WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

WWI Ace 10-22-2007 03:41 AM

I gotta see that one too!! I took my little tripe to the clubhouse today to show off my work. They said, "It looks nice but it's too small!!" I fired back with, "What have you guys built?" None of them build. They fly ARFs. They are for the most part against electric anyway. They still think of electrics as "toys". They're gonna be in for a shock in a few years when glow motors become dinosaurs!!! Steve.

FlyingMonkey 10-22-2007 03:45 AM

You should have said...

(too small) for your old eyes maybe.

scalercflyer 10-22-2007 03:51 AM

Remark

Or you could have said (like I do) BIG and small I fly them all, what about you? :D Martin

FlyingMonkey 10-22-2007 11:12 AM

not so good of news guys....

here is the reply I got about the US release of the movie...

Dear Fred,

thank you very much for your email and your request. the movie will be released in Germany most likely in spring 2008, the international release is not fix yet.

All best,

Carolin

WWI Ace 10-22-2007 06:04 PM

That's not cool!!! I am talking to Arizona Model Crafters about having a kit made of a 1/5th scale Fokker tripe. I have to call him back tomorrow to see if he can also get a cowl for me. Steve.

WWI Ace 10-23-2007 06:03 PM

Where did everybody go??? Steve.

BUCKSHOT 10-23-2007 06:15 PM

Anyone Got A Lanier Dvii Or Se5a ? AND WILL A PARK 400 WORK FOR THIS PLANE?

Geoffrito 10-24-2007 01:33 AM

whoa, that movie looks cool! The flight scenes look awesome, if a bit......accelerated?
My only criticism is the british planes! all gone....oh the horror!!!!!!

kensp 10-24-2007 02:44 AM

A 1/6 Scale Depron SE5a.

I am slowly working on a 1/6 scale Depron SE5a. This model will weigh less than 30 oz but because the flying wires will be structural I do not anticipate any problems with the strength of the structure. Top speed should be 20 mph. This is a bit faster than scale speed but not much. The model is designed as a park flier so it will not be fitted with ailerons. At 20 MPH ailerons will probably be more trouble than help in maneuvering the model. The SE5a design has a lot of dihedral so I plan to use then scale dihedral angles. Sorry no photos as the Attach File option is not functioning. Here is my build thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=2#post8415444 Ken

WWI Ace 10-24-2007 03:26 AM

It's about time someone got on here!!! We gotta keep this thing going. Where's Martin and Murph!! They know EVERYTHING about WWI aircraft. Steve.

WWI Ace 10-24-2007 03:31 AM

I don't know of anyone that has any of the Lanier WWI planes. If you can find out what they weigh, you can compare that to the specs on the Eflite 400. If I understand correctly you need about 80watts a pound to fly scale and 100watts plus per pound to fly aerobatics. Hope it helps Buckshot.Steve.

Biplane Murphy 10-24-2007 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 294342)
It's about time someone got on here!!! We gotta keep this thing going. Where's Martin and Murph!! They know EVERYTHING about WWI aircraft. Steve.

I wish.... Martin is the one who knows so very much!!!!!..... I just know I like the WW1 planes, and enjoy flying them.....

Oh yeah.... I like about 200+ watts per pound for scale flight.:D:Q;-)
Just kidding..... about the scale flight part that is....

Steve.... I think I am shipping out a Male springer spaniel pup to Texas pretty soon....haven't worked out all the details yet, but it looks like the pup will be a fellow "Texican"...:)

CarreraGTSCS 10-24-2007 04:53 AM

I don't know, I watch these kinds of film with very low expectations regarding the script and historical accuracy, not that my knowledge of the era is expert. I really liked "Pearl Harbor" and "FLYBOYS" for the flying scenes but the stories were light. I liked "FLYBOYS" more. Seemed like they tried a bit harder to get it right.

Mike

Biplane Murphy 10-24-2007 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS (Post 294409)
I don't know, I watch these kinds of film with very low expectations regarding the script and historical accuracy, not that my knowledge of the era is expert. I really liked "Pearl Harbor" and "FLYBOYS" for the flying scenes but the stories were light. I liked "FLYBOYS" more. Seemed like they tried a bit harder to get it right.

