WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

WWI Ace 07-06-2006 04:14 AM

That's her Martin!!! That's the version I'm gonna do. Steve.

WWI Ace 07-08-2006 12:41 AM

Hey guys, here is a link to the trailer for the WWI Flyboys movie due out in about OCT. You gotta see this to tell me what you all think!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNBtSheiVwg

scalercflyer 07-08-2006 03:48 AM

Flyboys

Steve, needless to say I"M THERE for this movie!!! :D :D Who's got the popcorn? :confused: BTW, is that a RED DRI I see? :mad: Martin

WWI Ace 07-08-2006 03:44 PM

I thought you might like seeing that Martin!!!!! Steve.

WWI Ace 07-12-2006 02:06 AM

Where did everybody go? I feel so alone!!! Steve.

scalercflyer 07-12-2006 05:23 AM

I'm here!

Alright Steve! Give us some more pics of the tiny tripe and tell us how you intend to finish her. :) Oh and post some pics of the other plane too. :D Martin. PS: where are the rest of you Boys???

WWI Ace 07-13-2006 03:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay guys. I posted these on the Polks thread but I'll put 'em here too so Martin can give me fits. Yes it's red and yes the rudder is far too big. But, this is the only .25 size glow WWI ARF to convert to electric. All the equipment details are in the other thread. Steve.

WWI Ace 07-13-2006 03:53 AM

Decided to cover the tiny tripe with iron on film and then paint it. Kurt Bengstron told me the Polyspan might shrink too much on such a light structure. I'll paint the film a sky blue and then drybrush streak OD green paint on it. I test painted some of the film and it seems to work fine. Steve.

scalercflyer 07-13-2006 05:24 AM

Red DRI

Steve, I'm gonna beat you till you bleed......... :mad: :mad: :mad: Martin

WWI Ace 07-13-2006 07:01 PM

Beat me if you have to Martin. I can take it, Im a big boy. Actually, I might recover it eventually if it survives. Like I said, it's a test bed more than anything else. I didn't want to do a 3D plane and .25 size ARF planes are hard to come by. Steve.

scalercflyer 07-16-2006 03:03 AM

Table saw

Here is a tool not one of you should be without. I ordered it from Harbor Freight tools. It's on sale and works great! Makes beautiful straight cuts with the diamond blade. Can't beat the price either. Steve, you gotta get one! Martin
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46379

4 INCH "MIGHTY-MITE" TABLE SAW http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...6399/46379.gif
INCLUDES TWO BLADES

For quick and easy cutting operations. Perfect for picture frames, molding, and plastics. Includes blade guard, 4'' 24 tooth C2 carbide tipped blade, 4'' diamond blade, and adjustable angle plate.
  • Maximum depth of cut at 90°: 3/4''
  • Blade capacity: 4''
  • Motor: 9 amps @ 110 volts, 4500 RPM
  • Table: 7-5/8'' x 5-5/8'' x 6-1/2''; includes two miter slots
  • Shipping weight: 6 lbs.

ITEM 46379-3VGA

$49.99 $29.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/email.gifEmail link to a friend

WWI Ace 07-16-2006 03:22 PM

It seems like we're the only ones left Martin!!!! Cool little saw though! Steve

scalercflyer 07-16-2006 03:33 PM

Invitation

Steve, I'm for putting an invitation to our thread on the other scale threads. What do you think? Martin

Ron 07-17-2006 06:42 PM

Martin....You are getting entirely too technical here :-).....I still use a razor blade and a steel rule for long straight cuts, or a balsa stripper if I need a really straight cut. About the only power tool I have for modeling is a Dremel. however if I run across one of these saws in the great White North area ( Canada)...I likely would get it along with a small band saw.
I think I'm going to do a power tool bench in my new shop. I just finished moving into it this last week, and I have room for a small sander belt/disc...a small drill press and band saw and table saw if it's the size of the little beauty you just bought. Not enough time, too many projects....Like my wife says, I'll soon have to get a new fire because I have too many irons in the one I already have :-)

WWI Ace 07-18-2006 12:50 AM

Projects do multiply rather quickly!!! Yeah Martin put the word out that we're here. The more the merrier!!!! How did you like the Flyboys movie trailer I posted above Ron? Steve.

scalercflyer 07-22-2006 04:20 AM

Which one?

