WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

WWI Ace 10-09-2008 01:16 AM

I'm back from Chicago guys!!! How is everyone doing? We had a good trip, just too much driving!!! What are you guys working on? Steve

scalercflyer 10-09-2008 02:54 AM

My secret project

Steve my Boy! I hope all went well with the trip! :) I have been working on a secret project that I want to share with you Guys. :D :cool: With the indoor season approaching I have decided to do something different. My project is to convert a Pico Tiger Moth into a German fighter ala The Blue Max (my all time favorite movie BTW). :cool: If you look closely at the planes in the movie you will notice several Tiggies camo'ed and made up to look like fighters. :eek: Well I was thinking that it would be cool to transform my Tiggie into such an aircraft. :cool: I do need some help from you Guys though. Today I down loaded some printed 5 color lozenge from Aerodrome's website. I was trying to figure the best way to apply the printed pattern to my Tiggie. Have any of you tried to use diluted white glue or should I use rubber cement? :confused: Or do you Guys have a better way to apply it? I want to make sure the paper adheres well but at the same time make it look real. Suggestions Gentlemen. Martin

7car7 10-09-2008 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 487357)
I was trying to figure the best way to apply the printed pattern to my Tiggie.

Are you using tissue to print out on, or regular printer paper?

You may recall, on my original build of my Albatros I used tissue over the original plastic film. I sprayed minwax polycrylic (WBPU) on the wing, then drapped a pre-sprayed sheet of printed tissue over that. Pre-sprayed because it would expand when wet, and pre-spraying would help to eliminate wrinkles. But it makes it MUCH more fragile and hard to work.

7car7 10-09-2008 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by WWI Ace (Post 487297)
I'm back from Chicago guys!!! How is everyone doing? We had a good trip, just too much driving!!! What are you guys working on? Steve

I happen to also be working on a PTM. But like most of us here, I can never leave well enough alone.

I decided to make it look like a Gypsy Moth, but just the nose cowling area. I'm not straightening the wings, and giving less stagger. Just a nose job.

I was kinda thinking about extending the wings, making them longer, (or at least the top one), but I don't think I will. Too skeered I guess. Don't want to ruin a great flying plane.

scalercflyer 10-09-2008 05:41 PM

CAMO

7CAR7 I have printed the patterns on regular paper. I'm going to experiment a little first before commiting to putting it on the Tiggie. I have some foam in the shop that I'll use. I'm going to try using diluted glue first. If I'm successful with that, I'll coat it with WBPU and see what happens. Or maybe I'll try just the polyU without glueing it first. Should be interesting. I'll keep you Guys posted. Martin

degreen60 10-09-2008 07:40 PM

I covered the wings of my Albatros with printed paper and also a foam Zero. I used 3M Supper 77 spray adhesive.

WWI Ace 10-10-2008 12:52 AM

Martin I would be afraid that a diluted glue mixture might make the paper lay incorrectly but I'm not sure. I would think that some kind of spray adhesive would be better. Steve

scalercflyer 10-10-2008 11:40 PM

Spray adhesive

I tried some all purpose spray 3M adhesive and it melted the foam! I need to experiment some more before commiting the Tiggie. More to come Guys. Martin

FlyingMonkey 10-11-2008 05:18 AM

spray it on your covering, not the foam...

scalercflyer 10-11-2008 07:58 PM

Adhesive

OK FM, I'll give it a try. Martin

degreen60 10-11-2008 08:06 PM

I install my decals with pink stick glue. Usally have to reglue a few spots at the edge but then they stick down real good.

Bill G 10-12-2008 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 488407)
I tried some all purpose spray 3M adhesive and it melted the foam! I need to experiment some more before commiting the Tiggie. More to come Guys. Martin

They have some different contact sprays. Must have had VOCs in it, although I've heard they're using less or none of them lately. Was it an older can?
I've bought 2 different 3M contact sprays from the LHS that worked on very light grade foam, which is the kind that gets eaten quickly by thinners.
That is a bummer though, when something eats your foam. Recently I touched up a few spots with a Coverite spray, but using a brush. As usual, it didn't eat it until a few minutes later, when I stopped watching it. Fortunately they were small, so I filled the areas and used something else to paint them.

scalercflyer 10-12-2008 05:03 AM

Adhesive

Guys, the spray adhesive was an older (very old) spray can. :) The foam that melted was a piece of scrap that I used to test the adhesive. Thank God my Mother didn't raise a dummy! :eek::D:cool: Martin

scalercflyer 10-18-2008 07:23 PM

WWI site

Boys you gotta check out this site! :eek::D:cool: Enjoy! Martin

http://www.sero-papermodels.com/cont...ge.2_download2

FlyingMonkey 10-18-2008 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 488727)
OK FM, I'll give it a try. Martin

did you try it yet?