Mike

I just like all the Flying Scenes...... plot is almost not even necessary....

Spoonwasher 10-24-2007 12:54 PM

well gang, I'm watching the movie for it's entertainment and the planes. The politics will likely be hollywoodized anyway to better sell the movie.I don't think hollywood ever made 30million on a documentry.Probably never will.So,they need jazz,politics, villan,hero,fair maidens to rescue and somewhere they will shove in some kind of animal to try and make the movie seem more real.That's hollywood and that's what makes money , but I look forward to seeing the movie just the same.
Don

Spoonwasher 10-24-2007 01:10 PM

Oh, by the way..I'm a builder ,sratch and kits,glow &Electric and still a little rubber.Old school I know but that's what I enjoy of the hobby, it's diversity and creativity and challenges.AND , a big AND...the people I get to meet..you are a great bunch,just great!
Don

WWI Ace 10-24-2007 11:34 PM

I'm still waiting to get a price on the Arizona Models kit. He's still checking to see if he has a cowl for it. I guess he isn't going to give me a price on cutting the kit till he finds it. I'm asking about a .40 size Fokker tripe. Steve.

Franny 10-24-2007 11:47 PM

Hey, Steve? AerodromeRC has a .40 size DRI; well AXI 2826 size...

Franny

Franny 10-25-2007 12:24 AM

You too Don!

f

scalercflyer 10-25-2007 01:17 AM

Indoor facility

Here is a short video of our new flying facility. I'm looking forward to being nice and warm this winter as we fly. Just had to share!!!! :D BTW, I'm really mad about the RB movie not having a release date yet for the USA!!! :mad: Man, do I need to see that movie BAD!!!! Martin

http://www.sjsf.org/video/PSC.wmv

scalercflyer 10-25-2007 01:32 AM

No Fear

Have no fear my Friends! :D I will be glad to attest to the authenticity of the RB film (when I see it)! BTW, Mike, Steve, Murph, Don, Franny and all, I too am only interested in the flying scenes. I have enjoyed for many years the combat flying in the BLUE MAX and now in FLYBOYS. I must admit though, that I am annoyed when a Tripe does a 90 degree turn behind a tree at ground level and then climbs like a WWII fighter! :roll: But you have to admit, it sure gives you the flavor of WWI aerial combat. ;-) Long Live WWI model aviation! Martin

scalercflyer 10-25-2007 01:36 AM

Don the Builder

Don, you echo my thoughts and beliefs exactly! I too love all aspects of building and flying in this wonderful hobby. It's a darn shame we all couldn't get together and fly in the war choked skies. Oh Well, perhaps someday... Martin

Biplane Murphy 10-25-2007 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 294779)
Here is a short video of our new flying facility. I'm looking forward to being nice and warm this winter as we fly. Just had to share!!!! :D BTW, I'm really mad about the RB movie not having a release date yet for the USA!!! :mad: Man, do I need to see that movie BAD!!!! Martin

http://www.sjsf.org/video/PSC.wmv

That looks like a great Indoor site..... no wind... ever......or rain or snow or cold.........:)

The shouldn't be putting trailers out for movies this early......waiting forever is not going to be fun.:mad:

WWI Ace 10-25-2007 02:12 AM

Thanks Franny! I know Aerodrome has a .40 size tripe kit but I got something special for my birthday to go in a glow plane. I tried again tonight to figure out what's wrong with either my computer or camera. For some reason it is locked and won't let my memory card download. I'll keep trying though and hopefully get some tripe pics posted. Steve.

Biplane Murphy 10-25-2007 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 294802)
Thanks Franny! I know Aerodrome has a .40 size tripe kit but I got something special for my birthday to go in a glow plane. I tried again tonight to figure out what's wrong with either my computer or camera. For some reason it is locked and won't let my memory card download. I'll keep trying though and hopefully get some tripe pics posted. Steve.

Those Arizona kits look cool...I was eyeing them a while back.....and the Proctor kits as well.....

http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...vk/dr1/dr1.htm

I have the perfect .70 4-stroke for that one..... It was designed around the specific engine I have...... Maybe in the springtime I'll have the time and energy to do that one.....