WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

scalercflyer 05-30-2009 01:13 AM

Tiger Moth

3 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. I modified it slightly, Degreen and the rest of the Guys are right. It flies great (nice and slow). Marty

WWI Ace 05-30-2009 04:14 PM

But there is no red on that one Marty so how can it be a good plane? I've had a not so great week. My dad passed away Wednesday night and my mom passed away last weekend. But I guess it happens to everybody sooner or later. Just trying to get everything in order. Flew a little yesterday evening and it made some of the stress go away. What are you guys up to? Steve

dbcisco 05-30-2009 05:52 PM

My deepest sympathy for you Ace.

Biplane Murphy 05-30-2009 05:54 PM

Wow Steve,

My thoughts are with your family.

patmatgal 05-30-2009 07:54 PM

WWI Ace
Sorry to hear that, my condolences go out to you. It does happen sooner or later, but man it still sucks... Best to you & your family.

Percyflyer 05-30-2009 08:57 PM

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

steve p

scalercflyer 05-31-2009 02:16 AM

Condolences

Steve, my Brother, remember that our strength comes from the Lord. He said he will never leave or forsake us. My family and I will be praying for you and your family. We pray that the Lord will be close to you and your family and strengthen you in this time of sorrow. Marty

WWI Ace 05-31-2009 05:28 AM

Thanks alot guys!! I'm doing okay. Marty called tonight and talked with me for awhile and it helped alot. That's what I like about this site. Everybody cares about everyone else. Especially those of us in the WWI part. We tease each other but I've been "other" places and they get so nasty with each other sometimes. We don't call each other idiots or stupid or cuss each other. We spend our time helping each other and we always welcome new guys to our threads. I guess I just like how positive everyone is. Thanks guys for giving me a great place to hang out in my spare time. Steve

Biplane Murphy 05-31-2009 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 608055)
Thanks alot guys!! I'm doing okay. Marty called tonight and talked with me for awhile and it helped alot. That's what I like about this site. Everybody cares about everyone else. Especially those of us in the WWI part. We tease each other but I've been "other" places and they get so nasty with each other sometimes. We don't call each other idiots or stupid or cuss each other. We spend our time helping each other and we always welcome new guys to our threads. I guess I just like how positive everyone is. Thanks guys for giving me a great place to hang out in my spare time. Steve

That is exactly why I like this place too. :)

7car7 06-01-2009 05:52 PM

Steve, sure sorry for the loss of both parents. I'm sure it must be very hard. I still have both of mine, (at 75), and I'm dreading that day. Really hoping/praying for this time to go as well as it can.
Chris.

WWI Ace 06-02-2009 12:44 AM

Thanks Chris!! I really appreciate all the support from you guys!!! Steve

7car7 06-03-2009 12:02 AM

Latest build

1 Attachment(s)
I know a few have seen this, but wanted to give an update for this section...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45296

I'm particularly fond of the "leather" around the cockpit.
I made the rounded section from depron foam, then painted with acrylic, thickened with light weight spackle. After it was dry, I rubbed it with my greasy fingers ;-) to give it a bit of a worn look. Super easy, and fast.
:tc:

7car7 06-03-2009 05:22 PM

Jenny flight pics

5 Attachment(s)
My niece took some shots of my Jenny in flight, thought I'd share my faves....

degreen60 06-04-2009 09:02 PM

I will be visiting the Shreveport, La area the last week of June. Anyone live there that would like to get together and fly let me know. I will probably bring my Eflite Jenny.

WWI Ace 06-06-2009 04:49 PM

I hope you don't get bit by a rabid crawdad!!!! LOL Steve

degreen60 06-06-2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 609894)
I hope you don't get bit by a rabid crawdad!!!! LOL Steve

How is that saying goes down there. You want to bite my what and suck what? Not sure I have it correct but close. Those mud bugs are sure good and tasty.

degreen60 06-11-2009 05:42 PM

Sopwith

5 Attachment(s)
Last year I had the receiver go bad in my scratch built Sopwith Tripe. After spending over a month high in a tree the wind finally got strong enough to break the plane free. I finished building my MS-N and started the rebuild on the Tripe. Here are some pictures of before the crash, after the crash, and now. I still have to install receiver and battery, shell chutes on the gun, and strip the prop to look like wood.

Ryan Flyer 06-11-2009 06:50 PM

Hi all, I am just starting out in Rc but I love the WW1 planes and I like to build. I be around.
Ryan
P.S. WW1 ace, I am sorry for your lose and please now that you will be in my prayers.

WWI Ace 06-11-2009 07:06 PM

Thanks Ryan and welcome!! There are some great guys on here that are also VERY knowledgable about WWI aviation. Feel free to ask questions if you need to. We will help you as much as we can. If you like to build there are some good kits at www.aerodromerc.com and www.manzanolaser.com you can look at. They are short kits so you will have to buy a little wood but all the hard to make parts are laser cut. I have kits from both of these and I can tell you that they are worth the money!!! The Aerodrome site also has great building tips and other info on their message board. Steve

degreen60 06-19-2009 03:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The tripehound is finished and flys great. Sence it is a scratch build I am showing how I found the balance point. I used a frame square held flat against the bottom of the trailing wing and against the leading edge of the forward wing. It measures 7 1/2 inches to the trailing edge of the trailing wing from the leading edge of the forward wing. 7 1/2 divided by 4(25%) equalls 1 15/16. I made a blance tool using a coat hanger and 1/2 inch colored tape. 2 inches is between the yellow and blue tape. I put the blance tool under the top wing till just a bit of the yellow tape showed at the leading edge. I now have the ammo chutes installed. Battery installs under the motor through the open cowl front. Put a red heart on the tail fin and added more white on the fuselage top so it matched the shape of the red better. Prop is striped to look more like wood.

dbcisco 06-19-2009 04:00 AM

Degreen, how did you get the wings formed so nice? I end up melting them doing more than a simple curve.

degreen60 06-19-2009 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by dbcisco (Post 613565)
Degreen, how did you get the wings formed so nice? I end up melting them doing more than a simple curve.

I cheated, I bought a used GWS Tiger Moth and it came with 3 extra wings. Sence I had 3 wings I made the tripehound.

dbcisco 06-19-2009 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 613579)
I cheated, I bought a used GWS Tiger Moth and it came with 3 extra wings. Sence I had 3 wings I made the tripehound.

Pretty slick idea :$

7car7 06-19-2009 05:17 PM

Have you been using Palmalive? Hands look so soft - and that diamond ring - wow - fancy!! :D

I really like how you clipped the trailing edge of the wingtips, it's a great touch!

WWI Ace 06-19-2009 05:44 PM

Pure genius how you figured your CofG!!!!!!!Steve