All right fellow Fleigers! :) Steve and I are going back and forth about radios. He swears by the Spektrum DX6 and I'm leaning towards the Futaba 6 channel (both have bells and whistles). :D Let me know what you Guys think. What radio system do you prefer? :confused: It's my B Day on Monday :D :D and I have to decide which one to get. Decisions, decisions......... Martin

Walt Thyng 07-22-2006 05:51 AM

I'm really happy with my Polk Tracker III. eight channels, 99 model memory, fully synthesized. works with jsut about any receiver. Just programmed my Dr.1 into it. Hope to fly it in the next day or two.
Walt

Walt Thyng 07-22-2006 05:53 AM

O yeah, it's under $200.00 , too (-:
walt

dicknadine 07-22-2006 05:35 PM

thanks for all the reply's about the best radio system, guess I will have stick with the old fashion models, which still work and spend my cash on more Balsa. dick

Ron 07-22-2006 08:45 PM

Martin:..........I use a JR radio ( 10 SX ) because of the simple programming ...The only trouble I find with the Futaba radios ( computer type ) is that the manual is as thick as the radio...and it's all fine print too ! I had occasion to try the DX6, and although it has the advantage of no frequency clashes with anyone else, the transmitter doesn't feel good to me...that is compared to the 10 SX. Programming isn't that easy ( for me that is) either..Other than that, I think it's probably a very good system, and would likely use it if I already wasn't committed to the JR stuff. The Futaba feels nice too, and if not for the exceedingly thick manuals, I likely would still be flying them.( I started out with Futaba)
I decided a few years back that having one really good radio system was preferable to having a lot of cheaper ones...The 10 SX has 10 model memories, and I find that I only use 6 or 7 at most, one of them a Heli...
everything you wish to do is printed out on a big screen in plain simple English, and if something as far as switches or whatever have been inadvertantly changed since the last time you flew the model you are on, the radio screams at you that something has changed since the last time you used it. I find this one of the most desireable functions..that and the throttle curve function....especially for the scale and pattern type models I fly...once I find a speed that my model works really good at, I set the throttle curve to get that speed on that model at mid stick, and I never have to guess. That being said....I think that the most important thing is to actually hold the radio in your hot little hands and check to see how it " feels " to you...other features aside, if the radio doesn't feel right, it won't help your flying one little bit. One other thing which may just be a co-incidence, is that in my area I seem to have way less radio interference ( glitch problems) with the JR stuff than any other brand....possibly because its positive shift instead of negative shift like Hitec and Futaba. Other than that, if I was " on a budget " so to speak, I'd be picking up and playing with every brand and type in my price range and get the one that felt most comfortable to me never mind the brand...the most expensive may not have the best " feel" for you...in reality I don't think any one brand is better than the others.....just better for you....Do I have you thoroughly confused yet??? :confused: :D

Steve...
pretty good trailer....in about 25 years when the movie gets up here to the Great White North, I'll definitely watch it. I got my new model going this last week, and am planning to go after work tonight to put a few more flights on it...it's a Venus 2 ( nice WW1 model eh?? )
68" span..8 lbs.....and now that the batteries have been run in, it swings a....16X10 prop at 7800 rpm....motor is Eflite 60 Outrunner on 6 or 7 S lithiums...I think I'll stay with the 6S because I don't use it all even in verticals which are unlimited at about 1/2 throttle. :eek: 7S just adds weight that's not needed, and the extra power is absolutely a waste...except if I want to show off some, which isn't often with my flying skills.:o

good luck on the radio selection Martin...............

Ron 07-27-2006 01:38 AM

Martin !! did you buy a radio????

scalercflyer 07-27-2006 01:52 AM

Radio

Ron, I'm going to buy the new 7 channel FUTUBA tonight. It's an awesome radio for the price and I get $25.00 off the price right away! Can't beat it. Take a look.....Martin
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...a/futj69m.html

Ron 07-27-2006 06:05 AM

Martin:.....That is a great price...10 model memory is more than enough too.
I can't keep track of that many, and the boss says even ten models is nine too many :rolleyes: I told her I want one of each kind, then once that's done, I want one in every colour :D .
You will find that if you get one with throttle hold, the safety feature of not inadvertantly starting up the motor if you happen to juggle the transmitter or touch the throttle stick will be a feature you will like, along with the sub trim feature, and so many other nice advantages that you will wonder after a while how on earth you ever got along without them in the first place. That and the fact that you will not have to purchase a new radio for a long time will make you glad you bought it. There is a learning curve in order to maximize all the great little features, but it's well worth the effort.

Man not much building going on here lately, but I have one left to finish this winter. It's not WW1, but it is a very old Boeing Flying Boat...these particular ones were built in Canada at the Boeing plant in Vancouver B.C. and were used for the mail run up and down the British Columbia coast..so it's pretty obscure, and should make a great conversation piece. It's going to be 74" span. powered by either an Astro geared sport 40, or maybe an Eflite 46 outrunner. I have several of their products, and they all perform at least as well as their advertising claims, and in most cases better.
Enjoy your new radio...wishing you many happy hours using it..........Ron

WWI Ace 07-28-2006 01:28 AM

Alright!!! The birthday boy got a new radio!! Congratulations. You'll really like having all the extra bells and whistles. Welcome to the wonderful world of programming. Steve.

scalercflyer 07-28-2006 01:43 AM

Radio

Thank you. Thank you very much :) Martin