WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

Kiwi 06-17-2007 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by das ace (Post 212087)
well, we just mess around. the gotha i mentioned wasn't shot down i landed it next to his tank (with an m80 in the cockpit) and blew it up bye bye sherman. now the air field has a rule no ground-to-air or air-to-ground combat the same for water combat on the pond so, my fokkers are safe to hunt his nieuports my tigers can kill his shermans without fear of air rade and my u-boats can kill his battleships. oh, i forgot to tell you we figured out how to make the guns shoot airsoft BB's and we figured out how to sequence the propeller to fire with out blowing off the propeller and im trying to fire .22 bullets. (lucky for us its a private air field) nieuports beware! well with the L-10 zapplin air plans firing .22 bullets might be a problem. no pics sry :<

Sound like you two need to (a) Grow up and (b) learn to stop trying to Bulls**t people!
I'Ve heard more convincing stories from my 7 year old grandson!!

degreen60 06-17-2007 10:59 AM

[quote=Biplane Murphy;212720]Hi dicknadine....Came across an ad for military decals....
Northeast Screen Graphics (413) 525-7465 majordecals.com

Hey guys.......hope you don't do this..........Electric bipe stuck in the very top of a really really tall cyprus tree. Over 100 feet up.:<
Tree is next door at my friend's.
It's not a ww1 plane. It's my GP Ultimate Biplane ep. but I figured I would share anyway. Tallest tree in pic is the culprit.

Murphy

I have a weight on a rope that I throw into trees to shake them to get planes to fall out. Sometimes they come out in pieces but at least I have them back to repair. I have hungry trees at my house too.

Biplane Murphy 06-17-2007 06:44 PM

degreen60............we tried...my neighbor has a log skidder(looks like a massive tonka toy). Tied the cable around the tree and shook it good. no success. Have to wait for professional tree climber, or wind to knock it down. Tree is really tall. in picture look at base on road, there is the log skidder, it looks real small but the wheels are taller than me.

Murph

Biplane Murphy 06-18-2007 05:41 AM

das ace........I was thinking about guns on model airplanes........
I don't think the "AMA" would look kindly upon that!!
Plus....bullets can easily travel 2 miles or more!!
Very dangerous to you and all the innocent people around!!
Also as an occassional hunter(I have 4 bird dogs--Springer spaniels) You never fire a weapon
into the air unless it's a shotgun, and even then you make darn sure of what is around!!!!

Murph

das ace 06-18-2007 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kiwi (Post 212784)
Sound like you two need to (a) Grow up and (b) learn to stop trying to Bulls**t people!
I'Ve heard more convincing stories from my 7 year old grandson!!

not .22's steel BB's yes very fun

das ace 06-18-2007 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy (Post 212720)
Hi dicknadine....Came across an ad for military decals....
Northeast Screen Graphics (413) 525-7465 majordecals.com

Hey guys.......hope you don't do this..........Electric bipe stuck in the very top of a really really tall cyprus tree. Over 100 feet up.:<
Tree is next door at my friend's.
It's not a ww1 plane. It's my GP Ultimate Biplane ep. but I figured I would share anyway. Tallest tree in pic is the culprit.

Murphy

P.S. das ace.....you and your friend are truly maniacs.:)

yes we are destroying planes tanks and boats:)

Kiwi 06-18-2007 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by das ace (Post 213253)
yes we are destroying planes tanks and boats:)

BULLSH*T!!!!

50+AirYears 06-18-2007 10:41 PM

There is a National combat group who have battles using BB guns on model ships. Very strict rules and only compressed air guns. Face shields and hard hats are mandatory near the pond. According to a couple people I know who participate, even at the relatively slow speeds and close ranges, it takes a lot of shots to get a few hits. Having tried to get aerial photographs of other planes in the air, I figure hitting a remote aircraft target from another RC vehicle while both are moving would be even harder.

Also know a couple people who have put blank firing mechanisms on model ships. One RC model of the USS Texas had .38s for the main batteries, and .22 for the secondaries. Blanks only! Builder's attitude towards firing real bullets from a model is anyone even trying it deserves long term free room and board courtesy of the State for criminal stupidity.

He is too lenient!

robinairerc 06-18-2007 10:55 PM

Where do I find that pic? I had a similar experience with a rubber-powered Korda Wakefield, back around 1940 or 41. It was in a really tall tree, although I don't know an exact size. But an uncle of mine climbed the tree to within about 8or 10 ft of it and shook the tree top, and it came down. ( the plane, not my uncle!) In fact, straight down! But it pulled out of its dive---just in time to run into another tree!! Major repair required!!. Lee Robinson

Biplane Murphy 06-19-2007 12:50 AM

tree

Robinairerc.........Check post #1300 for pics of a model airplane in the tallest tree ever!!:<

Murphy.

Hey guys........I have been told in Japan they fly around with .22 armed models, and shoot each other down. Suppossed to be on T.V. like a game show. They supposedly have bulletproof domes to hide the pilots, navigators, gunners, etc.. in.

Also Water combat with subs..Battleships etc... all enclosed in bulletproof domes..

I suspect "das ace" is a kid and has seen these programs.:)

I don't believe any parent would permit the wanton destruction of numerous 1/4 scale models (costing a couple thousand dollars each!!).:<

"das ace"........perhaps your stories are as tall as the tree in post #1300..
hehehehehehehehehe:)

Biplane Murphy 06-19-2007 01:28 AM

WW1 planes

So...back to the matter at hand.........
Scalercflyer......What are you building these days??? Hows the tripe coming along?

WW1ace......What are you building These days? weren't you guys simultaneously building fokker DVIII's?

Franny....... how's that really nice blue DR1 flyin' these days?

