WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Become A Model Aviation Mentor. Help Others In Our Sport! (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69834)

Murocflyer 02-17-2013 10:16 AM

Need Help? Looking For Someone Local? Wanting To Help Others In This Hobby?
 
We all love model aviation no matter what the form. Some like airplanes, some helis, others like multirotors, or RC cars and boats. No matter what you like to do, or if you like all of them in one form or another, we all had to learn that skill at one time. We were not born with knowing how to fly model aircraft or know how to build a foam or balsa plane.

I have come up with an idea that will make it easier to help others in this hobby. The idea is quite simple and it uses an online map program that is available to everyone.

This idea is great for AMA members because as you know, some folks may be intimidated by showing up at your local club unannounced and they may feel uncomfortable by all the people with expensive planes. This offers the AMA member a way to meet newcomers to the hobby and introduce them in a "non-threatening" atmosphere.

If you would like to volunteer to be a Model Aviation Mentor, just post in this thread and I can add you to our map. Your contact info can be anything you would like. I can link your blog page, or use a telephone number, or your email address. Anyone looking at the map will not know your exact location or address, they will just know what town you are in or what section of the city or county you are located in.

MA Mentors can volunteer to do many things. They can teach others how to fly, build airplanes, or helis, or quadcopters or whatever you choose. Forums are great, but they lack the personal one on one ability and real time interaction that we get working with people face to face. And as you know, looking at a PC screen is no substitute for a real person.

Here is a link to our map page: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...fa6f42a3de34bc

If you have any questions, feel free to post in this thread. And thank you in advance for wanting help others in our sport.

Frank

JetPlaneFlyer 02-17-2013 11:51 AM

This is an international forum... Why only a map of the USA?

Some of the other 95% of the world population fly RC too you know;)

road king 97 02-17-2013 05:08 PM

I can help with learning how to fly plus building arfs and scratch builds also in my area . joe

Murocflyer 02-17-2013 06:02 PM


Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 900927)
This is an international forum... Why only a map of the USA?

Some of the other 95% of the world population fly RC too you know;)

I have not had any volunteers outside of the USA volunteer so I cannot answer your question.

Frank

Murocflyer 02-17-2013 06:03 PM


Originally Posted by road king 97 (Post 900945)
I can help with learning how to fly plus building arfs and scratch builds also in my area . joe

Awesome! Thanks Joe. I will add you to our map.

Frank

firemanbill 02-17-2013 06:13 PM


Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 900927)
This is an international forum... Why only a map of the USA?

Some of the other 95% of the world population fly RC too you know;)

JPF, you can zoom out on the map and see the whole world.

Frank, can you add someone to the map anywhere, or just the USA? I bet that there are a lot of folks in other countries that are willing to do this also.

road king 97 02-17-2013 06:28 PM


Originally Posted by firemanbill (Post 900958)
JPF, you can zoom out on the map and see the whole world.

Frank, can you add someone to the map anywhere, or just the USA? I bet that there are a lot of folks in other countries that are willing to do this also.

I can grab and pull the map by left clicking it to get around the world . joe

JetPlaneFlyer 02-17-2013 07:12 PM


Originally Posted by Murocflyer (Post 900956)
I have not had any volunteers outside of the USA volunteer so I cannot answer your question.

Frank

You have now.. Me in Aberdeen Scotland;)

JetPlaneFlyer 02-17-2013 07:13 PM


Originally Posted by road king 97 (Post 900959)
I can grab and pull the map by left clicking it to get around the world . joe

ok, must me me jumping to conclusions because I could only see the USA when I clicked the link, plus the mention of AMA in first post. Sorry!

Bub Steve 02-17-2013 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to help too, sign me up Frank (ama the same #as before), The Kids and I have alot of fun learning and helping newbies:ws:
bubsteve

Murocflyer 02-17-2013 07:28 PM


Originally Posted by firemanbill (Post 900958)
JPF, you can zoom out on the map and see the whole world.

Frank, can you add someone to the map anywhere, or just the USA? I bet that there are a lot of folks in other countries that are willing to do this also.

You bet! Model aviation is a worldwide sport/hobby. Anyone can volunteer to help if they wish.

