WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

TM4197 08-27-2011 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have read that the patterns used were visable...what ever that means?

My test on the clearcoat worked....I used rust-oleum painters touch, crystal clear. No water marks. I had also applied this on my D-VII a very light coat, you can see the water sitting on the plane. I had flown her in a light mist, and the grass was wet. Its been on the plane for over a week now..no issues.

degreen60 08-27-2011 10:42 PM

Here is a video of my Sopwith Tripe "Peggy" on dawn patrol. The other videos were taken at dusk. The wind was blowing so the low slow fly bys are not as smooth as the other planes. This plane flys so well that when the wind hit I just added power and flew on.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzr4Pb6mRaY[/media]

wattman 08-27-2011 10:51 PM

YES , thats the best video yet , the sky is blue , the trees colors can be seen , the hay has been cut , and it looks like a lawn , and you started with the plane on the ground so all could clearly see what you are flying , this video is GREAT .
It does look like Peggy can fly slow like you said she would .
Thanks for the great video Don , and your sons great work also .

[popcorn]

degreen60 08-27-2011 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by wattman (Post 831226)
YES , thats the best video yet , the sky is blue , the trees colors can be seen , the hay has been cut , and it looks like a lawn , and you started with the plane on the ground so all could clearly see what you are flying , this video is GREAT .
It does look like Peggy can fly slow like you said she would .
Thanks for the great video Don , and your sons great work also .
[popcorn]

Son is going to add a picture to each video of the plane I am flying. Too bad I can not time the sun, wind, and son to good flying and video weather. LOL

scalercflyer 08-28-2011 12:26 AM

Peggy

Nice video Don! :cool: Flies really well. ;) I'm definately jealous! :D Did anyone notice how she disappeared when it went below the treeline? That's why they call it camoflage. ;-) Marty

degreen60 08-28-2011 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 831239)
Did anyone notice how she disappeared when it went below the treeline? That's why they call it camoflage. ;-) Marty

Every once in a while I loose site of my planes when they fly below the tree line. I was flying one evening and had the plane high in the sun light went to land and the plane disappears. I give it up to find it. Next try at landing was fly it at me just above tree line site. Then when close so I could see it, dive down then level for touch down and flip.

degreen60 08-28-2011 01:24 AM

Son enjoys making the video. I am glad everyone likes them. He hunts up the music on line. I am going to miss him when the Pubic Health Service sends him to AZ. He is waiting now to be commissioned.

HobbyJumper 08-28-2011 11:28 AM

Gorgeous video. Looks like a Constable painting. Next time I suggest you get some plastic Herefords about six inches at the shoulder and prop them here and there :-)

Nice flying too. The way your tripe sometimes skids through turns like a Corolla on ice with bald tires reminds me of my Jenny ;-)

degreen60 08-28-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by HobbyJumper (Post 831303)
Nice flying too. The way your tripe sometimes skids through turns like a Corolla on ice with bald tires reminds me of my Jenny ;-)

I was trying to fly slow for the camera and a few times gusts of wind caught the plane. Wife told me I need to loop the plane. Guess I could fly a little higher and do some loops.

HobbyJumper 08-28-2011 03:42 PM

Naw, good the way it is. Richthofen himself said aerobatics don't belong in combat, and are only to "impress the ladies." :)

Originally Posted by degreen60 (Post 831310)
I was trying to fly slow for the camera and a few times gusts of wind caught the plane. Wife told me I need to loop the plane. Guess I could fly a little higher and do some loops.

degreen60 08-30-2011 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 830800)
You sly Devil! :eek::D;) BTW don't tell us, show us (I might steal.... err.. borrow your idea) :D Marty

Here is the thread of my next plane being covered with printed paper.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63700

degreen60 08-30-2011 01:48 AM

Son made a video of my Breguet 14 flying.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEtwuCiyYas[/media]

TM4197 08-30-2011 02:13 AM

Nice job!! Very little dehydral on her. What size motor you have on her Don? She sorta has lines of a TM...:D Great job from scratch my friend!
Have your son take one of your flyby's and slow motion by the cam...we want to see the pilot in that bad girl! BTW: great vids!

wattman 08-30-2011 03:09 AM

Another great video by KJ :D
Looking good Don

degreen60 08-30-2011 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 831544)
Nice job!! Very little dehydral on her. What size motor you have on her Don? She sorta has lines of a TM...:D Great job from scratch my friend!
Have your son take one of your flyby's and slow motion by the cam...we want to see the pilot in that bad girl! BTW: great vids!

I have an AX-2306N motor. It is the motor I install in all my 250 planes. This plane flys a little faster than the Eflites. It has ailerons. I am afaird to get it much slower or lower. I tried the first time he went to video it. Crashed on second go round. Had to repair lower wings. Maybe if I keep flying it I will become better at controling a plane with ailerons.

TM4197 08-30-2011 03:41 AM

Well, looked good to me....ok Iam gonna sound like your wife here....loop and roll the :censor: thing!! [popcorn]

degreen60 08-30-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 831555)
Well, looked good to me....ok Iam gonna sound like your wife here....loop and roll the :censor: thing!! [popcorn]

Beautiful day for flying this morning. Temp 60, no wind, blue sky with white clouds, sun out, and flying area in the shade. Took the Breguet out for a flight. Took it up high and tried to roll it. It will not roll. Just banks over into a dive. Loops are no problem, I turned a roll attempt into a good looking loop. I like it best just flying around with slow gentle turns.

degreen60 08-30-2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by TM4197 (Post 831544)
Nice job!! Very little dehydral on her.

I built the plane with flat wings. It was too unstable for me to fly. I used the brace wires to pull the small amount of dehydral into the wings. What a differance that made. I have heard that easy flying airplanes make easy flying models and the reverse is true too. If that is the case the Breguet 14 with flat wings might have been an easy plane to loose the emeny. Just let go of the stick and hang on. What the plane would do no one knows. I did read an account of a WWI pilot that said his plane was so unstable that the only 2 times he had an emeny after him he just let go of the stick. He said when he let go he did not know what the plane would do and he guess the emeny did not know either cause he lost them.

TM4197 08-30-2011 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thats a good story... I have to laugh...I flew a very old Bunker Jungmeister years ago, it had come right out of an old crate, the guy didnt want to test fly it. I was stupid (well more stupid back then) and did the test flights for him. It flew alot like a Tiger Moth when you had your hand on the stick. Let go of it.....she made me look like a real good aerobatic pilot...I never told the guy the plane was on its own. He flew it a bit later, and still flies it to this day. Planes for sure have personalities!

TM4197 08-30-2011 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For those who have never seen one...

degreen60 08-31-2011 10:46 AM

Here is a video of my Wattage Sopwith Camel. Made this for everyone that wants to see loops. The other videos are just of one flight, nothing added or removed. This one my son spliced 2 flights together. I think this plane can fly slower than anyother plane I have. I am thinking about added ailerons to this plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CTPfodW0hA

wattman 08-31-2011 03:19 PM

:confused: :rolleyes: ;) :D

degreen60 08-31-2011 06:39 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CTPfodW0hA[/media]

wattman 08-31-2011 07:36 PM

Don you and KJ are getting even better , I enjoyed this video the most I belive . Seemed to have more close up flying , low level flying and the aerobatics also , really well done guys . I so wish that I had a place to fly behind my house like you have . But I am thankfull that I have the sports park where I do fly at . :)

Thanks for shareing the joy :D

degreen60 09-01-2011 04:35 AM

Here is video of my JR Models Morane Saulnier N

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQfkuuS2qBk[/media]