WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Warbird Electrics (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Giant Scale Top Flight Corsair... so it begins (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79094)

firemanbill 01-13-2018 05:12 AM

Giant Scale Top Flight Corsair... so it begins

1 Attachment(s)
So I am going to start a build thread. I debated to jut build and post pics later but what the heck. This one will take a while so hopefully you have a long attention span.

Picked this up last night from a guy in the next town over from me. Got the kit, the Robart Retracts, and the cockpit kit to really go scale on this one. When it is all done it will be an 86.5" wingspan monster.

I haven't decided on the power plant yet. considering a 3 cylinder gas radial but may go e power, just not sure yet. Whatever I decide that is a long way off so for now I will just be focused on the airframe.

Wish me luck!

JetPlaneFlyer 01-13-2018 10:22 AM

That's a lot of lumber!

solentlife 01-13-2018 11:50 AM

Nice one ....

Watching with interest...

In terms of long running build saga - my CG Lancaster comes to mind !

Nigel

hkeelljr 01-16-2018 04:04 AM

Looks like who ever cut it out used the whole forest.

Stay Quiet 01-16-2018 01:54 PM

I think 85" span is eligible for Joe Nall! Are you planning on going with retracts?

firemanbill 01-16-2018 03:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes on the retracts. I got the Robarts to go along with it.

Got a start on it last night. Going by the book and starting with the tail. Does it look like a corsair yet? :Q

Don Sims 01-17-2018 01:04 AM

Nope not yet Bill. Still looks like a ton of balsa.

firemanbill 01-17-2018 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 1010998)
Nope not yet Bill. Still looks like a ton of balsa.

And it probably will for quite a while Don!

firemanbill 01-17-2018 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Starting to make some of the bits look like an airplane now. Made some good progress on the tail section today since I had the day off for snow. Horizontal stab almost done and I got the vertical pieces for the fin cut as well. Sheeting is joined together and ready to go on once all the glue sets up.

Stay Quiet 01-17-2018 11:31 PM

Take your time, Bill. I don't think snow skis will fit very well in the wheel wells! (Crazy weather we're having, huh?)

firemanbill 01-18-2018 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet (Post 1011011)
Take your time, Bill. I don't think snow skis will fit very well in the wheel wells! (Crazy weather we're having, huh?)

Oh yeah, taking my time on this one for sure. on step 3 of about 8000 I think. No rush to get it done. It was nice to just chill (pun intended) and hang outin the shop working on it today.

firemanbill 01-18-2018 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got some more work done today on the elevators. Still have to finish out the balance tabs and tips. Then it is time to start sanding and sheeting them.

(notice the 12" ruler in front for scale!)

firemanbill 01-20-2018 03:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the fin and rudder done tonight.

Stay Quiet 01-20-2018 02:41 PM

Looks great! I love that the plans show all the control horns apparently hidden internally. The small blocks on the vertical stab trailing edge are for hinges, I take it?

birdDog 01-20-2018 03:51 PM

She's gonna be a beauty. Nice call on shifting the inboard elevator hinge blocks a bit.
As much as I hate to say it on this forum, a radial would be quite fitting, as well as a real crowd pleaser.

firemanbill 01-20-2018 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by birdDog (Post 1011044)
She's gonna be a beauty. Nice call on shifting the inboard elevator hinge blocks a bit.
As much as I hate to say it on this forum, a radial would be quite fitting, as well as a real crowd pleaser.

Thanks, yeah that inner block would have had a hard time matching up with the rib for the elevator in the way. By the time I get this one done I may have enough saved up for that engine.

Looking to sell some foamies by the way... lol

Also got her planked and rough sanded the leading edges last night

firemanbill 01-20-2018 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet (Post 1011043)
Looks great! I love that the plans show all the control horns apparently hidden internally. The small blocks on the vertical stab trailing edge are for hinges, I take it?

Yes, using the Robart #310 Large Hinges. Giving them all the support they need. Going put some blocks in the elevator and rudder as well.

firemanbill 01-22-2018 05:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So last night I got the rudder and elevator taper sanded all down per the plans.

Today was a lot of studying the manual, looking at and test fitting all the center spar parts. Then once I thought I was ready it was time to start laminating them all together. If you want to build one of these and think you have enough epoxy on hand let me tell you that you probably don;t. lol

I did make on oops on the leading edge (LE) spar by not centering it the way it was supposed to be. I read and re-read the book several times but there is a misleading section where they talk about making the LE and TE spars but the only picture is of the LE. I got wrapped around the wheel on that mistake and made one of my own by laminating the piece flush with the top instead of centered. After a bit of backtracking, trimming, and adjusting some stuff I have it looking like it is supposed to, not as pretty but that will be inside the wing so no harm.

Anyway, will mock up the center part of the wing this week and start getting it together soon.

Don Sims 01-22-2018 11:58 AM

Making some headway Bill. Are you planning to be done by SEFF?

firemanbill 01-22-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 1011066)
Making some headway Bill. Are you planning to be done by SEFF?

HAHA! No I doubt that. I am not Laine!!:p>:Q

firemanbill 01-23-2018 05:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
made some headway on the center spar tonight. It was a challenge to get these straight and true as there is no way to pin them down on the plans. had to improvise and hot glue a few blocks of left over plywood from the forms down to get it all lined up. Seemed to work ok and cleaned up nicely afterwards.

The two outer pieces are the gear blocks and the center holds the front wing mounts.

firemanbill 01-24-2018 04:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hardest hing I have ever done in this hobby... hands down. This was like trying build a jigsaw puzzle by holding all the pices in your hand and putting them down on the table at the same time... where they are supposed to go!

But dang what a sense of accomplishment to have it turn out exactly like it is supposed to be.

Don Sims 01-24-2018 10:34 AM

Just finding the parts in that pile would be interesting. Think you've barely made a dent in the stack of balsa.

Stay Quiet 01-24-2018 03:07 PM

I really enjoy the build threads. I like learning how kit designers do things. All I'm thinking when looking at the forward ribs is "hey, why didn't they make them tab and slot for positioning?" :-)

firemanbill 01-24-2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet (Post 1011096)
I really enjoy the build threads. I like learning how kit designers do things. All I'm thinking when looking at the forward ribs is "hey, why didn't they make them tab and slot for positioning?" :-)

Amen Brother! Seems like it would have been easy enough to work that into the plan and assure correct alignment and spacing as well as a stronger joint. I added a couple pieces of square stock inside the two center section ribs as that is where the wing mount structure is. Thought it would be good to beef that up just a tad.

The front and rear are capped with leading and trailing edges and it is all sheeted so that will all add a lot of structure as well.