WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

degreen60 07-14-2010 05:08 PM

Hi everyone, my name is Don and I am a WW1 RC plane junky.
I got a large package in the mail this morning that really made my day. It was from TM4197 and contained the wreaked GWS Tiger Moth he said he would send me to make into a WW1 plane. When I opened the package the first thing I saw was a set of tail feathers but not for a Tiger Moth. The package also contained a wreaked foam Sopwith Pup. Now he really knows how to support my habit. THANKS TM4197.

TM4197 07-14-2010 09:06 PM

I am sure we all will see two great WW1 planes come from both wrecked TM and Pup. You always seem to amaze everyone with your ability to turn wrecks into a worthy aeroplane! GOOD LUCK!

BTW: The pup broke up in mid flight. I heard a crack, and then boom...the bottom and top wings exploded. No stress that I could see, was at half throttle straight and level. When you break her down ..look for maybe "Number 8 shot" :eek: I have a crazy lady close by that use to be a National Champion in clay pegeon competition. She just might be bored!

Can't wait to see what you make of them! [popcorn]

dbcisco 07-14-2010 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, ack-ack! Now that's realism.

TM4197 07-14-2010 10:35 PM

So, thats what all that Camouflage in her back yard is all about..emmmm.
Sounds like a recon flight (mit camera) is due. :concern:

degreen60 07-14-2010 11:08 PM

Wonder what she would do if my Night Fury flew over her place.

scalercflyer 07-15-2010 01:03 AM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 734669)
Hi everyone, my name is Don and I am a WW1 RC plane junky.
I got a large package in the mail this morning that really made my day. It was from TM4197 and contained the wreaked GWS Tiger Moth he said he would send me to make into a WW1 plane. When I opened the package the first thing I saw was a set of tail feathers but not for a Tiger Moth. The package also contained a wreaked foam Sopwith Pup. Now he really knows how to support my habit. THANKS TM4197.

Pics please your Royal Deness. I can't wait! Marty

degreen60 07-15-2010 01:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 734809)
Pics please your Royal Deness. I can't wait! Marty

You ask for it so here is what I got in the box. The Pup will stay a Pup, just don't know what paint scheme yet.

Now to start you thinking. I am looking at making the TM into a 2 seat bomber. It has swept back wings like the TM. But unlike the TM has reverse stagger. It mounts 3 guns and carries bombs under the wings.

scalercflyer 07-15-2010 02:37 AM

TM parts
 
Don, check here for spare parts on the TM. Marty

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V374132

degreen60 07-15-2010 03:10 AM


Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 734832)
Don, check here for spare parts on the TM. Marty

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V374132

I have ordered parts for GWS planes from them before. I do not think I need anyparts for the TM. I am going to cut off the front of the fuselage just back of the aft cockpit and build a new front. I may have to make differant tail feathers too. I really like my planes about 1/10 scale but this one is going to be about 1/14. I think it will fly on the same motor I am using in my Eflite Nieuport. I have a TM using this same motor.

7car7 07-15-2010 04:46 PM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 734823)
Now to start you thinking. I am looking at making the TM into a 2 seat bomber. It has swept back wings like the TM. But unlike the TM has reverse stagger. It mounts 3 guns and carries bombs under the wings.

I know you've got something else in mind, but my vote is for a SPAD 11 or 16. They had swept wings, no stagger, and 2 men. I would LOVE to make an 11 or 16 one of these days. The twin (or single) Lewis guns on a rear facing turret is just too cool.
And the TM wings are VERY close to the SPAD wings already.

degreen60 07-15-2010 05:14 PM


Originally Posted by 7car7 (Post 734929)
I know you've got something else in mind, but my vote is for a SPAD 11 or 16. They had swept wings, no stagger, and 2 men. I would LOVE to make an 11 or 16 one of these days. The twin (or single) Lewis guns on a rear facing turret is just too cool.
And the TM wings are VERY close to the SPAD wings already.



