WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

WWI Ace 01-14-2010 12:04 AM

Cool!! But everyone knows that the book should be called, "Fokker DR1 vs. Sopwith Camel"!!!! Steve

Ryan Flyer 01-14-2010 07:05 PM

For all you who love WW1 planes like I do this is really cool! You should watch it!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrIf_5gEEM&feature=related[/media]

Enjoy!

Patrick

scalercflyer 01-14-2010 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 681962)
Cool!! But everyone knows that the book should be called, "Fokker DR1 vs. Sopwith Camel"!!!! Steve

AMEN to that Steve! Everyone knows Camels are easy meat for DRIs. :D Marty

Ron 01-15-2010 06:59 AM

unless Snoopy is in the Camel :-)

7car7 01-15-2010 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Flyer (Post 682224)
For all you who love WW1 planes like I do this is really cool! You should watch it!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrIf_5gEEM&feature=related[/media]

Enjoy!

Patrick

Thanks so much! That is one of THE best vids I've seen of real footage.

Ryan Flyer 01-15-2010 07:13 PM

Your welcome! Its is really cool to see the real footage.

dbcisco 01-18-2010 04:53 AM

Neat video. Saved to HD :)

barmonkey 01-18-2010 10:31 PM

How did you save it? Or did you just save the link?

dbcisco 01-18-2010 11:21 PM

I used the realplayer download utility. It comes with the free realplayer download. Have to make sure to uncheck all the video types when installing or it will make realplayer the default player for all your vids. Another way is to copy the .flv file from iexplorers temp internet folder after youtube (or whatever) plays the video.

WWI Ace 01-18-2010 11:24 PM

I like the video!!! Steve

Ron 01-19-2010 06:25 PM

The Dr1 is for all intents and purposes finished as of last night...I will post a couple of snapshots later....Just need to do the designation lettering on the fuse sides, and carve a 29" prop...if anyone's interested in the prop carving adventure, I can post step by step pics as I try it...doesn't look very difficult to me :rolleyes:

Ron 01-19-2010 07:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here it is in all it's "glory" weight got away from me a little it weighs 15 pounds with batteries in..

Looken ze outen Snoopy :p>

Gonzo007 01-19-2010 07:36 PM

Looks great Ron. When's the test flight? Let me know and I will try and make it out.

Colin

WWI Ace 01-19-2010 11:18 PM

That is one cool triplane Ron!!!!! Can't wait to see a flying video!!! Steve

scalercflyer 01-20-2010 01:20 AM

Superb job Ron! :) You did us proud! :D VR would be proud too! ;):D:cool: Marty

Biplane Murphy 01-20-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 683772)
That is one cool triplane Ron!!!!! Can't wait to see a flying video!!! Steve

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 683821)
Superb job Ron! :) You did us proud! :D VR would be proud too! ;):D:cool: Marty

+3

79CJ 01-20-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 683663)
The Dr1 is for all intents and purposes finished as of last night...I will post a couple of snapshots later....Just need to do the designation lettering on the fuse sides, and carve a 29" prop...if anyone's interested in the prop carving adventure, I can post step by step pics as I try it...doesn't look very difficult to me :rolleyes:

I'd personally love to see the process. What wood are you planning on using?

BTW, the plane looks fantastic.

Ryan Flyer 01-20-2010 03:42 PM

I would love to see the prop carving!
Glad you all like the video.
Pat

7car7 01-20-2010 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 683676)
Here it is in all it's "glory" weight got away from me a little it weighs 15 pounds with batteries in..

Looken ze outen Snoopy :p>

Love the scheme! Really nice job you've done. Can you tell us how you made the wheels/tires? Noticed they're gray, not black. Nice scale touch.

Ron 01-20-2010 05:03 PM

Thanks fellows...I am going to start the prop today....
7car7..the wheels are a plywood disc..9 1/2" in diameter..on the outside, I made a 'China Hat" out of 1/32 plywood. The hat is 1 1/4" in diameter smaller than the wheel. the center hub is 3 pieces 1/4" plywood washers epoxied onto the face of the hub...the back side has one washer glued on...glue all that on first then I painted all this with red paint, except for the outside 7/8" of the rim on both sides since you need to glue the tire here...next I made a jig/fixture to split some 7/8" gray foam rod that I bought at the hardware store... I made a 7/8" wide x 7/8" deep channel out of some scrap ply..about 3 " long...then in the back side of the channel at one end, insert a hard backed razor blade ...let it stick through about 1 inch....then you run the foam rod or hose or whatever through the channel...it splits it absolutely perfectly in half..every time..it worked so good, I found a little plastic box to store it in..this one's a keeper :-) then I used weldbond to glue each tire half onto to the plywwod rim.......the foam is atually not taking any load.... the center has a brass bushing made out of 7/32 tube epoxied into it..it's a clearance fit for 3/16 axle. .. they are sturdy, and light..the pair weigh 12 ounces......Wms bros wheels this size weigh 42 ounces for a pair.

