WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Power Systems (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   HV ESC choices (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80131)

bigvern 06-25-2019 09:13 AM

HV ESC choices

Hi there new to the forum. So at weekend the ECS in my electric powered H9 Valiant caught fire and destroyed itself in flight. Fortunatley I got theaircraft back to tht landing strip and the damage contained apart from a very black sooty motor bay.

The ECS was a HK dlux 80 amp, my set up is Turnigy Rotomax 1.60 on 12s Lipo. HK have now discontinued this ECS and quick search on google highlights I am not the first to experience burn outs on this ECS

So now to a replacement. Do I stick with HK and buy the Aerostar 120A which is the nearest replacement or do I go up market for instance Hacker/Jeti Master 99 ot a castle creations Phoenix

Are they worth the considerable increase in money ??? are they still made in China after all

ron_van_sommeren 06-25-2019 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigvern (Post 1019416)
... my set up is Turnigy Rotomax 1.60 on 12s Lipo. ...

Proppitch and -diameter are missing from your setup. Diameter has a huuuuge effect on current drawn.
How high was the current you measured?

General rules for current and power, they give a relative indication:
Motorcurrent is proportional to pitch¹, voltage², Kv³ and diameter⁴.
Power-drawn is proportional to pitch¹, voltage³, Kv³ and diameter⁴.

Without the exponentiation
extra current with one or two cells added, simple table

So changes in setup (and lousy Kv specifications!) can have surprisingly considerable/huge effects.
E.g. doubling voltage will four(2²)fold current, doubling Kv will eight(2³)fold current, and doubling prop diameter will sixteen(2⁴)fold current.
Even a small 10% change/difference in diameter will already lead to a 46% difference in current.

ron_van_sommeren 06-25-2019 10:11 PM

How long were the wires between battery and ESC?
too long wires batteryside may kill ESC over time: precautions, solutions & workarounds - RCG

It is a good practice to have some headroom built in. About derating motors, controllers, batteries, electronics in general:

bigvern 06-26-2019 06:56 AM

Sorry for the missing info

19X10 APC e prop Turnigy 2 X 6s 5000mah lipo Rotomax Turnigy 1.6 RPM 231kv leads were standard length

I have mislaid my book with the power results but if I recall I think it was pulling 2,4kw of power drawing 68 amps

ron_van_sommeren 06-27-2019 03:11 AM

Shouldn't have been a problem for your controller.

Nevertheless, it is a good practice to have some headroom built in. About derating motors, controllers, batteries, electronics in general:

ron_van_sommeren 06-27-2019 03:16 AM

Dedicated power for receiver and servos, so a problem in the high-power part does not take out control:
How do you separate a speed controller from a receiver? - RCG

And you could always go Kontronik, notorious for their quality and conservative ratings:
www.kontronik.com