WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

Biplane Murphy 07-16-2007 03:18 AM

Hmmmmmmm red is sooooo nice!!

Steve......24 hours till F2b arrival........I'm getting excited!!!

Murph............

Actually...I spent 5 hours today assembling a "red Kadet ep 42" " for a new guy in my club today...........Best aileron trainer plane ever!! IMHO

Biplane Murphy 07-17-2007 12:10 AM

Peter Rake F2b

3 Attachment(s)
Yea!!! Whoopie!!! Hoorah!!!! F2b short kit in my hands.
Now I need to go shopping for some sheet/stick Balsa and music wire..............

Murph........

WWI Ace 07-17-2007 12:33 AM

At first I thought, "That airplane is shaped like a triangle!!" Ha ha!! Looks great!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy 07-17-2007 12:41 AM

I was amused at the "triangle box" as well..........had to take a photo......
The lasercut stuff really does look great!!
Can't wait to build her................soon...very soon........

Murph........

FlyingMonkey 07-17-2007 02:20 AM

where's the foam? what's all that brown stuff?

scalercflyer 07-17-2007 02:25 AM

Gp Dri

2 Attachment(s)
All right Boys. I have opened the box and will start on the DRI this week. Thought I would give you a little taste. Martin

[/ATTACH]Attachment 35727Attachment 35728

Biplane Murphy 07-17-2007 03:11 AM

:)Hi Martin........Now I'm jealous!!! So pretty....Nice and red....:)

So I went to the Copy shop and made 2 copies of F2b plans....(I like to cut them up to build on)
One set of copies for me, and one set for you..........

If you PM me an address, I will send them to you.......I heard a rumour you collect WW1 plans.:)
Thanks for the help etc....

Murph..........

Biplane Murphy 07-17-2007 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey (Post 228015)
where's the foam? what's all that brown stuff?

Foam?...What's that?......Oh yeah, the stuff at the top of my beer.:)

Murph........

scalercflyer 07-17-2007 03:37 AM

Which motor/batt?

Hey Murph! Tell us what you plan to put in her. Brushless/brushed? Lipoly? Geared/direct? Prop? Wish I was there to watch the build. I can, however, tell you that the Red Baron may be flying about looking to add another victory to his score. Hmmmm fried Brisfit........ Steve where are you?Martin

Biplane Murphy 07-17-2007 03:57 AM

F2b

Martin/guys........

I intend to modify the plan to include ailerons(all four)....
3 channel is not aggressive enough for sorties against Dr1's/DVII's:)

I will start a build thread when I begin the project!!

I will be using the same gear as I have in all my electrics.

1. E-flite 480 brushless outrunner.
2. Castle Creations 35 amp or E-flite 40 amp Brushless ESC
3. Thunder power 2100mah 3s 15c Li-po Battery
4. 11 x 7 apc slowflyer prop.
5. hitec hs-55 servos
6. Full size 7 channel Hitec reciever/crystal

I really like this setup for my bipes that are all similar size/weight.
Massive vertical performance....not quite scale.... but I love to torment the older guys in the club by taking my WW1 bipes and performing crazy vertical full throttle snaps....full throttle vertical climbs until the bipe is hard to see, followed by the eternal flat spin.....
Knife edge passes...
inverted dive bombing runs...and the occassional attempt to hover!!!:<

Red Baron, watch out for the new 1000 horsepower rotary engine equipped Bristol F2b "Brisfit"...::o

Best wishes...Murph.......

WWI Ace 07-17-2007 04:31 AM

I love the color of that tripe Martin! Hey Murph I overpower my bipes and tripes too. Tends to keep me out of trouble sometimes when I get Dumbthumbs. I thought foam was the stuff drooling out of the rabid skunks mouth!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy 07-17-2007 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 228112)
I thought foam was the stuff drooling out of the rabid skunks mouth!! Steve.

:Q:tc::):<:blah:

Murph........

degreen60 07-17-2007 06:26 PM

Sounds like another red tripe for my Camel to knock out of the air.

FlyingMonkey 07-17-2007 06:55 PM

ow, brutal, almost makes me wish you guys flew at my field. :D

dicknadine 07-17-2007 08:17 PM

help-- where to purchase carbon fiber??. .007 thickness, sheet stock. Aerospace Composites no longer makes it. need it for my Roy Clough, 'Martian Spacehip'. dick

Biplane Murphy 07-17-2007 08:25 PM

Hi dick.........My LHS orders it for me.........here is the brand...and a link to their website.

http://www.midwestproducts.com/item_results.asp

Hope this helps......

Murph...........

