WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

scalercflyer 09-20-2010 06:16 PM

The Pup

Well Boys Tower now has this plane for $34.99 down from $45.99! :D I ordered it from my local HS today. I don't have to pay shipping, just local tax! I'm loving it! :cool: I have just the right combo for it. Plan on using the motor below with a 7X5 prop, a Spektrum RX (never had a problem with any of them), a 2S 640 mah and a couple of HXT servos. Should be a great indoor flyer! Also plan to do the captured Pup scheme mentioned by me previously. And NO it won't be RED D! :D marty

(http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

TM4197 09-20-2010 08:40 PM

That should be a good combo! and you can't go wrong with HEADSUPRC.
Can't wait to see it![popcorn]

degreen60 09-20-2010 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 751431)
Also plan to do the captured Pup scheme mentioned by me previously. And NO it won't be RED D! :D martyl

My Pup can beat up your Pup.

scalercflyer 09-21-2010 06:47 PM

The plan

Here's the plan Boys. I am printing the crosses for a DRI that I plan to use on the Pup per my previous post. Also need some suggestions for the Lewis gun. Can't seem to find anything about it yet. marty

degreen60 09-21-2010 07:16 PM

PM me you email address and I will send you all I have on the Lewis gun. I put a Vickers on mine using printed paper folded over foam. Cooling jacket is rolled paper with white glue on it.

scalercflyer 09-21-2010 07:27 PM

Machine gun

OK D. PM sent. Marty

degreen60 09-21-2010 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 751730)
OK D. PM sent. Marty

Sent you several files on WW1 guns. If you need more let me know, I have a book with some drawing that I can scan in. I think if has a twin mount in it.

scalercflyer 09-21-2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 751772)
Sent you several files on WW1 guns. If you need more let me know, I have a book with some drawing that I can scan in. I think if has a twin mount in it.

Thanks D! marty

degreen60 09-22-2010 02:21 AM

I finished installing the motor on Breguet 14 today. The wind was not blowing this evening so I took it out for a test flight even though it does not have landing gear yet. Flight went great, ailerons were very smooth. Never touched the rudder control. Of couse like all my other first test flights something had to break. Even though I landed in my hay field the prop caught and broke. Landing gear should fix that problem.

TM4197 09-22-2010 02:26 AM

OUTSTANDING!! Get that ear on..and some pics!![popcorn]

TM4197 09-22-2010 02:27 AM

Meant get the GEAR on.......(to Many fingers)

degreen60 09-22-2010 03:21 AM

Needs the gear, cowl made, couple of men, some guns. Hope that don't make it too heavy to fly. OH YES, some bombs to drop. LOL

scalercflyer 09-22-2010 05:06 AM

Do it

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 751893)
Needs the gear, cowl made, couple of men, some guns. Hope that don't make it too heavy to fly. OH YES, some bombs to drop. LOL

Do it up D! We're looking for more reports/flight tests. BTW, it would be cool to make the bombs functional with a small servo. If I remember right there was no bomb bay so you need to sequence them. I have an idea how to do it. What do you think? Guys? marty

degreen60 09-22-2010 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 751905)
Do it up D! We're looking for more reports/flight tests. BTW, it would be cool to make the bombs functional with a small servo. If I remeber right there was no bomb bay so you need to sequence them. I have an idea how to do it. What do you think? Guys? marty

I thought about dropping bombs but they would be so small you probably could not see them unless they fell on you. I would be making new bombs everytime I dropped the tiny things cause I would never find all of them.

scalercflyer 09-22-2010 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 751948)
I thought about dropping bombs but they would be so small you probably could not see them unless they fell on you. I would be making new bombs everytime I dropped the tiny things cause I would never find all of them.

