WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

scalercflyer 04-05-2006 04:39 AM

Cockpit coaming

Hey Ron, I just noticed the cockpit coaming on the Fokker. It looks like leather. Tell me how you did it. I'm lovin' the job you did on the rotary engine. :cool: A bit labor intensive, but well worth the effort in my book. :) I may do a rotary engine on the foamie tripe as well. :D We are all looking forward to the flight report. Keep 'em flying. Martin

Ron 04-05-2006 06:23 PM

Martin...thank you for the kind words...The motor was not really a chore...I just treated it as another model, and it's surprising how fast it went....the cockpit coaming is a " trade secret" , but I will share it with you here......it's actually automotive wiring cover...you know, the plastic ribbed type that's already split to go over the wire.... dirt cheap, and weighs practically nothing....the only drawback....it's only available in black. From a distance, it looks reasonably good, and I've found most guys
just look at the overall impression anyway, so it works..Like my daddy used to say " if you can't dazzle 'em with brains and workmanship,
baffle em with bu-----t " . looking forward to seeing your triplane when do the pictures arrive?? huh huh??

Ron 04-06-2006 10:39 PM

Anyone know where i can find information on jasta6?

WWI Ace 04-07-2006 01:40 AM

What do you need to know Ron? Both Martin and I have alot of books and he knows many websites with information. You can also go to www. aerodrome.com and click on links. You might find what you need there. Steve.

scalercflyer 04-07-2006 05:32 AM

Jasta 6

Ron what are you looking for? Let me know. Martin

Ron 04-07-2006 08:10 AM

Thanks guys......what I was looking for was EV 153/18
that's the one I have modeled ( or tried to model ) It was flown by
Richard Wenzl apparently, both he and the plane survived the war....he died in 1957 oh yes he had 12 victories to his credit. Jasta 6
I'm still poking around to see if I can find out what happened to the plane after the war.
bonus for me...when I was searching I came across pilot for my DR1...it's 147/17 flown by Ludwig Keseling......not an ace....no iron cross...no blue max......but he survived the war :-) Jasta 10

scalercflyer 04-08-2006 05:13 AM

Sander

Hey Guys, Steve and I both purchased this power sander from Harbor Freight Tools (http://www.harborfreight.com) :) It is very nice for fine work and getting those angles accurate. :cool: The table tilts too. :D It sells for $24.99. 11,000 RPMS! Well worth buying!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...3799/43749.gif

scalercflyer 04-08-2006 05:22 AM

Reference website

Try this Ron. The last one is what you want. Martin

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/
http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/wenzl.html
http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Duc.../CP/index.html

Ron 04-08-2006 07:11 AM

YUP...that's the guy.....the model in the picture has incorrect colours for lozenge though. :rolleyes: ( at least according to my sources ) looking at all the pictures, and I think I have my next Fokker picked out...I already have the E1...E111...D V1...EV....and DR1...guess which is next??? I can gaurantee it will be one with lozenge all over it though :D It definitely won't be the dreaded dare I say it??? R-- colour. I had thought to do some other silly thing like a Pup, but I need a few more Fokkers to complete my " jasta" , and they go together so easily compared to the other models, and they fly really well. And I just plain like 'em.
Besides that...I'm partial to the big round cowl :p ..added to that the fact that I already have the tail feathers drawn up, I just need to draw the rest of the model to the right scale to fit the tail group......Nothing lazy about me eh? :D :p And...I can build all the feathers, guns, wheels,
dummy motor etc. before the drawings are finished too. So technically, I could start building it this weekend :eek: don't think it's gonna happen though...flying season is here, and I need to practise my " routine" we have an event on the 22nd of this month, and I don't want to embarrass myself too much. EV will do test frights by the end of April at the latest
I'm just trying to figger out how to weather it some, and get some oil streaks down the side and on the cowl....numbers go on after that, then it will be time to commit aviation with it.

