WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   WWI Era (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   WWI planes (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259)

scalercflyer 10-21-2005 12:04 AM

Tripe

Guess who has the plans for the Tripehound??!!:D Martin

WWI Ace 10-21-2005 12:14 AM

Say, some of those planes have too many wings!!!

WWI Ace 10-21-2005 12:15 AM

Where's Muttly????!!!!

Walt Thyng 10-21-2005 02:09 PM

Been doing a little research and noted that the "scallops" on the Tripe wings are not as pronounced as modelers tend to make them.

Now I have two questions that I can probably "google", but you guys are more fun (-:

1: nearly all the Dr.1 photos show a light color on the wing underside. What is it?

2: When the horizontal tail has stripes are they on the bottom also?

TIA
Walt

Ron 10-21-2005 07:04 PM

Walt:
underside colour is light/powderish blue.. I think that monokote sky? blue is the right colour...
pics I have suggest that the stripes are on both sides of the horiz stab...but I'm not positive on this one since I didn't use the striped tail group....however both sides of the D V1 and the D V111 are striped
The scallops are actually caused from the cable trailing edge that was used in the full sized plane, and the tension of the covering caused the
distortion....this WASN'T done to make the plane " look better" It just happened.

mikeceleskey 10-21-2005 08:06 PM

I give up scalercflyer.....who?????
Mike

Walt Thyng 10-21-2005 08:07 PM

Thanks ron,
I knew the reason for the scalloping, but like I said most models exaggerate it. I was browsing a site whic is trying t identify all 320 Dr.1s built and it has a lot of original photos. In most of them the scalloping is very hard to detect.
thanks for the hint on underwing color.
Walt

50+AirYears 10-21-2005 08:26 PM

Probably in most scale sizes, the scalloping might not even be visible if not exagerated.

WWI Ace 10-21-2005 11:37 PM

The light blue color on the underside of the Fokker triplane is correct. However, according to some of my reference material it depends on who's tripe you model as to the tail stripes going all the way around. Steve.

Walt Thyng 10-22-2005 12:18 AM

for those of you who wanted to see my Direct Connections Sea Fury finished as the Reno racer "Furias," it's in the November Ampeer.
Walt

WWI Ace 10-22-2005 01:38 AM

Hey guys, go to www.lxmodel.com and check out these little birds sold by giantscaleplanes.com on their website. These are some pretty cool, fairly scale appearing planes. I just hate the crazy see-through covering they use!! Steve

scalercflyer 10-22-2005 03:01 AM

What's your favorite?

What is your favorite covering and how do you install it? Any problems putting it on or finishing it? :confused: Also I'd like to hear from has anyone who has used the Pull/Pull control system. :) I haven't done one yet, but I'm planning on using it on my next WWI plane (Fokker DVIII). I'd like to have a little help. Martin

Walt Thyng 10-22-2005 05:09 AM

I finished my Camel in polyester dress lining from Walmart. Went on easily. Seal with nitrate dope and regular dope. Paint with latex.

Two tricks on pull/pull systems. First and most critical is to have the distance between the attach points on both ends exactly equal. You can save some wear and tear on your servos by going thru a belcrank/ idler. The second big trick is not to over tighten the cables. Put just enough tension on them so they don't sag at extreme travel.
Walt

scalercflyer 10-22-2005 07:14 PM

Dress Lining

Walt, tell me some more about the dress lining (name). Is it the same stuff Aerodrome RC sells? How much was it and what do I have to ask for? I think it is the same material that I have a roll of. Aerodrome sell it in 25 foot rolls for about 20 + dollars. Maybe it's cheaper at Wal-mart. Do you use an adhesive with it? Martin

WWI Ace 10-22-2005 07:27 PM

Hey Martin!!! I'm working on the DVIII!!! I have all the patterns cut out and most glued to wood. Forgot a couple sizes of wood though so I will spend the rest of the afternoon going to my LHS, ( that is 65 miles away) to get the rest of the wood. Hopefully break out the scroll saw this evening and start cutting. Just wanted to let you know that I'm on it. Did you reieve your "package" from me yet? Should be there Monday for sure if you haven't seen it yet. Steve.

WWI Ace 10-22-2005 07:28 PM

Hey Walt!!! Hurry up and finish that triplane!!! You're killing me not letting me know who's tripe your going to do!!!! Steve

scalercflyer 10-22-2005 07:38 PM

Nothing yet

Good Show WWI Ace! Keep on building. I trust you will post pics for the rest of us to enjoy. No, haven't seen the package yet. Probably by Monday for sure :D . The tracking number you gave me is missing a number or letter. I'm not able to track it. BTW, you should look to your mailbox next week. I'm thinking by Friday your package should land at your door. You realize I am at a terrible dilemma don't you :eek: ? I need to decide which plane to build first.... Oh the Heck with it! I'll do a simultaneous build :D !!!! Martin

WWI Ace 10-22-2005 07:56 PM

Build "em all!!! That's what they're for!!! Steve

WWI Ace 10-22-2005 08:02 PM

Hey Martin. Waiting for the wife to get home from work to make the journey to hobby shop. I saved the email from UPS, and your probably right that I might have left out a number or something. Anyway, I looked it up and it was scanned today at 12:45am in Lawnside, NJ if you know where that is. I don't have a clue!!! Anyway, it must be close. Steve.

Walt Thyng 10-22-2005 10:30 PM

Martin,
all I can tell yo is that it is standard polyester dress/coat lining material. I think it was about .50/yd. I used Balsarite as the adhesive (fabric formula). One coat of nitrate dope and two of aerogloss. No other primer. Takes about a week for all the solvents to evaporate from the dope befoe you can apply the finish. Has to be reshrucnk after every coat of dope. Then it is very stable. It is also easy to repair (don't ask me how I know). Very light.
Walt

WWI Ace, I was going to start covering today, then some nut case posted the two hor History channel dogfight special. maybe during the World series tonight.
WT

scalercflyer 10-23-2005 12:37 AM

Found it!

Aerodrome RC calls it POLYSPAN. I think it's the same stuff.;) I'm going to purchase some at the local WAL-MART. I'm told this is great covering to use on those fragile structures without adding weight or crushing the structure. :) You can spray just enough paint on it to color it. Aerodrome RC gets big bucks for it. Thanks to Walt I think we hit the jackpot Gents. :D Search E-zone for the polyspan threads for more info. Martin

scalercflyer 10-23-2005 12:40 AM

The package

WWI ACE the package is closeby!!! Lawnside is the local depot near me. Should be here Monday! YEAH BABY!!!! :D Also see my response to Walt's covering suggestion. Martin

WWI Ace 10-23-2005 02:05 AM

Martin's already covering!!! Boy do I feel lazy!!! Steve.

scalercflyer 10-23-2005 02:12 AM

Not yet!

Not yet Buddy! I'm still in the parts cutting out stage. Soon though. Check out Walt's covering discussion. I think you'll like it. Saves you $. :D How about your covering technique? Martin

Walt Thyng 10-23-2005 04:43 AM

I covered a Lazy bee with polyspan. It's similar, but not the same. actually the dress lining was easier to work with.
Walt