I had over looked the SPAD XI when I looked for a plane with swept back wings. My plans show a forward stagger to the top wing but not much. I may just make the SPAD XI instead of what I had picked out cause the plane will be closer in scale to my other planes. The plane I had picked out has the twin Lewis guns facing aft too. I think the first plane I ever built was a SPAD. Stick and tissue way back in the late 40s or early 50s.

degreen60 07-15-2010 05:56 PM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 734935)
I may just make the SPAD XI instead of what I had picked out cause the plane will be closer in scale to my other planes.

I did some more checking and the SPAD will not be that much closer to the scale I like using TM wings so I will stick with my original choise. Another hint, the plane will have roundals.

7car7 07-16-2010 05:52 PM

Samson?

degreen60 07-16-2010 06:14 PM


Originally Posted by 7car7 (Post 735161)
Samson?

No, next hint, has full length flaps on training edge of the bottom wing.

7car7 07-21-2010 04:42 PM

As promised, here's some pics of the carnage of my recent SE5a crash.

First, the historical photo...

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...ht/SE5aOld.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...t/67c83b19.jpg

degreen60 07-24-2010 09:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Its a misty morning as the Killer Bee waits to go on dawn patrol.

What really happened it is so hot and muggy the camera lens fogged up and I did not notice till after taking the first picture.

The Fokker is rebuilt and ready for test flight. I may test tonight after the temp drops to around 90 and my flight area is in the shade.

dbcisco 07-25-2010 04:06 AM

Degreen, you do better with scraps than I do with kits. Nice work. Enjoy the maiden.

degreen60 07-27-2010 02:47 AM

The Fokker DVIII is now flying good. I will soon make a paper-foam rotary motor that attaches to the bell on the brushless motor. With the cowl open on the bottom it needs the motor cylinders to fill the open gap.

scalercflyer 07-27-2010 02:59 AM

Excellent work De! Marty

WWI Ace 07-28-2010 12:53 AM

Cool D8!

Biplane Murphy 07-29-2010 05:34 AM

I am so VERY HAPPY, my friend Hillbille hooked me up with that GP Spad 13 !!!!!!!!!!!
I have been really wanting one since it came out!!

scalercflyer 07-29-2010 02:11 PM


Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 738044)
I am so VERY HAPPY, my friend Hillbille hooked me up with that GP Spad 13 !!!!!!!!!!!
I have been really wanting one since it came out!!

You Dog! Going over to the other side! :mad: Watch your six! I'll be there! :eek::D;) Marty

7car7 07-29-2010 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 738044)
I am so VERY HAPPY, my friend Hillbille hooked me up with that GP Spad 13 !!!!!!!!!!!
I have been really wanting one since it came out!!

All right - time for an intervention. I (we) don't recall hearing about your DRI flying experience.

????

Biplane Murphy 07-29-2010 08:58 PM


Originally Posted by 7car7 (Post 738126)
All right - time for an intervention. I (we) don't recall hearing about your DRI flying experience.

????

That is because it has not been flown yet, it looks so good hanging from the ceiling in the garage...LOL
Perhaps a bit of fear of destruction, and my house/flying field is not perfect for maiden flights. Hopefully soon it will be in the air.

7car7 08-02-2010 10:32 PM

Latest Bird
 
1 Attachment(s)
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56958

Nieuport 17.

dbcisco 08-02-2010 11:02 PM

I love details but I don't have the patience for it. It does make make me appreciate those of you who make such wonderful planes. My hat is off to you.

scalercflyer 08-03-2010 01:03 AM


Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 738180)
That is because it has not been flown yet, it looks so good hanging from the ceiling in the garage...LOL
Perhaps a bit of fear of destruction, and my house/flying field is not perfect for maiden flights. Hopefully soon it will be in the air.


SISSY! :eek::D;)

degreen60 08-03-2010 01:31 AM


Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 738180)
That is because it has not been flown yet, it looks so good hanging from the ceiling in the garage...LOL
Perhaps a bit of fear of destruction, and my house/flying field is not perfect for maiden flights. Hopefully soon it will be in the air.