Ron 04-08-2006 07:19 AM

Neat lookin' sander......24.95 is a great price too ! ( even if it is US dollars ) But you guys are getting entirely too technical for me....you would laugh if you saw my " shop" ........razor blades, zona saw...razor plane ( home made) couple olfa knives, home made balsa stripper, dremel. and a handful of sand paper. Oh yeah and a couple of paint brushes. Somewhere is an airbrush that I got for 5 bucks at a swap meet, but I've never used it because I have no air supply. That sander sure is tempting though....
when I grow up, I'm going to get all the tools, THEN I will be able to build some really neat stuff....I'm not pokin fun at you guys.......I mean it.

ENUT 04-08-2006 01:58 PM

Ron do some looking around on this web site,http://www.theaerodrome.com/ It is the MECCA of W.W.I;) Also look for post by Dan San Abbot (spelling maybe off) he is one of the worlds leading authoreties on W.W.I. aircraft.He should be abell to help with your color scheme.
ENUT;)

WWI Ace 04-08-2006 04:48 PM

Hey Ron!! I'm not skilled enough to build like you without "cheater" tools. By the way Martin, used the disc sander the other day. It works great!!! You're gonna like it!!! Steve.

Ron 04-08-2006 04:53 PM

Thanks ENUT...I have the scheme already, I verified it a couple years ago when I built the " little" EV.....I was looking for the pilot's name ...and Martin and Steve put me onto some sites that were pretty good...I will look for Dan as I " cruise the net" I am starting to look for information on the next project, and everything helps. It sometimes takes a while to get information together, so I like to start at the beginning. That way when I'm to the part regarding colour etc, I'm ready to go.

Ron 04-08-2006 05:10 PM

Steve...they're not cheater tools ..they just make things easier and faster to do. As you well know, if you can't build already, they won't help you at all...
( except to make a mess faster ) . I'm all for helper tools, I just never seem to have the opportunity to buy one, and learned to build with a minimum of tools, because when I was a kid, I wanted to spend money on models not tools....I did some pretty tough ( bad) looking models in my past, but as I progressed they got slowly a little better each time.
It also made me a little more resourceful when it comes to figuring things out....... 24.95 is a great price but we here in the great white north are faced with duty 35% GST 7%.... local tax 71/2%.....exchange....15%....shipping.....25.dollars. ......looks like close to a hundred dollars here in the middle of nowhere........ratz.....you guys get all the good buys. :-)

WWI Ace 04-09-2006 01:03 AM

Yeah Ron I know what you mean. I'm all about easier. I have limited time for projects so any time that I can save is to my benefit. Anyway, my wife bought the sander for me so actually it didn't cost me anything!!! Cool huh? Steve

scalercflyer 04-09-2006 02:22 AM

Sander

It's a shame Ron. :( All those taxes, etc. :mad: How's a Guy to have fun building? Well anyway.... What is your next Fokker? I have some scathingly brilliant ideas for you..... Martin :D :D Oh, by the way, you could always move south... we could always use another good scale flyer/builder...

Ron 04-09-2006 07:24 AM

Steve:....now you owe her big time !! :eek:

Martin....I don't mind doing things the old slow way....I do everything the hard way....just ask my wife.......we have three kids....and in answer to your next question....standing in a hammock old boy :D

I haven't made the final decision on the next Fokker....I would , under normal circumstances, probably build a D V11 next.. I think it's a very cool model, but My good friend Brad T
whom I go to the odd event with, and fly with when we can line up schedules, built one a few years back, and I wouldn't want to be labled as a copy cat...

Actually next model to be finished is one you likely don't have information on....it's a Boeing Totem.......The one I'm going to " represent" is one that was built right here in Vancouver Canada for the mail run up and down the west coast of Canada during the thirties. R.C.M.P. borrowed it occasionally when their plane was inoperable ( which apparently was more often than not ).....my father was RCMP on the coast....he flew in it, so I thought...it's a very obscure plane... and when an aquaintance of mine who is getting out of the hobby, offered me all the specs, pictures, drawings, and advertising brochures from Boeing, along with all the pieces he has built and collected, I figured it's a sign from above, I HAVE to finish this model. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing one before. man this is nuts...I haven't finished up the EV yet, and I'm already planning my next winter's project.
The Totem will be done by Aug at the latest, so I can fly it at our fall event which takes place partly at our float pond.
I would be interested in hearing any suggestions you fellows have on a model.... Martin...remember..the more obscure the better...it has to be a Fokker and it has to be WW1 preferably with a round cowl , and not rrrrrrrrrrrrrreddddddddd ;) Steve...I just said that about the colour to keep him calm :rolleyes: ...The D VI was practically unheard of when I built it a few years ago. How are your models coming along? shouldn't be too too long till they're done .....Martin,I just noticed you are from Jersey...I have a good friend who lives in New Jersey...he plays lead trumpet for the Metropolitan Opera....small world eh? He grew up here in Vancouver/Richmond B.C. area....I have one of his old cars stored in one of my barns for the last 6 or 8 years :rolleyes: gonna have to get him to come get it...it's taking up valuable airplane storage space :mad:

