WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

CHELLIE 02-11-2007 04:59 AM

Thank you very very much Degreen60, I looked at your plane and got some ideas from what I could see of it, and managed to make a landing gear, your plane was a pattern that I used, Thank you again, Chellie

Spoonwasher 02-11-2007 06:45 PM

http://ca.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/...browse/d435?c= my SE5a

Spoonwasher 02-11-2007 06:47 PM

Sorry guys..thias photo thing just isn't working...sh---*!

degreen60 02-11-2007 07:21 PM

Try this to post picture here. Go to bottom of screen. Click "go advance". Click on paper clip. That should bring up browse window. Find the picture and click "upload". Click on paper clip again and do an insert. Hope this helps. Don

dicknadine 02-12-2007 02:54 AM

photo's

why is it so da-- DIFFICULT TO UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD PHOTOS ON THE COMPUTOR?? it makes too many of us, non compitor jokers want throw our expensive computors in the trash bucket. the machine says point and click and then get 'you done it wrong again and again'. dick

Spoonwasher 02-12-2007 11:47 AM

my SE5a

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 24106

Attachment 24107
:p Thanks Don...as soon as I saw the advanced features I came around..:rolleyes: .. Don Mc...

degreen60 02-12-2007 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 24113

Is the SE5a a Sig Kavan? I have the Albatross. I was flying with the motor that came with the plane and it did not last very long. I now have a brushless in it. My first try at using a brushless.

Spoonwasher 02-12-2007 03:18 PM

Hello Don
No, this SE5a is the Great Planes kit. Now, Going Brushless is the way as the brushed motors just don't last and wont give you the power or duration. Also Brushed motors love to eat up batteries quickly. I used the GP recommended RimFire and a 25amp brushless ESC.1250mah 3 cell lipo too although a 2 cell would fly it nicely .I dont know how your motor for your Kavan kit is mounted in the plane so I couldn't be sure what to recommend for you as a motor set up. Mine is a Great planes RimFire outrunner- 28-30-950 GPMG4560, Electrfly Silver Series 25amp ESC-GPMM1820, 1250 mah 3 cell lipo and 10x4.5 APC prop.(make sure if your ordering to get the recommended prop adapter and bullet adapters...it makes all the hardware easier to put together,and it's not expensive..just a pain when the sizes don't quite match...(I forgot the prop adapter when I ordered and had to drive all over the place around here just to find the right one)
Hope this helps in your mod to your kit.(you'll have longer flight times with a brushless set up too...much longer)
Don
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMSH7

Spoonwasher 02-12-2007 03:22 PM

I'll have to add that Albatross to the list of Tri planes to look for when crusing the skies...Put your scarf on Snoopy...we got work to do...!lol

Spoonwasher 02-12-2007 03:36 PM

Sorry to hog the posts guys, but I've just noticed that degreen60's plane is a Foamy...the Great planes is a Balsa laser cut Arf...The motor I have in my SE5 is a little too much for your Kava kit I'd think Don, try a smaller Brushless outrunner Rimfire like the GPMG 4500, 12amp Silver series ESC,800 Mah 3 cell Lipo , use a 9.47 prop....this combo has a ton of power too as I use it on my indoor 3D Flatout RC universe Bibe...hoover's great.... Should be lots of power for the Kava kit and fly it well, maybe even too much...but do note this is just a suggestion....ask around and see what other guys are upgrading the kit with. What motor does you Kavan kit come with and I might have a better suggestion for you to deside on?
Don

degreen60 02-12-2007 05:34 PM

The Kavan came with a 280 motor, APC 10X4.7 prop, 3.43:1 gearbox mounted through the fire wall, and 7 nimh cells. I changed to a 2410-09 direct drive with 9070 prop. I had to cut the firewall and move where the brushless motor mounted about 1/2 inch back. I am using 6 nimh cells and it has a lot more power. Just setting on a table and letting it run it seems to last a long time too. Is just too cold to stay out for a long run, only short test flights.
On my triplane I was using a 350 motor, D gearing, 1080 prop, and 6 mimh cells. I could get about 5 min run time. If I changed to a 1280 prop I could hang veritcal with the plane slowly rotating under the prop. Was scarry the first time it happened to me on a test flight(I am still learning how to fly). I have changed to a GWBLM005B brushless with B gearing. Seems to have enough power and run time on test table is over 10 min. But when I took it out to fly motor shut down in about 3 min or less. I am hoping that the temp was too cold for the ESC(about 15F) is what caused it to shut down.