Frank

road king 97 02-17-2013 07:28 PM


Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 900963)
ok, must me me jumping to conclusions because I could only see the USA when I clicked the link, plus the mention of AMA in first post. Sorry!

No iam happy to see others step up to the plate and pay it foward and the best part your not in the USA . Good going . :D joe

Murocflyer 02-17-2013 07:28 PM


Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 900961)
You have now.. Me in Aberdeen Scotland;)

Great! What contact info should I use? WF or RCG or both?

Thanks,

Frank

PS What would you like to do? Flight instructor, build planes from ???

Murocflyer 02-17-2013 07:34 PM


Originally Posted by stevecooper (Post 900967)
I'd like to help too, sign me up Frank (ama the same #as before), The Kids and I have alot of fun learning and helping newbies:ws:
bubsteve

You bet Steve! Thanks for volunteering. Are you wanting to be listed as a flight instructor and someone to help build planes?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Frank

JetPlaneFlyer 02-17-2013 07:52 PM


Originally Posted by Murocflyer (Post 900971)
Great! What contact info should I use? WF or RCG or both?

Thanks,

Frank

PS What would you like to do? Flight instructor, build planes from ???

Thanks Frank.

Happy to help in any way short of actually building for others (dont have the time). It would be fixed wing flying only, I've got a heli but I'm very much a beginner on rotary wing.

Use both EF and RCG please!

Murocflyer 02-17-2013 08:02 PM


Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 900976)
Thanks Frank.

Happy to help in any way short of actually building for others (dont have the time). It would be fixed wing flying only, I've got a heli but I'm very much a beginner on rotary wing.

Use both EF and RCG please!

Got it. Thanks!

Frank

Turner 02-17-2013 08:09 PM

This is a great idea, Frank. Love the Google map directory.

Bub Steve 02-18-2013 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Murocflyer (Post 900973)
You bet Steve! Thanks for volunteering. Are you wanting to be listed as a flight instructor and someone to help build planes?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Frank

Both:D bubsteve
just had a solo today with a new guy, he had a lite two cell trainer and a Big old Yak 54 on a 4-cell, little breezy for his plane but he flew a whole 3-cell out in he SuperCub, all in all a great day to learn to fly (5-9mph 56 F ). I flew the boo-boo squat outta the Yak,, cool plane,
bubsteve

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5Es0bnulM&list=FLjFN4tBLsWxyAOX0bO7jDfQ& index=1[/media]

road king 97 02-18-2013 12:34 AM


Originally Posted by stevecooper (Post 901023)
Both:D bubsteve
just had a solo today with a new guy, he had a lite two cell trainer and a Big old Yak 54 on a 4-cell, little breezy for his plane but he flew a whole 3-cell out in he SuperCub, all in all a great day to learn to fly (5-9mph 56 F ). I flew the boo-boo squat outta the Yak,, cool plane,
bubsteve

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5Es0bnulM&list=FLjFN4tBLsWxyAOX0bO7jDfQ& index=1[/media]

I wish we could get a heat wave of 56 F up here.lol

Murocflyer 02-18-2013 05:11 PM


Originally Posted by Turner (Post 900983)
This is a great idea, Frank. Love the Google map directory.

Thanks! I know there are always folks looking for help and I thought this would be a great way to find help in their area.

I just hope there are people willing to volunteer to share their skills and experience with others. I know there are a lot of folks that are willing to help via the forums but interaction with strangers in real life can be unnerving to them.

Frank

Murocflyer 02-18-2013 05:14 PM


Originally Posted by stevecooper (Post 901023)
Both:D bubsteve
just had a solo today with a new guy, he had a lite two cell trainer and a Big old Yak 54 on a 4-cell, little breezy for his plane but he flew a whole 3-cell out in he SuperCub, all in all a great day to learn to fly (5-9mph 56 F ). I flew the boo-boo squat outta the Yak,, cool plane,
bubsteve

Got it. Thanks again Steve!

Frank

Murocflyer 02-19-2013 08:37 PM

Our list of MA Mentors is slowly growing. I appreciate all those willing to help out. If anyone else is interested in volunteering please let me know.

Thanks,

Frank

road king 97 02-19-2013 08:44 PM


Originally Posted by Murocflyer (Post 901234)
Our list of MA Mentors is slowly growing. I appreciate all those willing to help out. If anyone else is interested in volunteering please let me know.