Maybe just leave them on for looks then. marty

enemyace19 09-22-2010 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 751868)
Meant get the GEAR on.......(to Many fingers)

Friends Romans and Countrymen...lend me your gear? lol

degreen60 09-23-2010 04:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by enemyace19 (Post 752077)
Friends Romans and Countrymen...lend me your gear? lol

Wish they would. I think building the landing gear from a 3view drawing is the hardest part of the plane to build. The only part of the landing gear that is the correct length on a 3view is the axle. I have it done now. I installed a block of foam on the bottom of the fuselage to set the axle the correct distance below the fuselage. I run the gear legs from the axle to where they attach on the fuselage. By doing this I did not need to know how long each leg should be and this plane has 6 legs.

enemyace19 09-23-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 752177)
Wish they would. I think building the landing gear from a 3view drawing is the hardest part of the plane to build. The only part of the landing gear that is the correct length on a 3view is the axle. I have it done now. I installed a block of foam on the bottom of the fuselage to set the axle the correct distance below the fuselage. I run the gear legs from the axle to where they attach on the fuselage. By doing this I did not need to know how long each leg should be and this plane has 6 legs.

Looks great to me!

scalercflyer 09-23-2010 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by enemyace19 (Post 752218)
Looks great to me!

Me too! Nice job D! marty

scalercflyer 09-23-2010 02:11 PM

Servo

What's the servo sticking out of the bottom for D? Marty

degreen60 09-23-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 752239)
What's the servo sticking out of the bottom for D? Marty

It for the ailerons. It is a pull-pull system. Kind of based on what the real plane used except the real plane had two cables attach at two places on the aileron. I only use one string and it is working great. I made a second flight this morning and I have yet to use rudder control. I will take pictures and post the aileron control.

degreen60 09-23-2010 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Almost ready to ship to the front.

enemyace19 09-24-2010 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 752365)
Almost ready to ship to the front.

I hope when i get my cataracts taken out that I can build a great looking plane like that one....Doug

degreen60 09-24-2010 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by enemyace19 (Post 752388)
I hope when i get my cataracts taken out that I can build a great looking plane like that one....Doug

Thanks. I have found after years of building with balsa and silk, then bringing back a silk bag of balsa tooth picks after a back landing I like working with foam. Love the electric motors too cause I can use printed paper and water based paint. Oh yea, bad landings only makes large pieces of foam.

enemyace19 09-25-2010 05:49 PM

Little clip from this morning...Doug

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjv3I-PyIkg[/media]

wattman 09-25-2010 08:12 PM

Fine looking plane , and a one of a kind special . Flys well ?

scalercflyer 09-26-2010 01:56 PM

Great Planes Sopwith Pup

Allright Boys! I picked up my Pup yesterday. Here are my impressions:
  • It comes extremely well packed
  • The kit contains nicely done plywood cabanes and landing gear struts
  • The decals on the fuse are full of bubbles and do not lay flat
  • The underside of the plane wings and stab are white (video shows them painted tan)
  • complete hardware package
  • Cowl nicely done but a little thin
  • Wheels are wood with a plastic cap (nice)
Here's what I'm thinking of doing:
  • Spray paint the lower surfaces tan after installing packing tape or a carbon spar
  • Either staying with the Allied scheme or doing the captured version
  • If I stay with the Allied scheme, I will remove the sticker on the fuse and install my family coat of arms and a few other markings ala my Osprey Sopwith Aces reference book
  • The captured German scheme will include spraying the rudder and fin white and applying German crosses on the upper wings, lower wings, rudder and fuse areas (I'm leaning this way)
  • I do not like the V shaped landing gear so I will add a cross bar
  • Installing a 300XT motor and 12 amp SC, 5 gram servos (have to open the present holes)
  • Add a real pilot and machine gun (after all I may run into a Texican DRI tripe!)
I will provide pics of the build as I progress. Let me know your thoughts Guys. And NO D you can't have it unless I turn the kit into confetti! Marty

enemyace19 09-26-2010 02:44 PM

Sounds good Marty hope to see it soon ....Doug

degreen60 09-26-2010 06:11 PM

Why do ARF planes come with only the top painted when it is the bottom you see most of the time when they are flying?

I did not add any reinforcement to the wings of my Pup, just string for landing and flying wires and the wings seem to hold up ok.

I added a cross bar on the landing gear. It kept coming off so I drilled small holes wrapped and tied the cross bar to the gear legs then CA together. Has not come apart sence.

