WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

50+AirYears 07-10-2007 01:42 PM

No, I dont have any Plantraco equipment. I do have one of those 4 channel micro systems that Hobby People sells, but figure in might have to go into something a little larger than peanut, maybe something in the 16" to 20" range. I have thought of pulling the radio out of my Hobby People Rookie and doing something with that. A couple of years ago, one of the guys brought a Peanut Scale WW-I era monoplane with a custom 3 channel to one of the Cleveland FF Society FAC contests. Said it was strictly a calm weather flyer, especially since it had such a high wing loading. This naturally brought about some comments about what good is it then, since about 20 people were flying Peanuts and other small rubber powered scale planes in winds that were gusting to about 15 mph.

Of course, later that day at our RC club field, only one or two guys even tried to fly larger RC planes in the same wind conditions. I got my three officials in OHLG at the contest, placed second, and 3 RC flights at the club field. I really don't pay much attention to the wind till it gets over 20.

WWI Ace 07-10-2007 06:18 PM

Hey 50+ did you see my earlier post? I bought a laser cut full kit of a Fokker Eindecker at www.manzanolaser.com for $14.95 + $7.00 shipping! They have alot of Peter Rake small kits for less than $30.00. They range between 24"-30"ws. Steve.

50+AirYears 07-10-2007 08:40 PM

Yes, I caught that this morning just before I had to go to a CPR class at work. I'll have to check their site out. I have been curious to try out one of the Peter Rake designs. I have quite a few of them from AMI and FSM. Back to the old stick and tissue type construction.

Just have to get through about 15 in-process planes first, and I am trying to make up for a year (last year) where I didn't get to do a lot of flying. Then there's all the Honey-dos at home.

Also, for some reason, when I get to do a lot of flying, I seem to find space available at home to fill in with new planes.

WWI Ace 07-11-2007 12:20 AM

I know what you mean 50+!!! About lost the big tripe a couple weeks ago in a cross wind landing, (wind wasn't blowing across runway when I took off!). Got her down okay though. Usually take a heli and a plane when I fly. Charlie has ALOT of Rake designs as laser cut kits. Most are short kits and you can get them with and without plans. Some are full kits. I got a little full kit 'cause it was cheap and I don't already have an Eindecker kit. Heard from Martin. Should be back on here giving us a hard time any day now!!! Steve

scalercflyer 07-11-2007 12:42 AM

You're lucky!

I saw the site about the Ennie! You just happened to NOT mention it was RED didn't you?? Did you think I wouldn't find out Steve??!! You're lucky I'm not close to you! BTW, do you need a long can IPS motor and gear box Steve? Just so happens I have one I'm not using...... Martin.

Biplane Murphy 07-11-2007 02:22 AM

Hey steve...Have you ever built a peter rake "short kit" from "Manzano"
I think I'll order the Bristol F2b tommorrow, but I am a little worried about what doesn't come in the kit!!

Murph..........

WWI Ace 07-11-2007 03:00 AM

Hey Murph just got off the phone with Martin. From what Charlie has told me the short kits are things like wing ribs and bulk heads. If you'll email charlie at [email protected] he'll answer your questions. He's a very nice guy and he'll tell you exactly what's in that kit. I've never built one of their kits but the reviews I've read on them say they're outstanding! They're also affordable!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy 07-11-2007 03:05 AM

Thanks Steve........I'll probably call sometime tommorow and order it, and ask questions as well. We have a limited supply of available Balsa/basswood/musicwire around here..........I'll just have to make do or order through mail etc...

Murph......

WWI Ace 07-11-2007 06:05 PM

Hey Murph I have the same problem here. My LOCAL hobby shop is 60 miles away and they don't always have what I need. Steve.

Biplane Murphy 07-11-2007 08:29 PM

Hi guys....Tried to call Manlano Laser works today. Answering machine....
So E-mailed.Then started to write this post, and they called while I was typing. Wow that was FASSST!!! Vicki was very nice and friendly!!!
Should get my new Bristol F2b "short kit in a few days!! WHOOPIEEEEEE!!!

My GP Dr1 is still on eternal backorder......Very irritated about that!!
They shouldn't advertise them if they can't provide the product.
My LHS ordered it for me 3 months ago!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Murph.........

WWI Ace 07-11-2007 11:19 PM

Glad to hear ya got through Murph!! Should see my little Fokker in a day or two. I think that Manzanolaser is a really good company also. Steve.

Biplane Murphy 07-13-2007 03:43 AM

Talk about service......today I recieved an e-mail with a tracking #.......
Manzano is truly a customer friendly family bussiness.
I will order from them again in the future!!

Now if only GP.....................................

Murph.....