Thanks,

Frank

I hope we get some pictures of some of you who are helping across the big pond.in the future. I have taught many to fly here in IL but it would be great to see others in different countrys teaching the new comers. :D joe

Scirocco14 02-19-2013 11:42 PM

I'd like to be a mentor. I'm from Asheville, NC, and a member of the Etowah RC Flying Club (Etowah, NC) and Heliheads (Arden, NC).

I'd be happy to help with kit building, ARF assembly (and crash repair..:censor: ), flight instruction (I'm an instructor at Etowah), covering (film coverings as well as silk/silkspan/fabric/dope), and model engine repairs.

Scirocco14gp AT Bellsouth dot net

Thanks!

Mark

tampaflyer 02-20-2013 01:42 AM

i,m in.

brian gafford
4504 w grainary
tampa fly 33624

[email protected]
belong to TRAC and CAN-AM

facebook club for those that use that:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/283901963722/

road king 97 02-20-2013 04:56 PM


Originally Posted by Scirocco14 (Post 901265)
I'd like to be a mentor. I'm from Asheville, NC, and a member of the Etowah RC Flying Club (Etowah, NC) and Heliheads (Arden, NC).

I'd be happy to help with kit building, ARF assembly (and crash repair..:censor: ), flight instruction (I'm an instructor at Etowah), covering (film coverings as well as silk/silkspan/fabric/dope), and model engine repairs.

Scirocco14gp AT Bellsouth dot net

Thanks!

Mark

Silk and dope is a great choice for covering airplanes and it took a while for me to learn , . It was and still is the lightest covering you could use. I still have my 72 inch wing span first old time buzzard bombshell i siked and doped :D Great your willing to teach others Mark :D joe

Murocflyer 02-20-2013 08:00 PM


Originally Posted by Scirocco14 (Post 901265)
I'd like to be a mentor. I'm from Asheville, NC, and a member of the Etowah RC Flying Club (Etowah, NC) and Heliheads (Arden, NC).

I'd be happy to help with kit building, ARF assembly (and crash repair..:censor: ), flight instruction (I'm an instructor at Etowah), covering (film coverings as well as silk/silkspan/fabric/dope), and model engine repairs.

Scirocco14gp AT Bellsouth dot net

Thanks!

Mark


Awesome! Thanks Mark!

Frank

Murocflyer 02-20-2013 08:04 PM


Originally Posted by tampaflyer (Post 901287)
i,m in.


[email protected]
belong to TRAC and CAN-AM

facebook club for those that use that:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/283901963722/

Got it Brian. Thanks! I would remove your address though in your post.

BTW, how can I list your assistance? Flight instructor, builder, etc?

Thanks,

Frank

Murocflyer 02-21-2013 09:13 PM

NJ is leading the way for 4 volunteers in the Garden State. Way to go NJ! Who would have thought?

Frank

Bub Steve 02-21-2013 09:56 PM

need more Florida folk!! bubsteve

Murocflyer 02-22-2013 08:09 AM


Originally Posted by stevecooper (Post 901479)
need more Florida folk!! bubsteve

Totally agree! FL is a big state! I am also surprised we have not have any more volunteers from either CA or GA. Both are very populated with RCers.

And I'm surprised that no one from the UK has not volunteered yet. I thought RC was a huge hobby over there.

BTW, NJ has 5 volunteers now.

Frank

Murocflyer 02-22-2013 06:23 PM

I thought it would be interesting to note how may people were volunteering from what state and country. The stats can be found here.

