WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

FLOYD V. ULRICH 06-17-2011 02:27 AM

Welcome to WF. Have fun and ask if you are stuck.

kvflyer 06-17-2011 10:18 PM

thanx guyz and is a nice change from the "other sites" if ya know what I mean:rolleyes:

JimmyJamma 06-19-2011 06:54 AM

I found this site while researching how to convert the Superstar40 my wife bought me (10+ years ago) to electric. These forums are a great resource! I've been reading for hours and I've got tons more to work through. When I started, I wasn't sure if it was going to be possible. Now, it's obvious that there might be too many options to choose from.

molokaiboy 06-19-2011 07:34 AM

Aloha from Maui, Hawaii

Aloha guys and gals, although I am new to this forum, I have been on others for a while, all with the same screen name.
I just love to fly anything rc, from little micros like the vapor and mcx, to larger fueled models. I like flying many different types of models, including gliders, slopers, helis, sport planes, scale stuff, 3d foamies, anything.

Aloha,
Les

Don Sims 06-19-2011 12:19 PM

Hey Les and Jimmy! Jimmy the Superstar is a fun plane to fly.

josephcharles 06-19-2011 12:48 PM

Conversion

Great luck and welcome!! A few things about electric conversions, making a hatch to get the power cells in and out of the plane is usually a challenge. A lot of the time its better to remove the wing for install of your batteries. Also getting the fire wall built strong, light with thrust angel and getting it to balance or CG. If you need to add weight to get the plane to balance try to make it usable weight!! IE; receiver packs, servos etc. One last thing read what set ups guys are using for the weight and size of your plane so that you don't waist money and time to get the big bird flying!! You will find that the guys here like to help and don't answer questions unless they know, I know you know what I mean! Any questions feel free to ask us we love the hobby and to help!! :D:D:D

Originally Posted by JimmyJamma (Post 817112)
I found this site while researching how to convert the Superstar40 my wife bought me (10+ years ago) to electric. These forums are a great resource! I've been reading for hours and I've got tons more to work through. When I started, I wasn't sure if it was going to be possible. Now, it's obvious that there might be too many options to choose from.

sixfins 06-20-2011 09:40 PM

New Here

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, planning on getting back into R/C. I flew for over 15 years with my dad, got out of it in the early '90's. I have flown a wide range of glow/gas planes all prop planes from mild to wild, big and small. I am interested in reentering the hobby with electric. I am currently thinking of a Simitar from Bill Evans, and converting it to Electric.
Josh

Flywhat2 06-20-2011 10:16 PM

GO FOR IT Josh! I'm new here too. Been out of modelling for 40 plus yrs. Never did get into RC. Had one free flight gas job just before joining Navy. Never saw it again. Last year and so far this year built 6 & ARF'd 1 models.

I love the laser cut wood, it fits together so well. I like Mountain Models and Stevens Aeromodels.

Electric is where its at for me. Its quiet, easy and very versatile.

All the best to you for the future, there are a GREAT bunch of VERY sharp gals and guys here who have the answer to just about any question you can ask. At least one young lady has been at this for 40 years and is still going strong. She is a wealth of experience and knowledge.
Keep us posted on your activities, we are always interested,
Warren

Don Sims 06-20-2011 11:45 PM

Welcome Josh!

road king 97 06-21-2011 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by sixfins (Post 817476)
Hello everyone,
I'm new here, planning on getting back into R/C. I flew for over 15 years with my dad, got out of it in the early '90's. I have flown a wide range of glow/gas planes all prop planes from mild to wild, big and small. I am interested in reentering the hobby with electric. I am currently thinking of a Simitar from Bill Evans, and converting it to Electric.
Josh

Welcome josh , if you decide to convert the simitar to electrict, start a thread so the rest of us can watch you tackle it. joe

WILDTHAWN 06-21-2011 01:39 AM

This is way cool it like a steady stream of converts and noobies everyday joining the eletric side

road king 97 06-21-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by WILDTHAWN (Post 817527)
This is way cool it like a steady stream of converts and noobies everyday joining the eletric side

I am liking this great site and my electrict planes also,but i still love the smell of nitro early in the morning. lol joe

TM4197 06-21-2011 03:56 PM

Pour a little nitro on a rag, keep it in your flight box. "Flyers perfume"

WILDTHAWN 06-21-2011 04:59 PM

i hope thats not habit forming

chick 06-21-2011 11:32 PM

new foamflyer

Looking for anyone in the Havelock, N.C. area to fly foamies with. I've built several from foamfly.com plans. Using the "package deal" motors from hobbiepartz.com. They're great!

road king 97 06-22-2011 12:01 AM

Welcome chick i have been tempted to order from hobbie partz but i havent really seen any thing good or bad about the company on line till now. Thanks and keep the foamies flying. joe

TM4197 06-22-2011 01:35 AM

Welcome chick! Alot of foamie lovers on here! Happy flying!