WWI Ace 10-19-2008 12:01 AM

That is a cool site Martin!!! Thanks!!! Steve

degreen60 10-19-2008 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 492180)
Boys you gotta check out this site! :eek::D:cool: Enjoy! Martin

This is the site where I got the printed motor I built and put in my Morane Sauliner L.

7car7 10-23-2008 04:04 PM

Any body notice, Tower Hobbies has the G.P. DR1 and DVII on sale?

WOW, that's a serious savings. (kinda wonder what the story is behind that)

I'm almost tempted to get the DR1.

But I know I shouldn't.

I think.

Bill G 10-23-2008 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 7car7 (Post 494546)
Any body notice, Tower Hobbies has the G.P. DR1 and DVII on sale?

WOW, that's a serious savings. (kinda wonder what the story is behind that)

I'm almost tempted to get the DR1.

But I know I shouldn't.

I think.

Gotta tell yourself its still 70 bucks. I guess we're the same as women with the "but it was on sale" thing.:D Must be a closeout. Probably gone soon if not now. I should have bought a few Wattage Sopwith foamy Camels when they blew them out for $25.

7car7 10-24-2008 06:26 PM

Yet the Eflite Jenny went UP in price! Wonder what the justification for that is.

dbcisco 10-25-2008 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by 7car7 (Post 495033)
Yet the Eflite Jenny went UP in price! Wonder what the justification for that is.

Because everyone else is dropping their prices on WWI bipes?

I love my Jenny but I won't be getting the SE with low prices from everyone else lately.

Bill G 10-25-2008 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by dbcisco (Post 495264)

I love my Jenny but I won't be getting the SE with low prices from everyone else lately.

I think they may pay for their price increases with less purchases from us. All of us keep making less and less, and yet the big 3 distributors refuse to lose a penny in tougher economic time. They need to share a bit of the burden with us. The other reason for increases recently may be them taking advantage of the Christmas season starting up, thinking folks will buy more by default.

My LHS owner has been buying more WWI planes since their is a group of Dawn Patrol guys starting up in the area, which have been buying them. He was not thrilled when I told him today about the Tower DVII and DR1 sale, when he just got some. He called right away to argue a credit.:D

Originally Posted by dbcisco (Post 495264)

I hear ya man.
I kept blowing it off at $50, and them somehow got sucked in when it went to $60 recently. As far as I'm concerned, my Eflite SE5A is my last ARF purchase, or maybe any purchase from the major disributors. I gotta find out who has the good cheap stuff.:D

scalercflyer 10-25-2008 04:40 AM

Price increases

Must be the LOWER cost of fuel!:eek::eek: Martin

dbcisco 10-25-2008 04:43 AM

I paid $40 for the E-Flite Jenny, $25 for the Wattage Camel and $30 for the GWS Tigermoth. The Guillows kits cost me under $25 each.

At the price of the Great Planes, Sig and other Balsa/Foam ARF's I don't think the Guillows kits are a bargain. However, the Guillows kits are teaching me enough that I can eventually just need plans and a few dollars worth of wood and covering:)

Now, if only the 72Mhz electronics and brushed ESC's become obsolete by the spectrum stuff..... super cheap jagdstaffel !!!!

Bill G 10-25-2008 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by dbcisco (Post 495300)
I paid $40 for the E-Flite Jenny, $25 for the Wattage Camel and $30 for the GWS Tigermoth. The Guillows kits cost me under $25 each.

At the price of the Great Planes, Sig and other Balsa/Foam ARF's I don't think the Guillows kits are a bargain. However, the Guillows kits are teaching me enough that I can eventually just need plans and a few dollars worth of wood and covering:)

Now, if only the 72Mhz electronics and brushed ESC's become obsolete by the spectrum stuff..... super cheap jagdstaffel !!!!

That's exactly how I started. I built a number of Guillows planes that I could not fly, let alone the plane's not being properly set up to fly either in most cases.:D One by one I sorted them out, which is about the best way to gain both flying skill and building expertise at the same time. Started 3-view no-plans scratchbuilds shortly thereafter.