WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   ParkFlyers (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Parkflyers - Where do you fly them? (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79366)

AEAJR 05-29-2018 08:44 PM

Parkflyers - Where do you fly them?

I belong to a club so I do all of my flying at our flying field.

Do you fly at a club field or do you fly in the parks? I am wondering where people are flying?

It is not like the old gas and glow days when you would light up the engine and everyone for 1/2 a mile knew you were there. Even teh fast planes are pretty quiet and we can fly with most people not even noticing we are there.

• Parking lots?
  • Schools?
  • public parks?
  • designated model airplane fields?
  • Other?

Where are you guys finding places to fly?:tc:

firemanbill 05-29-2018 09:53 PM

Club President for the Smoky Mountain Aero Club so most of my flying is there. But I do fly some parkies and smaller stuff in my backyard after work some days.

Don Sims 05-29-2018 11:59 PM

Side yard for the small stuff, local park or club that's about an hour away for the larger aircraft.

Panther 05-30-2018 12:08 AM

Club at weekends but it is all of a 10 second walk to my paddock any time.

F22trainer 06-09-2018 06:49 PM

AMPS Field in Phoenix, however there is a Park I want to try where I see flyers from the freeway as I pass by. Carbon Cub or the L-4 might be a good fit there.

Fishbonez 06-09-2018 08:17 PM

Depends. If I am doing nothing more than LOS then club field. If I wish to fly miniquads or racing quads (with gates) then park. FPV Planes are always fun outside of the park or club. Just need to make sure its legal to fly.

solentlife 06-09-2018 09:41 PM

40min drive to Club field ... or 1.5hrs drive to Ex Soviet Fighter airfield ...

I do occasionally walk across the road to the grass area - but last time had to get Fire People to rescue my plane out of the tree !

The area 5 mins from me - is now banned as it is too close to airport and we have to remove our 'runway' !! All 1 ton of it.

Nigel

dahawk 06-09-2018 10:26 PM

I fly at our club field about 15 min away. Geez Nigel, in 1.5 hours you could be in Estonia, Lithuania or Russia!

hayofstacks 06-11-2018 01:36 AM

I fly at a local park if there's no kids around. Then I have a big chunk of salt flats about 10 minutes from my house, then about 45 minutes away (in a 80mph speed zone) we have a county owned non ama public field.

solentlife 06-11-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 1013435)
I fly at our club field about 15 min away. Geez Nigel, in 1.5 hours you could be in Estonia, Lithuania or Russia!

Ha Ha .... actually 6hrs to Estonia ... 4hrs to Russia ... 4 hrs to Lithuania.

Ventspils remember is north-west coast.

Nigel

mclarkson 06-12-2018 10:53 AM

I fly nearby parks and schoolyards, mainly the latter. I've never been much of a joiner and the only real club in the area is :censor:.

E-Challenged 11-06-2018 06:47 PM

I fly my electric powered models at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa, CA. A $55 annual city permit plus AMA membership or equivalent home insurance is required to fly there. I also am a member of a club that flies there . Only electric power or sailplanes are permitted to fly there.

smithdoor 01-30-2019 03:50 AM

I start with 0.60 engine and no muffler back in 1966
you could here the planes for miles. The club would here about it. Later ever one had to use mufflers , it help some . Still lost the field

Dave

Originally Posted by AEAJR;

It is not like the old gas and glow days when you would light up the engine and everyone for 1/2 a mile knew you were there. Even teh fast planes are pretty quiet and we can fly with most people not even noticing we are there.

SKYPILEIT 10-03-2020 01:38 AM

I've been flying my Switchback at Mayberry state park in Northville, Mich this summer. Of course also my RC club.

www.unitedflying.org

https://i.imgur.com/ew7DpTU.jpg