Ron 07-17-2007 08:31 PM

martin Steve....long time since I've been on here. Started building/assembling my H9 Camel this last week. Looks like a fairly good model, except the linkages for the ailerons...there's LOTS of down, but very little up when setup as per instructions, guess a re-design is in the works so that I can get some differential. if it all comes together properly, I'll do test frights this week.

portablevcb 07-17-2007 11:26 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the nice words about our stuff. I don't get time to hang out in here much but will respond when I can.

Murph,

Just for the record, the EFlite 480 and 3s will be a lot of power for this thing. :)

I used only 2s with the same motor in my Camel (10x7 prop) and it was just right. But, my SRE has 3s in it (also a 10x7). Flies very non-scale maneuvers like cuban eights, aileron rolls, snap rolls and actually doesn't mind inverted flight either. :D

I would check current draw with the 11x7. It will probably be a bit high. If you drop to a 10x7 you should stay within the mfg's limits.

Have fun with the build. I haven't seen a Rake design that didn't fly very well. I'm building the prototype Morane-Saulnier AI now. Should be done in a couple of weeks. Not a stick frame either. It's a half shell fuse that goes together in one afternoon!

charlie

Biplane Murphy 07-18-2007 12:28 AM

Hi Charlie....Nice to see you here........

I use the same setup in a couple WW1 arf's that are the same size.

They are way overpowered. Take off requires a couple of feet. Not scale at all.

I do like them that way, though........:)

Murph........

WWI Ace 07-19-2007 01:02 AM

Hey Ron good to hear from ya!!! The H9 Camel is a good lookin' bird!!! We're all still here buildin' and flyin"!! I'd like to see a video of that plane when ya get it flyin". Steve.

WWI Ace 07-19-2007 01:04 AM

Good to see Charlie here too!! His company www.manzanolaser.com makes some great laser cut WWI plane kits. I'm very impressed with his work!! Check 'em out guys. Steve.

scalercflyer 07-19-2007 01:44 AM

Welcome back!

Welcome back Ron! It's good to hear from you again. As you might guess that crazy Texican has been on here stirring up the troops and causing problems while you were gone! Why he had the nerve to offer to send me some red paint for my GP DRI! I'm going to fill his tail full of Spandau lead on of these days! Glad to hear you are working on the Camel. Are you getting any flying in? I went out last night flying. I had just put a geared brush less on my KATANA and took off the small bell type brush less, so I wanted to try it out. Well, Boys, that plane took off like a jet and went STRAIGHT UP like a homesick angel!!! I was blown away! However, the 1320 MAH pack got sucked dry in about 6 mins (13 mins with the other motor) and the motor was very hot (pack was slightly warm). I must have her propped wrong. I'm going to drop down from a 10x4.7 to a 9x6 and see if that helps. Anyway, construction will start shortly on the DRI tripe. Pics to come. I may even do a scratch build on a PR N17 after that! Take that you crazy Texican! Martin

Biplane Murphy 07-19-2007 02:01 AM

Speaking of GP Dr1 ep tripes.................Today was a great day!!!!

First helped a new club member by putting the finishing touches on his new electric plane(he had no modeling experience).

Then the LHS called to say they had "been overrun by FOKKERS"!!

WHOOPIE!!! 3 1/2 months and it finally came.:)

I immediately ran to the car and went to get it.

Tried to pay the tax etc... (had put $100.00 down in advance)
and to my surprise my money was refused!!:<

My friend/the new guy had put $200.00down on my account!!!::o

I could hardly believe it. What a great guy!!

I like to help the new guys in my club, there is so much to learn.
So to have him do that was so nice.
The satisfaction of helping someone get into the hobby with
a little less pain is it's own reward, but WOW!!!!

Anyway..........now i can put this little tripe together and hunt some SE5a's and Brisfits......Just not the ones in my hangar!!;-)

Murph.........

scalercflyer 07-19-2007 02:15 AM

Right on Murph! :) They must'a had a big run on the DRI. It's a great and noble thing to introduce others into our fabulous hobby. Well done my Friend! :tc: I think you'll be pleased with the camo scheme on my DRI. I guarrentee it won't be all RED! :roll: Did you hear that Steve? Martin

Biplane Murphy 07-19-2007 02:24 AM

thanks Martin....I was a new guy at one time too.
I remember scouring magazines and talking to the older guys to glean what little knowledge I have.

My club had the safety officer and treasurer retire, and the older guys asked the younger guys to step up. My buddy volunteered for safety officer. I told the V.P. if he would be treasurer...I would be willing to take the duties of V.P.
So that's what happened.
As a club officer I feel It is very important to help the new guys even though it isn't in my job description.

Well anyway............soooo happppy to finally get that tripe.

Now I can plan my paint job!! I have 4 airbrushes and a compressor and the paint all ready to go!!!

Can't wait to see yours.:)

Murph.............