scalercflyer 04-09-2006 02:04 PM

Thanks

Thanks Ron! I really needed you to mention that color again! :eek: Well Buddy, I just happen to have a book called Fokker Aircraft of WWI. :) If I can't find you an obscure plane out of that book, I'll eat it. :eek: I'll bet one of those barns would make a nice workshop if converted properly! :D Tell us a little more about the meet you have each year. Sounds kinda cool. Texas has some weird events or so I am told. Something about rattle snakes... punching bulls.... throwing live rattlers at each other.... you know real family fun! :D All I can tell you is we don't have that kind of excitement here in NJ. Hmmmm.... maybe I should move South..... NOT! Martin

Ron 04-09-2006 06:33 PM

It's just a few of us from all over get together on Memorial Day Week end.

If the weather is good that weekend, we can expect any where from 40 to 60 pilots to show up.... since everyone brings pretty much at least 2 models each, there's lots to look at. people come from all over.....Washing ton State is our biggest attenders, but we have had fliers from Texas, Florida, Mexico, Japan, Germany, the East Coast of Canada and the eastern USA. we even get the odd one from locally :-) I have been hosting this event for the last dozen or so years.....officially it's supposed to be called the Chilliwack Memorial Day Electric Fly In, but the "regulars" just call it Ron's Fly in . it's very laid back, no competition, No real vendor participation, as I encourage them to kinda remain incognito. this allows them to come and enjoy themselves too...they get a fly in where they can just relax fly and have fun...people are surprised when they find out later that so and so from a certain company was here, for the weekend, and was just one of the regular guys having fun with everyone else. I don't tell vendors they're not welcome to set up shop, ( they are )...but once they see this is one where they can just relax and have fun, they mostly don't bother. Sometimes if everyone's schedule lines up, and the weather is really good, we can get over 100 pilots. We had 105 once....But the norm is 40 ish. We encourage everyone to come a day or two early, and stay a day or two after, so it is a week of fun...flying goes on from dawn til well after dark, with some of the heli pilots also doing night time routines for the enjoyment of all...Many camp on the field , which is encouraged, and they use it as a base for the family to go sight seeing for a few days while the fly in is on.....This is one of my favourite events, because of all the great people who make it happen...I supply the field, the date, and the camping...from there the participants have made it into a great weekend, and I have made some great friendships that I'm sure will last my whole life. If you ever can attend, we would be most happy to have you here for it.

Ron 04-09-2006 06:47 PM

Martin....forgot to mention that we have a trip to our private float pond Sat morning, and Sunday Morning for those who have float planes....it's far enough from the field, that we need not worry about frequency conflicts. There is always a thread on the other board about the fly in with lots and lots of pictures for all to see. couple years ago the "theme" was World War one models.....we did have a complete Jasta that year.Fokkers, Halberstadts, Junkers, tin donkey .....there were a couple of the obligatory SE5A models, a scout and a camel, but they were badly out numbered, and avoided dogfight situations....

WWI Ace 04-09-2006 09:59 PM

I think Martin was slamming me earlier about my younger days of bullriding!!! Oh well, just jealous I guess!!! You know how those Yankees are!!!! Steve.

Ron 04-11-2006 07:15 AM

Steve.....Seen that Bull riding stuff in real time....tough game.....it doesn't look the same on TV as when you're right there....not for me...I'll stick with my ponies thanks. Used to do a little team roping, but i'm getting a little old for it..( don't heal as fast as I used to ) .... got the motor mounted in the D V111 this morning, and made up the battery pack this evening....just have to finish the Battery tray and hold down...hook up speed control, and it will be time for test frights......I'm actually starting to get excited....