Spoonwasher 02-12-2007 06:26 PM

The 2410-09 is definitly more than enough power. If you run them on lower cell counts, you can run a larger prop, but I would stick with the 9x7. I'm using the same set up on my glider and it only pulls 5.6 amps....still got lots of room for a larger prop but doesn't need it. Less current draw on the batteries means more duration/ run time available. The wattmeter was somewhere in the 130 watt range. 3 cells ( 11.1volts) really makes it hum, but if your considering the higher cell count , drop down in prop size if you want to keep the amps down where your esc can handle them and not over drawn the esc or motor of both.The Bm 2410-09, 10, 21 series of outrunners are a great value for your buck and gives great benifits over brushed motors. If you add a gear box to one, the possiblities would amaze oneself, but use a soft start or you'll be replacing gearboxes sooner than you'd like.
Don

degreen60 02-12-2007 08:28 PM

It is a balmy 39F outside today so I took the Albatross out for its first flight with the brushless. The brushless was really nice. It has lots more power and I believe flight times are just as long as on the 280. I flew most of the time at about 50% power and could even climb at that power. And yes I planed that last stunt, 3 point landing with forward flip. (3 point landing, 2 wheels and spinner. HAHA)

scalercflyer 02-18-2007 04:37 PM

Motors, etc

Well, Boys how are you doing? I just recently had a chance to read our thread. I would like to suggest a great source for motors, etc. I deal with Rob Beatty of Gorilla Bob's. He has great prices and some absolutely beautiful merchandise. The out/in runners are very reasonably priced and work fantastically. He stands behind his merchandise too (see website listed below). As a side note, I sent an e-mail to the President and marketing department of BALSA USA. I basically told them that they are missing a great opportunity to expand into another market. They as you know, produce some beautiful 1/4 scale WWI kits. I suggested that they produce WWI 1/6th scale kits. Surprisingly, I got a positive response. Perhaps some of us can send some e-mails and help "persuade" them to see our point of view. What do you Guys think? See their website for contact info.Martin

http://www.gorillabobsshack.com/catalog/
http://www.balsausa.com/

50+AirYears 02-26-2007 07:47 PM

This thread is making me want to start either my Top Flite SE-5 or my little competition Models Fokker E-III. The Fokker is listed for a Cox Pee-Wee .020, but from what people I've talked to who had the SE-5, an electric equivalent to a .40 or .45 glow should be perfect, since the structure is quite light. And with 6 planes, 1 ship, and a couple HO railroad projects in the active works list, my wife would probably kill me if I started another project, at least until I finish a new grape arbor, window flower box, and picket fence replacement.

Or worse,she might start a model stomp.

degreen60 02-26-2007 08:18 PM

Teach her to fly. That is what I doing. I told her we could have WW1 dogfights. If the Fokker will fly with a .02 I would think it would fly with a small electric motor. I would try a small brushless outrunner first. Don

Originally Posted by 50+AirYears (Post 161549)
This thread is making me want to start either my Top Flite SE-5 or my little competition Models Fokker E-III. The Fokker is listed for a Cox Pee-Wee .020, but from what people I've talked to who had the SE-5, an electric equivalent to a .40 or .45 glow should be perfect, since the structure is quite light. And with 6 planes, 1 ship, and a couple HO railroad projects in the active works list, my wife would probably kill me if I started another project, at least until I finish a new grape arbor, window flower box, and picket fence replacement.

Or worse,she might start a model stomp.

50+AirYears 02-26-2007 08:31 PM

Thing is, I've got 3 TeeDee .010s, 5 PeeWee .020s, and 3 Tee Dee .020s, and a couple CO2 motors, and I'd have to go out and buy an electric equivalent. With the latest "Improvements" in my company's pension and retiree medical plans, I better not buy a lot of new stuff, what with only about 3 years to retirement.

Also, my wife is willing to come out and help me flying control line, and has helped with the artistic decoration of some of my RC models, but has no interest whatsoever in flying.