Dicknadine...... did you find scale markings for your two seaters?

Kiwi.....I suspect you have a few more sweeeeeet photos out there in Kiwiland!!

Ron in Canada........What beautiful model are you building now? Have you broken down and gone with Li-poly or Li-ion batts yet?

All you other guys and gals.........What are you building etc...

I'm thinking a 1/4 scale bird with 2-3 wings for this fall/winter build. I think maybe I would like to try a scratch build this time.
Martin...Any ideas for a WW1 bipe or tripe that is super manueverable and fun to fly, perhaps rarely modeled. I have only covered planes with film. Thinking about giving fabric covering a try. My 82 year old mentor is quite good at it!

So guys lets get this great thread back on track....please!!
:):tc::$:Q:p:D:cool:;)

Murph....................

joebugs1 06-19-2007 01:56 AM

finally

yes, please
this thread was starting to get quite ridiculous

now, let me get back to my lurking

Kiwi 06-19-2007 04:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, You've twisted my arm, here are another couple for you.

Biplane Murphy 06-19-2007 04:27 AM

Hooray!!

Kiwi.......I knew you had more photos for us.

Murph....

Forgive my ignorance..........But which planes are these. Is the silver-gray one a Nieport? etc..

So Kiwi.........have you made models of all these planes yet? hehehehehe!!

Kiwi 06-19-2007 05:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Murph, those last two were a DH 5 and a Nieuport 17.
Funny we have so many here, we are as far as you possibly get from the skies of France yet here they all are.
Have another Since I took this one it has been repainted in a wartime scheme.

Biplane Murphy 06-19-2007 05:40 AM

Well.......Kiwi.......if you guys are invaded by Papau New Guinea you will be well defended!!! hehehehehe.

So what was that last one? Some kind of scout plane I suppose?

Murph.....

Kiwi 06-19-2007 05:51 AM

Bristol F2B Fighter

Biplane Murphy 06-19-2007 05:58 AM

That one looks very interesting. four ailerons. Lower wing looks lower than fuselage and mounted on struts. Two seater? Round cowl.
Flat sides of Fuselage.

This one might make a great model. How well did they fly?

Where's Martin when we need him?

Murph..........

Spoonwasher 06-19-2007 10:34 AM

Hello Murph,and the rest of the guys, You 2 Franny...just dropped by the thread to see what's up, been on patrol with my SE5 inbetween practices for pylon racing my Delta slimmer..LoL.Attrition is high in this sport, renaming it to "Pile -In racing" as one guy flew right through my plane in a corner. Now that's real Combat ! my SE5 sure is a lot more relaxing and cleaner. Going to build an Endecker for more relaxed flying too. Tripe, maybe this winter with some encouragement from you folks.
And Das Ace...there is "NO SAFE" place to shoot weapons of any kind in ! PERIOD!especially model aircraft.
Don

50+AirYears 06-19-2007 02:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Spoonwasher, I agree wholeheartedly. Anybody tries it deserves to be forced to stand in front of the guns for the first test firing. And not with the aiming point below waist level or above hairline. Try with the guns bore sighted in their strike zone. I'd eliminate the head as a possible target zone because anybody who'd try it wouldn't have anything there that could be damaged.

Nice day at our club field Sunday. A beautiful detailed SE-5, with about any access panel and lacing or other surface feature I've ever seen on picture or drawings of the full size, and a fabric covered Fokker D-VII in the blue and white winged sword color scheme, hand painted lozenge patterns on the underside of the wings, including the discontinuity on the seam lines to match pictures of the originals. Also sprung tail skid and the dummy machine guns mounted to pivot up, which on the original allowed the pilot access to the breech mechanisms either for quick reloading or for clearing jams. Both quarter scale. Both beautiful flyers.

I'm trying to attach three photos of some of the WW I jobs were at our last club show. The Hansa has appeared in Model Aviation, and RCSCALEBUILDER.com has a DVD on the ME110 construction available. Both are scratch built, and both fly great.

das ace 06-19-2007 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kiwi (Post 213360)
BULLSH*T!!!!

skeptics, i don't like em they say nessies a myth

das ace 06-19-2007 06:28 PM

hello murph i'm actualy 25 years old and have seen these programs and thats what in inspired me to try to recreat this awesome display of destruction

Biplane Murphy 06-19-2007 06:52 PM

Spoonwasher..........Don't feel bad about a little contact.
one of our club guys looped a pylon racer right into a lazy bee the other day. Rained balsa all over the field! No damage to pylon racer.

50+airyears........nice pics.

das ace..........I am only 38 (just a whippersnapper in the modeling world)
Please don't irritate the "older guys" They are an priceless asset to everyone. Please keep your posts to the matter at hand......WW1 airplanes. I personally would appreciate it if you didn't ruin this great forum
with young man aggression.

P.S. the guy that taught me to fly and build is 82, and could outfly just about anybody I know!!!

Murph...........

50+AirYears 06-19-2007 07:01 PM

That P-39 in the first picture was built by my former instructor. He taught me RC flying about 30 years ago. His specialty is taking that Enya powered job on fin dragging high speed inverted passes in both directions at the far edge of the runway. I've only done that kind of thing with control line models. He's about 73. That particular plane is about 4 years old. Gets about 15 to 18 flights per week during the summer.

Biplane Murphy 06-19-2007 07:33 PM

Hey guys....have any of you ever seen a model of a Bristol F2b??
found a kit by "Flair" in the U.K. Has anyone seen one of their kits?
That plane looks so unique I am thouroughly intrigued!!
I just wonder about flight performance.

I like to fly scale, but also enjoy flyin' it like i stole it.

Murph..........