BradT 04-11-2006 07:38 AM

Boy, you didn't waste any time mounting that motor, Ron! You must be getting anxious, as it's only 1 day since I delivered it, and you were in the middle of tree falling at the time! I took the long way home, via Camp River Rd., Aggassiz, Harrison Hot Springs, and Mission, and Fran really enjoyed the drive. A great Spring day for that kind of outing.

BTW, one of the most busted-up guys I ever met was a half-Apache bull rider I worked with at OK Falls Ranch in about 1960; he was around 20, and had broken almost every bone that one can, and still walk!

Ron 04-11-2006 04:36 PM

Brad.....I had all the pieces cut for the mount already, but didn't have the exact measurement center to center on the shafts. We were correct though in thinking that the motor had to be mounted from the top side. Otherwise the Rotary motor would have had to come out of the cowl, and that WASN"T going to happen :D . Hopefully I'll be able to get it balanced soon, and we'll fly it on the 22nd....There was lots of room for 24 cells in the front end, and I'm going to try that first since I've got a bunch of 8 cell packs with no home. They were originally for the heli, but I've since gone to lithiums on it.

Ron 04-11-2006 04:44 PM

Dick should be back lurkin around here again soon .........his cataract operation was last thursday. I would think he should be back by now?
DICK......how are things going for you?? let us know.

WWI Ace 04-11-2006 07:04 PM

Yeah Ron, I rode for about 11 yrs. About got an eye put out, shattered my left elbow, cracked some ribs, and kissed one between the horns once and busted all my front teeth loose and had to get root canals to keep them!!! I guess not bad for as long as I did it! Team roping just wasn't exciting enough! Other than hanging your thumb in your dally and popping it off! Glad to here how well you're doing on your plane. Steve.

scalercflyer 04-11-2006 07:27 PM

Ru?

Steve RU home? I need to chat. Guys here is a nice website that talks about POLYSPAN. Well worth reading. Martin
www.faimodelsupply.com

max-nix 04-13-2006 02:07 AM

This address works better for Poltspan articles.
http://www.faimodelsupply.com/starline-polyspan.htm

scalercflyer 04-13-2006 10:14 AM

Thanks

Thanks Max! You are right! Sure works better than the one I listed. Not sure what happened when I copied the website address. :confused: Max would you be so kind as to tell us more about yourself? :) I see you were an B 29 A&P mechanic (I'm a former full time Auto Technician myself). I'll bet you have some stories to tell. Of course I understand if you chose not to. Also WELCOME to our little thread! :) I happen to think it's the best one. :D Martin

Ron 04-13-2006 04:37 PM

welcome aboard Max. Hope you enjoy participating in this forum with the rest of us AOB's :-)....hope to see you in here lots
Ron

Ron 04-13-2006 04:52 PM

Forgot to mention....I finished installing the motor and flight batteries in the EV last night. Yippee...it balances right on the designers suggested C of G......in fact it's just a little nose heavy. Boy I hope he knew what he was doing when he drew this thing up :-) Just have to plug in the receiver, and install the receiver battery, bolt the prop on, and I can test fly it. then if it goes ok, I can carve a prop, do the prop mount plate, and then ...........................Brad....more ointment.

scalercflyer 04-13-2006 07:39 PM

Maiden test flight

Well Ron, I don't know about you but everytime I go to maiden a new aircraft, my eyes water, my knees and my hands shake! :eek: Sure am anxious to hear about the flight. Ron, just remember when you are inverted, up is down and down is up and you will be OK!! ;) Next to the DRI, the DVIII/EV is my favorite German aircraft. I like the simplicity of the design, ease of construction, etc. :cool: Before you fly her, how about some pics (PLEASE) for your Buddies here in the States? :) BTW, the inverted flying sentence is good advice for you Texican Rebels types... Oh and contrary to common belief, the South will not rise again (you lost!)! Put that in your pipe and smoke it Steve!! Martin

Ron 04-14-2006 12:20 AM

this one won't be inverted....at least not on purpose........
I kinda like the EV too it just LOOKS tough. Of course the round cowl didn't have anything at all to do with my choosing to build it again...now I can officially retire the little one :-)