Spoonwasher 02-27-2007 04:36 AM

:) Hello 50+.....welcome to the thread and from the great gang that posts here.Biuld a 2 channel glider,use the cox motor on a power pod and really get some flying in. You could easily train your wife on these and you'd love the relaxed flying. I have 3 gentle lady's,cox 049 on one, the other two converted to brushless electric with a folding prop. These dont need glow fuel, glow heads or the mess and noise and only 2 servos. When I want to climb back up, just hit the throttle. Cost wise, the electric will win in the long run not having to buy fuel and glow heads(the glow heads are starting to get pricey)(I have 30 plus 049's,couple of 020's,07's 075 ,10's & 15's.I I've flown and own most still, but have jumped into the electric side of things . Once lipo batteries and brushless technology become more cost effective and available,electric is the way of the future in this hobby as far as I can see anyway.There are lots of great combo deals out there to get you started and very buget minded too.Start with a simple stick park flyer to begin with anf expand from there. The GWS slow stick is a breat slow flyer and could easily sub as a trainer. The gear can be used in many other planes and you can keep costs way down using the less expensive brushed can motors .Like me, the only regret you might have is that you didn't jump into the lectric side of the hobby sooner......but I'm catching up fast especially with the encouragement of some of the great people in this thread. It's been a real pleasure and should continue to be.:)

50+AirYears 02-27-2007 02:20 PM

I do have a powered glider with one of the TeeDee .020s for power. Got it free from a late club member who could rarely get it to fly with a Pee Wee.

I flew my first electric, a Goldberg Mirage, about 1992 when about everybody else in the club who had tried electric had given up.

Don't get me wrong, I like electric, but it isn't going to replace glow, rubber power, control line, or hand-launched gliders in my life. In fact, in my list of to-do projects I have a Sig Seniorita thats going to have an Astro Flite geared Cobalt 25, and a HOB Electric Zap Machine for an E-flite 480 outrunner, along with an S-R Apache, power plant TBD, in the storage area. I also have about 9 electric, kit built and RTF, ready to go.

My wife just has no interest in flying.

Spoonwasher 02-28-2007 10:36 PM

Hi again 50+.....Trying to get a glider to fly on a .020 needs some pretty light building skills and micro light equipment to keep the weight down,a do-able project , but on glow a bit of a strech for it's weight I might guess.what was the wingspan & weight of the glider as I might be able to recomend something to try with it.And me give up glow and go total electric....not reallybut the electric conversions out there now are far superior to anything you may have tried even just 2yrs ago.Alot of the old Goldberg kits would just barely fly.With that said, the brushless in & out runners available today are definitly equal "Some" glow set ups. Both have their own advantages.With lipo battery tecnology, electric is coming into it's own with the weight savings over mutiple nicad setups. Then the price of a good brushless and esc combo has dropped very significantly which makes traying electric even more appealing.
Ask around in the forums here and their are plenty of great guys who have great inexpensive setups and links where you can aquire your stuff. a very wide varitey....read through the posts in the forums that intrest you and pic a project. I'm sure you'll be more than pleased. Good luck and good fly 50+
Don...in Peterborough, Canada
PS I can definitely understand you wife's position, mine has the same afliction...LoL

50+AirYears 02-28-2007 11:23 PM

It's about a 48-40" tapered platform. I was using the .6 ounce futaba servos with a standard reciever and 500 mAh battery pack. Gets about a 5 minute engine run to about 200' altitude, then the flight time after that depends on the atmospheric conditions and my vast flying skills (maybe half-vast? or vast luck?). With the original Pee Wee, about all I could get was an extended glide with a couple bounce and gos.

I do have a small collection of both brushed and brushless motors, and I will in time be using them, but I really won't be giving up the glow, rubber, co2, or rocket in the foreseeable future.

I take statements that electrics have more power than glow with a grain of salt. One advertisement in particular claiming a plane having more power with the subject electric motor than it did with the unnamed sport 40 was like replacing the Max 40 with a ST 51. Apples and oranges. A 750 Watt electric had better be able to outperform a 600 Watt glow engine, just like it should outperform a 600 Watt electric, or the 51 should outperformthe sport 40 glow. Or my old 62 Falcon with the stock 80 hp 144 wouldn't even come close to the performance I expected from the 270 hp 4B 289 I was swapping into it till I ran out of time and money.

Just like this coming season I plan to see if I can still toss a ff hand launch glider competively without the aches and pains that come with nearly 60 years of flying models, and also to see if I can learn to be competitive in more FAC rubber FF events. I never replace or drop an interest, just add new ones.

Keep 'em flying!

