WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

scalercflyer 12-20-2006 01:08 AM

DVIII wing attachment

Red D I have a set of plans for the DVIII from MA, year approx 1978. It shows a neat trick to attach/detach the wing. Begin with a tapped block glued into the wing structure. Use an electrical loop connector (automotive). Clean the end of the strut with steel wool and some sand paper (gives the solder a tooth to bite into). Solder the loop to the strut and crimp with pliers. Bend the loop over and secure with the wing with a nylon screw (1/4 X 20, etc). It's super strong and works great (cheap too!). I have more camo schemes than you can shake a stick at. Here's an unusual one. Martin

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co..._Tricot/02.jpg

scalercflyer 12-20-2006 02:01 AM

Ben Buckle kit

Red D bid on that Ben Buckle kit! :D I bought/won 2 BB DVIII kits on E-bay. One I kept and the other I sold to Steve (WWI Ace). It's a nice kit and well worth anything you pay for it. :) It is rare and hard to find. Maybe we can do a triple build together! :D How cool is that! :cool: Steve, pay attention! Since you can't fly outside, you can build inside! :) Check out these links Boys. Martin
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bi...dviii_nx94100/
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237238
http://www.sam27.com/Earl_Stahl_D-8_Home_Page.htm

reddevil1111 12-20-2006 02:33 AM

Thanks for the links.I had already found them..I even contacted Ed Hamler and sent him an email asking for some help from the SAM builders. No contact from him or the SAM club members yet. I have the orginal kit they are all building replica recut kits from a set of plans someone had. My kit comes with balsa wood, plans, and...um...thats it. Not even a cowl! lol
I am seriously considering adding alerons and sheeting the top of the wing in balsa to resemble the real plane. I would love to see some detailed photos of the install or the wing and its hold down system as well as the spars. I can't figure out the servo box setup either for the wing. I want to try to make this kit electric. I need to make a local friend to help guide some of my mods and ideas. The weight of the kit is something I never had to consider before.
If the BB kit stays cheep Ill snag it. I bought this kit for more than I should have(I really wanted to build a D-VIII) now the BB kit apears and I am kicking myself.
Just so you guys know, the reddevil name, its an old Marine Corps nickname that stuck and its nothing to do with anything else....someone PMed me concerned about the implications of worshiping the devil...lol its nothing to do with that!
I can't say enough about the help and guidance! Thanks to EVERYONE!

scalercflyer 12-20-2006 03:01 AM

Red Devil

SEMPER FI! Thanks for your service to our beloved country. I appreciate all veterans! God Bless you my Friend! Martin

reddevil1111 12-21-2006 11:07 PM

Thanks Martin. Merry Christmas to all of you!

WWI Ace 12-21-2006 11:25 PM

Jarheads!! You gotta love 'em! I was a Army engineer for 4 yrs. Merry Christmas to you redddevil. Martin's right, the BB kit is really cool! Steve.

reddevil1111 12-22-2006 05:06 AM

sigh...I am bummed out I didnt win it some guy with sniper got it for a dollar more. Thats the brakes. I need a cowl for a 1/6 D-VIII if anyone has one cheaper than 40 bucks.
We recived 36 inches of snow (estimated) with snow drifts or up to 4 to 4.5 feet in less than 24hrs here in the Metro area. I had to walk to get medicine for my baby(mom forgot she was running out) I walked 3 miles each way and it took over 6 hrs. Flippin cold it was!
I spent almost all of my time in the south americas...my blood its to thin for the deep cold! I was in amph. intel warfare. lol of my 6 plus years I was in I spent almost 4 doing drug interdiction go figure that one out. ps I dont just like red planes...but they ARE sexy...lol

reddevil1111 12-22-2006 05:11 AM

Martin, Can I see how you built you wing for the yellow and green D-VIII? I would love to see your flap details,servo details and how/where you made acess doors for all of the details. What scale is the beast? Oh one more thing? the wheel wing...I really have a bad set of plans and not a lot of exp. scratch building. I have always just had kits. The worst I had it was planeing a wing tip. Its the details are the fun stuff. Thanks! Dan

GourmetSaint 12-22-2006 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know I'm a newbie here but I would like to wish you all a great Christmas and New Year. My Christmas project is a scratch 1/28 scale Fokker DR-1 using 1/32 balsa and carbon fibre. Should be interesting. If it's ok with you guys, I would like to bounce some stuff off you all when I get stuck. All the best, Mark

reddevil1111 12-22-2006 04:49 PM

Welcome Saint! I am a newb in here as well so your not alone! Nice cad drawings. Real sweet! Is Kiama in the west of Australia or south? I spent a lot of time there..2 trips 3 months each. I was in the south for the most part. Byron Bay,Geelong ect.
Merry Christmas !

Ron 12-22-2006 06:26 PM

Merry christmas guys...hope Santa is good to you all

GourmetSaint 12-23-2006 01:23 AM

Kiama is a couple of hours south of Sydney. Beautiful seaside village. http://www.kiama.com.au.

Have a great one!

scalercflyer 12-23-2006 03:55 AM

Merry Christmas All!