Martin....how about a couple obscure Fokkers?? I really like the D V11, but since Brad has one already, and it doesn't have a round cowl, ........I once saw a picture of a Fokker twin boom twin engine plane that predated the P 38, but that is from a different era altogether, so wouldn't exactly be my first pick. I'm thinking to kind of keep it in numerical order...DR1...D V1.. D V11 ( Brad's).....D V111.....
maybe we can find like a D11, or a D 1V, or possibly a DV...or did they ever build a D1?? one other pre-requisite....can't be totally..rrrrrrrrrrrreddddd either. hopefully one with all the tiny little coloured hexagons on it...I just love doing that scheme. I must have a screw loose or something, but I really enjoy the painting part. I already have a built up D V111 wing, so If I could use it on something else, that would be really neat...look at all the time I'd save on the build. ...any Ideas?? Far as the maiden frights go, I treat the maiden just like any other flight...it's just the first one. of hopefully many more to come. I used to get really sweaty and shaky, but that takes too much energy, and since I'm basically lazy, I don't bother any more. hopefully I'll get it finished up for Sunday or Monday evening, and yes there will be some pictures for you.

WWI Ace 04-14-2006 12:27 AM

You guys and your Skittles candies paint schemes!!! Ron, good luck on your maiden. You've been flying so long that maidens probably don't bug you anymore! Martin, I'm not ACTUALLY from the South so much as from The National Republic Of Texas. Steve.

scalercflyer 04-14-2006 12:34 AM

Dv

Ron here's a DV.. more pics for you to come.. martin
http://www.3seabees.com/fokker/thumbs/fokker1-main.jpg

PS, of course you could always build this if you get bored.....
http://prophub.tripod.com/sitebuilde...ronaybike4.jpg

scalercflyer 04-14-2006 12:39 AM

Fokker DII

Peter Rake had a plan for the Fokker DII in F.S.M. March/April 2000, 36" WS, geared 400. Maybe you can get a hold of a back copy of the magazine. I'll check my stock, but I don't think I have a set of plans for it. Martin

Ron 04-14-2006 12:47 AM

Martin...that looks like the three sea bees ARF...they're about 3/4 of an hour down the pike from my place...never been there, but have been threatening to go for some time now. sure would be nice if I could use that EV wing on something.....it's not a scale airfoil...I used the Selig 7055 on it...that's a great one to use on electrics...nice and thin...glides great . I have Pete's plan for that D 11 , but for some reason was never turned on by the plane....we collaborated on a model or two some years ago........my method was much lighter to build, but his was much easier to assemble...and in the end works about as well....I think we each got some good ideas from it, I know I did. He certainly has lots of great plans available...I unfortunately don't have the time or inclination to be as dedicated as he is...guess it has to do with wanting to eat or something, so I have to work. I think he is basically retired, and is doing something he just loves to do. One day God willing, I'll have the opportunity to follow suit.

ENUT 04-14-2006 12:57 AM

Check this plane out.This would make a nice addition to rons Jasta. He needs a Scout/Ground fire protection plane.Hannover CL II.Too bad it's a gas job:( I just bought a set of plans from bob holman for a Hannover CL III Drawn by Dereck Woodward;) .My problem is I want to enlarge them to 70"w.s.from 48".Anyhow check out the link.There is a nice build on the plane over a rcscalebuilder but you need to register to read forum.http://users.adelphia.net/~tmoth4/Ha.../hannover.html

Enjoy,ENUT.

scalercflyer 04-14-2006 02:46 AM

Another type

Ron, how about a nice Albatros DII-DVa? I have a set of 1/4 scale WE Technical plans that I hope to build before I die and grow my own wings! Sure is a nice plane. Or perhaps a Pfalz DIIIa. Notice I haven't mentioned anything about the OTHER side! I still need a little time to come up with something cool and unusual. Not a problem..... should be able to peruse the library either tonight or over the weekend. Von Martin

WWI Ace 04-14-2006 03:07 AM

Enut that is one ugly airplane!!! Would make a great model though. Very few people would know what is was! I have a 1/72nd scale model of that plane. I don't know how you guys find the time to locate all this stuff!!! Steve.