WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

Ron 03-16-2006 05:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OOPS Forgot the pic of the wing

WWI Ace 03-16-2006 07:08 PM

All I can think of to say Ron is WOW!!!! Great building. PLEASE post a video of this plane flying when you finish it. I think I've seen a video of that tripe flying before haven't I? Can you give us a website for the Max Cim motor? I would like to know more about it. Steve.

Ron 03-16-2006 07:53 PM

I think the DR1 video was posted on " the other forum " some time ago.
www.maxcim.com is the website for Tom's motors. I have been using them almost exclusively for my brushless setups for a few years now, and have found them very versatile and trouble free.

NJ Georgee 03-17-2006 03:09 PM

Nice to see outhers who like the old bipes

Now if I could only get one one that can fly,Ive been building The laser line by Guillows and each one I dream of installing controls.But last year I bought a bunch of blue arrow servos and they didnt work with any of the two receivers I tried them in.I thought for sure they would have worked in my Hytec 555 receiver,but nope. So now im in the market for a plane that would use all standard servos.If i can get a picture in my tread ,I will show you some of the planes ive built.http://007

ENUT 03-17-2006 03:54 PM

Ron,Fokker DVIII looking good;) .You plans? or someone else's? 80"?

ENUT

Ron 03-17-2006 05:16 PM

ENUT:....Thanks...it's 84" span.....My own plans. I'm one of these
frugal ( read real cheap ) modelers who tries to design and build them all myself right down to the prop.......Next winter, it may be a D V11, but it will definitely be a Fokker. I want to build one of every model of Fokker WW1 fighter...................THEN......I want one of every colour :-)

Rhondas 03-17-2006 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 53711)
ENUT:....Thanks...it's 84" span.....My own plans. I'm one of these
frugal ( read real cheap ) modelers who tries to design and build them all myself right down to the prop.......Next winter, it may be a D V11, but it will definitely be a Fokker. I want to build one of every model of Fokker WW1 fighter...................THEN......I want one of every colour :-)

:cool: yes I would like to see some pictures. heres one of my old spitfire.

Ron 03-17-2006 06:18 PM

Spitty is a great looking model I have always thought to build one, but each I have actually seen flies excellently, but is a bear on the ground.
and since I have not really gotten into the ground handling problem, it has sort of sat on the back burner for a few years. I wanted the first Fokker ( dr 1) so badly that when everyone said how bad they are on the ground, I thought I would design that out of my model which I did successfully, and although I know it isn't a true " scale" model no one at any event I go to seems to really care. I guess I'm picky, but I will NOT fly a model with bad habits of any kind..I will however keep taking it apart and changing it till it flies right. consequently I have to be pretty comitted to a model before I draw up plans and build it. The DR1 is now in it's 7th season and is still my all time fave scale model to fly. followed closely by the E 1, E 111, D V1, EV, and anything else with wings :-) How many more do I need for my own Jasta??

ENUT 03-17-2006 10:55 PM

Ron thanxs for the info.My self I still use plans.But I try to instill in my mind what you and Brad trent's philosophy, "BUILD LITE &LOW WING LOADING";)

ENUT

BradT 03-18-2006 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by ENUT (Post 53785)
Ron thanxs for the info.My self I still use plans.But I try to instill in my mind what you and Brad trent's philosophy, "BUILD LITE &LOW WING LOADING";)

ENUT

Enut, I learned that philosophy from the man you're talking to, Ron himself:D . While I was building my D VII, which was inspired by his DR I, he'd call me every few days and ask what the weight was at each stage of the build. I'd answer, and he'd say "Sand some more off!". I followed his advice, and am delighted with the result. I also occasionally get offered a flight of one of Ron's models, and always accept the chance, as they are great flying planes. I have many flights on his E III, and a few on the monster DR I, and love them both. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new D VIII in flight at the Spring fly-in, which is held at Ron's farm. Although I only live an hour away from there, I always take my travel trailer up for the weekend, and fly dawn-to-dusk. A wonderful way to spend a weekend!:D My new model for this year isn't nearly as ambitious as Ron's; I'm assembling an ARF (gasp) Tiger Moth, 51" span, from the Ripmax kit that I got a bargain price on at the Northwest Model Expo last month. Not quite WW I, but a scale bipe, nonetheless.
Brad.