Spoonwasher 03-01-2007 12:52 AM

Sounds like your little bird would come in somewhere about 32oz.The 5 min engine run is a fairly good run too.your wing loading would be a little higher than my Gentle ladys with my .049's. It took me a long time to stay in the same weight and get an "exceptable" electric setup to the glow,I built 3 of these and have converted 2 to electric.I used a RC hot Deals combo ,Bm 24-09, 18amp esc($29)can with a Apogee 2100 2 cell battery and a Graupner 10x6 prop.I tried other can motors & gear set ups and they were sick to say the least. Couldn't get the bird higher than 40ft on a can set up. The tower combo was the ticket, plane came in about 36oz.Motor gives me a good 45 degree climbout to 300/400 ft then I soar looking for thermals. If the plane drops out, I hit the throttle again. 1/2 hr flights are not uncommon with 2/3 climbouts . This set up gives me lots of reserve for addition climbs if the air is poor. I have a little "T" tail 48' glider like yours. I tried an .049 power pod on it and it went like a bullet but was very poor when it came to gliding. The 2meter(78") Gentle Lady does a much better job once in the air.
Now you may have misinterpreted my suggestion where I compare glow to electric. Electric still has a ways to go once you start scaling up to 40 or bigger sized planes. You could by a heck of a lot of glow fuel for the price of batteries needed to fly an electric sized 40. It's still hard to beat my old OS 40 fp for the money tied up in that engine.And it will fly a lot of 40 sized planes very effectively and cheap.I wouldn't give these up either. Is a matter of fact, I don't think I've given up any of my basement full of glowships, just dabbled into the electric side and tried to learn and understand what's need to fly those well.
The reason I believe our hobby is swinging more to electric is their quiet & clean. when today most of our flying sites & clubs are lost to noise issues, electric just might be a better avenue for some. Park Flyers are bringing many young people to our hobby too, so electrics definetly are on the rise. We glow guys might just be the next S.A.M. modelers in RC.
I fly rubber & electrics indoors throughout the winter and it has taught me much about building/flying airplanes .I enjoy so many things in the hobby as like yourself. It's still hard to beat a lazy day with your glider at the field. Very relaxing. I have cap 231's, extra 300 and pattern shps if I need a speed fix but I now more enjoy just getting out and having a nice relaxing fly.Speaking of which, your Senortia is a great flier. You'll love it when it's done. I have a kadet Senior and a Kadet LT40. I've worn 3 engines out on the LT40 and it's still going. I've modified it to drop bombs, candies for the kiddies, camera, floats. About the only thing I haven't done with it is try it on electric....but I'm considering it.
Take care and Keep Flying
Don

WWI Ace 03-11-2007 10:13 PM

Alright guys, got the little Aerodromerc Fokker tripe covered, painted sky blue, and streaked with OD green!! Looks kinda like I painted it with a dirty toothbrush!!! Streaking probably isn't as good as say someone like Marty or Walt would do but I think it will work. Didn't put a whole lot of green on it because as I understand it the early F1 didn't have alot of streaking. Alot more of the blue was apparently more visible than on the production Dr1's, (Thanks Martin for the great books with the information!!!). That is also why alot of pilots thought that Voss' tripe was silvery blue. Gotta love research!!! I know I'll probably start a fight but I'm gonna paint the cowl and wheelcovers yellow on my Voss tripe instead of an OD cowl and light blue wheelcovers. I think it will be easier to keep up with the planes orientation with the yellow since the WS is only 23 inches. I hope to post pics later if the wife can remember where the camera is. Steve.

Franny 03-15-2007 05:10 PM

Hi Guys,

About the BalsaUSA thing... I'm finishing up their .40 size Taube (early WWI scout) powered with the E-Flight 46 motor. They are nice kits; not that expensive and the wood is top notch. They are, of course, designed for a reciprocating engine bit it is easy to remove wood. Also, that E-Flight motor weighs in about the same as an OS .40 so balancing isn't that bad. I know the electrics are a bit more pricey in this range, but I think a little larger airplane is a bit easier to handle. The .40 size Taube is E/R/T. Their .60 size adds ailerons, but I think that actually distracts from the looks. The original used warping on the wings and horizontal stabilizer. It is bad enough to have an elevator... The scale level is more stand-off, but it is so unusual it has a pretty big WOW! affect. I'll put together some photos and post it in the "Gas to Electric" conversion hopefully this weekend.

Franny

ElectricFlyGuy 03-17-2007 01:52 AM

Great Planes

I really like the Great Planes site. A friend of mine loves their planes and I love their large planes. Scott;)

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 2335)
Hi WWI Ace! I'm new to the WATTFLYER family, but not new to RC. My passion is WWI fighters, especially German. I do like the "feel" of this site. I also hope to make new friends in the scale community here. I have MANY sets of electric plans for WWI birds that I have been collecting since I got bit by the electric bug. I hope to build 2 planes (Fokker DVIII, Albatros DIII, both 400 size) this winter for next years flying season. I would count it a priviledge to hear from some of the other scale "nuts" here. All the Best, Martin