WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

degreen60 06-21-2010 07:37 PM


Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 729275)
Tell ya what.when I spin one in, you'll get the first offer. I've seen you rebuilds!! BTW: I do have a TM in a few pieces!::o

GWS TM? I been wanting one to make into a Halberstadt C.L.2. The Halberstadt C.L.2 has swept back wings like the TM. Front and aft end of the fuselage will need a lot of work. I may have to look at other planes and change the wings a little.

TM4197 06-21-2010 07:39 PM

Its yours if you want it. Wings are ok...cowl is cracked, I think I have the wire landing gear, and the fuse is in two pieces. Might be missing a strut or two.

degreen60 06-21-2010 08:58 PM


Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 729287)
Its yours if you want it. Wings are ok...cowl is cracked, I think I have the wire landing gear, and the fuse is in two pieces. Might be missing a strut or two.

I sent you a PM but not sure it went. Let me know if you did not get it.

scalercflyer 06-21-2010 10:02 PM

Time
 

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 729271)
I need to find one of those Sopwith Pups crashed and trashed to rebuild.

De you must have a lot of time on your hands or maybe you just like to torture yourself! :eek::rolleyes::D Marty

degreen60 06-21-2010 11:36 PM


Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 729325)
De you must have a lot of time on your hands or maybe you just like to torture yourself! :eek::rolleyes::D Marty

No money, just time. RETIRED and loving it.

TM4197 06-22-2010 01:06 AM

D....

Did not get the PM.....I was offline at the time...if that makes any dif..

degreen60 06-22-2010 02:04 AM


Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 729384)
D....

Did not get the PM.....I was offline at the time...if that makes any dif..

That did not make a differance. I did not think it went because of the responce I got on my end. Sent again.

philipa_240sx 06-29-2010 02:49 PM

This is the first WW1 plane in my fleet. Always wanted a biplane...

She's a really nice flier outdoors... so long as there is no wind!

GP Electrifly Tiger Moth
- Spektrum AR6110E
- 5g SG50 servo's
- OKHobby Infinite A1705-1800 motor with custom shaft and E-flite prop adapter
- OKHobby Infinite 6A ESC
- GWS 7x3.5DD prop
- 350 or 500 mAh 2S lipo


http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/d...0/TM_Top_2.JPG

http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/d...TM_Motor_2.JPG

scalercflyer 06-29-2010 04:06 PM

TM
 
The Tiger Moth was a WWII primary trainer, not a WWI airplane. But it's very nice! I am partial to the Tiger Moth. They fly great! marty

scalercflyer 06-29-2010 04:19 PM

DVIII Reference
 
De, 79cj, I posted this before but since there is a renewed interest in the DVIII, here goes.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bi...dviii_nx94100/

scalercflyer 06-29-2010 04:42 PM

Here you go philipa. Check out my converted Tiger Moth. marty

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=259&page=118

degreen60 06-29-2010 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another picture of my rebuild of the Kavan Fokker DVIII. The person I got the plane from has found the tail fin and rudder so I am waiting to get it. I made the cowl using a 2 liter bottle. If the plane flys good I will make a front for the cowl and add cylinders on the brushless motor.

dbcisco 06-29-2010 08:53 PM

You made a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Looks darn nice.

scalercflyer 06-29-2010 09:26 PM

You slick Devil De! :eek: Nice Job! :D marty

degreen60 06-29-2010 10:46 PM


Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 731334)
You slick Devil De! :eek: Nice Job! :D marty

Did you notice, no red on the plane. Maybe I need to put a red scarf on the pilot. LOL

db I am looking for more sow's ears.

philipa_240sx 06-30-2010 02:11 AM


Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 731283)
The Tiger Moth was a WWII primary trainer, not a WWI airplane. But it's very nice! I am partial to the Tiger Moth. They fly great! marty

