WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

degreen60 07-23-2007 09:28 AM

Now to start a fight.(kidding) The DR1 was opsolescent when it hit the battle front. The allies had already replace the Sopwith Triplane. The Red Baron got most of his kills in an Albatros. The skill of the German pilots made the DR1 what is was. Only about 350 were built. The D VII was a much better plane. The Camel has the most kills of any WW1 plane. Now that said I do like the looks of a triplane flying.

Cookie 07-23-2007 11:30 PM

Regarding the Electrifly Dr1, I repositioned the aileron linkages for less throw. The elevator control servo is at the least sensitive that I can connect the linkages at and the transmitter is adjusted to the least amount of throw. I think I finally got it trimmed to where it's somewhat confortable to fly, however it's not a "hands off" flyer by any means. The 2215-22 with the added downthrust in the motor mount set-up has plenty of power to climb when I go to full throttle.

Yes, the Dr1 was obsolete in WW1, but it sure looks cool flying around with three wings. Reminds me of one of those goofy looking planes in the "Dastardly and Muttley" or "Catch the pigeon" cartoons. Whatever that cartoon was called.

WWI Ace 07-24-2007 12:06 AM

Hey degreen60 how are ya? Good to hear from you even if you are slamming my favorite WWI plane! Yeah you're right about the tripe. But the crazy lift it produced allowed those good pilots to pull off extraordinary manuovers. Yes it wasn't the greatest airplane of the war but probably the deadliest in the right hands. Look at how well Mr. Voss did against all those Allied pilots!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy 07-24-2007 12:42 AM

speaking of Dr1's..........Haven't started mine yet, but a fellow club member wants me to maiden his for him!!! If he has it ready I'll wring it out for him on saturday!!

Hey Cookie.....my friend is not the "most accomplished" pilot yet, can you measure the up/down etc...for your throws?
I don't want him to be unable to fly it!!
Most of my flying buddies will not touch my planes (too twitchy for them)
So It'll really help him to have a "reasonable setup!!

Thanks.....Murph.........

Cookie 07-24-2007 02:34 AM

Murph,
Here are the throws:
Ailerons: 1/2" up and 1/2" down
Elevator: 1/2" up and 1/2" down
Rudder: 1-1/2" left and 1-1/2" right

First time I've actually measured the throws. I just "eyeballed" them. Gee, maybe that's one reason it's twitchy. You think? ??

Biplane Murphy 07-24-2007 02:39 AM

Thanks Cookie..........So you like this setup right?
Are there any throws you would like to change?

Murph.......

Cookie 07-24-2007 02:55 AM

I would decrease the elevator throw and aileron throw to maybe 3/8". With 1/2" throws, it responds a little fast for an intermediate flyer. What's an intermediate flyer? That's another question in itself.

Don't forget, I have a standard 4 channel transmitter with servo reverse and sensativity adjustment. No other bells and whistles. You can probably dial in a lot more control features and adjustments if you have the more modern transmitter type.

My flying buddy said that if you could work the rudder and ailerons at the same time you'd get smoother turns. I have to use both sticks to do that. He says use the rudder to start the turn then go to the ailerons to complete the turn. I just use the ailerons and elevator. Now I'm getting into the "too much information" zone. I'll shut up.:Q

Biplane Murphy 07-24-2007 03:35 AM

Thanks again Cookie..........He has a 9CAP futaba tx. Lots of flexibility.
I appreciate the quick response.

Murph.............

Cookie 07-24-2007 04:06 AM

You're welcome.

Biplane Murphy 07-26-2007 12:10 AM

Naked Dr1

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys..............opened up the GP Dr1 today............
And then proceeded to strip off the covering!!!!:<

Started a thread to follow the recover and paint etc....

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...34364&posted=1

So here's a photo of the "Bare Bones".....:)

Murph.........

P.S. thanks for the color scheme Martin !!!!

WWI Ace 07-26-2007 12:24 AM

That's gonna be cool Murph!!! Steve.

scalercflyer 07-28-2007 12:58 AM

A little history lesson

I love the smell of DRI triplanes in the morning.... The Sopwith triplane's performance in combat started a stampede of designs by the Germans all based on the three wing layout. As history tells us, the DRI was not stable and had to be flown all the time (sounds like some of the comments I just read). If one imagines a flat board sitting on top of a giant ball bearing located at it's center, a sense of the flying characteristics of this plane can be appreciated. It is and was directionally unstable. This ability made it an ideal fighter. It did however, have several draw backs, one being it's slow speed. The Voss fight demonstrated the DRI's outstanding ability to dogfight close in. Werner Voss put bullets into every one of 56 squadron's planes during this epic fight. As a matter of fact, a couple of them were right offs, being too badly damaged to repair. One of the maneuvers he used was a flat spin. The rudder was kicked and opposite ailerons applied, resulting in a flat turn and a nasty surprise for 56 Squadron pilots as they flew past the tripe. Another worthy note about this fight was that Voss could have simply climbed out of the fight and escaped ( the DRI could outclimb the SE5). First hand accounts of this fight stated many times that he was above the SE5s (you Guys should read about it). Such was his pluck that he returned again and again to the fight until he was killed. History also tells us that no design stays on top for long (in any air war). In WWI, the air war was changing too fast. The Fokker DRI remains as one of the most recognizable planes of all time and my all time personal favorite. After all, who hasn't heard about Snoopy fighting the Red Baron? martin

Cookie 07-28-2007 01:50 AM

Yep. That's how it flies. Just like the real thing.

