WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

Franny 06-19-2007 07:39 PM

Hi Murph,

The Tripe is flying great! I swapped out the RX for a Spektrum AR6100 and it flies like it is on rails. It sure would be fun to see something else from that era at the field - a few too many Strykers/foam/?? I'm afraid... Well, at least the Colorado skies are free from any allied attacks ;)

I was just about to unsubscribe to this thread as it was getting far to silly for my tastes. I hope that is past and we can get back to talking about airplanes. Thanks to you guys for reining it back in a bit.

Franny

Biplane Murphy 06-19-2007 07:58 PM

Amen Franny............Now if we could hear the latest from Steve and Martin.........I suspect they are busy collaborating on building a FULL SCALE Fokker DVIII with electric power.:)

Murph....

P.S. who knows about that Bristol f2b? Martin?

Franny 06-19-2007 08:55 PM

Hey Murph? Have you checked out http://www.aerodromeRC.com ? They have a couple Bristols. Looks like a "Scout" and a BE2C. These are great kits.

-- Franny

watt_the?! 06-19-2007 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 213846)
Amen Franny............Now if we could hear the latest from Steve and Martin.........I suspect they are busy collaborating on building a FULL SCALE Fokker DVIII with electric power.:)

Murph....

P.S. who knows about that Bristol f2b? Martin?

didnt peter rake do one?

watt_the?! 06-19-2007 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Franny (Post 213834)
..... a few too many Strykers/foam/?? I'm afraid... .....

:silly:...foam good....stryker bad...:tc:

Biplane Murphy 06-19-2007 11:24 PM

Thanks Franny and Watt_the .............found the peter rake one last night. No ailerons. Aerodrome didn't seem to have one.
I'm thinking big----60"-80" would be nice. Even just plans would be great.
Usually use engines on big stuff, However a big electric would be cool too!!

Thanks guys.........Murph........Any more ideas, please let me know!!

WWI Ace 06-19-2007 11:50 PM

We need to find Martin!!! That man has plans for just about any WWI plane!!! He is also VERY good about sharing them. Emailed him to wish him a happy Fathers Day but haven't heard back. Very strange, I'm starting to get worried!! He's one of my very best friends!! Also, as Franny said, thanks guys for getting the thread back on track!! When I started it I wanted it to be helpful and informative for all of us. I've met some very good people on here that all have a interest in WWI planes. I live in the middle of nowhere so without you guys I'm kinda on my own. I would love to build a full size DVII with Martin though!!! Still workin' on the Fokker tripe. Steve.

Biplane Murphy 06-20-2007 12:10 AM

WW1ace.......thats how I feel too!!:) I live in a town of 7,000. Surrounded by millions of trees. My RC club is only 23 members, and a busy day at the field is 6 or 7 guys. Only one other guy has a WW1 bipe. My two and his one are arfs. I really need to build a good big one to be happy.

Martin....where are yooooooouuuuuu?

Murph "the poor lonely ww1 plane needing guy"

P.S. my GP Fokker tripe is still on eternal backorder.:blah:

Saucerguy2 06-20-2007 12:21 AM

Fresh off of the workbench

2 Attachment(s)
I just wanted to show you guys the latest WWI bird fresh off of the workbench. I reached the point where I can maiden it, the more detail I'm adding to it, the more reluctant I'm wanting to fly it so opted to gear it up and get it airborn before proceeding forward with the rigging, exaust stacks and the rest of the details including the decals.

I did this one as a sport version SAE5 to make it fun to fly, otherwise if I left it stock, I'd get bored with it quickly. The build log is at: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ewpost&t=19016

WWI Ace 06-20-2007 01:40 AM

Cool Plane Saucerguy!!! I've checked my WWI reference material and I can't find that colorscheme anywhere!! What pilot flew it!!! Just kidding!! VERY nice building!

WWI Ace 06-20-2007 01:52 AM

My town is no bigger than yours Murph! But we don't have many trees here so I guess I'm lucky. We have 3-4 big schoolyards, a huge city park with a lake and rodeo arena, soccer field, and an old slimer RC field. Haven't seen any action out there in awhile. Grass is grown up now. The runway is so rough it's hard to get anything smaller than a .25 size plane to take off! I like to fly at the city park the best. I use the softball field parking lot for a runway. The older people like to walk out there so I have to be safe but they LOVE to watch my planes. Especially my 40"ws Fokker tripe!! Some of them talk to me. They're very nice and one of them was a B-24 pilot in WWII!!! I'm sure that a few of them think it's silly to see a 41 year old playing with his TOY planes! My 9yr. old has a Aeroace bipe and he goes sometimes if he's up. He's a crazy pilot but fun to fly with!! Steve.