TM4197 09-26-2010 08:33 PM

Congrats on the Pup Scalercflyer!! Funny you mention the underwings shown as tan in video. All the vids I took of mine showed up as tan in the vids. Must be a reflection off the green fuse. Its whiter than a ....well..you get what I mean.:red:. The nice thing about this plane, is you can make any scheme you want. And, with the motor set up you are talking about, she will carry the weight....but DO.... put wire on her, like DeGreen60 says, it makes a difference....they will fold on you on windy days. I placed a axle on my wheel set up, not only looks good, but does help with support on landings, and the wheels don't pop off as much. Can't wait to see your finished bird. HAVE FUN!![popcorn]

degreen60 09-26-2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 753052)
I will provide pics of the build as I progress. Let me know your thoughts Guys. And NO D you can't have it unless I turn the kit into confetti! Marty

You do not need anykind of bracing on the wings. Just fly without any bracing. Do long dives and tight loops.

TM4197 09-26-2010 08:57 PM

UNREAL!!! like a buzzard flying around in circles, waiting for the kill!:tc:

degreen60 09-26-2010 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okey?

scalercflyer 09-27-2010 03:24 AM

The Sopwith Pup Build

10 Attachment(s)
OK Boys. Here are some pics. The plane went together quickly. I worked on it early this morning when the witches were sleeping! A few things were noted. The decals were and are crap! The fuse had a chunk out of it. I did try to remove the decals but I started to pull the paint off. Perhaps I would be better off just covering them or just leaving them alone. I am installing Sir Percy that I made up and painted. He came from my Comet SE5a kit. Also had to open the servo tray to install my TP 5 gram servos. Still not 100% sure on my power plant choice. Maybe i'll have you Guys help me to choose. Also note the HUGE rudder and fin. I had half a mind to cut it down but it would look out of place with that huge elevator/stab so I left it alone. After all it's not scale, just sorta. Look at the pics and see what you guys think. Long dives and large loops indeed! Next thing you'll be suggesting D are some violent spins! Marty

degreen60 09-27-2010 03:44 AM

Do as I did. Take the decals off. Go to Walmart and buy some acrylic paint. One bottle of a green you like for top and sides of plane. A bottle of linen for the bottom. If you have a color printer get some white sticker paper and make your own decals. Laser is best cause it is water proof.

I don't want to waste violent spins on a Pup. I need the violent spins made by a Bristal Scout(I don't have one of those yet). Wait a second, now let me look, what can I change a Pup into. LOL

If you really want to make the Pup differant, there was a Pup in one of the training schools that was black and white stripped.

degreen60 09-27-2010 03:50 AM

I am going to have to look for that Sir Percy. I take the pilots I get with models that are in 2 pieces, fill them with epoxy and use them as masters for my Vac-u-form to make more pilots.

scalercflyer 09-27-2010 10:58 AM

Decal removal

D what is the best way to remove the decals? I was thinking GOO GONE but I'm not sure if it will attack the foam. Maybe I should try it on a piece of scrap from my TM. It's the same foam with paint on it. Marty

scalercflyer 09-27-2010 11:02 AM

Here's the one I was thinking of D. It's the captured Pup on the right of the screen. Marty
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/A3932...B6507D64DC8FEC#

degreen60 09-27-2010 01:19 PM

I just peal the stickers off taking the paint with them. I do not care what it looks like where the sticker was cause I put a new sticker over the spot after I repaint the plane. Some planes have a smooth finish on the surface of the foam. If that surface is missing in spots I just paint over it. You can tell where the damage was but does not look that bad. Just call it battle damage fixed in the field.

scalercflyer 09-27-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 753270)
I am going to have to look for that Sir Percy. I take the pilots I get with models that are in 2 pieces, fill them with epoxy and use them as masters for my Vac-u-form to make more pilots.

Sounds like a good way to make pilots D. Did you make your own vacuum tool or have a real Vac-u-form? What do you use for plastic? An old coke bottle perhaps? Maybe you can show us a sample. Thanks, Marty