I would like to wish all of you Guys and your families a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :) My prayer for all of you is for The LORD to give you strength, good health, happy families and prosperity in the coming year (good flying weather too!). Remember, JESUS is the Reason for the Season! Martin
PS: A hearty welcome all you Newbies! Keep the posts coming.

reddevil1111 12-23-2006 04:20 PM

Does Santa run a RED PLANE? lol

WWI Ace 12-24-2006 12:22 AM

Why yes he does fly a RED plane sometimes reddevil! I do believe it's a triplane too!!! Ha ha!!! You guys have a great Christmas and a wonderful New Year! And remember that painting your plane a bright color, (such as red) lets the enemy know who's about to knock him out of the sky! Steve.

reddevil1111 12-24-2006 02:04 AM

some good news

Pulling Steve's and Martin's leg is so much fun,I am going to have to build 2 D-VIII's one in all red just for him(to see red...lol) and another the way I want it.
I have a Christmas surprise for anyone building a D-VIII in the future. I am in touch with SAM members and they are starting to provide me some photos of thier clubs builds(they choose the Earl Sthal kit to replicate) Hmmm..lol I guess its a good thing I happen to have that kit. I will share whatever I recive with you guys as well. Dan

I will post photos as soon as I have figured out how to do it...lol

WWI Ace 12-31-2006 04:19 AM

Alright guys don't give up on me! I got some more covering done on the 1/12th Fokker tripe. I guess it's the thought of routing all the pull-pull that's stalling me out! If I can finish covering this weekend I'll try to get Ma to take some pics to post. I didn't get any WWI stuff for Christmas but I did get the new Eflite Blade CX2 heli with the 5 channel Spektrum radio! Gotta quit hovering in the living room and get back to work! Steve.

scalercflyer 01-02-2007 02:03 AM

Helis

Santa must'a went to the wrong house Steve! Another chopper! At least it isn't RED! :D Martin

CarreraGTSCS 01-02-2007 02:42 AM

This year I resolve to build the Polk's Fokker Dr 1 that's been sitting on a shelf in my basement since early last year. I will paint it though. There are enough red triplanes out there!

Happy New Year to all.

Mike

scalercflyer 01-02-2007 08:55 AM

Dri

I knew I liked you for a reason Mike! :) Seriously though, I am at your service if you want to select a camo scheme. I have many to pick from in my reference collection and they aren't red (take note Steve and Ron)! :D All the Best to you Guys and a Happy New Year! Martin
PS Mike. Where in NJ are you?

robinairerc 01-02-2007 03:46 PM

Hi guys; My first visit here, and I am just getting re-interested in electric after about a 15 year layoff from electrics. Still have an old Mole Technology motor, battery pack, prop and field charger. Believe it or not, pack still charges and operates near normal!!! Mostly still into big gas/glow stuff, but am thinking "small" these days! I have plans for the Fokker D-8, Sopwith Tripe, and SE-5. If anyone interested, I'll check on cost of copying them. Have one local outfit that can copy them full size. I won't part with the originals!! The D-8 is an old Miniature Aircraft plan, and includes a sheet with rib, former and elevator outlines.

Spoonwasher 01-02-2007 09:33 PM

Hi guys
almost finished my SE5a park flyer with a Rimfire motor & great planes ESC, now just waiting on weather to test fly it. Maybe I should have equipped it with skis for our Canadian winters.Also Looks like I'll have lots of Fokkers to hunt down in the sky once we get airborn..lol...Great lookin' planes boys.Also built a park size Curtis Jenny and a GWS Tiger moth. Both are flown indoors but make it outside on not so windy days. My moth equiped witn gws IPS motor & 5amp esc,and a 2cell lipo stays up for 33+ mins....Indoors it flys well in a large gym and guys are amazed it flies so well on elevator/rudder only.Great fun and relaxing to fly.
I'd love to dogfight with a few of you guys as in our club most others have built Sopwith Pups & other Tiger Moths.Chasing fellow allied planes isn't quite the thrill as a German one...lol... The only time we get into the German stuff is when we club -pylon race our GWS WWII warbirds. I started racing the Bf 109, the switched to the Corsair mid season ,as it was much more stable in the wind .With criteria like the motor has to be a stock GWS brushed 350 on 2 cells, the racing isn't super fast but very close( best pilot & builder wins not the best pocket book) which can really get us older guys blood pumping. Our points winner for the year flew a Bf 109..... I'm already practicing hopping to gain an edge over last years champ
I suggested we have a tiger moth class and race these.....but I think we would run out of daylight before we got 15 laps in....would have been a great hurry up and wait race.

LoL

WWI Ace 01-03-2007 12:03 AM

Hey Martin my heli IS red! And CarreraGTSCS if you need help on your Polks tripe build I have one that I built probably about a year ago that is still flying! Big rudder but a really nice plane in the air! I have pics of mine in the Polks tripe thread. Steve.

degreen60 01-09-2007 03:08 PM

Foam Electric WW1

I am new here. I have a scratch build Sopwith triplane made from GWS Tiger Moth wings and foam board from Walmart. For plans I downloaded drawings and used a drawing program to enlarge to size I wanted then tile printed them. I also have a Sig Albatros DV. I did not use the pilot that came with the Albatros but filled it with plaster then use a vac-u-form to make a pilot for both planes. I will post pictures as soon as I learn how to download them straight from my computer.

degreen60 01-09-2007 05:47 PM

I attached picture of my planes. Now to see if it works.