Ron 03-18-2006 07:38 AM

Brad...I'm looking forward to seeing it hopefully before the fly in.
I stumped my " mentor" this week with a DeHavilland plane that he had never heard of and couldn't find any information on. I think we have a new set of plans coming up for a DH77 fighter trainer.
Oh I forgot to tell you when we were talking the other day that I found the left overs from the covering for the E 111, and there is ample to do the little repair needed... man almost 8 years I hung onto that stuff....never know when you might need it.

BradT 03-18-2006 07:36 PM

You've stumped me with that one too, Ron. No DH 77 appears in either of my supposedly comprehensive aircraft guides. You'll have to fill me in on that one. I'm glad to hear that you have the covering remnants to repair my "booboo" to your EIII.

Let me know when you're ready to maiden the D VIII, I'd love to be there.

Brad.

Ron 03-18-2006 09:14 PM

Won't be for a while yet...I am still playing with power options.
I'm wanting to use 6S lithiums, and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do it. Right now, I'm looking at the Eflite 60 motor and possibly with a reduction it will work out. If not, I'll see if I can get the Y wind to work...I'm leaning towards the Y if it can be hooked up to a suitable reduction. if that works, I can be at 11 pounds on 1170 sq. in of wing area which is about 21 oz/sq ft. This is heavier than I normally like, but the smaller one was about the same, and it flew just fine.....I said to heck with the wing loading on this one so that I could do a little more scale stuff than usual, including putting on the dummy rotary motor, sprung tail skid, and guns that are a little more detailed along with the mount step , air intakes,and other little things that I usually don't really get carried away with. The wing is done more to a scale outline than the original which added weight.
I used the 7055 airfoil on the original which is 10 1/2 % this one has a 17% airfoil to get the " right " look to it for the tapers. I also added some fairing around the forward section of the fuselage so that the roundness of the fuselage forward section is a little more pronounced. I also put in a top hatch in the fuselage for battery access which added a couple ounces, Fairings on all the L/G wires and struts, removeable wing struts, and well you know how the little stuff adds up.

stah 03-21-2006 07:48 PM

More "post" WWI (1919-20)

1 Attachment(s)
Have to change the wheels...........

:p

scalercflyer 03-22-2006 12:18 AM

Dvii

Nice, nice job on the Fokker, Stah.... and welcome to the best thread on WATTFLYER! Martin

scalercflyer 03-22-2006 12:20 AM

Thread for control runs

Guys, I picked up some Spyder Wire from Wally World, but the stuff is Monofilment. Can I use it for my control runs or do I need Kevlar thread? Can't seem to locate any. :mad: Martin

Ron 03-22-2006 12:30 AM

Stah.....Nice looking model...seems mostly the German stuff is what's modeled....maybe because it just outright flies better??? huh huh ??
Oops guess I better be watching over my shoulder after a remark like that eh?
Martin.....I have been using spider wire for controls for about three or four years on everything up to 1/3 scale, and have never had a failure or a stretch problem ( Yet ) ...only thing you have to remember is to use some thin ca on the knots or they WILL untie themselves.....you don't want to know how I came to be in posession of this information. Other than that I love it.

scalercflyer 03-22-2006 01:22 AM

Spyder Wire

Thanks for the reply Ron! :) I guess I did good then. :) I bought the 10 pound test as WWI Ace suggested. My foamie tripe is coming along just fine (I will post some pics this weekend). When I decided to do the pull-pull system, I studied my Fokker DRI reference book and tried to copy the exit position of the cables on the real one. When finished, it should be very cool. :cool: I'll post some picks as well of the pull-pull system. I also found a copy of my family Coat of Arms and copied them is various sizes till I found the perfect size for the side of my fuse. :D Another brilliant idea if I may say so. I, OF COURSE, will NOT make this tripe RED like some other people around here with no imagination would do (sorry about the soapbox Guys, I couldn't help it... it just came over me again)! The camo scheme I picked out will blow your minds!!! :eek: :D Martin

simibill 03-22-2006 01:25 AM

Kevlar

Sullivan makes a kevlar pull-pull set #521 includes 12 ft. of thread eyebolts and nuts, clevises, copper crimp tubes.