Sorry, my mistake. I'm not really up on aircraft from that era.. :red:

scalercflyer 06-30-2010 02:13 AM

no need to apologize... BTW, philipa, welcome to the WWI forum! Marty

dbcisco 06-30-2010 02:35 AM

Painted Tigermoths were in quite few WWI movies though.:eek:

degreen60 06-30-2010 03:05 AM

Just tell a tale about how it was developed for WW1 but the English high command did not know enough about airplanes at the time and did not accept it as a good plane. It set in a hanger till needed as a trainer for WWII. (you can sell this crowd anything as long as it fits WWI)

degreen60 06-30-2010 03:06 AM

You could paint it red with black crosses and make Marty very happy. LOL

philipa_240sx 06-30-2010 03:17 AM

Hahaha, all great ideas. :Q

Now if I could somehow explain away the rash on the cowl... happened the first time I landed her too.

scalercflyer 06-30-2010 04:12 AM

Some day
 

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 731446)
You could paint it red with black crosses and make Marty very happy. LOL

Someday I'll fill your tail full of lead de...............:eek::cool:

79CJ 06-30-2010 12:38 PM


Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 731289)
De, 79cj, I posted this before but since there is a renewed interest in the DVIII, here goes.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bi...dviii_nx94100/

Some great pictures there! Where is this plane at? Thanks.

7car7 06-30-2010 05:46 PM

Love the DVIII De! That cowl is really amazing. Love that plane.

7car7 06-30-2010 05:58 PM


Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 731289)
De, 79cj, I posted this before but since there is a renewed interest in the DVIII, here goes.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bi...dviii_nx94100/

Wow, somehow I missed this link. It's amazing.

Love this one too...
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/do...ot/ms_type_a1/

SO much good info there.

degreen60 06-30-2010 10:05 PM

It question and answer time. A while back I watched an old movie about WW1 flyers(maybe Dawn Patrol). In it the pilots had a long scarf attached to the top of their flying caps. Did the real WW1 pilots do this or is it just Hollywood? I finally found a materal I like to use to make scarfs and pennets. My wife made me throw away an old blue streachy T shirt that was worn thin. I first cut strips with the length of what I would call the grain but when streached it would curl and make a string. I cut across the grain and it will remain flat. I tied it and it still remained flat almost to the knot. Everything I had tried before had looked stiff and stood straight out. This is so soft it will hang down no mater how you turn the plane and blows back when flying.

dbcisco 06-30-2010 10:23 PM

The purpose of a silk scarf was simply to prevent chafing the neck on the cloth or leather jacket/coat/suit collar.
While streamers were attatched to the wing struts to identify a group leader I have never read of a streamer/scarf attatched to a flight cap. Seems it would just yank the head backwards at 100+ MPH, if not yank the cap right off. However, as flamboyant as WWI pilots were, I would not be surprised at anything worn, painted or done by those knights of the sky.

dbcisco 06-30-2010 10:31 PM

This question raises a contention I have seen in almost every historical group I have ever been involved with. There seems to be two camps, in the parlance of one of the groups, "Fun Mavens" and "Authenticity Nazis". The greatest difference is the "fun" camp allows for "it is possible" while the "Authenticators" say nothing is allowed without documentation that it was done.
As a hobby I go with fun. As a historian I want primary documents. At the field I have fun, in the classroom I do science. The two are both valid viewpoints. Just don't confuse one for the other.

degreen60 07-01-2010 01:58 AM

The movie was made when they still had Camels to fly. Some of the scenes are of the planes in the air and the pilots have the scarf on top the flight cap fluttering behind them. I think Errol Flyn was in the movie. I think all the airplanes in the movie were WW1 planes. You can look at my planes and know how I build them. I have the only WW1 Night Fury. LOL

degreen60 07-01-2010 11:05 PM

Does anyone know how long the squardon leader pennats that were attached to the outer aft wing struts were?

scalercflyer 07-02-2010 01:48 AM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 731865)
Does anyone know how long the squardon leader pennats that were attached to the outer aft wing struts were?