It will look even better after a crash and a WW1 field repair.

dbcisco 08-03-2010 01:44 AM

Oh degreen, you just want him to crash so he can send it to you to turn it into a custom plane.:D

degreen60 08-03-2010 03:17 AM


Originally Posted by dbcisco (Post 739214)
Oh degreen, you just want him to crash so he can send it to you to turn it into a custom plane.:D

Shucks, now that he knows the truth he won't fly and crash it.

dbcisco 08-03-2010 03:33 AM

I think he should fly it. Safely landing a Dr.1 is a test of manhood.:D

degreen60 08-05-2010 02:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The Sopwith Pup is rebuilt and waiting on its gun, motor, and pilot.

wattman 08-05-2010 03:45 AM

Oh My , you can just drop that little beauty off here when you are passing thru ;)

That looks so great , and what paint did you use ? :)

Still flying my Sopwith Pup , very early in the AM , and late PM , at sundown , its worn , and tape repairs show , but the Pup is my old dependable flyer . :D

Beautiful work Don :)

degreen60 08-05-2010 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by wattman (Post 739763)
Oh My , you can just drop that little beauty off here when you are passing thru ;)

That looks so great , and what paint did you use ? :)

Still flying my Sopwith Pup , very early in the AM , and late PM , at sundown , its worn , and tape repairs show , but the Pup is my old dependable flyer . :D

Beautiful work Don :)

I tried mixing paint to match the plane. I got finally got close enough to suit me and I just repainted the whole plane. The picture does not show the scares where I glued the wing back together. Maybe after I have flown it a few times if you want to swap we can make a deal then I will have to find a differant paint scheme I like to put on your plane. Can't have 2 alike. Course your going to have to crash some more, I can't start with something that flys. HAHA. Some of the mods I did to the plane are filled the aft bottom of the fuselage. Painted the bottom(why don't the foam ARF have the bottom painted? The bottom is seen more than the top when flying). Changed the controls to pull-pull. Changed the brace wires to more scale location at the fuselage bottom. I will be installing a differant motor so the servos are located differant and the battery will probably be installed differant.

scalercflyer 08-05-2010 02:03 PM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 739841)
I tried mixing paint to match the plane. I got finally got close enough to suit me and I just repainted the whole plane. The picture does not show the scares where I glued the wing back together. Maybe after I have flown it a few times if you want to swap we can make a deal then I will have to find a differant paint scheme I like to put on your plane. Can't have 2 alike. Course your going to have to crash some more, I can't start with something that flys. HAHA. Some of the mods I did to the plane are filled the aft bottom of the fuselage. Painted the bottom(why don't the foam ARF have the bottom painted? The bottom is seen more than the top when flying). Changed the controls to pull-pull. Changed the brace wires to more scale location at the fuselage bottom. I will be installing a differant motor so the servos are located differant and the battery will probably be installed differant.

You are The Man De! Marty

scalercflyer 08-05-2010 02:04 PM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 739746)
The Sopwith Pup is rebuilt and waiting on its gun, motor, and pilot.

You need a pilot and I'm not talking about Snoopy either! Marty

TM4197 08-05-2010 03:36 PM

Great job! Looks a lot different than it did when I jammed it in the box for the trip to you! I think it looks better than the original kit my friend. I really like the paint scheme and the fly wires look perfect. Its really neat to see a plane which was damaged come back to life again! SUPER job!!! Can't wait to see what your going to do with the TM. [popcorn]

degreen60 08-05-2010 05:20 PM


Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 739879)
Great job! Looks a lot different than it did when I jammed it in the box for the trip to you! I think it looks better than the original kit my friend. I really like the paint scheme and the fly wires look perfect. Its really neat to see a plane which was damaged come back to life again! SUPER job!!! Can't wait to see what your going to do with the TM. [popcorn]

I have the plane picked out to make the TM into. I been giving clues to see if someone can guess it. It has sweep back wings, twin cockpits, neg stacker, and is a bomber.

degreen60 08-05-2010 05:23 PM


Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 739866)
You need a pilot and I'm not talking about Snoopy either! Marty

I make my own pilots using a Vac-U-Form. I just need to make one and paint it. The gun will be printed paper glued on foam. Motor is on order.

degreen60 08-07-2010 03:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 739866)
You need a pilot and I'm not talking about Snoopy either! Marty

Is this one okay?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11866 seconds with 7 queries