WWI Ace 03-22-2006 01:46 AM

Great model Stah!!! See Martin, I told you Spider Wire was good!!! Steve.

Ron 03-23-2006 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
simibill.....The spider wire is a lot more cost effective than the Sullivan pull pull " kit " , and the clevis and threaded coupler can be obtained very inexpensively from dubro if you wish to purchase them...all in all a roll of spiderwire ( enough for about a dozen 1/4 scale models) and all the bits from dubro for model one is less money than the Sullivan kit, and you have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. I think the hardware for my D V111 cost 6 dollars Cdn.. ( that's about 49 cents US isn't it ? ):D
Brad ...Martin...I finished the wheel retainers for the D V111 last evening, thought you might be interested....it's just like the large one with the threaded axle and castellated nut and retaining pin....Man I must be going nuts in my old age with this detail stuff....Brad have you got any of that purple ointment left?? I need it bad this year.:rolleyes:

scalercflyer 03-24-2006 03:57 AM

Wheels

Ron, you did a fantastic job on the wheels! :) This attention to detail is what makes the difference between an average build and a great one. :D I too have a set of plans for a large DVIII (69" WS, 2 1/2" to 1 foot scale). I hope to build it one of these days. :rolleyes: It is a plan from 1975 via Model Airplane plans. I even have the original build article! :D Please tell us more about the way you did the wheels, etc. Keep "em flying. Martin

scalercflyer 03-24-2006 04:06 AM

Camo scheme

Allright Boys! Tell me what you think about this camo scheme. I kinda like it! :D :D Opinions please! Also check out the other wild schemes on the site. martin

http://www.wwimodeler.com/esc/fok/st...udet-thumb.jpg

BradT 03-24-2006 05:59 AM

Wheel retainers look great, Ron. I managed the washer and Cotter key on the D VII, but not the fancy nut. Do you mean that you want some of my patented "know when to quit detailing" potion? Just get that thing out there and fly it!

Scalercflyer, definitely do that scheme!

Brad.

Ron 03-24-2006 05:52 PM

Martin: just came up with it when I was at the lawn mower shop to buy some blades for the ride on, and spotted the nuts in a parts bin...seventy five cents later I was on my way The blades weren't that cheap though:eek:
Took a die, and threaded the tube for the nut...spun it on, drilled the cross hole and, Bob's your uncle.:D
Brad:....you know what they say, a scale model is never really finished, you just get tired of working on it:p
I found out yesterday that the old ag rec center here in town was built during the war so that we could build wings here for the Consolidated Canso ( Catalina to you fellows south of the border)> The fellow I was talking to says he will get me pictures of the plant. Might be good documentation stuff for my Cat. Also ran into a source for all the info on the Boeing Totem which was built for the mail run up and down the B.C. coast. Sounds like I'm going to be receiving 3 views, advertising pictures, and a brochure from Boeing. My father was RCMP in Campbell River, and he flew on this plane several times when their regular plane was broken down. which according to him, was most of the time :p He also informed me that I was a passenger on it when I was a wee one.I'm so excited, I'm going to try to get it ready for the fall.You can expect a 72" model this time.
I know it's not WW1, but its " between them " , and it's an interesting one, since nearly no one could place it...even Bernard had a tough time with it.;)

Ron 03-24-2006 05:55 PM

Martin ..I forgot...re the DR1...I think it would probably look better in RED:D Likely a tough one to do as far as the forward part of the fuselage goes, but other than that probably no too hard....If I didn't already have a red one,:p
It should look awesome on a model...definitely do this one !

WWI Ace 03-25-2006 12:37 AM

Hey Ron. Martin has a medical condition called "Red Triplane Phobia" that keeps him from doing them in red. I think the actual medical name for this disease is, " No Redius Triplaneius" but I'm not sure!!! Your DVIII looks great!!! Just don't get so crazy with it that it becomes a hangar queen and not a flier!!! It would be a shame for people to not see that kind of workmanship. Steve.

scalercflyer 03-25-2006 12:58 AM

One of these days

One of these days Steve, you are going to get it and get it good! I guarantee it's going to be a bad one! :mad: :mad: :eek: Martin

BradT 03-25-2006 06:06 AM

WWI Ace, don't worry about Ron building a "Hangar Queen", it ain't gonna happen! His planes are built to fly, and fly they do. If the detailing started to impact flight, he'd start peeling the offending objects off, till it did fly right. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one in person, as all his other Fokkers, and the D VII he inspired me to build, are wonderful flyers, and always get lots of attention, even at predominantly glow/gas Big Bird and scale events that we've attended. If you're ever in this corner of Canada, you must come out to one of Ron's legendary Chilliwack fly-ins. There are a lot of really talented e-fliers, and builders, in the US Pacific Northwest, and Western canada, that make the trek to these events, and they're a treat for the eyes and an inspiration to improve one's own building and flying skills.
Brad.

