WWI Ace 10-14-2007 05:37 AM

From what I've read in the magazines that is a fast little airplane Martin!! But it's supposed to fly well!!! Steve.

degreen60 10-14-2007 08:24 PM

I found a Thomas Morse Scout and a DFW free paper airplane Adobe files. I have a program that will enlarge and tile them. I hope I can print them and glue to foam to make a full fuselage plane. I have a lot of pink FFF but having troubles bending it.

robinairerc 10-14-2007 09:29 PM

Hi 50+. OK, y'got me! What the devil is that first one?? Looking at nose, I thought "Pfalz", but the long wings and dual horizontal tail surfaces got me!! Lee W. Palm Beach

WWI Ace 10-14-2007 11:57 PM

Hey Degreen60 have you tried a heat gun on it? Not right up close but maybe a short distance away. I know that guys are curving Depron foam that way. Steve.

scalercflyer 10-15-2007 01:20 AM

Plane

The plane with the twin tales is a WWI German Hannover observation plane. :) martin

Spoonwasher 10-15-2007 01:49 AM

Some guys have filled the bath tub with really hot water, use rubber gloves and this can help. I also use the heat gun but my wife's hairdryer worked on ff but carefull with the heat gun. Another tecnique I used a 1-2in copper pipe, heat the pipe with heat gun, then heat and wrap or warp around the pipe.
Another method i`ve used is to get a rolling pin place ff on a rubber pad then roll the ff compressing the ff into a curve. This will work for gentle curves etc.
3rd way may be to score the underside of the surface you want to curve with a ball point pen, about 1`4in intervals and gently bend the surface.You can also score the underside with a hobby knife to produce the same effect.
Good luck and try a few differnt ways on scraps.
Don
????

50+AirYears 10-15-2007 03:17 PM

Robin, that's a Hanover CL-12. Two seat fighter. Apparently came out a few months before the end of the war.

The builder rarely uses kits, and even fewer ARFs. He frequently scales his subjects up from 3 views, or from plans for smaller planes. This last Sunday, he maidened a brand new Nieuport 28. Small for him, only about a 7' top wing.

WWI Ace 10-16-2007 03:49 AM

I bet that Nieuport 28 is impressive!! Put the top wing and landing gear on my tripe. Pulled aileron pull-pull strings through fuselage and connected to servo. Put some small balsa blocks under the top wing to keep the ailerons from deflecting too far down. This virtually eliminates adverse yaw!! The planes not perfect, but it's decent looking. I guess that is part of kit building. They never turn out as perfect as you would like! But I did build it myself from a short kit so I feel like I can take pride in building it myself!! Steve.

scalercflyer 10-17-2007 02:31 AM

Good show!

Way to go Steve! :D Hold you head up high Buddy! Few of us in this hobby can boast we have built a kit(s). I'm glad we're not a bunch of no build ARF weenies. :D Oops...sorry I forgot I bought a couple.... :o Martin

WWI Ace 10-19-2007 02:34 AM

Okay boys she's all done!! Well I say done. I left the bottom of the fuselage uncovered in case I need to adjust any pull-pull lines and also to try and get some pics this weekend of the inside. I also have a little touch up painting to do. I think it looks pretty good for an amateur build. I promise that I'll get better!! I'm just happy to see it finished!! Now I have a 35"ws Fokker tripe I need to get built!!! Too many cool planes, too little time!!! What are you guys working on? Steve.

Biplane Murphy 10-19-2007 05:41 AM

I have a Dr1 and a flying Dragon on the build table....no energy or time to work on them....the puppies I am raising that I haven't sold yet are wiping me out.... boy do they take a lot of time and energy....

NJ Georgee 10-19-2007 02:26 PM

Im trying to get my tri wingy going

3 Attachment(s)
I cut out the cockpit so I can detail it before assembly. This is a polks hobby arf. I also removed the motor mount ,Im going with a 0.10 fox engine.I will have update pics soon.I wanted to recover the plane But I dont have the energy.

Tucson Don 10-19-2007 05:36 PM

Old designs fly better

It is great to see interest in the WW-1 era airplanes. The slab-sided
fuselages and big wing areas make for good building and better
flying. In particular I prefer them for flat foam board construction.
I have an old English Veron kit for a Fokker D-8 that I want to build
using foam. And a plan for a Consolidated PT-1 that used a Hisso engine. On my bench is a foam Bristol Scout that looks perfect for
park flying. It has a 40" wingspan. So many good airplanes to choose from.

WWI Ace 10-19-2007 07:05 PM

Hey Georgee I have one of those Polks tripes. They're good flying planes and very strong. It is nice to see more people interested in WWI planes. I really enjoy flying them as well as watching them fly!! Steve.

WWI Ace 10-20-2007 09:41 PM

Hey guys check this out!! Go to http://www.arizonamodels.com/videos.php and click on 1/3 triplane danger. I'd hate to be that guy!!! Steve.

