WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

barmonkey 08-05-2008 08:57 PM

7car7, that is from the back cover of Squadron/Signal "S.E.5a in Action" (#69 in the series).

Don if you want some more color...although white isn't much of a color...that book has a profile with similar markings as yours...but the radiator, wheels, and rear stabilizer (including the landing skid) are white. But it shows the wing mounted Lewis gun...the Vickers was mounted on/in the fuselage.

barmonkey 08-05-2008 09:01 PM

Oops, just noticed that you painted your stab blue...

Kadena Tower 08-05-2008 09:21 PM

Wheelus AB alumni

Originally Posted by 50+AirYears (Post 358108)
While stationed at Wheelus, I did get to see the aftermath of pilots becoming target fascinated with rocket flare or tracers on a ground attack run. Plane goes out as a big F-105-F or F-4, and comes back as a couple 45' flatbed trailers loaded with shredded metal in a bunch of 55 gallon drums. Three funeral services on base, and a quiet memorial service for the back seater from the 105.

Hey, 50+... We may have been at Wheelus AB about the same time. I was a tower controller there mid '67 to Dec. '68. I recall one F-4 that augered in at the El Qwuotia gunnery range from target fixation. I think only the EWO got out of that one. Also had a F-100D from the 301 TFW out of Spain land gear-up, try to go around with afterburner but wound up sliding into his #2 man at the far end of the runway. (Both pilots survived). We had to recover remaining airborne range flights on the parallel taxiway with no arresting barriers.

The dart drops next to the runway were sometimes a bit dicey, too. Had one that clipped the comm antennas on the control tower and one that hit the equipment trailer at the GCA unit. Saw many that came back as clean as they left and just a few as you described; almost unrecognizable. Once they lost aerodynamic stability they were often just dumped in the Med.

Is it just me, or did you also have a hard time figuring out how Friday's "Quiet Hour" (1PM-3PM) was two hours long? LOL

Gae'falec, sadeki! ~KT

barmonkey 08-05-2008 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here ya go Don...

degreen60 08-05-2008 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by barmonkey (Post 452514)
7car7, that is from the back cover of Squadron/Signal "S.E.5a in Action" (#69 in the series).

Don if you want some more color...although white isn't much of a color...that book has a profile with similar markings as yours...but the radiator, wheels, and rear stabilizer (including the landing skid) are white. But it shows the wing mounted Lewis gun...the Vickers was mounted on/in the fuselage.

I should have said wing mounted Lewis. The artical I read about the gun not mounted was because they had not arrived in time for the first flight. They were mounted later.

Just a guess but the color on the radiator, wheels, stabilizer, and landing skid maybe flight colors. One flight was blue, another white, maybe more colors too. When I painted the radiator and wheels the blue is lighter than the covering I use on the stabilzer and skid. I have some lighter blue so I may change the covering and the diamond.

I have some pictures of plane #19 in light blue same as the picture you posted. The picture of plane #11 I have is only a pencel drawing so no color. Now I suppose someone will find a color picture of #11 and it will be RED. LOL

degreen60 08-06-2008 03:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Add a few more items and it will be ready to crash, oops, fly.

7car7 08-08-2008 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
degreen, it's looking very cool. Completely different plane!

Started tackling the new wings on my SE5a also - I screwed up some of the aileron covering, when shrinking, so I cut out a section of the old wings' covering. Surprised to see, there was actually quite a lot of damage to those wings from hitting the goal post - most of the ribs are broken along the wood grain. It's all fixable, but wow, it took a beating.

I'm SLOWLY making progress on my Albatros, go HERE to check out the latest...

teaser \/\/\/

FlyingMonkey 08-08-2008 03:29 PM

wow... I like it

WWI Ace 08-09-2008 09:39 PM

You do realize Degreen that the ONLY person that has to like your plane is YOU right? You just make it however you want and go have fun with it!! I've been thinking about doing one of the D7s the way it would have been had I flown in WWI. Steve

Cookie 08-09-2008 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
WWI Ace, I agree. Paint it like YOU like it. I have a Corvette and I put racing stripes on it, a "no no" in the Corvette cliques. I like it. I drive it. They can bite me.

WWI Ace 08-09-2008 11:10 PM

Alot of classic Chevys came with rally stripes factory applied!! Makes me start wishing I had my '71 Cuda back!! Steve

scalercflyer 08-10-2008 03:37 AM

Vette racing stripe

Good for you Cookie! :cool::D My sentiments exactly, although I would have been a little more specific about naming the area to bite! :eek::D;) I think they get the message anyway! ;) Marty

Cookie 08-10-2008 04:21 AM

Well I can't afford a Viper, but I sure do like the racing stripes on the Viper. So, I'll have to settle for stripes on a Corvette. ;)

7car7 08-11-2008 10:17 PM

Stripes are great! I have a Dodge Magnum, and some of my buddies have put on stripes. SOME tend to turn their noses up at the thought of a Dodge having Chevy stripes, or Mustang stripes, but who cares! Do what makes you happy... While you can...

Cookie 08-11-2008 10:19 PM

I agree.

7car7 08-11-2008 10:20 PM

Albatros Interplane Struts

So, does anyone happen to know, what the interplane struts are made of on a real Albatros?

They seem to almost always be painted gray, or maybe black or red depending on the rest of the scheme, but I've never seen them just "wood". If they're metal, I'd understand that, but they sure look like they're made of wood.

I do know that the cabanes are metal tubing.

Cookie 08-11-2008 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this photo doing an image search.

7car7 08-11-2008 10:37 PM

Yep, the alatros are very similar to those, how they're tapered at the ends, unlike the cabanes that are the same diameter all the way thru.

barmonkey 08-11-2008 10:58 PM

I am pretty sure that the interplane struts as well as the cabanes and undercarraige struts were all made of metal.

Go to theaerodrome.com you may have to register to see the photos. There is a ton of info on just about anything WWI. Look for a thread called "Albatros D II / D III news"...this guy is building full size replicas...good stuff!

barmonkey 08-11-2008 11:00 PM

Linky
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/re...-iii-news.html

barmonkey 08-11-2008 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic...it's a DIII, but should be the same...

WWI Ace 08-12-2008 01:18 AM

I bought a Dodge Magnum for my wife. It's the Inferno Red. It has the high ouput V6 in it. No stripes but still a good car!! Steve

scalercflyer 08-12-2008 02:30 AM

Stripes

I've got a pair of striped drawers. :eek: Does that count??? ????:D Martin

Cookie 08-12-2008 05:17 AM

Only if you hang them from your antenna.

Biplane Murphy 08-12-2008 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 455767)
only if you hang them from your antenna.

hahahahhahhahahhahhahhahha...................... :q