Not sure De. I need to dig into the archives. Might be a challenge to find. Marty

79CJ 07-02-2010 02:46 AM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 731679)
The movie was made when they still had Camels to fly. Some of the scenes are of the planes in the air and the pilots have the scarf on top the flight cap fluttering behind them. I think Errol Flyn was in the movie. I think all the airplanes in the movie were WW1 planes. You can look at my planes and know how I build them. I have the only WW1 Night Fury. LOL

Great movie, had the VHS growing up, would like to get it on DVD, not enough to pay $20 I guess. I think the movie made extensive use of the Thomas-Morse Scout for fighters.

dbcisco 07-02-2010 03:18 AM

There were two versions of Dawn Patrol. 1930 and 1938(Flynn). Hell's Angels 1930 from Howard Hughes. All used a mix of WWI and faked WWI aircraft. Some WWI aircraft were used as other WWI aircraft (IE: Morse Scouts as Camels). It seems within a decade of the end of the war, most military equipment had all but vanished.

degreen60 07-02-2010 04:42 AM

I don't remember which movie I saw. I know some of the flyers had a scarf attached to the top of the flying cap. I don't think I have see an old photo of a pilot with that. I am guessing it is just Hollywood.

79CJ 07-02-2010 12:43 PM


Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 731954)
I don't remember which movie I saw. I know some of the flyers had a scarf attached to the top of the flying cap. I don't think I have see an old photo of a pilot with that. I am guessing it is just Hollywood.

I'm betting you saw the 1938 Errol Flynn version. That is the famous one. Apparently the 1930 is ok, more serious, but the acting is stilted like a lot of other early "talkies." I'd like to see it, but I've been unable to find it. From what I understand though, all the dogfight scenes from the 1st are used in the 2nd, so they didn't really film much new flying. I guess that'll cut down on costs.

BTW, Basil Rathbone, who played the commander who Errol Flynn was constantly at odds with - great in the old Sherlock Holmes movies. Quite a contrast from the current Robert Downey Jr bit.

WWI Ace 07-11-2010 05:57 AM

Hollywood tends to do whatever they think is needed to make a story more "marketable"! Steve

dbcisco 07-11-2010 06:04 AM

You can always plane a neat game called WUZAT.
Try and identify the planes in the movies.

7car7 07-12-2010 05:46 PM

Very sad to report, but my beloved SE5a (over there <------) is out of commission for a while.

I broke rule number one, and had the sun in my face when flying, and the plane was about 100 yard away. Got disorientated, and down it went. I'm VERY fortunate and thankful that it went down level, and not cartwheeling. Also, it was in 1 foot tall grass.

Motor mount is shattered, and the real spruce landing gear rear legs were shattered and shoved into the lower wing. Cowl/radiator is a bit banged up on the lower edge. All in all, it's really not super bad. Light planes don't have a lot of mass to crush themselves with!

I don't have pics of it yet, and I didn't take a pic of it in the field. But since this is the WWI thread, I'll probably put it out in my yard and take a "historical" pic of it banged up and nosed in.

79CJ 07-13-2010 12:29 PM


Originally Posted by 7car7 (Post 734197)
Very sad to report, but my beloved SE5a (over there <------) is out of commission for a while.

I broke rule number one, and had the sun in my face when flying, and the plane was about 100 yard away. Got disorientated, and down it went. I'm VERY fortunate and thankful that it went down level, and not cartwheeling. Also, it was in 1 foot tall grass.

Motor mount is shattered, and the real spruce landing gear rear legs were shattered and shoved into the lower wing. Cowl/radiator is a bit banged up on the lower edge. All in all, it's really not super bad. Light planes don't have a lot of mass to crush themselves with!

I don't have pics of it yet, and I didn't take a pic of it in the field. But since this is the WWI thread, I'll probably put it out in my yard and take a "historical" pic of it banged up and nosed in.

That's rough! That was a beautiful redesign of the SE5a, hopefully you'll have it back up in the air soon. Lots of SE5a going down around here, looks like the Fokkers and Albatros's have been busy...

scalercflyer 07-13-2010 03:36 PM

Patterns for SE5a
 
Anyone have an unbuilt kit they can take/make patterns from? Might be a good idea for replacement parts. Maybe they could be posted here. marty


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:54 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10726 seconds with 7 queries