Biplane Murphy 07-28-2007 05:54 AM

tripes

2 Attachment(s)
Speaking of triplanes.....a flying buddy had his GP Dr1 1/2 done and asked me to finish her.

Here she is.....spent the afternon\on/evening on it!!
Ready to hunt SE5a's...

Murph.......

WWI Ace 07-28-2007 02:53 PM

That Martin is one smart puppy!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy 07-28-2007 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve.....do you mean like this?......

sorry....couldn't resist.:)

Cookie 07-28-2007 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Remember Murph, you started this!!

Got my flight jacket on. Ready to go chase the Red Baron.

Biplane Murphy 07-28-2007 08:14 PM

Dr1 maiden

7 Attachment(s)
Maidened my buddies Dr1 for him this morning.........
Blue skies....No wind....No pesky Brits in sight....
Perfect conditions.

Took off quickly...lots of power...Stock setup except 1250 Kv instead of 950 Kv motor.

Climbed massively....went to trim her out, but before we could the motor mount seperated from the plane!!!!:<
Ate the cowl!!!:blah:

Then I had to deadstick a motorless, Tailheavy (no motor), High drag tripe!!!:roll:

Managed to land her in one piece.....except the no motor thing.;-)

Here's some photos....

I will be heavily reinforcing the motor mount on mine!!!!
Triangle stock on inside, and fiberglass/epoxy around the outside of the corners......At the minimum!!!!!

Murph...........

scalercflyer 07-29-2007 02:08 AM

WWI pics

Just thought I would share this website with you Guys. It has some very nice WWI aviation paintings/art. I select the picture I like, right click on it with the mouse and then set as background. It will put the picture on your desktop. Change it as often as you want. Enjoy! Martin

http://www.militaryartgallery.com/

Cookie 07-29-2007 03:22 AM

scalercflyer, thanks. Some neat pictures there.

WWI Ace 07-29-2007 05:19 AM

Hey Murph, that puppy is too cute to be Martin!!! Haha!! Steve.

robinairerc 07-31-2007 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by turnwaldw (Post 3237)
Stickhead
I have been eyeing the site for awhile hopeing the DVIII comes out soon I think that would make an awesome electric setup. Plus looking at a few other kits they have they really look very good in quality.
Dave

Hi Dave, and all. I have a set of original Miniature Aircraft D8 plans, with a sheet of former and rib outlines, and would be happy to copy them, full size, for anyone, for cost of copying and mailing. Originally for free flight and control line. 39" span, and construction is such that it would be easy to reduce weight, not having to put a gassy up front. Also have 40" span SE-5 (Norm Holm) and 46-1/4" span Sopwith Tripe (Norman Deitchman) plans. Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach, FL

scalercflyer 07-31-2007 02:56 AM

WWI Plans

Dave and all my Fellow WWI nuts! I too have a set of DVIII plans both small and large. The small plans are about 36" and the large at 72" and I have 1 more set of Cleveland plans. As always Guys, any and all plans I have are available to anyone here for the cost of copying and postage. I LOVE to share them. As a matter of fact, most of the plans I have are swaps or obtained from magazines. Some of the plans that I have are: Sopwith Tripe, Fokker DVIII (again 3 sizes), Eindekker (2 sizes, 1 for indoor), Albatros DVA (1 small and 1 one quarter scale), Fokker DVI, Sopwith Pup, Pfalz DIII, Albatros DII, DH5, Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter, BE2, Pfalz E3, Bristol Type C, Sopwith Dolphin, N11, Donnier L, Morane Type N, DH2, Brisfit (Thanks Murph!), Bristol Scout Type C, Sopwith Camel, Ansaldo, and SE5a. All of these plans are for electric with one or two slimers. The slimers are easily converted to electric. There may be one or two I missed. Have to look. Let me know Boys. Yeah Murph, I still owe you a set. I haven't forgotten! You too Steve. Martin

Biplane Murphy 07-31-2007 03:01 AM

Hi Martin.......You truly are a man with many plans....hehehehe

Did you see my motor mount beef up? I think its bullet proof now!!

Murph.......

scalercflyer 07-31-2007 03:21 AM

I saw it!

Yes indeed Murph! I saw it and I likey, likey. I plan to copy your mod. BTW, what did GP have to say about it? Martin