Saucerguy2 06-20-2007 01:55 AM

color scheme

I tend to not build to any particular color scheme, partially to make it easier along visual orientation and partially just to be different, that and I tend to pick up coverings prior to committing to any particular build, so use what I have on hand.

Thanks for the kind words on the build, it's been fun and being able to customize it to my preferences really makes it my own unique creation.

Biplane Murphy 06-20-2007 02:04 AM

wow steve.....you truly have to fly alone. My club is small but we fly slimers, gassers, and electric. also heli's are welcome.
a few schools around. A group of non-AMA electric guys fly on one of the bluffs above the Pacific, I have flown my SE5a there. decent dirt road for landing/taking-off.

small towns are great, but not too much opportunity for RC modeling.
We do have a small hobby shop though.

Murph............

Biplane Murphy 06-20-2007 05:00 AM

blue dr1

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Franny found this photo on another thread in "RCU". No posted info on where color scheme came from.:)

Kiwi 06-20-2007 05:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another shot of the F2B, this time in it's newer scheme. I have "quite a lot" of photos as I have worked on aircraft for over forty years, of which quite a few years were done on vintage aircraft.
Murph, funny you should mention Papua New Guinea as I spent some time there salvaging WW2 birds in the early 70s. Although it's OT for this thread I'll throw one in to tantalize you!

Biplane Murphy 06-20-2007 06:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kiwi.........I thought you'd like the Papau New Guinea comment, being "Next door" and all. You have all the best photos. The Bristol Photos
make me want one (smaller of course) Found a kit Made in U.K. by Flair models. $290. 76" wingspan? Reaserched a bit on net......3 surviving and still flyable including Mr. Jackson's. Even found photos and info on his in the wikipedia site. If you have any more photos of that one, I would sure appreciate them!! I was thinking of building a balsa usa 1/4 Dr1, but now I really want to do the Bristol fighter instead. What I've read implies a great handling bird that held its own against the "Huns".

Thanks for the great photos!!

Murph.......

Kiwi 06-20-2007 11:04 AM

Hey Murph, PNG isn't that close, there a lump of dirt called Australia in the way.
Bristol F2B, Flying Scale Models for March 06 had a 36" span one by Peter Rake for a Speed 400 as a free plan.

Kiwi 06-21-2007 11:14 AM

Murph, have a look here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523854

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=Bristol+F2B

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=Bristol+F2B

Biplane Murphy 06-21-2007 04:48 PM

Thanks Kiwi............last night I found the one in the first link. awesome build!! Just took a peek at other two, and will read through them after work.

Murph.........

Biplane Murphy 06-22-2007 06:14 AM

HI GUYS....read the peter rake prototype build thread for F2b. found a source for "short kit' and plans...about $50. With a little "Kit bashing" for ailerons, this might be a great little bird. Now I have to decide to go big or small.......Hmmmmmm........

Where's Martin?.......I think I remember him mentioning Peter Rake designs before.

Thanks for the help Kiwi.........Now I have decisions to make!!

Murph..........

robinairerc 06-22-2007 08:03 PM

Hi Murph; I have the perfect solution to choosing big or little----build BOTH!!! Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach.

WWI Ace 06-23-2007 12:57 AM

Hey Murph did you get your kit from www.manzanolaser.com or somewhere else? Steve.

Biplane Murphy 06-23-2007 01:19 AM

Kit

That,s the source I found. Haven't called yet. Have to decide between 80" and 38"............Hmmmmmmm.......... Big is nice.......small is cheaper...........Hmmmmmm......

Murph......

WWI Ace 06-28-2007 11:21 PM

Good news all!! Heard from Martin, he's been having some health problems but he's still alive!!! I'll be glad when he gets back on here so we can bug him some more!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy 06-28-2007 11:33 PM

Yea!!!!!!!!!! Martin has been found. Now where,s that pink tripe?
Oh yeah, Its still on backorder!!

Murph..........