I was looking around for some wood to carve the prop from last night, and noticed that the support leg for my temporary stand was made out of a yellow cedar 2X4 straight grained and clear, so I commandeered it for a prop blank..somewhere in that 2 by 4 is hiding a 28" prop :-) so I'm gonna carve away everything that doesn't look like a prop and see what happens...

7car7 01-21-2010 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ron, have you seen this thread about making props?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541181

This is how I made my laminated prop for my SE5. It was a lot of fun actually, and it is very thin and light.

Ron 01-21-2010 05:37 PM

7car:
Yes I have tinkered with this type of prop on smaller applications, but being that this is about 30" in diameter, and the pitch is so steep, it doesn't look feasible once you make the pattern and stack it. so here's where I started.
I decided that somewhere in that 36" temporary clear yellow cedar bench leg, there must be a prop hiding and since we want a 28" prop, there's no problem getting a 1 1/2 X 3 1/2 X 28" piece out of it.so replaced the leg with something less quality ....it is after all only a bench leg :-) here's how I started.

formula for a helical pitch propellor is P x W /T= C .......P is the required pitch ...W is the width of the prop .....T is the thickness of the prop..... C is the circumference of the prop at the desired pitch...first thing to do is decide prop dimensions..using the formula above
P=14....W= 2.750.....T= 1.250....these are just what looks about right..they are not critical dimensions..you could go wider or more narrow..thicker or thinner..I used 1 1/4" thick because that's what will fit the prop adaptor.... next I dimensioned the "prop blank" made a piece 28"long...2 3/4" wide and 1 1/4 thick...do the math next

So 14 x 2.75= 38.5 38.5/1.250= 30.800 this is the circumference of the "pitch circle" then we divide by 3.1416 which is pi this gives us the diameter at the desired pitch which is 9.8 inches..so we divide 9.8 by 2 to get the pitch radius...which is roughly 4 15/16".
next lay out the center of the blank on the front face...then at 4 15/16" out from there on both sides mark the radius with a square across the blank as if you were going to cut it. so now you have a block with a center line, and two marks at the radius points..... look at the end of the block and draw a diagonal from lower left corner to upper right corner on one end...then do it again on the other end...you have now just drawn the bottom surface of the prop at point marked...this is 14" pitch.
next I drew the hub with a compass...marked the shape I wanted the prop, and started to carve the back side of both blades with a knife/spokeshave...the triangle of material underneath the line that goes from bottom left to top right has to be removed.....that's where I'm at now....more later..possibly some pics if I can get the camera to work.

dbcisco 01-21-2010 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 684394)
....formula for a helical pitch propellor is P x W /T= C P is the required pitch W is the width of the prop T is the thickness of the prop C is the circumference of the prop at the desired pitch...first thing to do is decide prop dimensions..using the formula above
P=14....W= 2.750.....T= 1.250....these are just what looks about right..they are not critical dimensions..you could go wider or more narrow..thicker or thinner..I used 1 1/4" thick because that's what will fit the prop adaptor.... next I dimensioned the "prop blank" made a piece 28"long...2 3/4" wide and 1 1/4 thick...do the math next

So 14 x 2.75= 38.5 38.5/1.250= 30.800 this is the circumference of the "pitch circle" then we divide by 3.1416 which is pi this gives us the diameter at the desired pitch which is 9.8 inches..so we divide 9.8 by 2 to get the pitch radius...which is roughly 4 15/16".
next lay out the center of the blank on the front face...then at 4 15/16" out from there on both sides mark the radius with a square across the blank as if you were going to cut it. so now you have a block with a center line, and two marks at the radius points.....

WOW! I will never complain about the cost of props ever again.::o

Ryan Flyer 01-21-2010 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by dbcisco (Post 684397)
WOW! I will never complain about the cost of props ever again.::o

Right! That is crazy! :eek: My hat is off to you Ron.
Pat

BradT 01-22-2010 04:03 AM

db and Ryan, I think it takes Ron about as long to describe the math involved, as it actually takes him to measure up and mark the blank, and before you know it, he's got the thing carved! It seems to come naturally to him, as he mis-spent part of his youth as a boat builder, I believe.;-) I had the pleasure of flying his original 30% DR I on several occasions, and his first hand carved yellow cedar prop worked very well on the model. I have a cedar mill fairly close to me, so I picked up a couple of clear 2x4s for Ron back when he decided to do the first prop, so I think that bench leg must be the other piece.:<:

I visited Ron last week, when the model had just been covered, but not yet painted. The pictures really don't do it justice; it's a beautiful plane, and HUGE! I can't wait to see it in the air.

Brad.