WWI Ace 07-13-2007 11:24 PM

I got my little Eindecker kit. Very good quality! I will be buying more from them. Steve.

Biplane Murphy 07-13-2007 11:54 PM

Sweet!!!..........72 hours to go and my F2b should be here........
Then it will be a Manzano laserworks building festival!!

Murph..........

scalercflyer 07-14-2007 12:05 PM

Tiny Einnie

Murph, Steve, let me know how you make out with the tiny ennies. Sounds like a great idea. I've been toying with the idea of buying the SE 5a kit. Price looks just about right at $54.00. Boys, be sure to look up Heads Up RC on e-bay. This Guy has some nice stuff (motors, etc). What I really like is he tests them and gives you a report so that you can make a correct decision. Also Steve uncovered a Chinese vendor with some dirt cheap prices! I've seen motors that I paid double for on his website for half price! http://www.unitedhobbies.com/ I've decided to put the GP DRI together. Pics to come Lads! Martin

WWI Ace 07-14-2007 04:15 PM

Hey Martin! There are some guys over in the scale plane section of www.rcgroups.com repainting their GP DR1's. They are getting their graphics from www.calliegraphics.com I think. I know there is a Joseph Jacobs and Kemp tripe. Check 'em out!!! Steve.

WWI Ace 07-14-2007 04:18 PM

Ooops!!! That website is www.callie-graphics.com I think.

Biplane Murphy 07-14-2007 10:39 PM

2 more days for F2b........man I'm excited!!!

Murph........

Biplane Murphy 07-14-2007 11:04 PM

P.S. I posted a thank you to Peter Rake and Charlie/Vicki(manzanolazerworks) on Pete's F2b prototype thread at RCG.
They both replied very quickly.What great people!!

Murph........

WWI Ace 07-14-2007 11:06 PM

Hey Guys!! Took some Apple Barrel Leaf Green Acrylic paint from Wally World and thinned it to a wash. Painted it over my sky blue tripe with OD green streaking. I'm much happier with the finish now!!! Time to get back to work on it now. Have you guys ever lost interest in a project because it wasn't turning out as well as you thought? That's what I did with this one but I'm back on track now! Must've just needed to take a break from it to figure out what I needed to do. I was gonna stripe the plane diagonally but the OD wasn't cooperating so I just drybrushed it straight up and down. I have research material that show some painted this way. Now it looks MUCH better!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy 07-14-2007 11:08 PM

Sweet!!!!

scalercflyer 07-15-2007 02:56 AM

Texans!

Apple barrell leaf green indeed! Must be something in the water in Texas! I wonder if I can find a reference to that color in my FOKKER TRIPLANE book. Only kidding Buddy! I'm thrilled that you are back on track. Did you Guys notice my last e-mail? I'm going to build the GP tripe. I'm going to do her ala VR, without an all red camo scheme (see previous post). I figure it will save me about 40% of the paint job. Or I might opt to do something else. Murph what's going on in your neck of the woods? I have a fun fly with the club tomorrow. BTW, here is a picture of your's truly at our fun fly. I'm the one on the left (sorta look like a stuffed frog!), other Guy is the club Pres. Notice the German crosses on my Aerohog bipe. Makes it fly better! Keep those planes coming Boys! Martinhttp://www.sjsf.org/SJSFimages/Indoo...8/S4010191.jpg

Biplane Murphy 07-15-2007 04:07 AM

Hey Martin.......someone didn't allow your photo..........
I finally retrieved my Bipe int the tree.........climber said it was 110 feet up!!! Fixed it and re-maidened it today!!
It had a brand new 11.1v 2100 lipo in it.......2 weeks depleted the voltage to 2 volts:blah: So I put it on a parallel connector with a 11.1v 1320 lipofor a couple of minutes........It came back to 10.78 in a heartbeat!!:) So I slow charged it with a "blinky balancer" attached and it seems as good as new.
Flew with that Batt twice today!!!!

less than 48 hours till F2b arrival!!:Q:):tc:

6 Noisy 8 day old springer spaniel pups interfering with my sleep pattern!:sad:

Murph.............

My Gp dr1 is on forever pushed back eternal backorder.....I may have a stroke soon!!:)

WWI Ace 07-15-2007 08:32 PM

Murph if your kit from manzano looks as good as mine you'll be very happy!!! Steve.

WWI Ace 07-15-2007 09:47 PM

Actually Martin the Leaf Green you're making fun of matches the color of a tripe in one of the books you sent me almost exactly!! So take that Mr. Make Fun Of Texas!!! Ha ha!! Truthfully, it really is a pretty close match. Especially for $.44 a bottle paint! Do you need for me to send you some RED for your tripe? Steve.