CHELLIE 06-22-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by sixfins (Post 817476)
Hello everyone,
Josh

Hi Josh :ws: Welcome to Wattflyers, Take care and have fun, Chellie

that Plane should be a hand full :D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502443

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...itar%20001.jpg

longbikez 06-24-2011 01:50 AM

New Here

Hi guys, I've been building and crashing dollartree foamies. a lot to learn here and looking for the best way to determine needed motors and esc's.

Don Sims 06-24-2011 01:57 AM

Welcome! There's a lot of knowledge here to help you and friendly people!

DaveH2 06-26-2011 08:44 AM

Hello. I'm having a renewed interest in RC after a 20 year hiatus, and the electric world is calling to me. I never was a great flier, but I didn't kill much gear either, and had fun....electric seems to be so much more convenient than nitro (which may keep me in it this time around). Maybe will have both.... :)

CHELLIE 06-26-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by DaveH2 (Post 818696)
Hello. I'm having a renewed interest in RC after a 20 year hiatus, and the electric world is calling to me. I never was a great flier, but I didn't kill much gear either, and had fun....electric seems to be so much more convenient than nitro (which may keep me in it this time around). Maybe will have both.... :)

Hi Dave :ws: Welcome to Wattflyers :ws: After you have tried E power, you will never ever go back to Slimers, Errrrrrr Nitro :D I flew Slimers, Errrr nitro for over 30 years, got into E Power, and never Looked back :Q E power is just so much nicer, you have instant Power, its quiet, and no more hard starting nitro engines and no more towels and windex to take to the flying field to clean the Slime, errrr oil off your plane, and no more stinky planes and vehicles :D :D :D Take care and have fun, Chellie

longbikez 06-26-2011 11:31 AM

Welcome

Hi DaveH2,
I recommend that you start out with a Hobbyzone Champ. It's a blast to fly, can handle just about anything and with the proper skills can be flown in a small area with obstacles.
longbikez

bbqflyer 06-26-2011 01:17 PM

Hey DaveH2, I was in the same boat as you a few years ago I started with Nitro, didn't have much fun and got out. I got back into it last year with e-power and now I can't get enough!!! You'll definitely enjoy it this time around, plus now there are electric foamies you can fly out of your front door, which is great for when I don't have time to go to the flying field.

bbqflyer 06-26-2011 01:19 PM

RoadKing how was your fly-in this weekend? Had a great warbird fly-in here. Just saw your earlier post, I was hesitant about hobbypartz till I ordered. Now I'm ordering like every week. Haven't been let down yet. Especially with the exceed rc motors and blue lipo batteries.

kevinm 06-26-2011 02:36 PM

what is it about the Champ? i have <no> flying skills to know when a plane is getting ready to do the famous underpowered- out of control -spiral stall of death- into the terror firma , and my Champ doesnt own that trait? ive inadvertatly seen it at high alpha, i think its called, that wouldve spiralled in a Super Cub of mine, and it just pulled out of it like it was nothing--- is it so powered that it can pull out of most any stall condition?

stobby256 06-30-2011 06:20 PM

Hi from Stobby

Hi all from Erith in Kent:D

Still learning to fly but been into IC for years. Bought WOT4 Foam-e and enjoying it! I also run another buidling forum, but need a decicated e-flight one so here I am guys!

Steve

Turner 06-30-2011 06:54 PM

Welcome Steve. Any information on your building forum?

stobby256 06-30-2011 08:55 PM

Indeed!

Your forum will not let me post links... so remove spaces from the text below!!

w w w . r c b f . c o . u k

Steve

road king 97 06-30-2011 09:34 PM

Hi stobby ,the site wont let you put up links yet because dont have enough posts ,i cant remember how many it takes but not to many. I checked out the new site and it looks like a winner. Again welcome stobby. joe

Don Sims 06-30-2011 10:38 PM

Hey Stobby, welcome! just a few more posts and you'll be linkable!

Turner 07-01-2011 04:47 PM

Thanks Steve. Looks like an interesting site.

mclarkson 07-01-2011 08:31 PM

Welcome!

road king 97 07-01-2011 08:37 PM

Welcome turner ! joe

FLOYD V. ULRICH 07-01-2011 09:34 PM

Welcome Stobby 256. There is a wealth of knowleedge here. Any Questiions, Just ask. Someone will have an answer.

colby45 07-10-2011 03:57 AM

Great site. I've been using info from here for a few years and finally decided to get involved in the community. I love eflight.

Water Boy 07-10-2011 04:06 AM

Welcome Colby

Don Sims 07-10-2011 12:15 PM

Howdy Colby!

Smaug067 07-12-2011 07:51 PM

Hello!

New to the hobby and this board. I currently (try to) fly a Hobbico/Flyzone Playmate, a Heli-max Novus 125FP, and am repairing the nose on my Hobbico NexStar Mini. I love the cameraderie of the RC community and look forward to learning how to finally keep these birds in the air.

Eric

2.4ghz 07-12-2011 07:55 PM

Welcome just remember take offs are optional and landings are mandatory:)