Frank

Bub Steve 02-22-2013 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my young Club kids who we have been building a pico stick I bought for him 9$ at GWS Props), Is moving to Ill,:( This was so sudden:concern:, I got a Ember Micro from a friend and got him a solo and he flew a few lipos out,, DID TWO LOOPS!!!:ws:, I gave him a Traxass like car to take up there and will mail him the Pico soon, He just came by and we drove My Hopped-up 70MPH Traxxass in the rain ( only 72 F Here) and had a ball, I was at his house when he was born, his two brothers and his sister have been in the Club for several years now and he's been chomp'in at the bit to fly with us and now that he's finally ready they have to move:red:, I hope we can stay in touch as I really love that little rascal. Kids are what its all about I've found later in life, Nothing is more fun than a kids big smile after getting away with a dumb thumb and flying out of it, Teach a kid to fly and you may find yourself along the way,bubsteve

Murocflyer 02-23-2013 04:36 PM

Steve,

Sorry to hear about him moving to IL. But you are right, teaching new people and especially kids is very rewarding for all involved. That is why I am so excited about this idea. We have a chance to make a difference for someone in this hobby and this is probably one of the easiest things we can do. We have an easy way for someone wanting to learn more to hook up with a MA Mentor in your local area.

Helping people doesn't take much effort and it sure can be a lot of fun. I think the hardest part is getting people to realize that it is not a scary thing to step out of the virtual world of your PC and meet real people to help them in our hobby.

Perhaps when they pictures like yours they will be more inclined to help. Thanks for sharing your photos and if you can think of any ideas that can help people understand that helping others in this sport is really very rewarding than let me know.

Thanks,

Frank

road king 97 02-23-2013 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Murocflyer (Post 901689)
Steve,

Sorry to hear about him moving to IL. But you are right, teaching new people and especially kids is very rewarding for all involved. That is why I am so excited about this idea. We have a chance to make a difference for someone in this hobby and this is probably one of the easiest things we can do. We have an easy way for someone wanting to learn more to hook up with a MA Mentor in your local area.

Helping people doesn't take much effort and it sure can be a lot of fun. I think the hardest part is getting people to realize that it is not a scary thing to step out of the virtual world of your PC and meet real people to help them in our hobby.

Perhaps when they pictures like yours they will be more inclined to help. Thanks for sharing your photos and if you can think of any ideas that can help people understand that helping others in this sport is really very rewarding than let me know.

Thanks,

Frank

Hey Hey ! alot of great clubs here in IL . plus the guys in chicago fly at the lake front and city parks or the ride out by me at the sod fields or a school and fly. Always a rc funfly or event to attend all over IL and IN since iam close to the border . I will retire soon and move west where it does not snow but i will miss flying all over in this state. The boys in IN sent me their copy of events around here this was their pdf of them .

Bub Steve 02-23-2013 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by road king 97 (Post 901692)
Hey Hey ! alot of great clubs here in IL . plus the guys in chicago fly at the lake front and city parks or the ride out by me at the sod fields or a school and fly. Always a rc funfly or event to attend all over IL and IN since iam close to the border . I will retire soon and move west where it does not snow but i will miss flying all over in this state. The boys in IN sent me their copy of events around here this was their pdf of them .

Thanks road king:), I hope he ends up with someone like you to help him,
sometimes it's more than just flying to kids, it's wonder and amazement And "I can do it! Ya!:ws:" I wiped a lot of runnie noses and tears though the years as well, Though my more boring times in RC the Kids are what kept me in it;-), only had three solos last year but have two already this year:D, bubsteve

road king 97 02-23-2013 05:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If he moves close by me would love to help ,i have alot of kids and 13 grand kids learning to fly plus one i adopted when he was young and his children now. lol We have E-fest way south of me and we fly in a dome or local high school around where i live in the winter. I belong to a club but also fly at two different sites close by my house with fathers and their sons. My little guy is 10 now learning on a apprentice so we fly anywhere he feels like going to that day. He also has helped me cut out parts for my builds and and sand them real close so hope one day he will be a pretty good builder . :D I also have a couple slowly's your little guy moving here is welcome to fly . joe

Murocflyer 02-24-2013 04:36 AM

Wow Joe, you are a busy guy!

Good for you.

Frank

Nitro Blast 02-26-2013 03:57 PM

Frank,
Sorry I didnt see this earlier. What do you need from me to list me?

Murocflyer 02-27-2013 04:55 AM


Originally Posted by Nitro Blast (Post 902023)
Frank,
Sorry I didnt see this earlier. What do you need from me to list me?

Thanks for volunteering Jim! Just need to know how you want to be listed. We have flight instructor, (planes and/or helis) assist with building (planes and/or helis) and whatever you would like to add.

Thanks again!

Frank


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:10 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.06273 seconds with 7 queries