WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Flyzone Micro Albatros (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56453)

dbcisco 08-25-2010 08:34 PM

Still "Early September" at Tower.

scalercflyer 08-25-2010 08:47 PM

OH :censor: it! I need another indoor flyer. :mad: Are you getting one d? marty

scalercflyer 08-25-2010 08:52 PM

DVa

Tower will be selling it at $79.00. Not to bad considering. Of course give it a littile time and Steve will mess it up by painting it red!. marty

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...tros%3C%2FB%3E

WWI Ace 08-27-2010 11:39 PM

I was just thinking that red would be a great color since it alredy has part of the plane that color!! Hee hee!!! Steve

scalercflyer 08-28-2010 12:23 AM

A texican camo scheme

You're killing me Steve! Here's a good camo scheme for you, you crazy Texican! :eek: :D Marty

[media]http://wwi-cookup.com/albatros/dva/ed172_dva_sw001.jpg[/media]

WWI Ace 08-28-2010 10:04 PM

I LIKE THAT ONE Marty!!! Steve

scalercflyer 08-29-2010 04:34 AM

Yeah Steve! You could put a "C" in place of the S. Kinda neat right? Oh and no red! :eek::D Marty

dbcisco 08-29-2010 06:07 AM

I am telling my wife I want one for my birthday (9/22). Bet I won't be able to get one until Halloween.:mad:

WWI Ace 08-29-2010 09:01 PM

Is Halloween a holiday that involves presents? Ha ha! Steve

dbcisco 08-29-2010 10:00 PM

Yeah, mostly edible ones.

scalercflyer 08-30-2010 02:40 AM

The dog

My wife got me a white chocolate (my favorite) airplane for my birthday a few years back. When I went to eat it. I found the dog had chewed and eaten half of it! Boy was I :censor: :mad:! I almost gave him his first free flying lesson! :eek: I wanted to kill him! Good thing my wife stopped me. :mad: He might have sprouted wings in doggy heaven! ! :eek: Marty

dbcisco 08-30-2010 04:05 AM

Wife says the Z/28 (not a model) I bought a couple weeks ago is my birthday present. Guess I'll have to leave this for her to get me for Xmas.

120pilot 09-02-2010 05:17 PM

Tower sent me an email this morning saying it was sent yesterday. UPS says it will be delivered today.

scalercflyer 09-02-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 120pilot (Post 746953)
Tower sent me an email this morning saying it was sent yesterday. UPS says it will be delivered today.

Send us some pics when you get it! Marty

120pilot 09-03-2010 12:31 AM

9 Attachment(s)
It is here. Here are a few pics.

scalercflyer 09-03-2010 12:43 AM

Now

OH BABY! :eek: I want one now! :D Marty

scalercflyer 09-03-2010 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by dbcisco (Post 746011)
Wife says the Z/28 (not a model) I bought a couple weeks ago is my birthday present. Guess I'll have to leave this for her to get me for Xmas.

D stand up to her! Tell you want one NOW! :D The Z is just a means for you to get to work isn't it? Well, the DVa is an absolute must for your positive state/frame of mind to keep you working so you can get her nice things, hairdos, etc, ad nauseum....:p>. (gee maybe I can use that line on my wife!). :eek::D Marty

120pilot 09-03-2010 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh it also comes with a pilot figure. At 1st I thought he was AWOL but he was there hiding in the white foam.

degreen60 09-03-2010 01:39 AM

Marty is lying when he says he wants one, he don't a red plane.

dbcisco 09-03-2010 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by scalercflyer (Post 747046)
:D The Z is just a means for you to get to work isn't it?

I drive a "sensible" car to work. The Z is a big, loud, fast toy.
You would love my Z, Marty, it isn't red, it's black. :D
Maybe I should put Jacob's Wind God on the sides.;-)

dbcisco 09-03-2010 01:51 AM

I was just sad that I have to wait for one until I saw the pics. I am crying hysterically now.:sad:

120pilot 09-03-2010 01:53 AM

Ok, I just flew it. Now keep in mind I went and bought a Hobbyzone Champ while I was waiting for the Albatros to finally ship. So it may not be a good airplane to compare it to but it is my only other RTF micro. First off I prefer the Champs radio for smoother stick feel. The flyzone sticks have a very positve center area that feels too agressive to me. Like you have to push through the center harder than I would prefer. It is easy enough to get used to I am sure. I also prefer a seperate charger. I would rather not use the transmitter to charge the aircraft battery. And I so wish the albatros's receiver was compatible with my spektrum radio like the champs is.

The first thing I noticed was the motor is loud compared to the Champs. It just seems to have a rougher gear noise. It seems to have plenty of power. It rog'd in about 4-6 feet into a little breeze using my kids trampoline as a runway. It climbed with authority. The foam used in this airplane feels stiffer to me than the Champs.

Flying-wise it is way different than the Champ as would be expected. Turns are flatter with a much slower roll rate. It kind of yaws around the turn and then slowly rolls in to it. Out of the box it will barely do a loop but you can't flare to land from a power off glide. You need power to flare. And you also need power to turn. In a glide it will barely turn. Add power and it turns just fine. I think it could use some more elevator throw for sure and maybe more rudder. There are 2 holes left closer to the hinge on the elevator and three on the rudder. So more throw is available.

It looks cool in the air. The sun was setting as I flew it and it looked awesome against the sunset.

I am looking forward to flying it indoors in smooth air so I can get a better feel for how it performs.

degreen60 09-03-2010 01:37 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Hobbico-FlyZ...item5adbc217c8

scalercflyer 09-03-2010 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by dbcisco (Post 747064)
I drive a "sensible" car to work. The Z is a big, loud, fast toy.
You would love my Z, Marty, it isn't red, it's black. :D
Maybe I should put Jacob's Wind God on the sides.;-)

D I spent most of my working life (25 years!) as a GM Chevrolet Master Technician (mechanic). If you run into any problems with that beastly Z, give me a call/PM. I still think you deserve that plane! BTW, mine WILL be repainted! :D Marty

120pilot 09-03-2010 03:54 PM

I got a chance to make a quick flight this morning in the hangar. It was a lot more enjoyable than last night with the breeze. I also moved the elevator pushrod up to the top hole on the horn. The elevator authority is much better now and loops are easy. It is a gentle flyer. Roll is definitely slower than the Champ. You have to start the turns a little earlier to avoid the hangar walls. With the extra elevator throw you can land with power off and get enough flare to produce a firm arrival wheel landing. Add a little power and you can feather it on with a 3 point landing. I can snap roll the Champ in the hangar. I have not tried that with the albatros. I am sure rudder rolls if possible will eat a lot of altitude with the slow roll rate of the albatros. Should be fun relaxing flyer. And it looks cool!!