FlyingMonkey 10-20-2007 10:01 PM

If you would, describe it for me. I was able to download the file, but it is not recognized by my Mac...

Biplane Murphy 10-21-2007 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 292602)
Hey guys check this out!! Go to http://www.arizonamodels.com/videos.php and click on 1/3 triplane danger. I'd hate to be that guy!!! Steve.

Windows media player wouldn't let me play it.....

BradT 10-21-2007 04:05 AM

It's a RealPlayer file, you need to download RealPlayer. The clip shows the huge tripe on approach, then just as the wheels touch down, the model nails the cameraman lying on the runway, filming the flight! An obvious lack of communication between the pilot, flightcrew, and film crew:red:
Brad.

WWI Ace 10-21-2007 04:58 AM

You got it Brad!! Nobody seemed to be paying attention. They're lucky that someone wasn't badly hurt!!! Steve.

MaxHeadspeed 10-21-2007 05:07 AM

Guys yooz gotta check the WWI models.

http://www.guillow.com/GuillowHome.asp?UID=4730155

WWI Ace 10-21-2007 11:24 PM

Those little Guillows planes can be converted to RC but it takes some work. Could be worth it though!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy 10-22-2007 02:39 AM

Have you guys seen this?..... I can't wait for it to come out!!!

scalercflyer 10-22-2007 02:46 AM

RB movie

YEAH BABY!!!! I'm going to see this film several times! You can bet your last servo on that Boys!!!! Martin

Biplane Murphy 10-22-2007 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 293157)
YEAH BABY!!!! I'm going to see this film several times! You can bet your last servo on that Boys!!!! Martin

Exactly..... I'm not sure when it is to be released.....I usually wait till movies come out on DVD, but I may have to go to the theater for this one.:)

FlyingMonkey 10-22-2007 03:02 AM

I checked out the website...

I do not think I will like the "hollywood" version of this story.

They add quite a bit of drama and politics where I do not think there was...

(release date of Feb 2008, in Germany.)

Biplane Murphy 10-22-2007 03:03 AM

Hmmmmm another trailer....

FlyingMonkey 10-22-2007 03:17 AM

Not that I won't be going to see it on the big screen.

The flight scenes look AWESOME in the trailers...

Biplane Murphy 10-22-2007 03:23 AM

Yeah.... they better release it here in the U.S......I don't want to go to Germany to see it....:eek:

FlyingMonkey 10-22-2007 03:27 AM

I put myself on the mailing list.

WWI Ace 10-22-2007 04:41 AM

I gotta see that one too!! I took my little tripe to the clubhouse today to show off my work. They said, "It looks nice but it's too small!!" I fired back with, "What have you guys built?" None of them build. They fly ARFs. They are for the most part against electric anyway. They still think of electrics as "toys". They're gonna be in for a shock in a few years when glow motors become dinosaurs!!! Steve.

FlyingMonkey 10-22-2007 04:45 AM

You should have said...

(too small) for your old eyes maybe.

scalercflyer 10-22-2007 04:51 AM

Remark

Or you could have said (like I do) BIG and small I fly them all, what about you? :D Martin

FlyingMonkey 10-22-2007 12:12 PM

not so good of news guys....

here is the reply I got about the US release of the movie...

Dear Fred,

thank you very much for your email and your request. the movie will be released in Germany most likely in spring 2008, the international release is not fix yet.

All best,

Carolin

WWI Ace 10-22-2007 07:04 PM

That's not cool!!! I am talking to Arizona Model Crafters about having a kit made of a 1/5th scale Fokker tripe. I have to call him back tomorrow to see if he can also get a cowl for me. Steve.

WWI Ace 10-23-2007 07:03 PM

Where did everybody go??? Steve.

BUCKSHOT 10-23-2007 07:15 PM

Anyone Got A Lanier Dvii Or Se5a ? AND WILL A PARK 400 WORK FOR THIS PLANE?

Geoffrito 10-24-2007 02:33 AM

whoa, that movie looks cool! The flight scenes look awesome, if a bit......accelerated?
My only criticism is the british planes! all gone....oh the horror!!!!!!

kensp 10-24-2007 03:44 AM

A 1/6 Scale Depron SE5a.

I am slowly working on a 1/6 scale Depron SE5a. This model will weigh less than 30 oz but because the flying wires will be structural I do not anticipate any problems with the strength of the structure. Top speed should be 20 mph. This is a bit faster than scale speed but not much. The model is designed as a park flier so it will not be fitted with ailerons. At 20 MPH ailerons will probably be more trouble than help in maneuvering the model. The SE5a design has a lot of dihedral so I plan to use then scale dihedral angles. Sorry no photos as the Attach File option is not functioning. Here is my build thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=2#post8415444 Ken

WWI Ace 10-24-2007 04:26 AM

It's about time someone got on here!!! We gotta keep this thing going. Where's Martin and Murph!! They know EVERYTHING about WWI aircraft. Steve.