Ron 03-25-2006 07:56 PM

Steve....around my shop, a hangar queen has never been.If it don't fly I don't know why I'd even bother to build it. They're built for go, not just for show. If it won't fly right, I'll spend all night making adjustments to it.
When I'm done with it if it flies like s--t I'll take it apart, and then I'll start to build it up again. It makes no sense to spend my pence on a plane that will not fly. it is insane to build a plane that is a " hangar queen"
So ther you go, and now you know what makes me do the stuff I do to make my models work. Most are say'n I'm plane insane, but it's just a silly quirk. Brad watch what you say, I might start to believe it :eek:
I don't want to get a swelled head, This will mean I'll have to buy a bigger hat, which won't do...you know I'm a cheap SOB :p

WWI Ace 03-26-2006 04:06 AM

Alright guysI just finished building all 3 wings for my Aerodrome 23 3/8" ws Fokker tripe. The way I look at it the hardest part of framing up a tripe is over. Will try to post some pics tomorrow. Right now I think I'll just relax and enjoy my handywork!!! Steve.

BradT 03-26-2006 08:20 AM

That's the idea, Steve, sit back and admire what you've accomplished so far, it gives one some encouragement to get on with the rest of it.:)
Brad.

scalercflyer 03-26-2006 09:35 AM

Good Show!

Good Show Steve! :D I'm happy to hear about the progress. :) I am waiting anxiously for the pics as well. How do you like the kit so far? Kurt's stuff is always top shelf. Should be a pleasurable and rewarding build. Martin

Ron 03-26-2006 05:42 PM

Steve...building the wings first seems the sensible thing to do..after all that's what the plane flies on :-) Time for a Bud and admire your handiwork for a while. when we don't set a " time line" for ourselves, that's when building is more enjoyable....equally as much as the flying.
oh I forgot to ask...what colour of red is it going to be ?

WWI Ace 03-26-2006 09:23 PM

I'm going to have to consult with Martin on the appropriate color of red. I have changed my choice of glue from CA to yellow carpenters glue because I had a hard time controlling the CA on the small structures. The yellow glue also gives me more time. This is a prototype kit so there are no instuctions. Now if I can just get the Polyspan figured out all will be well!!! Steve.

Ron 03-26-2006 11:26 PM

I like the weathertite carpenter's glue which is approximately the same as you are using....CA makes my eyes water, and I sneeze a lot when I have to use it. the carpenter's glue isn't really much slower to use, and it's actually lighter than CA. so you are also saving weight :-)

WWI Ace 03-27-2006 01:45 AM

Yeah Ron I really think that I don't lose that much time building with yellow glue. It's alot more "family friendly" too!!!! Steve.

Ron 03-29-2006 04:58 PM

Martin....what ever happened with the little model that you were going to put the hacker into this last winter??? .......I love mine, Brad has one, everybody needs one....:-)

Ron 03-30-2006 04:35 AM

Martin...Steve.....anybody....
I started to build a rotary motor for the front of the D V111, and I have the crank case and cylinders done,almost ready to assemble, but am looking for suggestions on how to do the cooling fins on the cylinders before I glue them on. anybody have any ideas??
I think it's going to be powered by an eflite 60 outrunner in a gearbox
(2 to 1 reduction) At 25 volts it should turn the prop shaft at 3700 rpm
with a 24X10 prop. Stall speed looks to be about 20 mph that gives me just about 2 times stall speed for max speed, but the thrust is about 1.5 to 1, so it should work ok.

dicknadine 03-30-2006 05:54 AM

cooling fins

assume that the cyl wall is balsa, why not make the fins 1/32 balsa, etc? rings are easy to cut out and glue on. dick